• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toho/Godzilla is suing Anne Hathaway's kaiju movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akahige

I don't think it's that big of a deal. I mean, the thing's obviously internal concept art, not what the final release poster's gonna be.

It's like pitching Edge of Tomorrow as a cross between Starship Troopers and Groundhog Day. If you were gonna do that, it wouldn't be some awful sin to have some preliminary concept art featuring Starship Troop... well wait, I guess the movie Starship Troopers really didn't have any powered armor, so that's a bad example. Okay, but uh... well, you know what I mean.
I'm sure movies get taglined like that all the time, but they are bringing it to Cannes with a poster to sell the movie with Godzilla clearly visible.

PSqueak

Banned
Ignore Godzilla, my first question was immediatedly "Why is Mazinger Z there?!".

Is Go Nagai also suing?

I want Go Nagai to actually jump into this and help the insanity.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Voltage Pictures even managed to misspell the director's name in that blurb.

Poor Nacho Vigalondo, getting involved with some utter morons it seems.

gdt

This is wierd. Seems like a Bmovie but that poster is just a bunch of photoshops and Hathaway is doing just fine dudes. TDKR didn't hurt her career ffs.

Yeah this is pretty funny

The firm that will soon be sending out letters to some 4,000 Australians for alleged online copyright infringement is itself now being sued for infringing on the copyright of Godzilla in its upcoming film Colossal.

While Voltage Pictures has been strident in its own pursuit to protect its copyright, the company is now facing a lawsuit of its own over alleged infringement on the copyright of the iconic monster film character Godzilla.

Deadline has reported that Voltage Pictures has sent an email in early May to investors for a film called Colossal starring Anne Hathaway as a woman in Tokyo while it is under attack by Godzilla.

According to court documents filed this month in California, the owner of the copyright of Godzilla, Japan-based Toho is alleging that Voltage Pictures is "brazenly producing, advertising, and selling" an unauthorised Godzilla film.

The company slammed Voltage Pictures for its hypocritical approach to copyright law.
"That anyone would engage in such blatant infringement of another's intellectual property is wrong enough," Toho said in court documents.
"That defendants, who are known for zealously protecting their own copyrights, would do so is outrageous in the extreme.

The company stated that Voltage "purports to be a staunch advocate for the protection and enforcement of intellectual property rights" through its own copyright infringement suits for Dallas Buyers Club and The Hurt Locker.
Similar to Voltage's own damages sought, Toho is asking for up to $150,000 in damages for each willful infringement of the Godzilla copyright by Voltage Pictures.

Snaku

Banned
It's Godzilla with the plot of Gamera Guardian of the Universe. I'm ok with this.

Still, probably should have just remade Yonggary again. Nobody would care about ripping it off, not even Korea.

sn00zer

I get the feeling this is a marketing guys fault and not necessarily Nacho's....guy is crazy creative and makes some very fun movies
51h8fXXwMHL.jpg
sq_open_windows_ver4.jpg

And this amazing short film

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
That Mazinger image is actually some CG art some guy made for fun a while ago, I remember seeing it on CGSociety. So they just took some existing images and mashed them into a poster. Weird.

Tansut

On the one hand, I want as many kaiju movies as humanly possible.

On the other hand.... THIS particular one? Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

Fury451

Banned
I was about to be all "Oh come on Toho, you don't own the concept of a giant monster movie."

Then I saw Jet Jaguar and Godzilla on the poster.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I get the feeling this is a marketing guys fault and not necessarily Nacho's....guy is crazy creative and makes some very fun movies
Oh, almost certainly. This is clearly some massively stupid moves by the distribution/sales team. If it weren't for these sales materials and actively using these Godzilla and Mazinger names/images, there'd be no issue. Vigalondo's interview quote is embarrassing and whatnot in concert with that, but really not a problem in and of itself.

wildfire

Banned
I'm still figuring out how Hathaway got onto this project. She either owes someone a really big favor or she's going full Cuba Gooding Jr.

This isn't a hoax?

The company suing are protective of their property and have thrown out lawsuits in the past so this had to be something but if they had any sense they should know this was never going to get past pre-production. I don't see how it could.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I mean, I'd watch that.... but what a bunch of stupid shit to do in that order and that blatantly
KuGsj.gif

Burai

shitonmychest57
Toho suing because only Legendary have the rights to pretend that Godzilla is in a movie.

No-one else is allowed a piece of the kaiju pricktease pie.

riotous

Banned
Unlike everyone else here the only thing that made sense to me is Anne Hathaway being in a low budget B movie; she's terrible.

Laputa_94

My mind is still trying to process how this is even a thing. I would totally watch this movie if ever done by Toho though. Atomic Breath vs. Breast Fire I can dig it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom