• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk rates all soundtracks from the namesake videogame franchise

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Substantial interview at Vice.com. Tony Hawk offers his ranking on all 15 soundtracks from the Tony Hawk videogame series.

1. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (1999)
2. Tony Hawk's American Wasteland (2000)
3. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 (2002)

Some choice quotes:

Tony Hawk's Underground 2 (2004)
To me, that was just such an expansive game and expansive soundtrack. It also feels like you kind of shared that game with Bam Margera, too. Did he have any input in the soundtrack? And on that note, did any of the skaters in the game have input?
Um, yeah, I can’t remember any specific examples. For sure, cKy is in there because of Bam. That for sure happened. I don’t remember if HIM is in there or not, but if they were, it was because of Bam.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (1999)
[W]e have the first soundtrack. When you were approached to make this game, what was the first discussion about the music that you were involved in?
Whatever was connected to skating and my history of skating was my first go-to. Like, Dead Kennedys and Primus, those were top of the heap. It’s funny, because I threw out Dead Kennedys thinking there’s no way we could ever use a Dead Kennedys song because of the lyrics. And when they came back and said, “Oh, yeah, we can use ‘Police Truck.’” I was like, “Did you guys listen to ‘Police Truck?’ Do you know what they’re singing about?”
It was censored, though, wasn’t it?
They censored it, but I just never imagined it could be censored.

Tony Hawk's Proving Ground (2007)
This was the last one with Neversoft. Did you know this was going to be the last time working with them?
No, actually, they started to work on a new game. We started doing the early stages of a new game after that one, and that was when they decided they were going to put their resources into Call of Duty.
Did that affect the budget for the soundtrack at all? Because this was still a pretty big one.
No, that was still the gravy days. That was definitely when we were still doing well. That was right around when Skate got released. So, I think that was their main decision was to—once Skate got released, that sort of split the market for us, including the sales. And that’s when they couldn’t rely on the big numbers anymore.

Pretty cool stuff.

And since it goes with the theme of the thread, post somma yer favorite tunes from the franchise, if you wish

CatCouch

I loved the soundtracks to Tony Hawk games, those were my childhood! They led me to some great bands. cKy Volume 1 is one of the greatest albums I've ever listened to.

brap

Banned
Pretty much every Tony Hawk game had a good soundtrack. Really surprised they put a Frank Sinatra song in THUG2 tbh.
Probably listened to this one hundreds of times because it was one of the few in the DS game I really liked0

Last edited:
Top Bottom