• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time's Interview with Nintendo's President Tatsumi Kimishima (Some NX info)

Except the only reason it was a cross gen release was because Wii and GameCube hardware were nearly identical. If NX turns out to be an overclocked Wii U, only then would I expect a port.

That's not the only reason. Nintendo needed a core killer app for their console, and a nearly-complete Zelda fit the bill.

And it worked. TP was the best selling Zelda since Ocarina of Time.

I would like Nintendo to use/adapt "Modules."

Modules could be a add-on through USB who lets you plays retro consoles.
Let me explain:
The new Nintendo console will not have backwards compatibility, however, if you want to, you can buy a Module for (50-80 dollars) connect it to your NX and then you can play your old games. Be it Wii, WiiU or Gamecube.

a) Gamecube Module = 50USD. let's you play all gamecube games that you own through discs.
b) Wii Module = 80USD. Let's you play all wii games that you own through discs.
c) WiiU Module = 100USD. Let's you play all WiiU Games that you own through discs.

You can also download them, but then, they will not be compatible with your modules.

Could also work for retro consoles, but instead of old cartridges, they can use SD Cards.

This would make people who own physical happy, while those who wants digital just can download them.

Why not just release one module with all three functionalities? Gamecube and Wii are pretty old tech and more importantly, VERY similar. Adding back-compat of their games /w a Wii U module would not cost much at all.

Individually they certainly wouldn't be worth 50 or 100 b/c you can easily pick up Gamecubes and Wii's w/ cables and controllers for under $40 and $70 respectively.

Mobius 1

A Nintendo console with powerful hardware receiving the same amount of 3rd party attention as Sony and Microsoft machines would be something else.

Kito

LAvsiP6.png

ss-hikaru

In fact, you may even be seeing Nintendo characters more often in the clothing and shoes that people wear.

They should team up with Uniqlo!!! King of Games stuff is a bit on the pricey side....

I see that Cospa have Mario and Luigi outfits now. Should branch out
to Rosalina pls
. Also a lot of the outfits (like Tanuki and Cat) in Mario games would probably make really good kigurumis.

StevieP

Banned
Why not just release one module with all three functionalities? Gamecube and Wii are pretty old tech and more importantly, VERY similar. Adding back-compat of their games /w a Wii U module would not cost much at all.

Individually they certainly wouldn't be worth 50 or 100 b/c you can easily pick up Gamecubes and Wii's w/ cables and controllers for under $40 and $70 respectively.

You can't emulate a full system with a "module".

Maengun1

I always think "next" in regards to the mystery of the NX name, personally.

Anyway, I really really hope this thing supports the gamepad or some sort of equivalent because I really love off-tv play and use it constantly, but it's clear they should include a "normal" smaller controller of some sort because people will complain if they don't. The reveal of the NX needs to be a home-run.

Zalman

The key takeaway from this interview is that NX is certainly a console. In fact, none of this or the previous interviews refer to anything portable.
Ishihara from The Pokémon Company talked about bringing over Pokémon Bank to the NX. Since Pokémon Bank is only compatible with the main series, and since the main series is only on handhelds, I'm assuming NX is a code name used to refer to both.

correojon

The company intends to keep making software for the Wii-U

So we can’t just abandon them and say ‘Hey, it’s time to move on to the next thing.’ Of course we are working on NX and looking at the experiences we can bring to that platform. But first our job at this point is to support the consumers who have purchase Wii U and make sure that they have software experiences available to them.”
Nintendo makes many mistakes, but one thing I love of them and that will always keep me getting their consoles is their respect for their users in every regard. No shit in games (no bugs, no ways to get stuck, high quality control, great polish...), ethical DLC strategy, things like the early adopter rewards and now, even if things aren´t going well for them, no leaving WiiU users behind and just going for something new. Also, things like Iwata cutting his salary twice when thigns weren´t looking bright to avoid having to fire people, and let those people continue working on the company to try turn thigns around was amazing and worth of much recognition. In Spain we just had a case of a very big company going bankrupt and leaving many people on the street months after the big bosses gave themselves a bonus of 3M €.
In this regard, Nintendo is really a mirror in which all companies (not just game related) should try to look themselves in and as long as they keep doing this they can count with me as a customer.

FOURTH PILLAR CONFIRMED.

To me, all this article has done is add more obscurity to what the NX is actually going to be. I need details Nintendo.

it will be another not-really-powerful console with gimmicks and Nintendo software with Nintendo Software Droughts™

Hermii

I always think "next" in regards to the mystery of the NX name, personally.

Anyway, I really really hope this thing supports the gamepad or some sort of equivalent because I really love off-tv play and use it constantly, but it's clear they should include a "normal" smaller controller of some sort because people will complain if they don't. The reveal of the NX needs to be a home-run.
My prediction is that nx handheld will have gamepad functionality but it won't be an essential part of the home console

Top Bottom