• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Today January 31st 2019 is Jackie Robinson's 100th Birthday!

Jackie Robinson was born 100 years ago today. January 31st 1919. While it may not be January 31st for some of you yet, it is already for others. GAF, let's talk about Jackie Robinson!
images

Jackie Robinson was a special man. He is in the Baseball Hall Of Fame. He is there because...

He had a lifetime batting average of .311
Rookie of the Year
(1947)
World Series Champion (1955)
All Star 6 times
National League Batting Champion
(1947)
National League Stolen Base Leader (1947, 1949)
MLB All Century Team

But the reason you know of him isn't because of his Baseball Statistics. While all other Hall Of Famers are known for playing baseball, Jackie Robinson is known for that and more. While some people are famous because of what they say, Jackie Robinson is famous because he didn't say anything.

He was a man who overcame a lot of adversity. His father left his family when Jackie was 2. Jackie was born in Georgia but moved to California after his father left. He grew up in poverty.

He excelled in multiple sports. Baseball, Basketball, Football, and Track & Field

His brother Matthew won a silver medal in the 1936 summer Olympics finishing behind Jesse Owens in the 200 meter.

Went to UCLA and was the first Athlete to win Varsity Letters in 4 sports. He also met his wife while at UCLA.

He was a member of the US Army. Was charged and later acquitted for an incident for refusing to sit in the back of an Army Bus.

In 1945 he played for the Kansas City Monarchs in the Negro Leagues. He hit .387 with 163 At Bats

Became the first Black Man to play in MLB since Moses Fleetwood Walker (1884)

Played in the Minor League for Montreal in 1946. Hit .349

Won Rookie of the year for the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1947

Retired after the 1956 season and became an Executive for Chock Full o'Nuts (Coffee)

And that barely scratches the surface of who Jackie Robinson is.

NeoGAF, I would love if others post facts about Jackie Robinson and what he has meant to you and the world around you.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Wait, didn't he die?

"I'm not concerned with your liking or disliking me... All I ask is that you respect me as a human being."

Never read a negative thing about him.

Also jackie robinson is the meaning of life?!

Awesome thread and OP, I have the utmost respect for Jackie Robinson and what he accomplished and even overlook that he played for the Dodgers as a Giants fan.

Yeah the 2013 one.
A few things the movie leaves out

1. John Wright was also with Jackie during Spring Training and in the minors. A Pitcher. He wasn't successful and went back to the Negro Leagues in 1947.

2. While Jackie made his debut on April 15th 1947, Larry Doby made his debut for the Cleveland Indians on July 5th 1947. Jackie and Larry spoke to each other through the year via Telephone.

Larry Doby played in the Majors from 1947 to 1959
World Series Champion (1948)
Lifetime batting average .283
7 time All-Star
Baseball Hall Of Fame
(Ted Williams called him to let him know :messenger_grinning:)

*BONUS* Here is the box score for the Phillies Dodgers game https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BRO/BRO194704220.shtml

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
A few things the movie leaves out

1. John Wright was also with Jackie during Spring Training and in the minors. A Pitcher. He wasn't successful and went back to the Negro Leagues in 1947.

2. While Jackie made his debut on April 15th 1947, Larry Doby made his debut for the Cleveland Indians on July 5th 1947. Jackie and Larry spoke to each other through the year via Telephone.

Larry Doby played in the Majors from 1947 to 1959
World Series Champion (1948)
Lifetime batting average .283
7 time All-Star
Baseball Hall Of Fame
(Ted Williams called him to let him know :messenger_grinning:)

*BONUS* Here is the box score for the Phillies Dodgers game https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BRO/BRO194704220.shtml

Jackie's OPS was crazy good!

Yogi was cheesed. I don't think anyone ever stole home in a WS game before or since, but I could easily be wrong.

Baseball-reference is such a great site too, I browse it like Wikipedia sometimes. Just get lost down a rabbit hole by clicking on random players

Yogi was cheesed. I don't think anyone ever stole home in a WS game before or since, but I could easily be wrong.

Baseball-reference is such a great site too, I browse it like Wikipedia sometimes. Just get lost down a rabbit hole by clicking on random players
Lol I do the same.

And MLB Trade Rumors is nice enough to always link them when talking about a player.

Top Bottom