• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To Persona or not to Persona

Should OP buy Persona?

• Total voters
And, pray tell, how do you know which characters are new in the re-release if you didn't play the original?

Also, I made it a priority to max my affinity with Yoshizawa. Didn't get anything solid out of it because, I suspect, the best bits with her are locked in the extra content that you can only access by maxing your affinity with a total wimp of a character that's never interesting and you can realistically have no idea he is so important until it's too late (unless you really like him, for reasons the baka gaijin that is me can't fathom).

You can't seriously defend this shit. Announcing some hefty new content and then gatekeeping it like this is possibly worse than locking stuff behind MTX. I can't be expected to replay a 80+ hour game because of this. Several other JRPGs with multiple, secret endings at least have the grace of having a relatively short playthrough time that encourages replaying them. Persona 5 is a monster of a game for several wrong reasons, and no self-respecting human should defend this.

While I agree its stupid and lazy how they chose to add the new stuff in the game but if you consider it a true ending then its not rly that bad. Theres a lot of games where you have to do a lot of extra stuff to see their true ending and P5R is similar in that way but in a more extreme way. Too bad Atlus are a bunch of shits when it comes to patching and stuff, they could've easily added a separate before no point of return save in the game and a better warning that you may miss the opportunity for something something but then again they did charge 60 euros for the game AGAIN so yeah.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I've been on the fence about playing Persona 5 for many, many years.

- SNIP -

Your biggest issue with P5 isn't going to be the "time management." You can only fail that if you are TRYING to fail and only ever use a single save. Your biggest issue is going to be the absolute shit localization of the game. If you've never played a PERSONA before, you really should do P4: Golden instead.

. . .P5/R does have great gameplay and an absolutely fantastic OST though, so there is that.

I would recommend. Played it like 2 years ago (regular, not royal) without ever really playing JRPGs and I had a blast.

I think I played on regular difficulty, and the game wasn't all that difficult at all. I think the only time I had trouble in an area was the very last part. But even then it wasn't crazy hard.

As others have mentioned it is crazy long though. Took me about 110 hours and again this isn't even the royal version with more content. Outside of maybe the last 5 hours I was never bored or wanted the game to end. Loved the characters and the music. Oh man the music is. So. Damn. Good.

Your biggest issue with P5 isn't going to be the "time management." You can only fail that if you are TRYING to fail and only ever use a single save. Your biggest issue is going to be the absolute shit localization of the game. If you've never played a PERSONA before, you really should do P4: Golden instead.

. . .P5/R does have great gameplay and an absolutely fantastic OST though, so there is that.
I still cannot get over new chie's va in P4:golden, ugh ;( maybe i'll play it one day with japanese dub though

The biggest issue I usually have is I always end up stuck at some late-game boss fight and never finish the darn thing even though everyone online insists it's quite easy.
I got very far into the game, was nearly at the end, and things got too difficult for me. Thankfully, I was able to just lower the difficulty and finish the game, so it's pretty friendly like that. You can also have a fair amount of save games, so it's easy to just make a new save after you finish a major section of the game.

Nico_D

Quick hijack: P3 (edit: not FES) Portable or P4 Gold? Which to play first?

And to the OP: If you really want to experience the Persona universe and the mechanics instead of being able to say "I played P5", play SMT Nocturne or SMT V instead. I liked both a lot more than P5 SMT V is easier than Nocturne.

Edit: Or Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Pretty much the same mechanics, superior game..

Last edited:

Skifi28

Ok, this thread inspired me (yeah, my own thread, I know) and today I went back and finished FFX after months of being stuck at the final boss!

Y3NyLUQ.gif

I finished it just yesterday and I read that to unlock the much-touted extra semester added in Royal you need to max your affinity with a NPC you'd never suspect the importance of. In a game that requires 80+ hours as it is to see the "old" ending, I think this is borderline criminal and one of those instances where the line "this game does not respect my time" is justified. You definitely need a walkthrough to unlock things that other RPGs would just give you by simply going through the story and leveling up.

Persona is a game for hikikomori with no life beyond games. The thought of playing this more than once without using a guide is simply outlandish for anyone with a job and a life. Pity, because it's stylish as hell and it has a lot of strong points, but the balancing is just non-existing
I played vanilla on release and still haven't got Royal. I did not know about this requirement to actually get to the part that I want to see. It's already really hard for me to get motivated to play through the game again as is, but I do love it and would like to get to try more challenging battles.
Really wish they just could have let me start a new game+ in Royal with the save data from vanilla.

SkylineRKR

I beat Vanilla and platted Royal. P5 is great. Kinda overstays its welcome, I was sort of done after stealing the final heart. But the extra Royal content is solid.

Royal is much easier. You have infinite ammo for example. And more chances to raise confidants. I think Baton pass is unlocked by default here too. Grappling hook improves the dungeons.

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
I've been on the fence about playing Persona 5 for many, many years. Finally got it with the PS Plus collection, but by that time Royal was already out so I didn't want to commit so many hours to the "outdated" version. I played the opening/tutorial just to confirm I like what I see and then kept waiting for a Royal discount. Then the new 60fps upgrade was announced so I switched to waiting for that and now it's finally on sale! I thought the time has finally come, but having said that, I'm still conflicted on whether it really is for me. Let me explain:

I'm generally not the biggest JRPG fan, but it's not like I don't enjoy them. The biggest issue I usually have is I always end up stuck at some late-game boss fight and never finish the darn thing even though everyone online insists it's quite easy. I guess I don't grind enough or min-max my characters correctly. Having read up on Persona 5 and watched many videos, I'm really scared about the time management aspect and how I will surely succeed in screwing over myself to the point I can't finish the game once again. It's almost like the game was designed for me to fail at it. There seem to be so many sub-systems and stats relating to both regular rpg stuff plus the social aspect that my head hurts just thinking that I'm gonna have to keep track of everything and make choices that I will regret later.

My question for those that played it is basically, how bad is it in that sense? Did you get stuck at some point because of your decisions? Did you have to grind for countless hours in order to manage and proceed and complete it? Could one possibly enjoy the story and combat without going deep enough to write a thesis on it? Any other JRPG amateurs that played and enjoyed it with no issues?
Boss fights are easy. If you want to romance everyone and complete every lil shit thing, then it will take a fuckton of hours. Most of that will be quite repetitive gameplay/mechanics wise, but enjoyable enough. Good game but I would trim down the playtime to 30 hrs max.

Graciaus

Quick hijack: P3 (edit: not FES) Portable or P4 Gold? Which to play first?
Should play 3 then 4. 4 improves the formula and imo is the best in the series. There is an extremely minor cameo you'd miss out on playing in the reverse order. I would play modded FES over portable but that is just me.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
finished FFX after months of being stuck at the final boss!

Sorry but that was the easiest and lamest boss of the entire franchise
AND YOU GOT STUCK FOR MONTHS?

Happy Excuse Me GIF

Regarding Persona:
Persona 5 starts out ok, but it's definitely the most boring of the modern ones. They clearly run out of ideas/motivation and added a ton of filler and boring conversations in order to prolong the game so that it lasts 80+ hours. If the characters were well written and fun it wouldn't be that much of a problem, but most of them are written like annoying brats with special powers. They barely have character development.

The ONLY character that I cared about in the entire game was this one. It was the only one that felt more grounded.
And that is a secondary character. You can beat the game without ever interacting with him. Hope that gives you an idea of how annoying the main cast is.
jw4o9c1dbki71.png

Some people say the dungeons were improved in P5. I heavily disagree.
Dungeons in Persona 5 now have a fixed layout. Is that a problem? Not really.
The real problem is that now EVERY dungeon has a gimmick that usually requires you to interrupt your exploration to go back to the real world so that you can watch a boring segment that lasts at least a couple of hours, so that only then you can go back to the dungeon and progress again. Why? Because developers needed to prolong the game somehow, that's why.
Not to mention some dungeons have some annoying forced puzzles now.

Persona 4 is a much more polished game in contrast.
The dungeons are randomly generated and straight to the point. There are barely a few annoyances here or there.
Characters are the highlight of this game. MUCH better than Persona 5's characters. Their development is really good, especially since that is one of the main themes of the game.
It never feels like the game is taking more of your time than it should, unlike Persona 5.
If you want to start somewhere, start with Persona 4.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Happy Excuse Me GIF
Ok, perhaps we're talking about something different. Not the final fight which I wouldn't even consider a boss since you get auto-revived and it's more of a cinematic ending. The actual final boss before that.

Jecht, final something it was called

I hope that's not considered easy, because then I don't know what to say.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Happy Excuse Me GIF

Regarding Persona:
Persona 5 starts out ok, but it's definitely the most boring of the modern ones. They clearly run out of ideas/motivation and added a ton of filler and boring conversations in order to prolong the game so that it lasts 80+ hours. If the characters were well written and fun it wouldn't be that much of a problem, but most of them are written like annoying brats with special powers. They barely have character development.

The ONLY character that I cared about in the entire game was this one. It was the only one that felt more grounded.
And that is a secondary character. You can beat the game without ever interacting with him. Hope that gives you an idea of how annoying the main cast is.
jw4o9c1dbki71.png

Based "No-good Tora". May he lead Japan to a brighter future....

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Wait, what? is that true? you can miss the new content entirely? that sounds completely insane.
Yes, it’s true. I had read they added a new girl in Royal, so this being my first Persona, I tried to befriend her at every given chance. Turns out the character that gatekeeps the beefiest part of the extra content is another.

In a nutshell:

First 20 hours: interesting story, good combat balance, fantastic.
20 to 60 hours: interesting story, combat gets easy as you learn the ins and outs and get good equipment, but still fantastic.
Last 30 hours: story slows down, combat is just a routine at this point, dungeons get thrown at you again and again and it sucks the life out of the game.

But Persona 5 has a fantastic cast, great music, and great art, charming and memorable. I had big issues with the grind fest at the end, but I love the game and you absolutely should give it a chance.
In my experience, the first 3-5 hours are the worst part of the game. Everyone talks so much, stuff gets repeated over and over and over, there’s a good dozen characters introduced before you even really get control of things, and you make more train rides than battles. The anime/manga storytelling tropes are just fiercely strong in P5. Every single character has to have at least a line in every single conversation, there’s a dialogue and a scene for the most inane stuff imaginable. There’s literally hours of narrative content that could be cut without affecting the overall narration too much. My first impact with the game was just terrible, but it does pick up after you get a full 4-people party.

Sure, the whole thing slows down towards the end, but it’s mostly the gameplay that suffers. I don’t think the gameplay in P5 is that deep or interesting, it’s all about finding and exploiting weaknesses. I always heard about the importance of buffs and debuffs in Megaten games, but I didn’t really see this in P5 except against some red Shadows in some dungeons. Battles against monsters that have no elemental weaknesses are just a chore - you try every element and find no weakness, then you try every status ailment and in more than a few cases you end up just exhausting the enemy’s HP through regular attacks before you’ve found an exploitable weak point. Dungeon exploration is as by-the-numbers as it gets, and in the later dungeons the devs thought it’d be a good idea to make thing even more redundant with braindead puzzles that probably intended to spice things up, but only manage to make everything even more of a chore.

My main beef with P5 is that it’s kinda two games merged into one, and it makes a pretty poor job of getting the life-sim part at the service of the dungeon crawling. The life sim gives you too much freedom, putting you at serious risk of not getting the optimal requirements for the dungeon exploration and combat.

The game is engaging enough, sure. The story is a bit predictable but good. I like the characters. The artstyle is fantastic, as is the OST. If you’re even the slightest bit into Japan and anime, I can see how this can be a dream game. But it’s too long no matter how you slice it, and the combat never gets as deep or as satisfying as it should.

It's true, you habe to max out a social link im order to view the new content. That said, the game also tells you time after time to go talk to that character, and also tells you when you won't be able to, so it's not really that bad unless you aren't paying attention.

And if you manage to miss it you can just stroll through the whole game on NG+ with your OP demons and skipping every cutscene, which takes around 15-20 hours.
The problem is that the key character is completely unappealing, which made me give up on him to prioritize other social links. While the game hints that he’ll become unavailable at a certain point, nothing makes you think that his social link is the key to a whole new school semester. And when the game did reveal the time limit for the character, it was already too late for me to max his link out anyway. Not going back to a 20-hour old save just for that when I’m so close to the end.

WitchHunter

Banned
I've been on the fence about playing Persona 5 for many, many years. Finally got it with the PS Plus collection, but by that time Royal was already out so I didn't want to commit so many hours to the "outdated" version. I played the opening/tutorial just to confirm I like what I see and then kept waiting for a Royal discount. Then the new 60fps upgrade was announced so I switched to waiting for that and now it's finally on sale! I thought the time has finally come, but having said that, I'm still conflicted on whether it really is for me. Let me explain:

I'm generally not the biggest JRPG fan, but it's not like I don't enjoy them. The biggest issue I usually have is I always end up stuck at some late-game boss fight and never finish the darn thing even though everyone online insists it's quite easy. I guess I don't grind enough or min-max my characters correctly. Having read up on Persona 5 and watched many videos, I'm really scared about the time management aspect and how I will surely succeed in screwing over myself to the point I can't finish the game once again. It's almost like the game was designed for me to fail at it. There seem to be so many sub-systems and stats relating to both regular rpg stuff plus the social aspect that my head hurts just thinking that I'm gonna have to keep track of everything and make choices that I will regret later.

My question for those that played it is basically, how bad is it in that sense? Did you get stuck at some point because of your decisions? Did you have to grind for countless hours in order to manage and proceed and complete it? Could one possibly enjoy the story and combat without going deep enough to write a thesis on it? Any other JRPG amateurs that played and enjoyed it with no issues?
The real question is: do you know what groups of people the game glorifies? What it is really about, hm? Maybe you should skip the game altogether...

Hydroxy

I'm playing for first time, 70 hours in I think, and its a bit underwhelming. Sure the gameplay is fun but the story is really dragging. It doesn't have the urgency of P3 or excitement of P4.

Be a cool kid and get mainline Shin Megami Tensei.
i've only played V (and my avatar is from it) and it was only because i had played Persona. i wasn't sure if i'd like SMTV but bought it anyway. there was some difficult fights but overall i really enjoyed it. i didn't finish it because the game has a huge difficulty spike near the end. i was getting totally wrecked. i can finish From Software games but SMTV broke me.

both games share some similarities like the demons and turn based combat but they are almost like two totally different games. SMTV is more about collecting/merging demons to build a strong party so you can run through the open world getting into fights. there is some story but it's not even close to Persona. it also doesn't have any social stuff like confidants/stats/activities.

smtv feels like a mix of pokemon, dark souls, nier automata, and breath of the wild.

persona is a visual novel/social sim half of the game with some world exploration/mini games and the other half is running through dungeons and fighting shadows (demons).

Last edited:

Vyse

Gold Member
It was my most played Xbox game last year. It was a big time investment for me, but we’ll worth it.

I would suggest playing Persona 4, or just the vanilla version of P5 since you already have it anyway. These games are so big and feel complete already without the additional content, which usually just outstays its welcome. That stuff is really just for the hardcore fans IMO. Don't spend extra money on it if you're not sure.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I would suggest playing Persona 4, or just the vanilla version of P5 since you already have it anyway. These games are so big and feel complete already without the additional content, which usually just outstays its welcome. That stuff is really just for the hardcore fans IMO. Don't spend extra money on it if you're not sure.
But the extra content in P5 Royal might be the best section of the game. I loved that whole section, felt very SMT with all it's morally-grey shit, and the villain was cool too.

acm2000

i dont like JRPGS either but i both love and hate Persona 5 Royal on game pass currently on the final palace 95 hours in.

on one hand the combat is fun and well thought out and the story premise is really cool, on the other hand the game is FULL of archaic nonsense that japanese developers just cant get over (perfect example being cutscene/text wall/regain control and move about 5 steps forward/cutscene going up some stairs/regain control for a few more steps/cutscene), game is FULL of old broken stuff like this and you can often get stuck not being able to save for ages as you are in the middle of stupidly long conversations and text walls etc

Last edited:
But the extra content in P5 Royal might be the best section of the game. I loved that whole section, felt very SMT with all it's morally-grey shit, and the villain was cool too.
I haven't played Royal yet, but most of the extra content in P4 Golden was unnecessary in my view. I expected P5R to be mostly the same, but perhaps I'm wrong about that.

For a complete beginner I personally wouldn't suggest going for the even longer version of a game that was already really long.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Persona 5 Royal was my first ever Persona game now I think it's one of the best games ever made. Just take the plunge.

Top Bottom