• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toejam and Earl: Back in the Groove (PC) Kickstarter - $400k goal (Up: Funded)

$500k is actually a pretty good finish for a project like this.Seriously, I was really skeptical about the original $400k goal when this Kickstarter started and even more skeptical about the added stretch goals.

I do feel like the stretch goals were pressured on by backers... in original interviews with Greg he made it pretty clear that he wasn't going to include any stretch goals out of fear that they might not be able to deliver them all during development, and he was just asking for the appropriate funding up front for what they needed. asking for $800k when the project was at 3/4th funding was a bit insane. But they did clear some of the ones that fans really wanted at least.

Nice to see that they stuck with this to the end though, and it managed to pull through for them. Half a million is nothing to sneeze at.

Sciz

Update #41:
We have now collected just under $42k from sales of add-on merchandise on Backer Kit. Some people have been bumping their pledges up as well. (thank you!) This means that with the $508 (and change) from Kick Starter we JUST passed our $550 stretch goal so we will be able to afford to get some guest composers for the TJ & E music, people like John Baker and Kawehi, and TonezP, and maybe some others (some of you commented that you really liked the funky bass lines that we posted on the page by a fellow named Cody).

We will be closing the backer kit store at some point very soon, as we need to know exactly how many orders we have and get everything moving through manufacture and the fulfillment centers. If you want any more items be sure to get them soon.

We apologize for not doing updates as often as we were. We are super ultra busy trying to get this project into full swing and that's taking up all of our attention. Thanks again for all of the wonderful Earthling ideas - many of those are now sitting in our design doc.

We should have more news for you soon! Some exciting stuff!

That's it for now!

Camjo-Z

It's especially great because that's the last stretch goal they had that wasn't related to consoles, and since they're working on making those happen regardless we basically get everything from the KS!

Zubz

Banned
It's especially great because that's the last stretch goal they had that wasn't related to consoles, and since they're working on making those happen regardless we basically get everything from the KS!

... Huh. I guess you're right! Man, this game's gonna be good!

Camjo-Z

New update with some cool stuff in it, the most interesting being a look at the classic skins along with Latisha and Lewanda's redesigns.

lii61Yl.jpg

zV7psqI.jpg

RyLBpdS.jpg

2Qg9AIv.jpg

Zubz

Banned
New update with some cool stuff in it, the most interesting being a look at the classic skins along with Latisha and Lewanda's redesigns.

lii61Yl.jpg

zV7psqI.jpg

RyLBpdS.jpg

2Qg9AIv.jpg

Huh. I know I love ToeJam's classic design, but seeing it in this artstyle after seeing him in clothes for so long just seems weird. I love these designs, though!

Camjo-Z

Another new update featuring lots of animations and character designs, plus a few other tidbits:

• Rewards are finally going out, with everything due to be shipped within the next two weeks.

• Apparently there are some "exciting things brewing" regarding platforms beyond PC/Mac/Linux. Nothing to announce yet though.

• Current planned release date for the game is September/October 2016.

Not really a fan of the animation, but the enemies seem decent. Texting Person is a clever idea for a modern TJ&E enemy, although Internet Troll may be a step too far in that direction.

Camjo-Z

Not really a fan of the animation, but the enemies seem decent. Texting Person is a clever idea for a modern TJ&E enemy, although Internet Troll may be a step too far in that direction.

I think the troll was one of the backer-suggested ideas. I'm not sure I like his application in-game very much though, apparently if you do anything to irritate him the game uses your IP to send a SWAT team to your location IRL.

Hubble

I received some items in the mail two weeks ago or so, and while small, I am pleased in how they look, and quicker than I expected.

Received my rewards today! I'm in the UK so any other UK backers that haven't had theirs yet should get them soon.

83BENK0.jpg

Bring on the game!

Saven

Banned
God damn the music shown so far is incredibly funky!

The game looks really nice so far and I can't wait for it to come out. ToeJam and Earl was one of my favorite Sega IPs back in the day.

Camjo-Z

I'm loving these updates for the music more than anything else. Is that a hint of Rocket Rap I detect?

Game is looking great too. Digging the HUD, although I hope it'll be possible to have the map semi-transparent or brought up with a button rather than taking up a chunk of the screen at all times.

mnannola

Wow those screenshots look way better than the initial screenshots (renders?) they had on the kickstarter. Awesome art style that looks fresh while still strongly invoking the old 16-bit style.

They are extremely receptive to fan feedback so I have total faith in the community that's gravitated toward their official forums.

We're gonna get a new TJ&E!!!!!1

Really looks to be shaping up decently, and I wasn't a big fan of the art style at first. Honestly I'm just so pleased with the music samples so far that I don't even care what it looks like ;p

This is looking SO damn good! Genuinely impressed and cannot wait. With some of the original creators on board I have faith the gameplay will be as awesome as the aesthetics <3

megalowho

The new screenshots look great, art style is really coming together and the bass heavy soundtrack is both fresh and classic TJ&E. Very pleased with how this seems to be shaping up.

Enk

makes good threads.
This is looking like everything I've been wanting out of a Toejam & Earl sequel since the first game (which is more of the same but with more)!

mattp

maybe this has been addressed, but do they own the rights to the original music?
i'd love to hear an updated version of the original theme in this new game

Camjo-Z

maybe this has been addressed, but do they own the rights to the original music?
i'd love to hear an updated version of the original theme in this new game

There have already been a few remixes of old songs posted, so it's safe to say they own the rights. It's very likely the original theme will get an updated version as well. As an added bonus, John Baker (who did the original music) is also working on some tunes for the new game!

mattp

is there any kind of slacker backer campaign and way to access the hyperfunk club forums?
i didnt have extra cash to donate during the kickstarter campaign

killroy87

This is actually looking really great. It's ironic how these screens make this game look more at home now (with games like Don't Starve, Crashlands, etc) than it did back then.

Camjo-Z

is there any kind of slacker backer campaign and way to access the hyperfunk club forums?
i didnt have extra cash to donate during the kickstarter campaign

I believe you can use this site to pre-order the game and buy some of the Kickstarter rewards, although forum access was only available during the campaign.

Top Bottom