• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo's Unofficial Mario Kart Service Continues To Dress Up Riders After Nintendo Wins Lawsuit

Akuza89

Even the law can't stop Tokyo's Mari Mobility company, formerly known as MariCar. After last month's reports the unlicensed Mario Kart business would be required to pay 10 million yen (roughly $88,000) in damages and immediately stop wearing Mario-themed outfits, it was believed Nintendo had finally got its way.

Now, news has surfaced the ride business that prides itself on being a Mario Kart knock-off is defying court orders. According to Livedoor News via Kotaku, Mari Mobility riders continue to wear Mario-themed outfits as the service appeals the ruling. Here are some tweets revealing the daily operations are back to normal:

As previously explained, Nintendo originally filed the lawsuit in February 2017, with the intention to protect its "valued intellectual property" that it had carefully maintained over the years. At the time, it said it would continue to take necessary measures against infringement of intellectual property. The unofficial Mario Kart ride service has also come under fire in the past for causing havoc on local streets - with tourists even crashing the vehicles.

Source

Absolutely crazy, so even after being sued by Nintendo they're still pressing on!

Nintendo are going to get them again....

Ballsy. Honestly though, I hope they win the appeal. It would be nice if Nintendo would work out a licensing deal to get some of the profit and allow it to continue, but that not very Nintendo.

I'm surprised to hear they dress the riders though. I thought it was just tradition to bring your own costumes.

I drove these carts but in Osaka. Yes you get the full super mario roster costume choice and its an awesome experience. You got 2 pro riders driving ahead and one in the back and you just follow the line they chose for you.

Point is, if anything, this being Japan, this is mega promoting Nintendo. Everyone knows what it is when they see you on the street, people wanna take photos. Im seriously sick n tired of N constantly suing everyone when those people in fact are making them more popular. Seriously, 80% of the people running Nintendo need to die out so that a younger generation that gets it, takes over.

mcz117chief

Saw them three weeks ago all the time riding around Akiba and Tokyo railways station, they definitely are still in business. They attract a lot of attention. I would think that locals would be desensitized to seeing them but they always drew quite a crowd, especially when they stopped at traffic lights.

Point is, if anything, this being Japan, this is mega promoting Nintendo. Everyone knows what it is when they see you on the street, people wanna take photos. Im seriously sick n tired of N constantly suing everyone when those people in fact are making them more popular.
Word!
Seriously, 80% of the people running Nintendo need to die out so that a younger generation that gets it, takes over.
Wow, that got dark quickly.

Last edited:
Seriously, 80% of the people running Nintendo need to die out so that a younger generation that gets it, takes over.

The younger lawyers and businessmen who take the place of the old ones still won’t “get it”. I’m always surprised how many people here don’t seem to understand that a company has to protect their IP and marks or else it sets precedent for them to lose them and they no longer be enforceable.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
My first thought after seeing the pictures was "those things are street legal?"

To be clear, there isn't much traffic in Japan. Streets are generally narrow except for the main thoroughfares. On any given day you can find more bikes on the streets than cars. Bikes in Japan are motorized but still require peddling. The motor just assists the rider. Since these bikes are legal, it's not a stretch to see these go karts as legal.

I wasn't aware this was a business. The couple of times I saw this happening, I just thought they were private citizens goofing around. Lots of people dress up in cosplay on the weekends in Akihabara. So seeing this wasn't too out of the ordinary.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I drove these carts but in Osaka. Yes you get the full super mario roster costume choice and its an awesome experience. You got 2 pro riders driving ahead and one in the back and you just follow the line they chose for you.

Point is, if anything, this being Japan, this is mega promoting Nintendo. Everyone knows what it is when they see you on the street, people wanna take photos. Im seriously sick n tired of N constantly suing everyone when those people in fact are making them more popular. Seriously, 80% of the people running Nintendo need to die out so that a younger generation that gets it, takes over.

Geez, they had this in Osaka too? I was in Tokyo back in April/May and it was the first time I saw it. No clue it was that wide spread.

Kenpachii

Could they just not say something like, they brought the outfits themselves and bought them with the ride just to return them after or some mumbo jumbo to make it legal. I don't think nintendo could do anything about that.

LordPezix

This literally looks like the best thing ever. Nintendo is Japan pride man, let the people rejoice by doing a little good old Mario Kart.

Not everything needs to be about money.

Hmm i dont remember saying I wished death upon someone. I meant the old guard needs to step down so that a more reasonable younger generation that is "in" with the times, takes over.

I too for a second thought I was at resetera when people twist my words and pretend what "dying out" means in company terms. Does the word "phase out, step down, dissapear, be gone" trigger your less?

Grimmrobe

I know someone who used to work there. He sent me pictures, and I always assumed the service was licensed. We are talking 2 years ago, so it's a miracle they've managed to operate in the center of Tokyo for so long.

The first time O saw it was back in 2012 so they have been running this business for a long time. Thats why I dont understand why the lawsuit just now. Its in city center Japan, not like they wouldn't be tipped off back then too.

Same with video game cafes. Have been running almost 10 years and only this year they tried to shut them down.

Hudo

I think copyright and IP laws are not that simple. I bet that Nintendo don't really want to sue but have to if they want to keep the current status of their IP and the respective copyrights. I've talked to a doctoral student of law a couple of weeks back and he explained (I didn't understand most of it, though) that companies have to be very protective in order to keep the IP copyrights. That's also why a lot of companies send a cease & desist to mods/total conversions. It's most likely not because they WANT to sue. They know it's free PR. But rather that the have to.

But maybe I'm wrong, lol. When he was explaining all of this, I was thinking about Grassmann Algebras for a problem I had.

Top Bottom