• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Perkins' big idea: The rich should get more votes

Status
Not open for further replies.
They don't need more votes to wield an inappropriate amount of influence in politics. Can't they just enjoy the clear advantage they already have?

The rich are getting to comic-book-villian-levels of evil now. SMH. Something needs to be done before this problem really gets out of hand.

Correction: random asshats who presume to speak for an entire income bracket are getting to comic-book-villain levels of evil.

fallagin

What is up with all these idiotic rich people speaking up and saying dumb shit. Seriously, we've had like 4 in the past week or 2 that I know of. Of course, they do own fox news so technically they are doing this 24/7 anyways.

Cimeas

Banned
What is up with all these idiotic rich people speaking up and saying dumb shit. Seriously, we've had like 4 in the past week or 2 that I know of. Of course, they do own fox news so technically they are doing this 24/7 anyways.

If we think of the subject of ire as the "1%", then given that America has 300 million people, 1% would be 3 million people. So 4/3,000,000 seems pretty acceptable public asshat ratio. It wouldn't be acceptable to judge all poor people based on the actions of the few poor people who rape, murder and kill (though of course Fox News tries), and it's not fair to judge 'the rich' based on some rich morons. (not that that's exactly what you were doing).

There are 'good' rich people who give away billions to charity and help cure diseases and stuff, and there are 'bad' rich people, who fight for inequality and use their money to screw others over (like Donald Trump). That's the end of it. They don't need to be 'punished' because of a few douchebags, though I do think income tax (inc. capital gains) should hit 60% for over say $10m a year.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Dumb idea, but the calls for decapitation are a bit much aren't they?

Well, that's exactly what happened the last time the rich tried to maintain an aristocracy. Its not a literal suggestion, its simply pointing out that history is not on Mr. Perkins side.

besada

Banned
you're right, we should eat the rich. we can't be wasteful!
RKK7TLD.jpg

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
This un-American anti-Democracy sack of shit already has far more political influence than the average voter. One person one vote is all we have left keeping us from being a full blown plutocracy.

Next I suppose he'll be suggesting that the wealthy can claim the votes of all those in a certain zip code radius who are on welfare. Perhaps if I make the most money I can speak for an entire congressional district!

Since the courts have decided that money is speech, the rich already have more votes. They want more now?

Dumb idea, but the calls for decapitation are a bit much aren't they?
Bootstraps on one side, decapitations on the other. Its how we maintain equilibrium on the wheel of fortune.

Zero accountability and responsibility through the justice system means the aggrieved parties will find other ways. That's what history teaches.

Well I mean let's all stop and think about this guys. If the rich pay all the taxes and we use services like roads and fire departments and postal services then shouldn't we owe them?

Bring back indentured servitude, I say. That way us poors can work indefinitely to pay off debt that we can't climb out of because it keeps getting bigger every day! God bless America!

Milabrega

Bring back indentured servitude, I say. That way us poors can work indefinitely to pay off debt that we can't climb out of because it keeps getting bigger every day! God bless America!

You mean like Student Loan debt, that transitions into Mortgage debt then finishes up with medical debt? With some credit card debt thrown in at every phase. Sounds like a solid way of life!

I think it's funny how these guys don't learn from history, they always live in their closed off view of the world.

Don't they understand that a relationship needs a certain level of reciprocity? What do they think it's going to happen if things keep heading in the direction they are heading right now? Money won't save them from millions of people who will one day wake up moved by a message, and these guys will turn into "0 value".

They should worry about the consequences their grand sons and daughters will face once the mob brings the pitchforks.

They are worried. That's why they give the police these:

Cobb-County-APC.jpg

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
To be fair, how else would you be able to level the playing field? I mean, if you don't do this then it's 99% against 1%. My math my be rusty since being out of high school, but that seems pretty one sided, no?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I feel like the logic here is so bafflingly backwards. Paying more taxes is not something virtuous that you do that therefore should buy you any kind of consideration. Paying more taxes is an equalizing force based on the fact that you have already benefitted more from the US infrastructure and received wealth. Paying your taxes isn't a goddamn charity.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The rich need to quit pretending that income tax is the only form of tax.

Income taxes aren't the only taxes people pay. Everyone pays sales taxes. You start to allow corporations the ability to directly influence the political system, and you've just opened up a can of worms that would negatively affect most people.

here in Harper-land, the energy sector already dictates the way the Conservative government rolls

Dryk

1. Rich people get more votes for being rich
2. Rich people pay their employees less
3. Rich people increase the floor on the lowest tax bracket
4. Nobody else has votes

uh guys they already get infinitely more votes

they buy all the politicians

he's just dicking around pretending like he doesnt already have more votes than everyone else.

oneils

Probably already been said...but here goes. A lot of corporations don't pay taxes, so I guess they don't get a vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom