• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU PRO Patch 1.08 - Supersampling removed from all modes [Up: New DF video]

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
There's clearly something happening here.

Either the future FW will bring it,
OR
There's another bandwitch issue like anisotropic filtering, like, maybe it's not that free when memory is shared.

Even if it seems highly unlikely, I'm gonna wonder about that possibility.
If that was the case, it couldn't even manage the uhd modes period.

Falcs

Banned
This sucks!! I knew I shouldn't have turned on auto updates on my PS4! I'm so pissed. I only turned it on a few days before they released this update and then it installed automatically. If only I had known...

I have some screenshots that I took with SS on before the patch, they look incredible! The game now feels like I'm playing on PS3 again! What the hell, NaughtyDog! I'm so disappointed. :(

Surely they wouldn't remove SS after Cerny making a big deal out of the advantages of PS4 Pro for 1080p HDTV users at the reveal ?

I'll be super pissed and probably just sell mine if they have.

JP

Smells like an SDK update is coming soon and they're bound by NDA...
I'm not sure if it will be soon but I do hope that this is what's going to happen. Super sampling has been an absolute game changer for me and the thought of it happening by default on all PS4 games would be a dream situation for me.

Honestly, it's difficult to explain to people who haven't experienced it yet just what a difference it makes to the overall image quality of games.

With the leaked documentation and what seems to be playing out with a selection of games on the PS4 Pro, this rumoured solution dose seem to fit in perfectly with what's been happening.

Anybody up for a surprise Christmas present firmware on the 25th? It's not going to happen but, damn, that would be good. :)

Right now I am just enjoying the more steady framerates on BF1. I do believe the newer big titles coming in 2017 will all have super sampling on them but time will tell.

onQ123

I don't think this has anything to do with ND because if you notice the games that are coming out lately do not have super sampling & the newer patches don't have it either.

Most likely they are going to make VSR system level.

Nada.
But we have more negative news on the general story.

- Dishonored 2 has a big update but without the supersampling fix. Bethesda and Arkane don't want to comment.

- The Ezio Collection runs at perfect 4k/ 30 fps locked but no downsampling for 1080p users. Supersampling works only for 4k tv if switching to 1080p

- To be verified: according to some users the Last Guardian 1.03 patch slightly improves the framerate for the 4k mode. So now the 1080p mode runs similar to 4k mode, but without supersampling.

Smells like an SDK update is coming soon and they're bound by NDA...

believe_nischala.jpg

vpance

Mafia 3 1.05 patch gives supersampling in 1080p.

Seems more like most devs are choosing not to put SS in because they're scared of getting hit with those worse performance articles.

Stranya

Seems more like most devs are choosing not to put SS in because they're scared of getting hit with those worse performance articles.
I think this is the answer.

But if that's the case, I wish they'd just add a downsampling option, with a suitable explanation and "warning". Then everyone's happy.

That's what QA testing is for.

The fact that they release broken patches (AC Syndicate says hi) is mind-boggling. QA has gone out the window and it's Sony's fault for being so lenient.

vpance

I think this is the answer.

But if that's the case, I wish they'd just add a downsampling option, with a suitable explanation and "warning". Then everyone's happy.

I guess even an option seems to be too much work for most devs. Hope we can chalk this up to Pro launch window woes.

The fact that they release broken patches (AC Syndicate says hi) is mind-boggling. QA has gone out the window and it's Sony's fault for being so lenient.

If they deem it a priority for QA, sure. Anyways, QA can't be expected to catch everything, and if one or two instances of worse performance is enough to draw attention then that might be enough of a deterrent to not include SS.

Until this all gets sorted, the wait for a 4K TV will be painful :/

There is no evidence to suggest that supersampling has an impact on performance. If the "4K" mode has worse performance they will still get dinged regarding of supersampling.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I guess even an option seems to be too much work for most devs. Hope we can chalk this up to Pro launch window woes.

If they deem it a priority for QA, sure. Anyways, QA can't be expected to catch everything, and if one or two instances of worse performance is enough to draw attention then that might be enough of a deterrent to not include SS.

Until this all gets sorted, the wait for a 4K TV will be painful :/

QA quite likely caught everything. It is not the department that can fix those issues. I have some ex game testers here and they are good, darn good.

BHK3

Banned
The lack of communication about this is ridiculous, and from Naughty Dog of all people.

?? They've never been ones for communication, look at all of the shit they get for multiplayer that they've NEVER acknowledged since Uncharted 2. They just release their games and people praise them, they never actually do anything after that, U4 is the only slight outlier here.

There was nothing wrong with the first Pro patch. The game didn't have to run better than OG PS4 because the mode is called unlocked FPS not "60fps" and it's rendering at 1800p instead of 1080p! But people like to ignore that and say it's "performing worse at 1080p"

jackal27

Banned
No they're not. Don't like them? Don't but them. Simple. Many people want them. Just because you don't want to spend money on something, it doesn't mean it's a "mistake"

It does if it begins to affect the games that we play on the consoles we did want to spend money one, or if it you know affects the industry negatively overall as far as console development goes.

It does if it begins to affect the games that we play on the consoles we did want to spend money one, or if it you know affects the industry negatively overall as far as console development goes.

It's not a mistake. Battlefiled 1 was reason enough for me to upgrade. It's also nice to have no performance issues with The Last Guardian. Games like Nioh and Nier Automata show that the benefits will continue. You have no proof of any negative effect on base PS4 performance. If you want to stick with same tech for 5 or 6 years that's a personal decision that you have to live with. Don't try to drag the rest of us down with you.

ookami

If you want to stick with same tech for 5 or 6 years that's a personal decision that you have to live with.
IMO, they should have dropped the OG and pushed further the tech for the Pro if it's for 5 or 6 years... Remember how PS3 was an hindrance for PS4 multiplatform games in game design ?
While it's not as inpactful (Cell / Jaguar processor architecture) don't you think it would have been better for them to allocate people on fixing/optimizing games for one system (trying to escape the PC workflow with day one patches) instead of having more work on both systems for a pro patch ?

How does it affect the games on OG PS4 negatively? You can still play all the games on your OG PS4 the same way as if the Pro doesn't exist.

?? They've never been ones for communication, look at all of the shit they get for multiplayer that they've NEVER acknowledged since Uncharted 2. They just release their games and people praise them, they never actually do anything after that, U4 is the only slight outlier here.
Yeah, it's always funny when I see SP-only fans praising "Naughty Gods". People who also play their MP games know very well that ND dropped the ball communication-wise long time ago...

IMO, they should have dropped the OG and pushed further the tech for the Pro if it's for 5 or 6 years... Remember how PS3 was an hindrance for PS4 multiplatform games in game design ?
While it's not as inpactful (Cell / Jaguar processor architecture) don't you think it would have been better for them to allocate people on fixing/optimizing games for one system (trying to escape the PC workflow with day one patches) instead of having more work on both systems for a pro patch ?
OG PS4 has sold more than 40 million consoles. They're not going to abandon it any time soon.

How does it affect the games on OG PS4 negatively? You can still play all the games on your OG PS4 the same way as if the Pro doesn't exist.
No. AC Syndicate is broken for everyone, including OG PS4 owners. That's BS.

jackal27

Banned

At the moment yes and it's looking like it might stay that way, but still wary that owning the first version of an iterative console is soon going to mean games lacking visual fidelity, features, etc. much in the way owning an old PC would.

If that's the case, yes, iterative consoles will negatively affect the console market as a whole in my opinion.

Hairsplash

IMO We going to have to wait for the scorpio to be released...
because if we are to believe Microsoft's "spec list for the scorpio" the ps4pro may have a rough time competing with the Scorpio...
therefore, Sony/"the studios" will have to start trying harder, by stop removing features "because they are to hard to implement"

mattp

the fact that sony didn't just plan for the ps4 pro firmware to have system level support for supersampling on 1080p displays is kind of crazy
what a fucking misstep

it would be simpler for devs and consumers.

KORNdoggy

can't believe this still hasn't been addressed.

the whole push for 4k gaming with these mid gen consoles reeks of desperation to sell the 4k TV's no-one really wants or needs. devs holding back supersampling for 1080p users feels like the same thing. holding back a feature so people rush out and buy some sony 4k set so they can actually see a difference on their new console they just bought.

There is no evidence to suggest that supersampling has an impact on performance. If the "4K" mode has worse performance they will still get dinged regarding of supersampling.

Well it really depends on the game and how many ms the supersampling pass takes and how much headroom in the 16.7ms budget the game has. If a game is on the edge of that budget, supersampling could very well be pushing it over the budget.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
They worked quickly with the community (even invited someone from GAF to test iirc) to improve the aiming acceleration issue in UC3. Compared to that, the silence on this issue is deafening.

On the other hand, they didn't remove supersampling from UC4, even though there have been patches since. So it doesn't seem there's some Sony mandated rule on this.

Well it really depends on the game and how many ms the supersampling pass takes and how much headroom in the 16.7ms budget the game has. If a game is on the edge of that budget, supersampling could very well be pushing it over the budget.
We can safely assume that's not the case in TLOU however as the 4K / 30 mode never had any issues being downsampled to 1080p. Before they removed it, I mean.

At this point i just wish they would say something, even if they say the game will no longer be updated....just put me out of my misery already. I have supersampled blue balls waiting for a response.

Top Bottom