• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tonight, I wound up playing four hours of the fastest and best 60 FPS GC racer EVER

Matlock

Banned
...Burnout 2!

As I had a free rental coupon for this month, I figured I might as well. Tossed it in, ran through the crash mode twice with a minimal amount of break time. Out of all the challenges (with 5 added for the GC version), I only failed to get gold on 3...not too shabby if I do say so myself. Of course, it's not the gameplay (dear god, no) that brings you back to the crash mode, it's the fact you can trigger horrible shit on-screen at the touch of a button. :D

Racing, however, is a different animal altogether. It's debatably as fast as XGIII and F-Zero, maybe a little faster. What makes it more intense, though, is the linking. You go through a rush...and if you do it well enough, you get a second rush in the combo. Keep doing it, and you can chain a boost through the entire race.

I just about did it for a lap, awesome stuff.

Graphically, it's friggin' beautiful, only to be outdone by the forthcoming Burnout 3 (god, how I want you)...and stylistically, it's above anything and everything the racing arena has to offer.

'course, there's downsides...Sometimes the slow-mo camera looks a little too long at your destruction...And sometimes it goes through walls to make for some godawful clipping. Another bad thing is the invisible walls that pop up in crash replays (watching cars destruct against invisible barriers is kind of weird) and the inevitable truck-going-through-a-van-and-not-crashing.

Past these glitches, however, Burnout 2 is so solid, so hot, so great...I'm impressed as hell, fellas. If you have some cash to toss down on a game, and you don't have anything on the backlog, give Burnout 2 at least a rental to see how it is.

...then support Burnout 3 next month.

miyuru

I think the crash cam stays on longer depending on how bad your crash was, thus penalising you more. It's sad though because I figured out the AI pretty quick, and you can win every race if you just play it safe the whole time. It's really crappy rubberband AI. I found that when I was building up my boost and then I'd use it a couple times, the AI would catch up considerably fast if I crashed just once. But if I didn't boost at all, they usually wouldn't pass at all.

It's a fun game, but I think it's overrated on GAF, but highly underrated in the market.

DCX

DCX
I love Burnout 2 I have played so much of it, i can't wait for part 3 although i'm scared becuase i don't want a radical change like what Capcom did with Power Stone 2 and Sega with Super Monkey Ball 2.

DCX

Gazunta

Big thanks to Acclaim Australia for bringing about 50 copies (if that) of Burnout 2 GC to this country. You guys ROCK!

Matlock

Banned
Haha, the US didn't fare much better. You can't find a copy of it ANYWHERE...'course, Culdcept's sitting around in piles eight feet deep. :p

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Matlock said:
Haha, the US didn't fare much better. You can't find a copy of it ANYWHERE...'course, Culdcept's sitting around in piles eight feet deep. :p
Burnout 2 has been seeing some restocks lately with the sequal approaching, my store has been getting a few new PS2, GC and even Xbox copies.

Great game, lots of fun, can't wait for BO3, though I may wait till I land an Xbox as the PS2 version makes my eyes bleed.

EDIT: two galring ommissions from BO2 were replay controls and save crashes. I wanted to be able to fast forward race replays to the cool moments and crashes while skipping the fluff, I also wanted crash mode replays to be pausable with camera placement (for instance it would be uber rad to view an entire crash from cockpit view :D).

Not crucial from an enjoyment angle but these additions would have made for a really nice package. The game could have handled it, it cached entire race replays even in Gamecube's limited memory.

aoi tsuki

Warm Machine said:
Has there been any word on BO3 hitting the GC?
Yes, and the word is "no". i'm sorta holding out on the chance that the game does well enough to prompt a slightly-improved GC release later on.

Deku Tree

Matlock said:
...Burnout 2!

it's debatably as fast as XGIII and F-Zero, maybe a little faster.

Really? I'm shocked b/c I've never heard anyone say this before. I've always heard people say F-Zero GX is the fastest racer (by alot). If Burnout 2 is really this fast I'll have to give it a try.

Prospero

One of the best $20 purchases I made this year.

I haven't played F-Zero, but I'd say that Burnout 2 is definitely faster than XGIII.

And the Burnout 2 cop car just rules.

With the extras (skins, crash effects, custom soundtrack, etc.) the XBOX version is the definitive version of BO2. Though, IMO, the GC version's superior to the PS2 one...they're basically the same.

ge-man

FortNinety said:
Which is the best version again? Xbox or GameCube?

The Xbox version is the definitive version. I believe it has even more levels in crash mode, custom soundtracks, customizable decals, and slightly better graphics. The only thing that is possibly better on the GC version is the fact that it supports Logitech's Force Feedback Wheel.

Matlock

Banned
The GC version has the extra crash tracks and the slightly better graphics, but with custom soundtracks....well, if you see 'em all at the same price, get the Xbox version. ;)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Matlock said:
The GC version has the extra crash tracks and the slightly better graphics, but with custom soundtracks....well, if you see 'em all at the same price, get the Xbox version. ;)

The GC version really didn't recieve the same graphical upgrades, though, and it looks pretty much the same as the PS2 release.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yeah, visual updates were only added to the Xbox version. Custom soundtracks too. PS2 version supports force feedback wheel, no clue if GC version supports any kind of whell.

jarrod

Banned
Marconelly said:
Yeah, visual updates were only added to the Xbox version. Custom soundtracks too. PS2 version supports force feedback wheel, no clue if GC version supports any kind of whell.
The GC version supports Logitech's GC wheel.... the XBox version doesn't have any wheel support though.

dark10x

clipunderground said:
Wait, you didn't play FZERO GX?!!!

p.s. Fzero is easily faster then all ther games mentioned.

It doesn't always feel that way due to the fact that it is so disconnected from solid ground. You can rarely even tell when you are going vertical or horizontal...

It is still very fast, of course. :)

ge-man

Burnout is certainly fast, but it isn't faster than playing F-Zero with some of the fastest racers (Fat Shark or Zoda for instance). I think the handling also plays in role in obscuring differences--F-Zero crafts can still be handle well in fast conditions while Burnout's cars definately become harder to control with extreme speeds. This also affects the sense of speed.

Matlock

Banned
Acclaim has unveiled some details on the upcoming Xbox and GameCube versions of Criterion's Burnout 2, both of which will boast a significant number of new features compared with their PlayStation 2 counterpart. The Xbox and GameCube versions of the game will feature 15 more crash junctions, six new locations in the United States (including Miami, Los Angeles, the Rocky Mountains, and an international airport, among others), a number of gameplay tweaks, and a wealth of visual enhancements. The GameCube version will also have support for progressive-scan TVs and Dolby Pro Logic II, while the Xbox version will support HDTVs and Dolby 5.1 audio. In addition, the Xbox version of Burnout 2 will include Xbox Live functionality in the form of ranking boards for track times and high-score tables.

-Gamespot

dark10x

That isn't true, though. Not only have I tested it myself, I have read developer comments on the games. That PR is too open and doesn't actually state what has changed. The XBOX version recieved graphical improvements while the GC version did not. IIRC, the GC version even has 30 fps split screen play...

Shompola

Banned
the xbox version is definitely the one to get. It's the so called directors cut version. It has some extras that the GC and PS2 versions lack. GC and PS2 versions are pretty much identical. Xbox version also has the best custom soundtrack implementation in the console videogame industry to date.

Shompola said:
the xbox version is definitely the one to get. It's the so called directors cut version. It has some extras that the GC and PS2 versions lack. GC and PS2 versions are pretty much identical. Xbox version also has the best custom soundtrack implementation in the console videogame industry to date.

I've played both the Xbox and Gamecube versions. Bear in mind I didn't play on the same setup for the comparision. I found the crashes in the GC one, both in terms of the sound and the visuals, meatier than the Xbox version. Though, the Xbox version had nicer looking models and textures as well as cleaner display at the time of the comparison. This is probably because the extras on the Xbox version but also because the Xbox was using a S-Video cable and the GC was composite. I've later hooked up my GC with pro-scan component and while much cleaner, brighter, and crisper, the Xbox version still has the better looks.

