• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk Ride -- Official Thread

Robot 492

Banned
Arpeggio said:
If this game was $59.99 including the skateboard peripheral, would you buy it?
No. I wouldn't buy it for half that price. The game looks like complete shit. There are so many obvious problems with the game, I wouldn't even know where to begin.

The price is only a small part of the problem. The biggest problem is the slow response time for your inputs. And sometimes your inputs don't even register going by some videos.

I want to be in the underwear gang.

skate3.jpg

Edit: Oops that was from Skate 3, well I feel like it still sort of applies

I think Ride looks pretty terrible, will be laughably expensive and expect it to bomb but this thread is in poor taste. We've gone from trolling the game to having posters mocking the people involved with the company making it based on their appearance. Just like the Gabe am fat jokes! Stay classy.

Robot 492

Banned
BobFromPikeCreek said:
I heard Project 8 was decent. Any truth to that?
I enjoyed all of the TH games up to Project 8. It was a decent game, but nowhere near as good as previous titles.

edit: It's been so long since I've played the game though. I'll have to look up some videos to see if I'm even remembering correctly.

You know, I saw that GIF a couple of times, and both times, scrolled down without paying much attention to it and wondering "why people post a gif of someone interviewing a hobo?" and now I know the truth....so that's how you look when Activision sucks the best of you?.

And this games looks like and absolute disaster, it makes you wonder if it's really from the same developer that bring THPS3.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
I Push Fat Kids said:
Well no doubt, it's just this thread is more or less making a mockery of the product before any of them have had a chance to play it (or most of them). Making a legit thread would at least show some respect, after that, do what you want. Haters gonna' hate regardless, I just think making an official thread to trash a game before its release is in poor taste, that's all.
I don't know what you expect exactly. This is an internet forum. People make fun of shit all the time. Previews weren't glowing, to say the least. Everybody hates Activision and is still upset what Tony Hawk's series became.
Of course the developers should be proud that they brought the title to completion, and I hope they will continue to do stuff and not go under because of this title.
But since a few years, this is mass-market to such a degree that mockery isn't unexpected at all.

It's like with the movies. If there's a Star Wars VII on the horizon and it looks like a Toy Story knock-off, you don't expect respect from anyone. So there you go.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Neuromancer said:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/franchise-evolution-tony-hawks/23501

Best quotes:

"Basically, what we do here is we make video games..."

and

"Guess what, that's fuuuucking fun, man!"

and

"This is our 9th Tony Hawk game... In 9 years... And uh, so the game has clearly stood the test of time"

:lol :lol :lol

Oh my God. You're telling me the same guys from the beginning are still there now? How do they not KNOW what has happened to this series?

"We think people see the brand name and know it means quality."

Has he read the reviews for like the past 3 games?

GameGamer

I Push Fat Kids said:
Well no doubt, it's just this thread is more or less making a mockery of the product before any of them have had a chance to play it (or most of them). Making a legit thread would at least show some respect, after that, do what you want. Haters gonna' hate regardless, I just think making an official thread to trash a game before its release is in poor taste, that's all.

I agree.

The last Hawk game I thought was great was 2x. Downhill ever since IMO.

But an official thread OP should not be this biased.

I think Halo is terrible. Could I make the official thread for the next Halo that mocks and insults it in the OP? That would be fun.

nexen

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Damn, really? Someone told me it stripped away the nonsense that came with the Underground series and was just straight up skating like the first 4 games.

I liked Project 8 personally. It did feel exactly like that to me - a step back towards the roots. Not far enough, imho, but it was much better than THUG and AW.

Also: I hope Ride turns out well but I'm not touching it with a 10' pole until I can try it out for myself.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Damn, really? Someone told me it stripped away the nonsense that came with the Underground series and was just straight up skating like the first 4 games.
It's better than THUG2 and THAW, but it's still incredibly janky. For one, it's ugly as sin and runs like shit (the game pretty much maxes out at 20 frames per second). For two, the game is a lot harder to play because the camera is pulled pretty close in so your skater is a lot larger on the screen, but the game still runs at typical Tony Hawk speed so it becomes really hard to judge certain jumps or how much time you have in the air on a half-pipe; plus it makes the still crappy on-foot controls even more cumbersome. For three, the difficulty is really out of whack, so while AM challenges are pretty easy and Pro challenges can be a bit tricky, you have to be a fucking god to pull off most of the Sick challenges. The game was pretty great when it came out and is certainly a hell of a lot better than American Wasteland in theory, but you just can't go back. The technical problems with that game are just way too rough.

Proving Ground might be better; I've stayed far away from it.

HOW DARE YOU MAKE A FAKE* OFFICIAL THREAD

*one not planned out 4 years in advance with 500MB of data

MODS, CAN WE GET A BAN ON DIS HERE CHUCKELFUCK

I get the feeling that a lot of people are using this product to take out their ATVI rage for other things. They are mad at the $59.99 PC version of MW2 with no dedicated servers . . . but they can't resist buying MW2. They are annoyed by the driving of Guitar hero in the ground. But they know they contributed to that downfall. They are annoyed by the $120 price tag of DJ Hero . . . but bought it away. ATVI has put out lame Bond games. Annoyed at $59.99 price for Band Hero on the Wii.

But this Tony hawk game . . . fire away. Skate stole the Tony Hawk Thunder and there hasn't been a big Tony Hawk hit for years.

whitehawk

Banned
BobFromPikeCreek said:
Don't listen to them, it wasn't that bad. It's probably $5 now, and it's worth it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I remember the Funky Homosapien track in THPS3. was awesome

edit: I am not mad at Activision. I am not mad at Neversoft. I am not mad at Tony Hawk. I'm simply upset that a game company could throw away a series with the kind of hardcore and casual gamer cachet this series had because they simply didn't know what to do with it.

You can't look at videos of people playing this game and defend it. It's a shame. This game was created most likely with the encouragement of the suits in marketing who wanted to sell a shitty peripheral, and now it lives and dies by (what we see as) the incredibly unresponsive system.

I wish no ill will on the developer. I hope they get another game to develop.

speculawyer said:
I get the feeling that a lot of people are using this product to take out their ATVI rage for other things. They are mad at the $59.99 PC version of MW2 with no dedicated servers . . . but they can't resist buying MW2. They are annoyed by the driving of Guitar hero in the ground. But they know they contributed to that downfall. They are annoyed by the $120 price tag of DJ Hero . . . but bought it away. ATVI has put out lame Bond games. Annoyed at $59.99 price for Band Hero on the Wii.

I'm not on that ship. I was actually looking forward to this TH since Skate 2 disappointed me. And with them taking two years to develop it, a first since the series started, I thought that they could come up with something pretty awesome. Especially after the rumors hit that they were going to take it in a realistic direction. Turns out that not only did they not take it in a realistic direction, but they took it in what appears to be a worse direction than the previous disasters.

At this point I don't have much faith in new TH games. All I really want from Activision now is for them to just do a HD rebuild of THPS2 and release it on PSN and Live.

Y2Kev said:
You can't look at videos of people playing this game and defend it. It's a shame. This game was created most likely with the encouragement of the suits in marketing who wanted to sell a shitty peripheral, and now it lives and dies by (what we see as) the incredibly unresponsive system.
Yeah, ATVI has gone plastic crazy . . . GH5 with another guitar. DJ Hero with a plastic turntable. Band Hero to sell plastic instruments to young kids. Modern Warfare with cheesy plastic 'night vision goggles'. And now Tony Hawk with a plastic board.

I hate that you guys are talking so much shit about this game before it even comes out. When it comes out, and is totally awesome I will laugh at you all. You sad, sad, individuals. Oh how I'll lau:lol :lol :lol ...ok, I can't do it. I tried. I gave it a solid effort, but I can't even jokingly defend this game.

whitehawk

Banned
Keyser Soze said:
"It's a fucking snowboard" - that's what my friend said when I informed him about this game.

...I laughed.
Wow, that's actually brilliant. Once this game hits the bargain bin, I will be buying it for a little snowboard/tobaggon :D

Aaron

Keyser Soze said:
"It's a fucking snowboard" - that's what my friend said when I informed him about this game.

...I laughed.
Using it is actually like riding a snowboard for kids or something. So there's another use for it when the game fails.

Tamanon

Banned
Jeff Gerstmann on the Bombcast revealed that Tony Hawk Ride isn't even shipping for review, they're only allowing reviewers to play on Saturday from noon-three for day one reviewing.

Always a good sign!

Piano

Banned
Tamanon said:
Jeff Gerstmann on the Bombcast revealed that Tony Hawk Ride isn't even shipping for review, they're only allowing reviewers to play on Saturday from noon-three for day one reviewing.

Always a good sign!

So IGN will probably have a day one review?

SmokyDave

BobFromPikeCreek said:

I really enjoyed Project 8. THPS2x was my favourite by far and after THPS4 I didn't touch the franchise until Project 8. I found it spiritually very similar to the early games and I thoroughly enjoyed it. At the price it'll be available at nowadays I'd say you can't go wrong.

Aaron

Tamanon said:

Always a good sign!
At least we know the game takes at most three hours to complete now.

Project 8 would have been solid if it hadn't run at 20FPS. 100x better than Proving Grounds.

Top Bottom