• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Holland (Spider-Man) To Play Young Nathan Drake in Uncharted Movie

AudioEppa

I'm ok with this 😕

The beginning of U3 is one of my favorite parts. Was really happy they did more of it in U4. GG Sony Pictures.

Azzurri

Should have picked Dylan O'Brien as young Drake.

Mark Wahlberg played Vince Papali in Invincible who was 6'3 and Wahlberg is like 5'8

Young Nate in Uncharted 3 was way younger than Tom Holland, is not that he won't be going around spectacular set pieces, Carnahan already said he wrote the craziest set piece in his career (or something like that).

This is the movie universe though. You can start anywhere you like. It would be the same issue if he was already an adult. Nobody would know him either.

I think for a movie. Setting this up as the first time Drake and Sully met works. They still have their quips. Holland can clearly act. Now you just have to cast a good Sully. The games imo don't matter much in this respect as far as where they should start.

I think this is a great starting point.
Pretty much. Straight up trying to adapt the games doesn't make much sense. At best, you get a modern day Indiana Jones-type film with crazy blockbuster set pieces.

The two things that really anchor Uncharted IMO are the likeable characters and their chemistry, and the set pieces/acrobatic combat. You can't really replicate those moments on film without an insane budget, so you got to focus on the characters.

Also it doesn't matter if there's the worst or best, or most unliked, or whatever sections of the games. That all comes down to the pacing and appeal of an action game versus the pacing and editing that a movie can do (without having to worry about keeping players from the action too long or not giving them enough action and so on)

Sony: "Sorry kid we're gonna do our own Spider universe without you."

Holland: O____O

Sony: "But the good news is we want you to play a young Nathan Drake!"

Holland: T__________T

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I can see him working as the younger Drake. Young Drake in the games is a pretty different person from adult Drake.

latest

1200px-Tom_Holland_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg

Young Nate in Uncharted 3 was way younger than Tom Holland, is not that he won't be going around spectacular set pieces, Carnahan already said he wrote the craziest set piece in his career (or something like that).

if we stick with young Drake, then we get prime Sully. I'd say go for it, I'd love to see Sully's adventure in his prime.

Uncharted is a Hollywood pastiche as it is. Taking it in new territory rather than just aping the games is probably one of the better ways to go about things here. I'm actually okay with this.

Naythan

Hey, if they have to make a movie I actually think this is a smarter way of doing it than starting off with a generic Adult Drake. This has an actual hook to it that could pull in unaware audiences. Good move, in my opinion.

Skronk

Banned
I doubt they're going to be that precise with the casting that the chosen actor actually has to be the same height as whatever he's supposed to be on wiki or whatever. More importantly, if he's playing 'young' Drake, then he doesn't need to be his adult height. He's playing him at the age he was in Uncharted 3 which was,what, 13-15 years old?

It's about ethics in video game movie casting

dl77

I remember when I first heard about there possibly being an Uncharted film I remember thinking "Man I hope they get the director of the Night at the Museum trilogy to direct this. Plus, you know what, that teenage kid from The Impossible would be perfect to play Nathan Drake!"

Who next, Marky Mark?!

Ridley327

This is both a nice pick for the role and a more interesting route to go with an Uncharted movie than adapting one of the games. This might be the first good news that's hit the project in a long time.

Simo

Guess this gives us an idea of what kind actor they might be looking for to play adult Drake.
Then again I got nothing.

Not really. With Holland already in his, what? 20s?, and how long it takes for these movies and projects to get off the ground even for sequels and his popularity likely to soar from Spider-Man...he'd likely stay on to be Nate for any sequels if they happened.

OmegaFax

I still think Holland is largely untested in franchise feature films whether it is from a video game or a comic until we see how he is in Spider-Man Homecoming. Sure, we got a glimpse of him.in Civil War but that was just a slice of the character. He seems to be in good graces with Sony at least.

His size and gymnatics might have factored into it. I mean, Nathan Drake is pretty much a Spider-Man.

I remember when I first heard about there possibly being an Uncharted film I remember thinking "Man I hope they get the director of the Night at the Museum trilogy to direct this. Plus, you know what, that teenage kid from The Impossible would be perfect to play Nathan Drake!"

Who next, Marky Mark?!

Was considered but he turned it down.

ChazGW7

Sounds good to me, dudes a great actor going by his limited appearance in Civil War.

A lot of people are gonna doubt him, but that's just the way it is when you have a franchise with passionate fans. Looking forward to see him prove himself.

dl77

Never mind this. Where's my TLoU film?! I want to see Maisie Williams and Needle running through some zombies and thugs!

Naythan

Also, anyone else that confuses Tom Holland with Jamie Bell?

They look alike but Jamie is about ten years older than Tom and the peak of their fame is about that far apart as well. Pretty hard to confuse them in that light in my opinion.

Hydrus

I like the idea of a prequel. If they went with the adult take on it, people would always complain that live action drake was nothing like vg drake.

DieH@rd

Banned
Tom Holland .. isn't he like 5'8''? Drake is 6'1'' according to the interwebs ...

What does that has to do with anything? Tom Cruise is almost a midget, and yet that is never easily visible on screen.

I hope that they will not follow game stories too closely. Movies should be movies.

I can't imagine the people at ND are pleased with this tbh. So no Elena Fisher? No Chloe Frazer? This isn't the Uncharted movie we asked for. This has falure written all over it.

Top Bottom