• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition |OT| Lara shot first

MaLDo

There you go. It's in no way a 50$ difference in gameplay or graphical features. So a nobrainer for PC people. They even have the extra option of higher res and better AA.

Better framerate if your pc can handle, better textures, better AO, better resolution shadows, more props in levels, tesselation in characters, objects, rocks and terrain, better precision tressFX and a face that seems to be having a really bad day.

On the other hand, you lose SSS, better accessories physics, some more leafy trees, a less oppressive lighting, and tuned gameplay.

Better framerate if your pc can handle, better textures, better AO, better resolution shadows, more props in levels, tesselation in characters, objects, rocks and terrain, better precision tressFX and a face that seems to be having a really bad day.
haha, yes, and all that.....

So feel secure with that version i'd say.

antitrop

It drives me mad that the banality of needless resolution/graphics discussion has infested almost all console gaming threads these days. Sometime soon we will start talking driver updates. :/
Was the thread for an HD remaster of a last-gen game that came out a year ago the best place to express this sentiment?

We've already talked the finer aspects of this game to death, the only interesting thing left to do is talk about the graphics.

Liamario

Banned
It drives me mad that the banality of needless resolution/graphics discussion has infested almost all console gaming threads these days. Sometime soon we will start talking driver updates. :/
Have to agree. It's getting tedious now. It's nothing less than willy waving.

Ricky_R

What else did you think people would talk about here? It's a next gen port of a recent last gen game where the improvements are basically visuals and performance.

delta25

Banned

On the other hand, you lose SSS, better accessories physics, some more leafy trees, a less oppressive lighting, and tuned gameplay.

You're comparing this off your badly compressed comparison and a direct comparison to something that was taken from a video. Tessellation I can agree with, but where did you come to the conclusion that props are missing from the definitive version and the textures are better on the PC? Would an increase in texture resolution(2k) not account for anything, or how does that work?

PS
I'm not trying to be facetious, I'm legitimately trying to understand where you're coming from?

icespide

Banned

resolution/graphics is literally the only thing to talk about with this release

dorkimoe

Gold Member
game was a ton of fun on pc last year. i will pick this up on ps4 when its like 20$ though, not gonna pay full price

i hope new people pick it up and enjoy it though, its great

I understand commenting on the graphics, but this is been taken to the extreme. No one spent page after page talking about the fullness of Jak and Daxter's face.

icespide

Banned
I understand commenting on the graphics, but this is been taken to the extreme. No one spent page after page talking about the fullness of Jak and Daxter's face.

well they also didn't make any changes to Jack and Daxter's face, this isn't just an up-resed version of last years game

MaLDo

You're comparing this off your badly compressed comparison and a direct comparison to something that was taken from a video. Tessellation I can agree with, but where did you come to the conclusion that props are missing from the definitive version and the textures are better on the PC? Would an increase in texture resolution(2k) not account for anything, or how does that work?

PS
I'm not trying to be facetious, I'm legitimately trying to understand where you're coming from?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-...vk/fZYlFVCFQdQ/s1920/TombRaiderPC02TessON.png
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAADvE/QRQ7hFibaB4/s1920/TombRaiderDE02.png

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...A2HOtB-gA_A/s1920/07-TombRaiderPC04TessON.png
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...AADwE/nZScEdBPvV4/s1920/08-TombRaiderDE04.png

and a few meters ahead, there is a hanging plant that is missing too.

This case is different. Because Naughty Dog just released a Jak and Daxter Definitive Edition where the main difference is a new face for the character.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
SSS is a great addition, but it's barely visible in that comparisson. TressFX seems static in PS4 gif
It is actually quite visible. Her skin looks plasticy in pc gif, just like it looks most of the time otherwise. I wouldn't compare hair animation based on that gif much because it's probably a bit random every time based on the wind. It was way overdone on pc anyway, so if they did restrain it a bit, that's probably for the better.

It's almost like this is an updated version of an old game where the only (real) changes are graphical in nature!

It is actually quite visible. Her skin looks plasticy in pc gif, just like it looks most of the time otherwise.

In the PC version it looks like she's covered in mud, dirt, and grime. In the DE it looks like she has a full body blush she can't get rid of in every shot.

panda-zebra

tumblr_mzddxlmEy81qi0854o3_500.gif

ibdzX3h8syNrQG.gif

PS4 top, PC bottom.

Hair movement in bottom one is rather odd. There seem to be two sections to the hair - an inner slice that doesn't move much then a wig on top seemingly made of rubber, all moving in unison and not at all convincingly... sort of how it'd be if it was one huge lump with transparency. If the top one is toned down, it was done for reasons other than just cutting corners. More likely it's just an odd example.

Portugeezer

Gold Member

You think that is for technical reasons? Maybe they just thought it looks better. I don't see why any of that would be for technical reasons as those underground/indoor areas run smoothest.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
In the PC version it looks like she's covered in mud, dirt, and grime. In the DE it looks like she has a full body blush she can't get rid of in every shot.
There are scenes where's covered with mud and blood in new version as well, it's like additive texture layer. The base skin however looks fake and plasticy even in the high-end pc version. Human skin is just not supposed to have that kind of grayish reflectance to it. Her eyes also don't look flat anymore in the new version, so they've clearly put some work there as well.

xion4360

the radar box " indicators for example" look better on PS4.

but without a question, the hair, the skin, the hair movement, all look much better on PC. like,,, much much better

Thats ridiculous. in no way does the skin look better on PC. The hair looks a bit better on PC but its also a bit more glitchy in game because its not as well optimized. The hair movement is just as good on PS4 as it is on the latest version of tressfx on PC minus the fact it seems to turn off when aiming..

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Damn. Looks great on PS4, 55" D8000.

More impressive overall than my maxed out PC version, silky smooth too. Also looks like they updated the cinematic a to add TressFX where as before it was disabled in some scenes if I recall. Or maybe it is a ore rendered vs realtime issue.

Either way, looks nice.

xion4360

Oh my god, why are the eyes 2 times bigger?

They're not. They have a different shape but they are not really bigger, it just so happens she opened her eyes wider, or was in the middle of opening them on the PC shot.

Damn. Looks great on PS4, 55" D8000.

More impressive overall than my maxed out PC version, silky smooth too. Also looks like they updated the cinematic a to add TressFX where as before it was disabled in some scenes if I recall. Or maybe it is a ore rendered vs realtime issue.

Either way, looks nice.

the scenes in the boat that lara views on the camera are pre-recorded.. the PC version used the same old ps3 video but the DE ones were re-rendered to use the improvements. Neither version got new thumbnails for those tutorial promts though.

Tux

It's expressive but what expression is that exactly?

I see the fear much better in old Lara's face than the new one.

I know what you are talking about. There's something about the new face model that makes her look…uhmmm…less attractive? I can't put my finger on it. Maybe her eyes being bigger (although Anime prefers that style) and her lower lip/jaw (taking motion). But the detail in her eyes and skin is way better in the new model. Maybe they can adjust it when they get more familiar with the modeling software? Not sure. I still maintain that her over-all look is better and more detailed in the new version.

I remember seeing screen caps a few weeks ago and I wasn't pleased with the outcome of her face. But then these new screen caps and gameplay videos came out and she looked much more refined. So, I was happy with the newer look that before. But there's something still off a bit. Crystal Dynamics need to find that sweet spot or they'll slip back into the uncanny valley.

P.S. This has nothing to do with 1080p or frame rates or details in the bushes. I don't care about that. The world looks way better on this version than the PS3/360. It's her face model that I'm concerned about.

So it is actually closer than people want to believe.

I hope df does an In depth look for this game.

How so? It is still a difference of 20+ frames per second. He never even hinted that it was "closer than people want to believe."

And dont worry, DF will do it, its too big of a story to ignore it. Look at all the sites that had stories about the differences in framerate.

TyrantII

SSS is a great addition, but it's barely visible in that comparisson. TressFX seems static in PS4 gif, Eye lids animation seems better in pc too (maybe because gif framerate, or maybe becuase the better motion blur). Lips animation is missing in PS4 gif too (maybe it happens later). Hair shadows have lower resolution in DE. Another difference, DE gif lacks ambient occlusion between Lara's head and hair, so it seems that the hair is floating over the head.

I'm seeing AO there. Its also a different time stamp in the same scene between the comparison, so comparing animation is a bit disingenuous.

If were going this anal-retentive in a comparison, you'll need the same exact frames give or take a few.

Cragvis

I think the mere fact that we now have to have side by side gif/screen comparisons between console and PC versions is amazing. If consoles have gotten so good that you have to do a frame by frame comparison to their PC counterparts, then they are doing things right.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
tumblr_mzddxlmEy81qi0854o3_500.gif

ibdzX3h8syNrQG.gif

PS4 top, PC bottom.
More strands in the PC version, but then I remember the PC version in motion looking like Nina Williams in the Tekken 2 intro, hopefully the DE isn't that bad(atlrast not from I've seen)
Also notice the light hitting off Lara's skin (look at her shoulder) you can see even more so in the Nextgen Lara trailer, whereas the PC version her skin looks very pastelly( in the gif) like shes been painted by one pastel skin colour, nextgen Lara actually has a warm colour pigments all over with detail in them that react to light(sub-surface?)
I think both look good, but nextgen Lara does look more real.

BPoole

New face looks too bug eyed. Other than that it looks just as good as the PC version. Props to Crystal Dynamics

Tux

I'm seeing AO there. Its also a different time stamp in the same scene between the comparison, so comparing animation is a bit disingenuous.

If were going this anal-retentive in a comparison, you'll need the same exact frames give or take a few.

Yeah, my complains were tiny. It focused on her eyes size and lip/jaw models and animations. Not a itemized comparison of the PC. In fact, the models I'm comparing is from the PS3/360 vs the PS4 version. PC face comparison from the old Lara I guess could be used also.

The person you replied to is more concerned with everything. Not just face. Meh.

Hyphen

I think the mere fact that we now have to have side by side gif/screen comparisons between console and PC versions is amazing. If consoles have gotten so good that you have to do a frame by frame comparison to their PC counterparts, then they are doing things right.

True. But maybe a game that has been made from the ground up to be nothing but 'next-gen' would be a better/fairer comparison?

I'm trying to wade through this insane thread to see if anyone posting here has personal experience with it maintaining 60 fps on PS4. It matters to me not because of this PS4 vs XB1/PC mess - but because I like how games look running at 60 fps.

So can anyone give some personal insight?

Thanks!

Eanan

This is only only £16.85 @ ShopTo (Both Playstation 4 & Xbox One) for the Tomb Raider Definitve Edtion Digipack Preorder.

Top Bottom