• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Holland confirmed as Nathan Drake in Uncharted movie

Stuart360

I don’t even like uncharted and I hate this. The Nathan Dillion short was fun a so hell tho.

They fucked it up!

Harrison Ford was in his 40s and raiders is STILL the standard for action movies. Uncharted tried to be raiders, and drake tries to be Indy. So tell me why an older actor couldn’t helm the series, as already proven by the property it blantantly rips off.

Lol
Ford was actually 38 when they filmed Raiders. Your point still stands though, Fillion could of done the film, its not like the film will be big enough to spawn a long series of films (imo).

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Not really invested in Uncharted as a series being PC Master race, but even I can see that this is bonkers casting. on the misguided notion that Holland dude to the Marvel franchise somehow has Box Office draw. Dude has no physical presence at all, they legit need someone akin to either a Tom Hardy or a younger Josh Brolin for the role. There's got to be a tonne of actors out there that could fit those criteria. I expect this film to go down about as well as the Tomb Raider film did.

He is an awful fit. Not only for his looks, height or body frame but the kind of a guy he stands for. Drake is an alpha male with a questionable past, sweetened by the good influence of Elena Fisher. Tom Holland is a textbook Beta male like Finn in Star Wars who is just good for being pushed around by women or whoever else by his side. A decent fit for Peter Parker but a hideous one for Nathan Drake.

But this is SJW in full force all over again, aiming at ridiculing a male lead character for this could only be good as a parody.

In Spain we have the real-life Nathan Drake and even his personality is pretty much like his.

CHnx44JWIAAcaYk.jpg

Stafford

Seriously? The dude looks incredibly young in the Spidey movies so far and he looks way too young to play Nathan, let alone he doesn't look like him at all.

Edit, my bad, young Drake it is, not all that interested though.

Last edited:

BunzLee

It's not that I can't see Holland playing Nathan Drake. It's just that I'm not interested in young Nathan. I need a fully grown Indiana Jones dude in my life, and Holland is not it. Of course having Fillion play the part is a bit of a fantasy, but I'm sure there's enough other actors that could fill the role.

Wasn't Pattinson available? /s

Wink

He's gonna crush it. The quality of the script will be the deciding factor if this movie is gonna be any good though.

VulcanRaven

I haven't played any of the games but he looks too young to play Nathan Drake. I would be interested to see a movie that is like the games because they look fun. The Adventures of young Nathan Drake don't sound very interesting.

Last edited:

harry04

he is just too young for this role, quite agree with you guyz, but what if they take a girl as a main character? :messenger_beaming:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
WHY? Like, I do think Tom Holland is good, but... This would be like casting Donald Glover in Blade. Its just not the right character. Who wants a young Drake movie?!

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Well l thought he was good in Spiderman he will be very good in Uncharted. You want someone young for the inevitable sequels.

Journey

Banned
Sucks.

Nothing against Holland but I don't like this idea of a young Nathan Drake.
The Uncharted franchise in itself doesn't have any amazing stories or concepts (it's just Indiana Jones), so its identity mostly relies on the likeable cast of characters. If we are getting highly altered version of these characters I just don't see the point

And Tom Holland is too young. So it's not like they were unwilling to change the age
Besides if you are going to change the age, IMO the character works better if you make him older instead of younger.

Do we know anything about the plot? What if this goes back to his younger days?

xrnzaaas

Meh, Uncharted movie should be about a mature Drake or even slightly aging Drake like in U4. I still think they should've signed on Nathan Fillion for the movie.

Last edited:

Ellery

I like that guy, but I don't think that this is a good match.
However I will give him the benefit of doubt of course and will watch that movie unless it feels extremely direct-to-dvd 4/10 trashy

somerset

He's a *brit* *actor* (not some yank pretty boy- which is exactly why non-yanks keep getting cast as yank superheroes). The advantage of *actors* is that they can *act*- including playing younger and older. Lighter and more mature.

So the comments here are mostly *dribble* based on how Holland looks as spidey.

The US *star* system and the US love of *models* in media limits the concept of actual real acting by americans in american drama. Yanks want their fellows to either always be the *exact* same person in each movie (the 'star'), or they expect a model with perfect features.

I feel very sorry for any up and coming talented american actor in a system that despises such talents from the natives. And they did their level best to cast a yank as the current Spiderman, yet a brit kid did the iconic character so much better in the auditions. Just think about that fact for a time.

PS as silly as it is. most people (myself included) like the US star system when it is producing actual stars with good on-screen personalities. But when one sees *acting*, real *acting*, everything is elevated to such a higher level.

I'm not a Holland fan, but I suspect he looks up to fellow brit Christian Bale, who first broke out in Spielberg's clunker 'Empire of the Sun'. And then went 'Psycho- American Psycho'.

BlackTron

I have no issues with Tom Holland, I think he's a little overrated just because he's in the spotlight now (think Shia LaBeouf a while back) but he seems okay and really not a bad Spider-Man in my opinion.

But casting him as Nathan Drake makes no sense to me at all.

BlackTron

I'm not a Holland fan, but I suspect he looks up to fellow brit Christian Bale, who first broke out in Spielberg's clunker 'Empire of the Sun'. And then went 'Psycho- American Psycho'.

This is a good point. I wasn't following this at the time, but I'm pretty sure when Christian Bale was cast as Batman nobody could imagine how it would work, and we see how that played out.

You really never know until you see it, I'm coming in with an open mind but it's still really hard for me to see this. Especially because Holland's lanky physique is on-point for Spider-Man, and he's probably tied up with that contract as his first priority. Not as simple as bulking up for the part like Bale did for Batman when the MCU people could be calling you for a cameo any moment.

stranno

He is an awful fit. Not only for his looks, height or body frame but the kind of a guy he stands for. Drake is an alpha male with a questionable past, sweetened by the good influence of Elena Fisher. Tom Holland is a textbook Beta male like Finn in Star Wars who is just good for being pushed around by women or whoever else by his side. A decent fit for Peter Parker but a hideous one for Nathan Drake.

But this is SJW in full force all over again, aiming at ridiculing a male lead character for this could only be good as a parody.

In Spain we have the real-life Nathan Drake and even his personality is pretty much like his.
:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

He is not exactly an alpha male..

OldGamer

It's honestly too early to say. I agree that he should be bulking up for roles like this. Hopefully he does.

As for the story and characters and overall tone, that is more of an overall mystery, so it is hard to say exactly what is being expected of Holland's performance at this stage and whether or not he's the right fit for the movie they have in mind. It is possible we are getting a Young Drake origin story and at that level he might work in transition but maybe not.

Iced Arcade

makes sense. he will grow older with sequels, hes a big name that they can attach to the project.

Most may not like to admit it BUT hollands name will sell more than the uncharted branding itself.

I like Tom Holland. He might not look like the Nathan Drake we are used to, but I’ll give him a chance. He’s a fucking kickass Spider-Man.

Nymphae

Banned
Much as I love to see him cast as Drake, the age factor is just too hard to ignore.

Let him age gracefully instead of trying to put him in a role that would have us all facepalm.

I don't know why people are acting like NF is senile at 48, and that there was no choice but to make this a sexy young Drake. Iron Man worked out pretty well putting an aging actor that was considered past his prime in the starring role.

Paracelsus

The problem is that not he looks like a 14 years old boy, it's that he has the charisma of an eggplant (no, childish quips and adolescent demeanor in shitty marvel movies ain't charisma) he's a supporting character pushed in a main role status because I guess that's Hollywood these days.

Top Bottom