• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tommy Tallarico and the original creators are making a new Earthworm Jim game for the Intellivision Amico

Bullet Club

There's a new Earthworm Jim game from his original creators But...

The original creators of Earthworm Jim are reuniting for a new game - but you'll need Amico, the new Intellivision console due October 2020, to play it.

Amico is set to be a console for exclusive retro-themed games - remakes and new titles such as this new Earthworm Jim. The console itself will cost between $150 and $180 (about £135) with downloadable games priced between $3 and £8 (about £6).

Tommy Tallarico, who is conveniently both Intellivision boss as well as Earthworm Jim 1 and 2's composer, will the project. Nine other team members are also on board.

"We have been talking about this moment for many years, it's a dream come true to finally get the entire team back together," Tallarico said. "We're looking forward to sharing a small part of our reunion and initial design meeting with fans from around the world."

The team will hold a 20-minute livestream this Saturday, 4th May at 8pm UK time to discuss the project and give away signed posters.

Source: Eurogamer

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Yes when I think of Earthworm Jim I think of Intellivision. What the heck was he thinking? After this thing flops they better release it elsewhere so we can play it with real controllers. In fact you want people to buy it or know it even exists? Make it for the Switch with an Amiibo instead. Your fans will thank you by doing so.

Last edited by a moderator:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'm going to watch this closely, although I am still unconvinced. Intellivision will not be able to sell based on nostalgia. Perhaps it can sell on quality, though.

Reactions: Isa

tkscz

Is Doug Tennaple also working on this? Dude got dog piled by SJWs not to long ago but hasn't let it stop him from making books, but he is the original creator of EWJ. I know if he is apart of it, REEEEE is going to have a field day.

Vlaphor

1: EWJ 1 is kind of the only great game in the series. EWJ 2 has moments of quality, mixed with a whole lot of mediocrity. Amazing soundtrack on the Saturn though. Everything else with the EWJ name on it is bad.

2: They've been announcing new Earthworm Jim games for years and years. None of them ever come out, so no idea if this ever will come out either.

3: Exclusive to the Intellivision, until it bombs or never comes out and then it will be on everything else.

Last edited:

Airola

I'm surprisingly interested in this system. Not too excited about Earthworm Jim although it's a nice little curiosity for it, but I'm overall excited about this console in general.
I love exclusives and if I could decide I would make every single console have only exclusive games. If they want to make an Assassin's Creed game to more than one console, they would have to make them different from each other. If two consoles want to have a hockey game, they would have to be different hockey games.

I love the idea of this console having actual exclusive games in it.

Last edited:

Tarkus98

Now I’m going to have to buy an Intellivision? Man, they better port this game over or I’m going to go broke next year.

Finally, I'll be able to play pong on a console with onboard interactive lighting!

Seriously, though, the only thing I ever enjoyed about Earthworm Jim was the presentation; I never much cared for it, as an actual video game. Assuming both the game and console manage to become realities, just based on the YouTube video, this Interllivision platform doesn't seem like the place, where I'd want a new Earthworm Jim title.

HyGogg

Banned
Is Doug Tennaple also working on this? Dude got dog piled by SJWs not to long ago but hasn't let it stop him from making books, but he is the original creator of EWJ. I know if he is apart of it, REEEEE is going to have a field day.
They already are.

In fairness, it's not just SJWs that have a problem with Doug, he's a pretty toxic dude, not just brazenly homophobic and transphobic, but generally a real cunt about it. Also historically a real asshole to fans and media, too. He seems to have learned over time that all of this is bad for business, but people remember.

All that said, he's a talented guy, and all his bullshit seldom seems to bleed into his work, and I consider myself a fan. I'd never be friends with the guy, but I like his work, what can I say? In fact, I have a couple ink/watercolor drawings of his on my desk.

Last edited:

tkscz

They already are.

In fairness, it's not just SJWs that have a problem with Doug, he's a pretty toxic dude, not just brazenly homophobic and transphobic, but generally a real cunt about it. Also historically a real asshole to fans and media, too. He seems to have learned over time that all of this is bad for business, but people remember.

All that said, he's a talented guy, and all his bullshit seldom seems to bleed into his work, and I consider myself a fan. I'd never be friends with the guy, but I like his work, what can I say? In fact, I have a couple ink/watercolor drawings of his on my desk.

The fact that he's been trying to be less of a dick is something I have been noticing but yeah, none of his beliefs or phobias ever leak into his work. Ratfist is such a damn good read

HyGogg

Banned
What happened to that Atari one btw?
Chillin' with the Theranos Edison in the Land of Imagination.

Serious answer, they apparently just settled on the chipset a couple weeks ago, which should tell you about where they are in terms of development

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
Making all games exclusive is absolutely badass. If only they didn't limit it to just E & E10+ titles, I swear to god, I would become a developer for them. MS,Sony, Nintendo take note.

Oh yeah, and happy for the Earthworm Jim news. :messenger_ok:

Last edited:

MacReady13

How do these people even keep track of the people they are supposed to hate? Is there a list or something? It must be so exhausting.

I'm really rooting for this console. It seems such a ballsy move.

What happened to that Atari one btw?

It's easy to keep track of people you hate when you basically hate everybody, like those fucktards clearly do. They even have a thread on Kinda Funny's Greg and Andrea. Fuck me they're incredible over there. Why I visit there is beyond me... guess i'm a glutton for punishment but it's actually a nice reminder that somehow, there are people like that who exist in our world.

Isa

It's easy to keep track of people you hate when you basically hate everybody, like those fucktards clearly do. They even have a thread on Kinda Funny's Greg and Andrea. Fuck me they're incredible over there. Why I visit there is beyond me... guess i'm a glutton for punishment but it's actually a nice reminder that somehow, there are people like that who exist in our world.

Wow, they've been keeping tabs on them for "sins" of the past? Good lord.

Thanks OP, I forgot this was a thing. If the launch library is worth it, then I'd be very ok with a day 1 purchase to support better gaming practices. Is it true though that they only want rated E titles? That's especially limiting. Hell the violence and even levels and crude humor would lend it a Teen I'd wager. But hey what do I know. I'd seriously love for this to work out for them, have a great EWJ title after so long and a killer OST to boot.

Doczu

I'm kinfa interested in the console tbh.

Exclusive games and the low price point is nice, but only E rated games?
Hope it won't end like the other "cheap alternstives for the big 3.

Not convinced on the disc based controller. Never used one from the original console, is it any good, or will it suck for certain genres?

Sorcerer

I hope Intellevsion Earth Worm Jim is a point and click or a visual novel, otherwise I can't see how in the world you will be able to play it with that controller. Who thinks before this thing launches "additional controllers" will be available to purchase that are more modern? I can smell it now.

Last edited:

Sorcerer

Not convinced on the disc based controller. Never used one from the original console, is it any good, or will it suck for certain genres?
It pretty horrendous, even for games back then. You will suffer from hand cramps and carpal tunnel in the long run trying to play a modern game.

The Snake

It sucked then and it sucks now. Nobody is nostalgic for this thing. They've lost their minds.

-MD-

I'd play a new Earthworm but I don't even fuckin know what an Amico is.

Last edited:
I'm one of the few where the nostalgia works because I loved our Intellivision when I was a little kid. I'm probably down for this day one but I have to say to logo is awful and the physical design of the console isn't looking very hot either (I hope you can turn the lights off). That being said I'd be all in for some of the classic remakes and it could be a lot of fun for couch coop/multiplayer.

screen-shot-2018-10-22-at-114830-am-1540230657723.png

QzGRKUu.gif

BigBooper

I'm pretty interested in it. If they keep the game prices low and the machine is cheap enough, I will give it a shot. I never had an Intellivision, so the nostalgia isn't there for me necessarily, but I have some young kids and I like his vision for this whole thing, so sure, send me one.

anthraticus

Banned
It wasn't bad at all, but most people didn't know how to use it properly. (as you can see from some of the responses you're getting)

Chizzle

Neo Member
Yes when I think of Earthworm Jim I think of Intellivision. What the heck was he thinking? After this thing flops they better release it elsewhere so we can play it with real controllers. In fact you want people to buy it or know it even exists? Make it for the Switch with an Amiibo instead. Your fans will thank you by doing so.

This.

Vorg

Banned
Bets on how long before this console bombs miserably and the game gets ported to other systems? My bet is less than a year.

Why the frig would they make this for a console no one will buy? PC port plz.

I remember reading an article about Doug on the sadly short lived site Gameological Society circa 2012/2013 that dealt with the controversy over him in a surprisingly even handed way, rather than demonizing and viciously attacking him.

A good example of years things have declined over the years.

EDIT: I found the article in question link and it's incredibly, incredible ironic to read in today's light, has the world really changed so much since 2013?

Doug Tennaple's artwork is so good. Better than most modern DC/Marvel.

He really is incredibly talented.

Last edited:

Kdad

Hey Tommy...if its 'all about ideas", launch this software at an exclusive store that runs on PC and share your ideas...having to buy a $180 paperweight to gain entry to your ideas is ridiculous. If you must, sell a $25 controller to use on PC that mimics the Intellivision controller.

Top Bottom