• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo tops Michelin Guide for most 3 star restaurants yet again

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
http://www.timeout.com/tokyo/blog/michelin-guide-2016-in-3-minutes-120215

The unveiling of the Michelin Guide's Tokyo edition is always a hotly anticipated event in the foodie universe, and with good reason – the Eastern Capital has ranked number one in the world for most three-star restaurants since 2009. We're happy to report that the streak holds: the guide for 2016 was unveiled on December 1, and 13 restaurants were awarded the top rating – four more than the nine found in Paris. Reversing the downward trend of the past two years, Tokyo actually gained a three-star for 2016, opening an even larger gap at the top with Paris holding steady. The 2016 guide also lists 51 two-star joints (down from 53 last year) and 153 one-star places (161 in 2015).

The biggest headlines, meanwhile, were grabbed by the one-starring of Sugamo's Tsuta as the first ramen shop to ever receive a Michelin mark. Included on our list of the best ramen in Tokyo back in 2013, this tiny tanrei champion is as deserving as any to represent Tokyo's noodle joint contingent in the famed gourmet guide. And in more good news for budget diners, the popular Bib Gourmand section has again been significantly expanded, now listing a total of 343 restaurants serving excellent-value grub – from French and Italian to curry and gyoza – for under ¥5,000 per head. Curry entrants include Jinbocho symbol Kyoeido and Ogikubo's homely Tomato, while Michelin-grade dumplings can now be savoured at the likes of Anda Gyoza.

This year's new member of the three-star club is Kagurazaka's Kohaku, run by innovative kaiseki master Koji Koizumi and offering seasonal dinner feasts highlighted by some rather unusual ingredients (softshell turtle, among others). Furthermore, three restaurants were newly promoted to the two-star category: fancy-pants Chinese joint Momo no Ki in Mita, Ginza's re-opened Dominique Bouchet, and Alain Ducasse's Chanel collab Belge. Finally, in addition to the aforementioned Tsuta, 14 new eateries across town can now add a single star to their doors – among these are Sadahisa Yoshizawa's eponymous kappo establishment in Ginza, Tsukishima soba shop Yamori and Kamiyacho's laidback Italian Da Olmo.

Here's the complete list of restaurants that have been awarded three stars in the Michelin Guide Tokyo 2016:

Japanese - Azabu Yukimura
Modern - Japanese Esaki
Japanese - Ishikawa
NEW Japanese - Kohaku
Modern French - Joël Robuchon
Japanese - Kanda
Japanese - Makimura
Modern French - Quintessence
Modern Japanese - Ryugin
Sushi - Sukiyabashi Jiro Honten
Sushi - Sushi Saito
Sushi - Sushi Yoshitake
Fugu - Usukifugu Yamadaya

The guide itself is only in Japanese, but the website isn't:
http://gm.gnavi.co.jp/restaurant/list/tokyo/

Can sort by stars on the right if you're looking for a reservation ~

Maybe boring without photos so if you're bored, Instagram location page for the new 3 star restaurant, 虎白 Kohaku

Dio

Banned
Yeah, I was in Tokyo recently. Ikebukuro is a haven of awesome food places and I spent a lot of time there going to random restaurants. I found this one Chinese noodle place that was so god damned good, too.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
It does not surprise me as Japan has awesome food. But I think expensive restaurants are overrated.

There is a point where the extra money you spend does not equal extra taste.

Tabris

Here was my favourite 2 star Michelin restaurant in Tokyo:

http://gm.gnavi.co.jp/shop/0120163041/

shsMiOJ.jpg

This was my 2nd favourite:

http://gm.gnavi.co.jp/shop/0120162061/

zOp0ftb.jpg

This was my 3rd favourite:

http://gm.gnavi.co.jp/shop/0120163151/

wgWqmAE.jpg

aznpxdd

Ate at Ryugin this past August, pretty damn good, and pretty damn $$$

Here was my favourite 2 star Michelin restaurant in Tokyo:

This was my 2nd favourite:

This was my 3rd favourite:

Have you tried L'effervescence? My favorite Jap/French fusion in Tokyo.

spekkeh

Banned
I lived in Tokyo for some time. This is me right now. Sadly I have a toddler and another baby on the way, so the long plane flights are impossible.

The food there is so good. Though the pictures Tabris posts of the Michelin star restaurants look pretty interchangeable with French haute cuisine. I'd probably just binge myself to death on okonomiyaki and shabu shabu.

Chichikov

Honestly, I think Michelin guide is not that great for Asian cities, I mean, they pick good restaurants and all, but I think they their methodology is much more suitable to European high cuisine than to the food of the region.

Anyway, not really all that surprising, Tokyo is by far the largest city covered by Michelin (and it's a great food city in general).
I'm surprised a ramen shop got a michelin star.
They got a lot of shit for focusing mostly on really expensive restaurants, so in the recent years they've been picking a few token super affordable joints.
Haven't been to that ramen place, but I've been to Tim Ho Wan in Hong Kong, and while it's certainly very good, I think there were like 20 other dim sum places they could've picked just as easily, shit felt a bit arbitrary (and again, I think they're out of their element when reviewing those type of restaurants). And now it's take hours to get food there.
Those pork buns tho...

Tabris

Only two stars each? W..what are you, poor or something...

Eating Lawson for dinner right now (._. )

3 stars generally tend to be around same price. Most of those meals cost between $600 to $1200 for 2 people (which is so expensive but how many times am I going to be in Tokyo). The issue was we planned our Japanese trip in a month so we couldn't get reservations at any of the 3 stars unfortunately.

You know what was also a great meal? The Tonkatsu I had from a convenience store next to our hotel for like $6 bucks lol Going to the michelin star restaurants is about the entire experience, not just the taste. The visuals, the environment, the diversity of taste, etc.

The food there is so good. Though the pictures Tabris posts of the Michelin star restaurants look pretty interchangeable with French haute cuisine. I'd probably just binge myself to death on okonomiyaki and shabu shabu.

2 of them were French restaurants. 1 of them is Spanish. 1 is Kaiseki. Other 2 are just Japanese, not sure how you would describe them. One of them the chef is known for his knife skills. That was the only restaurant I've been to where it was a single chef that just served 6 people for 3-4 hours. That restaurant was called Kikuchi. It was neat seeing just a single chef work his magic.

Lilith

Only two stars each? W..what are you, poor or something...

Eating Lawson for dinner right now (._. )

Hey Lawson is super. I remember the nights in Ōsaka when I got myself some gyōza and beer, had my feast and went after that to the onsen.

linsivvi

Honestly, I think Michelin guide is not that great for Asian cities, I mean, they pick good restaurants and all, but I think they their methodology is much more suitable to European high cuisine than to the food of the region.

Anyway, not really all that surprising, Tokyo is by far the largest city covered by Michelin (and it's a great food city in general).

They got a lot of shit for focusing mostly on really expensive restaurants, so in the recent years they've been picking a few token super affordable joints.
Haven't been to that ramen place, but I've been to Tim Ho Wan in Hong Kong, and while it's certainly very good, I think there were like 20 other dim sum places they could've picked just as easily, shit felt a bit arbitrary (and again, I think they're out of their element when reviewing those type of restaurants). And now it's take hours to get food there.
Those pork buns tho...

Totally agree. This year they went even further and added a street food section, which according to most people who frequent those places, is a joke.

This is cool. Thinking of it, I don't think I've ever eaten Japanese food. As a vegetarian who doesn't eat any meat or fish, would there be a lot of choice for me?

(Please no-one be offended as I am asking a genuine question from a point of total ignorance).

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
This is cool. Thinking of it, I don't think I've ever eaten Japanese food. As a vegetarian who doesn't eat any meat or fish, would there be a lot of choice for me?

(Please no-one be offended as I am asking a genuine question from a point of total ignorance).

If you get to cook Japanese food yourself there are certainly lots of things you can make. Walking around Japan and finding things though is a different story unless you kind of plan it.

I was vegan for years before moving here and stopped for that reason :v

Chichikov

Totally agree. This year they went even further and added a street food section, which according to most people who frequent those places, is a joke.
Oh wow, didn't know that, just looked it up and yeah, absolute joke. Egg waffle cart? I mean it's okay to love egg waffle, but that shit is pretty fucking standard anywhere in China.
Though again, I think the Michelin paradigm doesn't really work for street food.

Tabris

Honestly, to go to a Michelin star restaurant and not have a set menu is such a waste, if the restaurant even offers a non-set menu option (a lot don't).

And you won't find many restaurants that do vegetarian only set menus. You would need to go to a vegetarian only restaurant, and maybe some Indian cuisine restaurants. Not much you'll find in Tokyo though.

Chichikov

Honestly, to go to a Michelin star restaurant and not have a set menu is such a waste, if the restaurant even offers a non-set menu option (a lot don't).

And you won't find many restaurants that do vegetarian only set menus. You would need to go to a vegetarian only restaurant, and maybe some Indian cuisine restaurants. Not much you'll find in Tokyo though.
I don't have stats, but many high end Michelin restaurants offer vegetarian menus these days.
I know that French Laundry, Per Se, Alinea and Noma offer vegetarian menu.
El Bulli used to serve vegetarians too.

As a meat lover I would not opt for that, but by they still provide great food and great dining experience for vegetarians.

Tabris

I don't have stats, but many high end Michelin restaurants offer vegetarian menus these days.
I know that French Laundry, Per Se, Alinea and Noma offer vegetarian menu.
El Bulli used to serve vegetarians too.

Vegetarian options sure. But set menus? Not many, especially in Japan.

Chichikov

Vegetarian options sure. But set menus? Not many, especially in Japan.
Thomas Keller's restaurants offer vegetarian menus for sure, as do Noma.
Not sure about the other ones, but by all account they serve amazing vegetarian food for those who want, so I would not discourage a vegetarian from going to them (or high end restaurants in general).

Not sure about Japan though.

spekkeh

Banned

Unless you eat solely at Buddhist temples, then no, most of east Asia is pretty off limits, depending on how strict of a vegetarian you are.

Qvoth

somewhat related, singapore's getting their michelin guide starting next year, singapore is really close for me so i'm excited about it :>

Tabris

Thomas Keller's restaurants offer vegetarian menus for sure, as do Noma.
Not sure about the other ones, but by all account they serve amazing vegetarian food for those who want, so I would not discourage a vegetarian from going to them (or high end restaurants in general).

Not sure about Japan though.

Yeah, not in any of the restaurants I've been to in Japan. I do think I remember seeing a vegetarian set menu option at The French Laundry in Napa but that's the only one I saw.

Pescatarian is your best bet, as fish product is used in everything over there.

Vegan and Japanese food is just wrong. :p

quin

I tried to go to Tsuta yesterday but the line was way too long. Actually, they stopped letting people queue at around 12:00. They are only open from 11:00 ~ 4:00 as well.

Couple years ago a 3 star michelin japanese chef decided to open a ramen stall in a Sydney CBD food court.

I got to visit last month.

My god, it was the best ramen I've ever had in my LIFE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom