• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time to Dump Time Zones (NYT Op-ed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Septimius

Don't most companies have some sort of daily schedule/timetable on their website? You could just look that up, the only difference would be that you wouldn't have to add +/-X to adjust for time zones.

But the way it is today, you can search "what time is it in X", and see immediately if it's reasonable to assume it to be currently open or not. Having to look up the exact place makes for a much more complicated situation.

Septimius

It's not like POSIX time and time manipulation libraries exist, huh?

Exactly. I say again that it's representing time that's a programmer's challenge. I would agree to a universal standard of representing time, but "earth time" as nothing to do with that.

Says the guy from the only major country in the world that continues to Fail to adopt something the rest of the world uses: the metric system.

If there's one stubborn decision that only you (and two other small countries) continue to refuse to make that creates constant confusion, wastes time and money is the US' refusal to adopt a worldwide and superior measurement system. I'll happily give up time zones if that means I don't have to ever see again a blueprint with hilarious measurements like 5' 14/64".

ty_hot

ok idea for those that work with people from other countries
VERY bad idea for those that actually travel to other countries

mashoutposse

Ante Up
We will immediately regress back into a timezone-based way of keeping time.

The question will be, "At what time UTC does the sun rise/set in X location?" You need this to gauge the time of day of that X region relative to your own. That more or less constant difference is a timezone offset, which is exactly what the current system provides. The only practical change of the new proposed system is the removal of the semantic meaning of specific times ("noon", "midnight", etc) - arguably a major downgrade.

This is not well thought out. This is what happens when software engineers are left to design products.

Durante

We will immediately regress back into a timezone-based way of keeping time.

The question will be, "At what time UTC does the sun rise/set in X location?" You need this to gauge the time of day of that X region relative to your own. That more or less constant difference is a timezone offset, which is exactly what the current system provides. The only practical change of the new proposed system is the removal of the semantic meaning of specific times - arguably a major downgrade.
This is actually exactly the conclusion we got to when discussing this issue at work last week.

(On the other hand, killing off DST is long overdue)

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
No thanks, it's perfectly fine the way it is.

This.

I like knowing that 8am anywhere in the world(except perhaps the Arctic) is morning.

There are advantages to removing time zones but not enough to actually remove them.

No thanks, it's perfectly fine the way it is.

It's not. One time zone would be nice (A number is relative yet causes more menial work for developing systems and such) and we should also do away with daylight savings time.

It won't happen though. but I hope DST does go away at some point.

Knee jerk reaction:

What a stupid idea!

Actually having thought about it, and the implications on a global scale for adopting one shared time keeping measurement:

What a brilliant idea!

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I don't understand the benefits of this? Seems like you're trading the mental burden of figuring out what time it is somewhere for the mental burden of figuring out what time do people do X in a specific place, like:

this is the big problem. As a developer and a person with common sense... time zones fucking suck, BUT... it at least seems a little bit more sane to make me figure out what time it is in Japan to know if someone is awake to answer the phone, than it does for me to figure out what the position of the sun is in japan (or not) to get an idea if it is in the middle of their day or at their evening or such.

Are time zones really that much of an inconvenience for people? I travel through time zones a ton and I have never had an issue cause my phone automatically switches over.

Lets do it. There really isn't a purpose for having a million different time zones other than to make the numbers look nice and pretty and aligned with 12-12. It wouldn't even be all that much painful a switch either, after the second day you would more or less have your own region's cycle down, and after a week you would have the timeslots that you work within known.

Plus as a bright side, it would mean that we also got rid of Daylight Savings Time!

D i Z

People who rail against DST crack me up. For the rest of us that have to go outside and actually see what we're doing, it's great.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That might be the worst idea I have seen in quite some time.

Swatch time baby!

Skype me at 680. Everyone will be on time no matter where they are in world. Enough of this math bs to figure out what time zone they're in.

Septimius

Knee jerk reaction:

What a stupid idea!

Actually having thought about it, and the implications on a global scale for adopting one shared time keeping measurement:

What a brilliant idea!

If by some magic we could have everyone follow this "earth time", as in, get up at the same time all around the world, then that would be nifty. However, we won't. We don't. It would make all of that even more complicated. It's a horrible idea. If you wonder what arguments there are against this, just look at my previous posts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFhQ49qsfIQ

Time zones are overrated, people will get used to a universal time zone if they give it a chance.

Until you have to travel. Or you wonder if it's night or day in a different part of the world, and you realize that UTC gives you no information about that. And when you have to translate all times when you're traveling.

It's stupid.

Sean C

It wouldn't even be all that much painful a switch either, after the second day you would more or less have your regions cycle down.
People would adjust to the hours issue (though this would seemingly render calendar days unworkable, since most of the world's population would transition from one day to the next in the middle of a business day) for their local needs. But it would render communication with people in different parts of the world more difficult, which is the problem this thing notionally wants to solve.

Timeaisis

OK, you clever people. How would days work in this theoretical mass-UTC system? Is today Tuesday or Wednesday? Or is it Tuesday/Wednesday? What about for the eastern hemisphere? If we agreed it's Tuesday is it still Tuesday even though they are sleeping right now, maybe even about to wake up for the day after Tuesday? Or does their Tuesday now just bleed into a new day? Because that's not confusing at all.

Hmmmmm?

Imagine the change to tv and films!?

Instead of being woken up by a phone call in the middle of the night and saying

"Do you know what time it is!?"

We get

"Do you know what the sun's position is relative to my current location!?"

It's like a bad BBT joke.

noquarter

Think this is a dumb idea. It is nice having a relative idea of the day based around the sun the sun in the sky. I like knowing that noon is the midday point no matter where I am and that when it gets dark it is probably around 7-8.

I do work with people ask over the world, but never really have a problem dealing with the time. Make sure I let them know if I'm talking my time or try to use Zulu time so they can do the math easier.

People should just use Zulu Time more. Maybe it will catch on with the public.
It is pretty much used like a universal time anyways. Would make sense for news stories to use this, as long as they also told you what the difference of time in the location of story, such as "at 1517 ZULU (local -7) such and such happened". Gives you an idea of what time it was for you and a relative idea of the time of day where the event happened, 8 in the morning, probably around the time the locals were going to work/school.

Tevious

Daylight Savings Time needs to go, though. As someone who grew up in the US and now lives overseas in a non-DST country, it's great. It's annoying having to keep track of whether it's 13 or 14 hours difference from my family back home.

ZOONAMI

Better yet, let's get rid of time all together, then we can finally be done with deadlines and meetings and just do whatever we want all the time. Mass anarchy is the solution to all my problems.

ZOONAMI

Daylight Savings Time needs to go, though. As someone who grew up in the US and now lives overseas in a non-DST country, it's great. It's annoying having to keep track of whether it's 13 or 14 hours difference from my family back home.

Hate it. Why the fuck is it getting dark out at 5pm all of a sudden. Brilliant. /s

Melon Husk

Wat. No, dump DST. Makes as much sense as voting on weekdays.
People who rail against DST crack me up. For the rest of us that have to go outside and actually see what we're doing, it's great.

People are usually in favour of staying in summer time, and not going back to winter time.

Time Zones are a logical system to measure time on a spherical surface. Why change what works? Going with one-world time seems like a stupid idea to me.

Timeaisis

Also, sorry I keep ranting about this because this is a freaking stupid idea, BUT this doesn't even eliminate the problem with business dealings or add any form of convenience to scheduling. Let's imagine...

"Hey, let's chat about this at 3:00 pm UTC tomorrow".

Great, well...hmm. Tomorrow he means like UTC tomorrow, right? OK, just making sure, because today is the next "day" for me but the previous "day" for me. We had to abolish the days of the week, because that no longer makes any sense because "days" are based on the apparent rise and fall of the sun more than time itself. Considering the eastern hemisphere "wakes up for the next day" while the previous UTC day is still happening, it had to go.

Ok, I'll just assume the person means 3:00 PM UTC like whatever day tomorrow is, regardless of the sun's position in the sky right now. So if today's UTC date is 11/8 he means 11/9. OK. That's clear. I think.

Oh, damn, I just realized he didn't account for MY time zone...er...my time...er...uh...I mean my solar position. Yeah. Because 3:00 PM UTC here is actually "midnight' here. And by "midnight" I mean like 12 "hours" "past" "noon". Whereas noon I mean not 12:00, of course, I mean when the sun is in the highest position in the sky. Anyway, yeah, 3:00 pm is inconvenient for me because I will be asleep. Let me just explain that to him real quick.

"Hi, yes, I can't do 3:00 pm UTC tomorrow. I will be asleep."
"Oh, is that so?"
"Yes, it's midnight here."
"Midnight?"
"Well, I mean like night. It's night time and I will be ending my day."
"Your Day?"
"Oh, right, right, we don't really have days anymore. I mean ending my solar day. The end of the solar cycle for my time zone...er I mean my solar region."
"OK, when are you available?"
"Why don't we do 9:00 am UTC?"
"Hmm...OK I think that works for me. It's a shame there isn't an easier way to schedule things using our human constructed time system."
"Indeed."

Op-Ed author should just move to Arizona.

I love, love, love it when we turn back the clock in the fall! But springing forward does take me a few weeks to adjust.

I'm ok with it the way it is.

EDIT: For people who have trouble keeping up with what time it is in other parts of the world, feel free to consult time and date as often as you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom