• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Today in Trump: You want me to debate? Gimme $5 million dollars "for charity"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

Fox News and Trump have engaged in a war of words during the past few days over Trump’s demand that Fox News anchor Megyn Kelly be removed as a debate moderator. With the Iowa Caucus approaching on Monday, Trump earlier in this week declared that he would not appear in the debate if Kelly was one of the moderators. Trump instead organized a competing rally tonight that was billed as a fundraiser for veterans issues.

“(Fox News chairman) Roger Ailes had three brief conversations with Donald Trump today about possibly appearing at the debate – there were not multiple calls placed by Ailes to Trump,” Fox News said in a statement.

“In the course of those conversations, we acknowledged his concerns about a satirical observation we made in order to quell the attacks on Megyn Kelly, and prevent her from being smeared any further. Furthermore, Trump offered to appear at the debate upon the condition that Fox News contribute $5 million to his charities. We explained that was not possible and we could not engage in a quid pro quo, nor could any money change hands for any reason,” Fox News said. “In the last 48 hours, we’ve kept two issues at the forefront — we would never compromise our journalistic standards and we would always stand by our journalist, Megyn Kelly. We have accomplished those two goals and we are pleased with the outcome. We’re very proud to have her on stage as a debate moderator alongside Bret Baier and Chris Wallace.”

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/donald-trump-fox-news-megyn-kelly-debate-fight-1201691553/

I dunno what's weirder: Fox News using "journalistic integrity" without irony, or the fact that they were legitimately showing it.

And lest we forget, the money donated for the veterans went to the Donald J. Trump fund and the debate got more viewers than Trump.

And to be clear, "for charity" is scare quotes and does not indicate that that is what Trump said verbatim.

“(Fox News chairman) Roger Ailes had three brief conversations with Donald Trump today about possibly appearing at the debate – there were not multiple calls placed by Ailes to Trump,” Fox News said in a statement.

Three =/= multiple??

Maybe it was one long phone call broken up by hours of protracted silence.

If that's the case then I'll give it to them. But we really need to get to the bottom of this. Something doesn't add up.

Also, regarding that "debate had more viewers" thing. It's worth noting that one of the channels showing the Trump thing was C-SPAN, which isn't included in viewer ratings. It would also probably the best place to watch the Trump thing since it has no ads and, unlike CNN, wouldn't keep cutting back to the studio for commentary.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Yea fox news, take that stand and don't compromise your journalistic standards...

riotous

Banned
Three =/= multiple??

The statement seems to be reiterating it wasn't Ailes caling Trump multiple times.

They had 3 conversations, but Ailes wasn't the one to call each time.

I'm sure he wanted that thrown in there to try to combat the Trump camp's claims that Ailes was desperately calling them over and over. Trump is a giant manbaby with swagger and he makes everyone feel insecure lol.

Arkeband

Banned
We all know that Fox News has zero journalistic integrity, BUT...

Last night's debate, they basically Daily Show'd the candidates by showing them making completely opposite, contradictory statements years or even months apart. Every one of them failed to properly explain themselves, with Rubio's face going so red you could see it from underneath the makeup.

It's funny that they framed the segment as "something you've never seen before", because it's true, they've never really actually held anyone's feet to the fire like that before, at least not without some O'Reilly figure to start shouting and derail the entire thing before it gets anywhere meaningful.

Their statement on journalistic integrity is at least backed up by how their moderators acted during the debate, if it's not supported by the entirety of their network's existence up until that point.

PBY

Banned
We all know that Fox News has zero journalistic integrity, BUT...

Last night's debate, they basically Daily Show'd the candidates by showing them making completely opposite, contradictory statements years or even months apart. Every one of them failed to properly explain themselves, with Rubio's face going so red you could see it from underneath the makeup.

It's funny that they framed the segment as "something you've never seen before", because it's true, they've never really actually held anyone's feet to the fire like that before, at least not without some O'Reilly figure to start shouting and derail the entire thing before it gets anywhere meaningful.

Their statement on journalistic integrity is at least backed up by how their moderators acted during the debate, if it's not supported by the entirety of their network's existence up until that point.

Yup. My main "issue" with debates is that they aren't really debates - they're stump speeches framed with "tough" questions that are easily ducked, and people go back and forth, but not that much.

Last night was 2.5 straight hours of body bags. Trump won by just not playing. They straight up lined these dudes up, and ethered them in public.

If that's the case then I'll give it to them. But we really need to get to the bottom of this. Something doesn't add up.

Also, regarding that "debate had more viewers" thing. It's worth noting that one of the channels showing the Trump thing was C-SPAN, which isn't included in viewer ratings. It would also probably the best place to watch the Trump thing since it has no ads and, unlike CNN, wouldn't keep cutting back to the studio for commentary.

Yes but realistically we know that's not the case, that C-SPAN had many viewers compared to CNN.

Syrus

Banned
Trump won by not being there, they were brutal at the debate. It looked like they threw wveryone under the bus and waiting for 2020

Amir0x

Banned
Trump won by not being there, they were brutal at the debate. It looked like they threw wveryone under the bus and waiting for 2020

Honestly, it seemed to me like that whole set up for that part of the debate was MADE for Trump. Like Trump has contradicted himself infinitely more than any candidate on that podium. You can find three or four positions on each subject if you go back far enough.

I think Fox had that whole segment made up to target Trump and take him down, and then Trump played his strategically smartest move and weaved. Trump is an asshole, and he lost the ratings game, but he won from simply avoiding those shankings on air. That shit would have been brutal, impossible to weasel out of.

I hope to fucking God someone takes Trump out somehow, because he's no longer a funny joke. This man is pretty close to being one stock market crash away from the White House shortly. This is no longer a game that people on forums can be cute about how AWESOME it is to watch zee train wrecks. Just his Supreme Court nominations alone likely would ruin the court for generations and destroy the lives of thousands.

I don't see how you can look at Trumps event from a ratings standpoint. It was being shown on 3 networks and two of them cut out of it about 10 minutes into him talking.

Honestly, it seemed to me like that whole set up for that part of the debate was MADE for Trump. Like Trump has contradicted himself infinitely more than any candidate on that podium. You can find three or four positions on each subject if you go back far enough.

I think Fox had that whole segment made up to target Trump and take him down, and then Trump played his strategically smartest move and weaved. Trump is an asshole, and he lost the ratings game, but he won from simply avoiding those shankings on air. That shit would have been brutal, impossible to weasel out of.

I hope to fucking God someone takes Trump out somehow, because he's no longer a funny joke. This man is pretty close to being one stock market crash away from the White House shortly. This is no longer a game that people on forums can be cute about how AWESOME it is to watch zee train wrecks. Just his Supreme Court nominations alone likely would ruin the court for generations and destroy the lives of thousands.

All of the Republican candidates are horrible though. A Trump nom ensures the democrats win.

Nothing wrong with the charity getting the money first. He said 100% of the money goes to veterans. No way he does anything else. No issue.

Amir0x

Banned
All of the Republican candidates are horrible though. A Trump nom ensures the democrats win.

It most certainly does not, and anyone who has followed American politics for the last twenty years should understand why.

Any Republican, even the most fucked up piece of racist shit on Earth, will automatically net 46% of the vote minimum, and that percentage would mean a mauling at the polls for the Republican candidate. But what that percentage also means is that one single significant crisis - a big terrorist attack, a huge stock market collapse under Obama - and the Democrats would take the blame, easily making up that percentage. That's the razor's edge we are living on in this country. One fucking crisis away from potentially electing a sociopath.

This is not funny anymore, ever. And those who post in threads about how hilarious it is to watch this trainwreck and how they hope Trump is nominated FOR TEH LULZ is perilously childish and disgusting. Not saying it's you at all, but I see it all the time and this whole candidacy of Trump is now becoming a real possibility beyond doubt. That's why I made that comment.

kess

Gore should have walked all over George Bush. In theory, yes... but we all know how that turned out. And he had the benefit of a good economy!

If Trump is willing to engage in an obviously unethical quid pro quo, expect him to engage in a whole lot more of it as the year goes on. We are going to see why reformers should have been focused on unregulated campaign spending instead of financing.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I don't really understand how or why the Republican Party, or any party, allows candidates (at least those polling in non-irrelevant numbers) to skip debates. You want to be nominated under our party? You attend the debates we set up. You want to do whatever you want? You're free to run as an independent.

billeh

Everyone worries about Trump, but I think I'd be more afraid of Cruz making it to the White House. Like the party would be any more than a total disaster without Trump being in the ring.

Hexa

Trump wins. Trump always wins.
Things are going to get super interesting once we hit the general.

Alrus

It most certainly does not, and anyone who has followed American politics for the last twenty years should understand why.

Any Republican, even the most fucked up piece of racist shit on Earth, will automatically net 46% of the vote minimum, and that percentage would mean a mauling at the polls for the Republican candidate. But what that percentage also means is that one single significant crisis - a big terrorist attack, a huge stock market collapse under Obama - and the Democrats would take the blame, easily making up that percentage. That's the razor's edge we are living on in this country. One fucking crisis away from potentially electing a sociopath.

This is not funny anymore, ever. And those who post in threads about how hilarious it is to watch this trainwreck and how they hope Trump is nominated FOR TEH LULZ is perilously childish and disgusting. Not saying it's you at all, but I see it all the time and this whole candidacy of Trump is now becoming a real possibility beyond doubt. That's why I made that comment.

Well taking it that way, america is fucked no matter what republican gets the nom in the even of a crisis. They're all assholes who would nominate extremely conservative justices and wouldn't block the senate/congress from destroying the life of millions.

ghost99

Banned
Well taking it that way, america is fucked no matter what republican gets the nom in the even of a crisis. They're all assholes who would nominate extremely conservative justices and wouldn't block the senate/congress from destroying the life of millions.

same can be said for hillary in reference to her probable SC nominations (obama, lol).

RPGCrazied

He tried this with CNN, but they told him to fuck off, and he still showed up. This has nothing to do with anything other than media attention grabbing.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I think it's probably fair to say that among the viable candidates, Trump and Cruz are an order of magnitude crazier and scarier than the others.

I don't care what the electoral math looks like, either of them being on the ballot is way too fucking close to the presidency for comfort.

Don't exaggerate; his Supreme Court nominations would destroy the lives of millions.

Gore should have walked all over George Bush. In theory, yes... but we all know how that turned out. And he had the benefit of a good economy!

If Trump is willing to engage in an obviously unethical quid pro quo, expect him to engage in a whole lot more of it as the year goes on. We are going to see why reformers should have been focused on unregulated campaign spending instead of financing.

Who else would you rather have on the Republican side? They are all bat shit insane.

You look at it by seeing how much the rating dropped for the debate versus the others...

http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/29/media/republican-debate-ratings-donald-trump/index.html

Guess a couple of million dropped off without the Trump. Guess time will tell if it was a smart move. Other candidates got more face time to push their agendas, but got roasted.

I think it's probably fair to say that among the viable candidates, Trump and Cruz are an order of magnitude crazier and scarier than the others.

I don't care what the electoral math looks like, either of them being on the ballot is way too fucking close to the presidency for comfort.

Trump doesn't really scare me. I mean sure he would nominate conservative judges but other than that I think on many issues he would return to the more palatable positions he held before his presidential bid. He is just doing what will allow him to win. Cruz and Rubio on the other hand would really do some foul things.

Malyse

Trump doesn't really scare me. I mean sure he would nominate conservative judges but other than that I think on many issues he would return to the more palatable positions he held before his presidential bid. He is just doing what will allow him to win. Cruz and Rubio on the other hand would really do some foul things.

Let's pretend that all the stuff he did when he wasn't running for president never happened.

Malyse

Doesn't change the fact that he was more liberal than Hillary before he decided to run this time.

Racist and democrat aren't mutually exclusive.
anigif_enhanced-buzz-10794-1404184399-16.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom