• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomorrow is a pretty exciting day for VR - Rumours and hopium

Buggy Loop

Quest 3 at Meta connect :

Already unboxed

Charging dock?
r8Xn3b5a1ZvMD_D7dukq7i2ivpdTkeKIkOgyMQDBiCk.png

Did you see this Assassin's creed VR trailer from 4 days ago? I sure didn't

Leaked spec sheet.

vfv0bdhet0qb1.jpg

$499 for 128GB

18 PPD, 18 pixels per degree. Quest 2 had 20 PPD and Quest pro 22 PPD. This raises a lot of eyebrows but there's so many factors in PPD that can change the number to be lower and not to be like visually a negative is that, it could be that it has a single panel, unlike Quest pro which had two, so dead space in the center brings this down. Or higher FOV brings down PPD.

Speaking of which, this rumour,

Site was taken down (too soon?) and archives reveals these details :

- This article seems like it hadn't been finished being edited and probably wasn't supposed to be released at 3am September 27th. It mentions that the Quest 3 *was* unveiled at Connect on September 26th, U.S. time. I think they got the date wrong, even for the U.S., because the first stream goes live on the 28th in Japan time, 10am PST on the 27th in the U.S.
- Release date October 10th, 128gb version 78000 yen ($501.92) and 512gb version 96800 yen ($649.55).
- Memory is 8gb
- It claims the display is a 小型の有機ELパネルとなった, a "small OLED panel." It also mentions a Horizontal FOV of 110 degrees and a vertical FOV of 96 degrees.
- It claims that those who buy the 128gb model will receive the full version of Asgard's Wrath 2 (presumably not a demo) (a 5990 yen/$40.20 value), and those who buy the 512gb version will receive both Asgard's Wrath 2 and a 6 month subscription to Meta Quest+ (worth 13190 yen/$88.52).

IybPcWZ.jpg

Reminder :
Rift CV1 87.95 horizontal, 89.66 vertical
Rift S 88H 94V
Quest 1 104H 100V
Quest 2 104H 98V
Quest Pro 106H 95.5
VIndex 108H 109V
So a tad above Index on horizontal, but similar to Quest pro vertically. If true, i'll take it!

OLED? 110 FOV? Asgard wrath 2 included?

Interested Season 10 GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Although OLED doesn't make sense with pancake lenses so probably bullshit article. Maybe they removed because they were not ready to finish editing and they're waiting on tomorrow's connect.

HOPIUM TIME

Happy Mood GIF by Pudgy Penguins

DECKARD?

Valve release the biggest SteamVR update in ages this monday

“Valve says the beta update is “just the beginning of SteamVR 2.0’s journey, and we’ll have more to share in the coming weeks and months as we collect feedback and work on the features mentioned above. “

Valve is radio silence on VR since Alyx launch and now of all the days in a year, they break silence a few days before Meta connect?

Remember this tweet from Counterstrike 2 twitter?

Well SteamVR 2.0 promo image also included CS2

50ni25cn7mqb1.jpg

Does Valve have the balls to drop Deckard the same day as Quest 3's big unveil?

Take with a grain of salt all of the above. But to me this is exciting. PCVR has been DORMANT.

Last edited:
Yo are we getting an actual Valve made CS VR?!?!?

EDIT:

I’m good for the next couple of years with my Index, since I upgraded to it from the OG Vive, but I’m really curious what Valve is cooking up for their Index successor.

Last edited:

Reallink

Very important piece of context to note, Valve unveiled the Index two weeks before Quest 1's launch. Quest 3 is expected to launch 2 weeks from tomorrow's showcase. Valve would be pulling the biggest troll since "please be excited" FF7 if they actually don't have anything to announce after this big ass SteamVR 2.0 update and Counterstrike 2 "accidentally" appearing on VR game pages after that tweek last week that coincided with Meta Connect down to the hour. 99% chance that will at least tease a VR product tomorrow around noon EST.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Honest question, is there any first-party game releasing on the Quest 3?

Yea.

They've bought 9 studios since late 2019. FTC even tried to stop some acquisitions but it failed.

They own
  • Beat games : Beat Saber, might have heard of it
  • Sanzaru Games : Asgard's Wrath
  • Ready at Dawn : Lone Echo 1 & 2
  • Downpour Interactive : Onward
  • BigBox : Population : one
  • Within : Supernatural (fitness)
  • Twisted Pixel games : Wilson's heart, Defector, Path of the Warrior
  • Armature Studio : RE 4 VR
  • Camouflaj : Iron Man VR
They're pretty good 1st party wise. They just have to drop the fucking metaverse waste of time and refocus on GAMING.

Very important piece of context to note, Valve unveiled the Index 2 weeks before Quest 1's launch. Quest 3 is expected to launch 2 weeks from tomorrow's showcase. Valve would be pulling the biggest troll since "please be excited" FF7 if they actually don't have anything to announce after this big ass SteamVR 2.0 update and the Counterstrike leaks.

Wow so they potentially have the balls to drop the news tomorrow.

Imagine they announce Deckard, included with Half Life Alyx 2 at launch
which is half life 3 for those who played Alyx

Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

Would be the biggest kneecap of competition in history. I'm getting dizzy from the hopium haha

Last edited:
1. Do I need a Facebook account, fake or otherwise?

2. Can it run Google Earth?

That’s pretty much all I need to know before making a purchase decision.

nial

Gold Member
Yea.

They've bought 9 studios since late 2019. FTC even tried to stop some acquisitions but it failed.

They own
  • Beat games : Beat Saber, might have heard of it
  • Sanzaru Games : Asgard's Wrath
  • Ready at Dawn : Lone Echo 1 & 2
  • Downpour Interactive : Onward
  • BigBox : Population : one
  • Within : Supernatural (fitness)
  • Twisted Pixel games : Wilson's heart, Defector, Path of the Warrior
  • Armature Studio : RE 4 VR
  • Camouflaj : Iron Man VR
They're pretty good 1st party wise. They just have to drop the fucking metaverse waste of time and refocus on GAMING.
I actually know about that, but I'm wondering if they have confirmed anything new for the Quest 3, I've only heard of third-party games so far.

Looking for a reason to upgrade my Reverb G2... looked at pimax crystal, varjo aero and BGB, but all had at least one major flaw that stopped me.

The deckard might be it, but it feels too hyped for too long not to somehow disappoint. Let's see...

Reallink

WRT Quest 3 using OLED displays, 99% chance that's bogus. Pancake optics + black frame insertion absorb like 95% of a display's light output, and "cheap" traditional OLED displays only reach a few hundred nits at the pixel density VR displays require (PSVR2's 200-300 nits through Fresnel lenses would be like 20 nits through pancakes). The cheapest MicroOLED's available would cost several hundred dollars a pair even at Facebook's volume discount, so pretty much no way that's happening in a $499 headset. Considering they lost money on a $300 Q2 with a single garbage ass $20 LCD display, they would be losing mountains of money on a $500 headset with $300-$400 in raw display cost. A $1000+ Pro 2/Pro 3 make could probably swing MicroOLED's though.

Last edited:

Crayon

Yeah I ain't fuckin with any other set till I see deckard. I can roll with my psvr2 for however long it takes for valve to drop the bomb.

Buggy Loop

What are the rumored specs?

So many

That's also typical with Valve, they have a tornado of ideas and patents when prototyping, what lands in the final product, nobody knows.

There were rumours of pancake lenses, micro-OLED, eye tracking, modular optics, modular input (standalone, wireless, cable), modular with existing tracking hardware, a PCVR console (yes), a streaming device that streams the game wirelessly with low latency, that they are very much focused on "spacial computing" ala Apple as a feature, passthrough AR, etc.

Its the headset with the most open patents and rumours and yet the most secretive of them all. Valve is crazy like that. Nobody knows WTF they are doing.

Also they hired a psychologist to basically use the sensors, especially eye tracking, for biofeedback. It knows pretty much exactly how you feel and could adapt a game content on the fly for it. I saw an interview with this guy that basically says that, hand gesture for Apple vision like "clicks" is almost worthless as the eye's pupil will react and be detected before you even actually move your fingers to make the click you wanted to make. So eye tracking can also help and add a layer of precision on top of hand tracking.

Last edited:
The underrated bonus of Quest is its retro VR shooters from Team Beef. Doom 1-3, Quake 1-4, jedi outcast/academy, Duke Nukem, Wolfenstein, and all of them have loads of mods.

Look at all these ports. Keep in mind it's like playing them for the first time in VR.

That was fucking hype man, had no idea these games were ported to VR and with hand tracking too :messenger_open_mouth:

Only have pcvr for now, but this makes me very very tempted... need to check how to get these games though, from the comments it seems it's not through the standard shop or anything.

Romulus

That was fucking hype man, had no idea these games were ported to VR and with hand tracking too :messenger_open_mouth:

Only have pcvr for now, but this makes me very very tempted... need to check how to get these games though, from the comments it seems it's not through the standard shop or anything.

I think alot of them are PCVR now, but it's pretty cool for standalone wireless. It's called sidequest is how you upload them. Lots of tutorials.

I think alot of them are PCVR now, but it's pretty cool for standalone wireless. It's called sidequest is how you upload them. Lots of tutorials.
You're the fucking GOAT my man!
I would 100% replay stuff like doom and RTCW on VR, free aiming and all.
Do you know if there's some repository of these VR enabled games? It seems the group you linked to has a patreon, so I assume they are selling these mods there through donations.
pcvr or quest, i might get the quest 3 at this rate even if the deckard turns out to be real (might get both if so).

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
If quest 3 has oled the I’m in day one. I simply don’t believe it.

Honest question here, how is this headset better in any way than the psvr2? Except for it can work standalone, and has a pancake lens?

CuNi

Waiting for Deckard, defo.
Will most likely sell the index to buy Deckard day1. I wonder if it will need lighthouse or not, or even get new a new version of lighthouse.

Fredrik

If you’ve never done it you really should order lenses for your VR headset.

It’s amazing to finally see without glasses and it makes the VR experience way better.
I have old man eyes, progressive glasses, and some other issues. Can they fix everything on those prescription lenses?

Could do it if I was 100% sure there wouldn’t be any issues.

But I use Quest 2 just fine with glasses so if Quest 3’s smaller size makes it difficult to fit glasses inside it’s a bad design from my point of view.

Chukhopops

I have old man eyes, progressive glasses, and some other issues. Can they fix everything on those prescription lenses?

Could do it if I was 100% sure there wouldn’t be any issues.

But I use Quest 2 just fine with glasses so if Quest 3’s smaller size makes it difficult to fit glasses inside it’s a bad design from my point of view.
I don't know, I'm also old (42) but I have a low correction.

I ordered from https://vroptician.com/ and they say you need just the "far" prescription so the lenses don't need a different correction for near and far vision?

All I can say is it's really worth it if you enjoy VR, the comfort is way better than glasses as they cause this weird reflection effect when you use a headset.

Sakura

Ok, because then it’s vastly inferior to psvr2 then unfortunately. No eye tracking, smaller fov, very probably no oled, don’t know about how comfortable it is to wear.

On the plus side, it works on pc I assume, and you can watch adult flix.
Pancake lenses are pretty nice.
It has colour passthrough while the PSVR2 is black and white iirc.
We don't know what the fov is.
You can also use it wirelessly with the PC.

You might not be interested in that stuff, but I would hardly call it vastly inferior. It depends how important that stuff is to you.

Pancake lenses are pretty nice.
It has colour passthrough while the PSVR2 is black and white iirc.
We don't know what the fov is.
You can also use it wirelessly with the PC.

You might not be interested in that stuff, but I would hardly call it vastly inferior. It depends how important that stuff is to you.
Well the most important development in vr over the past years I’d say is the foveated rendering with eye tracking. It’s really a shame it’s assumable it will not be present in the Q3.

All the other stuff I would say is off slightly less importance. And I think any headset that doesn’t do foveated rendering with eye tracking is vastly inferior because you leave extremely much power on the table.

Sakura

Well the most important development in vr over the past years I’d say is the foveated rendering with eye tracking. It’s really a shame it’s assumable it will not be present in the Q3.

All the other stuff I would say is off slightly less importance. And I think any headset that doesn’t do foveated rendering with eye tracking is vastly inferior because you leave extremely much power on the table.
I would disagree, at least for PC VR gaming.
If you are trying to VR game on lower end harder, then sure, it will help.
But if you have a good PC, then it doesn't matter much.

I've been toying with the ideas of getting a new VR headset for a while and almost bit the bullet on the Index. I am going to wait for the "Deckard" and go from there.

I would disagree, at least for PC VR gaming.
If you are trying to VR game on lower end harder, then sure, it will help.
But if you have a good PC, then it doesn't matter much.
Yes but that’s the thing, 99% of the people don’t have ultra powerful hardware, and the hardware in the glasses itself is also not super powerful so it’d be a huuuuuge win to have it, everyone besides a few elites would benefit massively from it and it would help VR big time as a whole because quest is the most popular headset.

Yes but that’s the thing, 99% of the people don’t have ultra powerful hardware, and the hardware in the glasses itself is also not super powerful so it’d be a huuuuuge win to have it, everyone besides a few elites would benefit massively from it and it would help VR big time as a whole because quest is the most popular headset.
You're right about that, fully agree. But it's also important for a different reason, the more headsets with foveated rendering capability, the more games are likely to implement it as a default. I can think of plenty of highly unoptimized VR games / mods that would benefit from it. And I have a 7800x3d + 4090 combo, so I'm not hardware limited for sure. Basically we'd be able to increase the resolution and visual fidelity so much more and it's a win for everyone.

Sakura

99% of people also don't have VR headsets. And the majority of games people are playing with VR (VR Chat, Beat Saber, etc) don't exactly require amazing hardware anyway.
Eye tracking with foveated rendering would be nice, for sure. But it would drive the price up, putting it out of reach of more consumers, and the benefits would be limited more to the AAA VR game space, of which we don't really get many of anyway.
In any case, I'm not disagreeing that having eye tracking would be cool, I am disagreeing with your statement that the Quest 3 is vastly inferior to the PSVR2 simply because it lacks eye tracking.

Top Bottom