• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider - E3 2011 CG Trailer

decyx

phillax said:
People always find something to complain about.

People have differences of opinion. More power to you all if you enjoyed the trailer; some of us didn't.

I don't have a problem with the voice actress. It's her delivery that I take issue with, but I'd say that's mostly the fault of the writing. It's hard for any actor worth their salt to deliver lines with conviction and force if they know what they're saying is garbage.

Luckily, games aren't about proper storytelling so as long as it plays well, it'll be fine.

jett

D-Member
Tomb-Raider-reboot-006.jpg

What happened to this particularly awesome CG? Lara in the trailer looks nothing like it.

i sure hope they dont start the game with you taking conrol of Lara, needing to get to air while your health meter goes down or the screen gradually turning red or whatever.

derFeef

jett said:
What happened to this particularly awesome CG? Lara in the trailer looks nothing like it.
Same model, but the cover got a bit reworked. More details, lighting also makes a lot of difference. And the dirt.

KurowaSan said:
that Lara cover isn't a CG render, it's a drawing.
The model got painted over, yes.

Grisby

DennisK4 said:
Poor Lara...

:(

I think thats my favorite Gif you've ever made. Fantastic.

Watched the trailer again this morning and still loved it. Her new voice actress is great.

One question though, anyone else think how weird it was for Lara to be rescued and you don't see they guy who did it.

The Lamp said:
As cool as that was, they really need to stop with CG trailers for promoting games we haven't really seen in action yet.
I couldn't disagree more. Some of the best trailers ever were CG reveals. Deus Ex HR's epic CG trailer was, imo, the best game trailer ever made. Another great one was the Dead Island trailer. I love these. Nothing wrong with it. We all know it's not gameplay; it's just a way to add some nice atmosphere to the game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Arnie said:
This was a fantastic little CG video, set her up and her situation. Can't wait for this game, glad they're taking the IP and making something grander with it.
I'm sorry, but how were prior TR games not grand? I don't even understand as I consider TR to pretty much have always nailed the "grand" aspect in feel and scale.

Yoshiya

Heavy said:
I couldn't disagree more. Some of the best trailers ever were CG reveals. Deus Ex HR's epic CG trailer was, imo, the best game trailer ever made. Another great one was the Dead Island trailer. I love these. Nothing wrong with it. We all know it's not gameplay; it's just a way to add some nice atmosphere to the game.
Completely agree. It's is a little concerning though that they probably spent more on this trailer than they ever made from Guardian of Light :/ I want a sequel!

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
That was great. Lara looks great. Awesome way to set the tone for the new game.

Though one part kind of bothered me...
Lara is all like "in our darkest moments, when life flashes before us, we find something... something that keeps us going" .... and then a man comes and saves her.

Seems kind of... uh, setting the women's movement back a bit subtly there, eh? Especially Lara Croft, the brains, brawn and beauty, gives a motivational speech about struggle and 'finding something within us that keeps us moving' - oh wait, I didn't, I needed a man to save me.

(Not a real complaint. Just found it humerus)

Heavy said:
Deus Ex HR's epic CG trailer was, imo, the best game trailer ever made.

Goddamnit yes. The worst part was when some shitty awards show made TOP 5 CG TRAILERS OF 2010 (was it GT or the terrible Spike TV Awards shit? I forget) and DX didn't even get a nomination.

I love everything about this reboot. I really hope the game delivers.

A survival-uncharted? Sign me in.

Just more Uncharted with gritty survivor Lara? Sign me in.

Proper exploration and survival? Fucking sign me in.

Don't fuck this up, CD.

And the new Lara is soooo pretty.

Great trailer. Love everything in it, and am eager to learn more. Next one, though, better have some gameplay to satisfy my needs.

Yoshiya

Stallion Free said:
It's like people forget which series was here first. They're completely different in focus anyway. Uncharted is primarily a TPS, which Tomb Raider never was and (hopefully) never will be. That's not to make a quality judgement, but the series simply aren't comparable like that.

jbttwin

It pisses me off that people still see this reboot as "Uncharted with a female lead". Can't the two franchises co exist without people feeling like their "borrowing" from one another?

derFeef

metareferential said:
I love everything about this reboot. I really hope the game delivers.

A survival-uncharted? Sign me in.

Just more Uncharted with gritty survivor Lara? Sign me in.

Proper exploration and survival? Fucking sign me in.

Don't fuck this up, CD.

And the new Lara is soooo pretty.
Ugh jesus christ.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
jbttwin said:
It pisses me off that people still see this reboot as "Uncharted with a female lead". Can't the two franchises co exist without people feeling like their "borrowing" from one another?
Uncharted is the only one whoever did borrowing. And they did it poorly.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
jbttwin said:

Who thinks this? There's pretty much nothing survival oriented about Uncharted.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The Lamp said:
Well it's neat that this is the first Tomb Raider game in years to actually be in development long enough to potentially be...well....really good.
I quite liked Legend and Underworld, mind you.

John Harker said:

Lara is all like "in our darkest moments, when life flashes before us, we find something... something that keeps us going" .... and then a man comes and saves her.

Seems kind of... uh, setting the women's movement back a bit subtly there, eh? Especially Lara Croft, the brains, brawn and beauty, gives a motivational speech about struggle and 'finding something within us that keeps us moving' - oh wait, I didn't, I needed a man to save me.

(Not a real complaint. Just found it humerus)
iseewhatyoudidthere.gif

jbttwin

GuardianE said:
Who thinks this? There's pretty much nothing survival oriented about Uncharted.

No one in particular but you'll read ignorant shit like this all over the internet when this game is mentioned.

So the question is -- who pulled Lara out of the water and saved her from drowning?

MIB/Jacob/island spirit is my bet
although that would be lame.

Salaadin

Larson Conway said:
So the question is -- who pulled Lara out of the water and saved her from drowning?

I wondered that too. One sec, shes being pulled out and the next, shes ditching whoever pulled her out so she can make a failed jump and evenutally fall back in. Oh Lara, you so silly!

StuBurns

Banned
Larson Conway said:

This is the Lost game I've been waiting for.

jbttwin said:
He probably died.
No, seriously. I think the "spirit" assumption has its merits. One frame he's standing in front of her having pulled her out, and literally the next frame, from Lara's POV, he's vanished. Cue running to jump to Papa Roth several meters away on the other half of the sinking ship.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Very little about that trailer makes any sense at all. Its like someone storyboarded a bunch of awesome shit, they took a sampling of it and tried to make it work.

Some dude popped in and said, "You guys realize that none of this makes any sense at all, right? Like, who would make that jump in the rain and what kind of superhuman strength does that man have to hold on for ever that long? And why did that boat wash ashore, how were the waves even that strong? What the shit?"

and the reply was, "Just let it happen."

edit:
DennisK4 said:
Uncharted?

What is that? Like a poor mans Tomb Raider?
A simple man's Tomb Raider.

Nizz

Damn, Fall 2012? That's a long wait. For some reason I thought it was Q1/Q2 (calendar) of next year.

John Harker said:

At that moment, I did expect Lara's eyes to snap open and for her to smash herself through or something. But I guess the idea is that at this starting point, she isn't the badass 'get through anything' Lara yet.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Mister_Bubbles said:
At that moment, I did expect Lara's eyes to snap open and for her to smash herself through or something.
I was looking for someone to pull out a grenade.

Top Bottom