• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU2 Factions ~ How to Improve the MP

Let me start off by saying I have literally 0 concerns that the SP is going to be anything but extraordinary. It will end up as one of the best SP campaigns this gen, but I think it will likely end up being the best one like last generation.

Let me also say that for me, TLOU is one of the best MP experiences ever made. Great MP that heavily emphasizes teamwork, enticing to not camp & skill based like few games have ever done online (all three, like no other has done really). It was barren in game modes by some degree (something U4 also suffers in) and could have done better with a few more maps.

Anyways, what do you think we need to see as improvements for this generation's best game? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

9nUiLA9.gif

Here's mine:
- Do not change the core gameplay. My biggest fear is them tweaking too much, or improving what works. This gameplay is simple, but that's what makes it better than other games. I like BF for tanks and horses, but I want this to stay at its core about 4/5 guys in a team vs another where their weapons, creativity and team work solves issues.
- Do not make the online casual. This is basically what happened with Uncharted 3 after 2. Added a bunch of noob aspects to the online that pushed a ton of U2 vets away. The goal should still be about teamwork, moving around the map and based particularly about your skill. These are the draws to the online at its absolute core, so don't fuck with it. I'm ok with U4 as they made a ton of changes to it that changed the overall gameplay, but don't do that for this.
- Maps. Have more of them. U4 MP was drastically hurt IMO by the lack of content when it came out, don't let this be an issue for this. 8 maps to start and regularly start pumping more out every 1-2 months. You got pull people in, maps is going to be the biggest aspect.
- Don't charge for maps/weapons. Keep it for cosmetics. I have some ideas down below where you will always need money, so you can focus on the important aspects having them avaiable to everyone.
- Bottles & Bricks. Just a few, not many so you can spam them. But they can be used like smoke bombs, but less stagger time so you really have to shiv them instantly (or teamwork?) or shoot them quickly after.
- More Game Modes. Unacceptable to have so few. Add the current four modes such as Supply Raid, Interrogation, Survivor, & Last Man Standing. Also have two new modes and start with 6 while adding a new mode every two months. Interrogation needs a bit of work though, it was just boring when I played it. Keep the idea but evolve the idea a bit more. Survivor should be best of 10. They always felt too short for me.
+ Supply Raid 3v3v3 = I don't want TLOU to take too much from Uncharted since they need be their own thing. However a 3v3v3 in this mode would be quite intense and fun.
+ Search & Destroy = Copy/pasted S&D from Call of Duty 1. S&D with TLOU mechanics might be the GOAT game mode in TPS. I want this so bad without some sort of "spin" ND might give. Give me the down and dirty ND, and watch greatness unfold.
+ No Listen Mode = An option where you can't use the Listen Mode.
+ Deathmatch = Everyone for themselves with supply boxes. This shouldn't be hard to program, the only issue would be fixing the spawns and supply locations.
+ Infected Mode = Have some sort of Supply Raid with Infected at different areas of the map.
- 5v5: Add one more player on the team so we can the classic 5v5 clan match ups. All games range up to 10 instead of 8 players per game.
- Custom Mode: This is for friends/clans set up. Decide what modes to play, whether anyone can join your custom server, you need a pw to enter, or only via invite.
- Invest on servers: You didn't with U4 despite getting that paper, please do so for TLOU2.
- Customizable Character: This should be the norm for MP games. Have a default version that you can pick while the map loads or pick from 3 saved customized characters in your roster. You can buy different shirts, pants, and that way you have your male/female character saved up that's ready at all times. You can switch like U4 by pressing a button and picking between 4 options, default that auto picks for you or either of the three saved characters. You can buy and customize said character in the shop explained below for further information.
- Iconic Characters: So you can also unlock after doing special missions (read below for more info) to unlock characters from TLOU1 and TLOU2. So you can unlock then buy Joel and then customize him as one of your three mains for example. There should be plenty of characters to choose from both main line game. ND can get crazy with a future (to buy expansion) and buy Drake, Elena, Sully & Co. in TLOU world visuals for fun. This idea comes primarily from U4 MP. Obviously, they don't need to emphasize word play as much as U4 since most characters are created ones.

167645iE7EA37CB2ED20647

I that for the most part covers it. That would make it basically what I'd play for 2 years straight and make any game other than BF irrelevant online. However, I have an idea to heavily expand on the Factions, from an old post I made over a year ago for the sequel. Since a reality, I don't have to retype it anymore ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Factions MP Story said:
Now I have a feeling this might either be a good idea or something dumb that everyone rightfully trashes me for it, but here we go. Looking at what Kojima has done to Mother Base SP, I think ND can learn a lot from that for online. One thing that I can speak for myself and most friends is that we don't generally give a shit if our people, or how many people we get. There's nothing clicking there.. I think a real cool feature would be to have a 3D camp with actual people walking around the camp. ND can just copy and reuse assets of something from their SP campaign. Since you can customize your character, you start online on the camp. Simply click options and the UI menu appears for game mode, options etc while you're in the camp.

You have the people walking by you, saying a word here or there. They converse with one another, look like they're busy cutting wood, cooking, etc etc. You feel like you know these people, especially if you add the facebook names. You can also have adjustable names for some, for the lulz. So if someone you have seen dies, you might care more about their health. They can also get more creative with what happens to your camp. You can have infected attacking, hunters attacking, disease, loss of food, natural disasters (weather, earthquake), etc. And you suck during an infected attack for example, you might see someone shooting a person who is bit get shot in the face by a family member while you're in camp, just to add to the tension. Graveyards being shown at one side of the camp as well. People sick in beds being taken care of, etc etc.. Also more natural disasters such as weather (snow storms, heavy rain, heavy hail, storms etc) continue to happen the further ahead you go through your factions levels.

Parts playing a more RPG role then before. Lets first start with upgrading guns/perks in TLOU. You get overall 3,500 parts for example, gun x gets unlocked. I think a better way to go about it is choose what you want to upgrade. You go to your shopkeeper at camp, and you choose what you want with the parts you have. So you can get a burst rifle early into the game rather than wait so long if you wish, but know that the gun costs a lot more than something else for example. So you're in charge of what you want. You can also use parts to improve the visuals of the camp. Spend parts at the mechanic to get better looking houses, walls, etc etc. You can spend money on TLOU SP characters and possibly other characters like TLOU version from Uncharted to buy said characters. Basically, there's a ton of ways so you're always spending parts which you get by playing. It would also be cool if you buy camp improvements, and you have to play several games to see the final built results, with ND basically

200.gif

Don't charge for maps/guns/perks. I still think improving the camp should not affect attacks from infected or hunters. But if it does affect it, the difference is not big and the amount of parts for it should be absolutely massive. Also, NaughtyDog can salivate at the idea of taking more money from you, you can spend real money to buy more parts. That means you can get your guns/perks faster and improve your camp at a much faster rate. There can also be a ton of cosmetics for camp visuals added later on that you can unlock some, buy others. See ND, I'm even thinking about your bottom line fam, you're welcome. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

The last part is implementing some sort of clan with actual people. So you have a camp, the people in there and lets say 6 friends that are part of your clan. Remember how I said you have 1 of the 3 characters be part of a clan? Well that works since 1 character is part of camp "name x" and another character is part of camp "name y", that way you're not forever stuck to only one camp. Also with this, everyone involved is important because every actual person that plays affects your camp. So if you have a good team of 5 but your 6th friend is a scrub, he's going to be the one that holds you back. The camp will need certain parts each week so him fucking up keeps ruining a lot of the good work that the other 5 keep doing. This forces you to play together more, since he will have a chance of doing better that way. It's also a way for me to ruin your friendships if you make a tough decision. Cut your friends from the camp and your real life friendship, you're welcome. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Also you gotta pick a leader of the camp, so logically speaking the best player from your crew of friends. You can replace them only when they accept to lose their leadership to someone else. Leader also gets more parts per camp, so it's important to argue and ruin friendships some more on who deserves it. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

You can also give gifts to teammates in the same camp, so giving extra parts to your 6th scrubby member so he stops holding the team back might be something you do as friends instead of improve the camp. There is a parts % extra for giving a gift, so it's more expensive of just buying a gun for a friend then if you normally would do it. Also, playing together with people in the same camp will give you more parts and special %+ bonuses on parts. This will be a huge incentive to get the crew playing together regularly so your camp stays in good shape. I'm sure there's even more possibilities that I haven't thought of, but the general concept is this.

giphy.gif

Allright, I'm done.

Flyinmunky

Loved Factions! Hope it returns in a similar way.

Would even like a bit more to do outside of matches when you choose mission/rewards etc Something bit more engaging than just looking at blue dots and a number.

Would Love the infected to be in the map to spice things up.

***Also do not censor the UK version please! Factions was censored in UK.

No dlc weapons/loadouts and customized characters and weapons. I want to create my character from top to bottom instead of getting a random one or a character from the sp.

Everything else I loved.

Kazooie

Banned
No dlc weapons/loadouts and customized characters and weapons. I want to create my character from top to bottom instead of getting a random one or a character from the sp.

Everything else I loved.
Agree. Keep the core game play the same and don't try to make it a quick paced action fest like Uncharted. Tactical game play is best game play.

Bottles & Bricks. Just a few, not many so you can spam them. But they can be used like smoke bombs, but less stagger time so you really have to shiv them instantly (or teamwork?) or shoot them quickly after.

No,definitely no,this could break completely the combat,no matter if shiv time is shorter.

CrayToes

Pretty much more of the same would be amazing with no DLC weapons. Please for the love of god no "supers" or any other bullshit. I guess less one hit kill weapons would be great too. Molotov spam is the worst thing imaginable.
Survivors mode is one of my favourite MP modes ever in a game. Survivors on Lakeside will forever be my shit.

Oh and don't waste time on stupid emotes and ridiculous customisation options. I'm cool with stuff that fits the setting and I'm cool with microtransactions providing they're purely cosmetic.

do not lock weapons and perks behind paywalls

Jonnax

TLOU was brilliant for MP. I've played probably 200 hours of Interrogations.

However it totally became pay to win with the perks and weapons.
Teams just became a group of Frontier Rifles.

black070

Oh man, I honestly didn't even think of the possibilities - The Last of Us MP to this day is the best of any PS exclusive imo.

Gaz_RB

Nice write up OP. I agree with a lot of what you wrote. I will always have a soft spot for TLOU multiplayer. I really hope they don't change much of the core gameplay--but I wouldn't mind the building out of the meta game around the multiplayer.

I also agree that they cannot go the way of Uncharted. We need both series to be very separate, and in a way I'm glad Uncharted 4 is even crazier because hopefully that means they're saving the grounded stuff for TLOU. But we'll see.

I'd like to see the zombies involved, whether that is in coop or as a special PVP mode involving 2 teams and ai zombies. However, this hasn't been done very well so they'd need to put some work into it.

also:

xRaizen

No DLC weapons and perks (and certainly not the way U4 is doing it either!) and customizable characters. Real customization, not just hats and masks.

Oh and no DLC weapons and perks.

Lupo

Neo Member
I'd love for it to continue. It's strange looking back, that my two favorite multiplayer experiences of the last generation was TLOU and Mass Effect 3--considering that a lot of people thought it would just be a tacked on afterthought in both cases.

Pretty much agree with all of your points.

The mp is seriously one of the most underrated things from the past gen. Way too many overlooked it.

ChanMan

More of the same would be fine but no DLC weapons like others have mentioned. I still really enjoy playing the MP to this day and it was one of the first MP games since Unreal Tournament I got really really hooked into.

One thing I would like to see is more modes (maybe a limited ammo mode or melee weapons only), would love to see a mode that incorporated the infected and included larger teams with huge maps. Also would like to see more melee weapons and maybe team executions if possible haha.

No DLC weapons and perks (and certainly not the way U4 is doing it either!) and customizable characters. Real customization, not just hats and masks.

Oh and no DLC weapons and perks.

Yes. Please, don't change anything major. Just get rid of PAY TO WIN items. The multiplayer is the best part of the game and the reason why I double dipped on the remaster.

Pretty much agree with all of your points.

The mp is seriously one of the most underrated things from the past gen. Way too many overlooked it.

And this. Best multiplayer game on PS3 since Warhawk.

KillGore

No pay to win. Also, I want a horde mode. Or at least some gametypes where there are infected running around the map, that way you need to deal with the opposing team while not getting killed by infected. Have it optional of course.

Bottles & Bricks. Just a few, not many so you can spam them. But they can be used like smoke bombs, but less stagger time so you really have to shiv them instantly (or teamwork?) or shoot them quickly after.

No,definitely no,this could break completely the combat,no matter if shiv time is shorter.
I can see this becoming a problem. But you can change stagger mode to basically shiving someone only if they're 5-6 feet away from you, making it practically impossible. This would best be used in 2v1 where you stagger someone as another makes a run and shivs them. These could be used also in a mode where infected run amock as you fight the other team, to direct clickers towards them. Quantity of bottles/bricks would be limited, possibly 5-6 in the entire map for lack of spamming.
Make it barebones, no perks, no purchasables only crafting.
I mean this can be its own separate mode, like the No Listen mode I wrote above. No reason to remove everything in other modes. I'm down for this as its own mode though. Similar to that U4 no mystical mode like U2 that.. oh wait ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Find it hilarious that 80% of the posts is to not charge for perks, maps & weapons though. I'm with you famos.
giphy.gif

Dynasty

Ive said this multiple time but I will say it again.
No payed weapon/perk DLC but honestly after Uncharted4 MP I fully expect them to carry this trend on. :(
-Keep it simple, dont be adding side kicks or infected into the competitive MP, would mind a horde mode or something though.
-Remove listen mode, it limited my ability to customize my class as I always would put on Covert Training II.
-More game modes. Intergation needs some work put into it, as OP stated 3v3v3 would be a fun idea.
-Dedicated Servers, practically all MS 1st party game have dedicated servers Sony should follow suit, with the amount of money this game will make the have no excuse other than greed. Unfortunately I dont think this will happen.
-Improved Matchmaking, matchmaking in the TLOU took too long.
-keep the no party playlist, have a bad feeling that they might remove this.

Drop the perk system from the start. GET RID OF IT.

Would be interesting to have a faction vs faction vs infected game type.

Coop mode where a team has to collect resources and defend against infected.

-No paywall weapons and Perks.
-Keep it 4v4 with small maps
-All maps must be free.
-introduce more character customization other than hats and armor
-more customization of emblem

They've GOT to get the infected in there alongside humans. I suspect this was a ram limitation on PS3, but you almost never fought Infected simultaneously with humans.

It seems so obvious that you could use the Infected as traps for some cool emergent gameplay. Even more so in the multiplayer.

Yea the only thing they need to remove is the paywall gear, everything else was perfect about the first MP imo.

Let a buddy 'borrow' it so he could finish the campaign and never had it returned so I didn't get to spend as much time as I would have liked on it.

KodaRuss

I probably stopped playing the MP too soon but I had a great time. I did not play when they had DLC for loadouts and weapons. Please do not add those.

Give us tons of unlocks, banners, emblems, patches and whatever else they want.

Loved everything OP. Some of them I even thought up myself.

One idea I had for the MP was bear traps. Set them down like bombs that can trap players in place and mark them on the map. To make it so it's not overpowered players can remove the trap from fellow players that get caught.

RytGear

+ Customisable characters.

- Dumb metagame that was anti-fun.

I really enjoyed the building up a community aspect of it. You didn't have to actually pay any real attention to it if you didn't want to but it certainly added an extra layer of depth to the mp and encouraged you to do better for your clan. The clan members being from your facebook friends with pictures was hilarious. I seriously hope this returns.

Business

Having spent a ton of hours on the original MP, improve the matchmaking and add as many maps as possible, that's all I can think of.

edit: Talking about maps, what about having different setups of toolbox locations for every map? Some maps got areas that barely got any use because of the lack of toolboxes in certain areas, I'm thinking Lakeside or Bill's Town. Different toolbox locations would really change the flow of any given map.

Professor Oak

Neo Member
-The Biggest thing this type of game NEEDS is a competent ranked mode!!!!!
I was just playing the first game last weekend with some friends and the games were either our team dominating 20/19-0 or the other team dominating us (level 700-999 people). There is no way new players can have fun with this game currently.

-If someone is shiving your teammate, you should be able to shoot and down him before the animation finishes. It sucks when one guy smokes you in front of your whole team then runs in only to get one kill and die.

-Also not a big fan of getting food/supplies for your people in all games. It makes all of the games where you are just playing poorly too frustrating. Doing poor in a match is already not fun, I don't want to also always be worrying about losing my people. I recommend food/supplies only be a thing for ranked games.

-Also I personally very much dislike getting downed and being executed in one shot from the Burst Rifle. I'm not saying these people aren't getting good shots to do this but none of the other standard weapons can down and execute people.
In other words, some guns could use a little bit of balancing.

-And of course paid dlc weapons and perks are dumb.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Combat rolls, shoot while in motion or backtracking, blind firing. Those are my suggestions for improvement.

Memento

Dont change anything, it is perfect.

Just add a Horde Mode as COOP besides Factions. I bet it would be very fun.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
If this isn't a joke, you should try Uncharted 4's multiplayer.

It's not a joke and nah, I don't care for Uncharted's combat. There's nothing wrong with adding an ability to evade enemy fire. The characters react far too slowly in tlou in my opinion and if I'm being shot at, I would dive or roll if it increased my likelihood of living.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Personally, I wouldn't mind armor just going away. Pain in the butt that overrules skill in most gun-fights. It was the reason I stopped playing, anyway.

Top Bottom