BTW... This game is one of the reasons why 16:9 is the future of gaming.

Matlock

Banned
Let me repeat this: the GC and Xbox versions, except for custom soundtracks (and apparently custom decals) are the same...feature-wise.

The Xbox has some extra bump-mapping on the road, and some upped textures here and there. The GC version has cleaner visuals than the PS2 version and runs a completely clean 60FPS (PS2 comes close, but falters every once in a while).

Fuck.... the only good mom and pop gaming store, Game Express, in NYC just shut down a few weeks ago. They had both GC and Xbox version for $20.

dark10x

Matlock said:
Let me repeat this: the GC and Xbox versions, except for custom soundtracks (and apparently custom decals) are the same...feature-wise.

The Xbox has some extra bump-mapping on the road, and some upped textures here and there. The GC version has cleaner visuals than the PS2 version and runs a completely clean 60FPS (PS2 comes close, but falters every once in a while).

They are NOT the same, though. The GC version is the same as the PS2 vesrion...feature-wise. The XBOX version has higher poly car models, better reflections, and other little tweaks. All three versions run in 16:9 480p. If the GC version is any cleaner, it is only a very slight improvement. The GC and PS2 versions are basically the same game (with SLIGHT additions made to the GC release) while the XBOX version has the most new content.

Matlock

Banned
dark10x said:
They are NOT the same, though. The GC version is the same as the PS2 vesrion...feature-wise. The XBOX version has higher poly car models, better reflections, and other little tweaks. All three versions run in 16:9 480p. If the GC version is any cleaner, it is only a very slight improvement. The GC and PS2 versions are basically the same game (with SLIGHT additions made to the GC release) while the XBOX version has the most new content.

You're counting graphical tweaks as features. :p Explain the extra crash tracks in the GC version as being "exactly the same as the PS2 version."

(with additions made to the GC release)

Link316

Banned
FortNinety said:
Fuck.... the only good mom and pop gaming store, Game Express, in NYC just shut down a few weeks ago. They had both GC and Xbox version for $20.

yeah I was surprised to see the store closed, my friend said that the store they had at 82nd St in Queens was also gone :(

tenchir

I thought it would be about F-Zero. You are wrong about Burnout2 being as fast or a little bit faster than F-Zero, it's not even debatable. I have both game and F-Zero is a lot faster.

dark10x said:

You are wrong. The GC version has the same extra crash mode levels as the Xbox version. I played and beat both. Which means

GC >>>>>PS2 :)

dark10x

clipunderground said:
You are wrong. The GC version has the same extra crash mode levels as the Xbox version. I played and beat both. Which means

GC >>>>>PS2 :)

I did some checking, and you are right. The only addition made to the GC version seems to be a few more crash levels. So, they are almost the same...with the GC version coming out on top but the XBOX version standing well above both of them.

dark10x said:
I did some checking, and you are right. The only addition made to the GC version seems to be a few more crash levels. So, they are almost the same...with the GC version coming out on top but the XBOX version standing well above both of them.

Crash mode is arguably the best feature of the game. Having 15 extra made a huge difference to me. ;) but yeah, the Xbox version is indeed the best still. No arguments there.

Prospero

FortNinety said:

SHIIIIIIIIIIIT.

(What'd they do with all their leftover stock?)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
but yeah, the Xbox version is indeed the best still. No arguments there.
I guess the only argument is if you want to use the FF wheel, which you only get with PS2 and GC version. I didn't even know until now that Xbox version doesn't have a wheel support.

The GC version has cleaner visuals than the PS2 version and runs a completely clean 60FPS (PS2 comes close, but falters every once in a while)
Actually, I have never seen the PS2 version drop a frame in BO2, and I didn't see any difference in the 'cleansines' of visuals. Both versions support progressive scan and look really identical.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
dark10x said:
It doesn't always feel that way due to the fact that it is so disconnected from solid ground. You can rarely even tell when you are going vertical or horizontal...

It is still very fast, of course. :)

Hmm, watching vids from IGN confirmed this, though I have yet to actually play the game. Do you think the width of the tracks is also a factor?

Top Bottom