• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 is a glitchy mess

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Well I wonder about that. While the multiplayer in Tony Hawk's HD was only 4 players on consoles, it featured some of the same modes already (and others like Graffiti which apparently isn't in THPS5) so it's debatable how much time it actually took to adjust it for THPS5.

Probably still long, but some people are putting it like Tony Hawk's HD didn't have multiplayer at all so that's where all their effort went. But no MP is only true for the PC version.

I only played the PC version so that is actually what I had thought. Thanks for clarifying.

Tony hawks pro skater died the day the original skate came out... Skate should be considered the standard for all skateboarding games. I remember tony hawk looking better on a gamecube

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Tony hawks pro skater died the day the original skate came out... Skate should be considered the standard for all skateboarding games. I remember tony hawk looking better on a gamecube

Nah, they're completely different. It's possible to enjoy both series.

Valkrai

No, it's good to have both series. Project 8 and Proving Ground were pretty good too. These games can be great again if you have a capable developer that knows the series.

Risette

A Good Citizen
skate is boring to me. It's more of a regular sports game and is just completely uninteresting compared to the arcadey TH series for me. two totally different things.

I made it to the final level with only one crash. Then, after I'd gotten to 11 stars and decided to try making a skate park for a bit, I had another crash and my save got corrupted.

Fucking game.

I guess I can say I beat it, though?

bronk

Banned
I made it to the final level with only one crash. Then, after I'd gotten to 11 stars and decided to try making a skate park for a bit, I had another crash and my save got corrupted.

Fucking game.

I guess I can say I beat it, though?
You definately beat it. Dont put yourself through that again. You make it obvious how bad it was.

A hardcore THPS fan on Reddit wrote this great critique that looks past the bugs and attacks all the failed mechanics and missing elements that should have been essential to the game.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/3n96jx/bugs_glitches_are_not_the_problem_an_experienced/

I haven't played it yet, but going through all the core gameplay changes is staggering. Did anyone at Robomobo grow up playing these games?

I like this. He nails everything. I think this is a combination of a rushed product (less than a year? 6 months maybe?) in order to squeeze some money out of the series before the contract expires and a developer that just doesn't get it.

Stevey

mrboo001

Banned

That is like saying Mario Kart died the day Gran Turismo came out. Hawk is arcade-y and Skate was more sim based. Both can, and did, stand on there own in the same market.

entremet

I have a friend that bought both versions--XB1, PS4.

LOLZ.

He couldn't resist the nostalgia and he heard about the reviews.

Dueck

Banned
The worst part is that this game was a self fulfilling prophecy. The traditional stuff got stale for people, so Activision made Ride and Shred, which were worse. Skateboarding isn't experiencing the big boom it once did during these games' prime combining with dwindling returns meant that Activision didn't want to invest the necessary resources and the THPS5 was doomed before the name "Robomodo" even came up again.

The interest in the brand was definitely back, based on all the talk, but they thought "playing it safe" meant hiring an abysmal developer and giving them no time or resources. Putting out a quality product would've cost more but given them steady sales, rather than trick a few people during launch week and that's it.

Activision is horrible for cash-grabbing and ruining franchises. They did the same thing with Transformers by killing Rise of the Dark Spark when they bookended another Cybertron game with cheesy movie content and the whole thing was a disjointed, outdated mess.

Elija2

A hardcore THPS fan on Reddit wrote this great critique that looks past the bugs and attacks all the failed mechanics and missing elements that should have been essential to the game.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/3n96jx/bugs_glitches_are_not_the_problem_an_experienced/

I haven't played it yet, but going through all the core gameplay changes is staggering. Did anyone at Robomobo grow up playing these games?

They've removed the ability to bail while manualing or grinding. You just land. There's no risk

Wait, you can't bail while grinding or manualing at all? Are they absolutely positive about that? Because in the old games you could grind on a halfpipe or do a manual and lose your balance in one direction without bailing (you would instead just fall into the halfpipe or land your manual). Maybe that's what's happening to them? If not, that is such a crazy design decision.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Wait, you can't bail while grinding or manualing at all? Are they absolutely positive about that? Because in the old games you could grind on a halfpipe or do a manual and lose your balance in one direction without bailing (you would instead just fall into the halfpipe or land your manual). Maybe that's what's happening to them? If not, that is such a crazy design decision.

In the prerelease videos that was the first thing I noticed, players can fall off a rail or a ledge from messing up the grind meter and they always land safely.

Dunkley

Was watching the IGN review when I noticed this

vLgAwPP.gif

The hell is going on down there.

Bob White

Spinning is now limited to auto-180 degree spins, which makes it hard to perform longer/precise spins.

Just like everyone else, I find the glitches in the game to both sad and funny. But THIS shit?! This is fucking blasphemy.

antitrop

I'm curious about others' thoughts.

Would you say I'd beaten it if I made it to the last stage and had 11 stars?

Yes, you're good.

I wasn't able to beat Dark Souls, because I ran into a glitch where my character would perpetually fall through the world and die at the last bonfire before the final boss. So I just say I beat it, because fuck going through a 60 hour game again just to beat it, lol.

Elija2

Many of the changes they made make it sound like they were trying to make the game casual-friendly. You don't bail from grinds and manuals, you can't control air turning with the thumbstick and D-Pad, you auto-manual after a revert, you auto-ollie out of quarterpipes, and you control your speed with the triggers. These aren't features that can be explained to come from ignorance or time constraints, these are deliberate design decisions that they made for no reason other than to make the game easier. So much for making the game play like the classics (which were in no way too hard or beginner-unfriendly).

gossi

Many of the changes they made make it sound like they were trying to make the game casual-friendly. You don't bail from grinds and manuals, you can't control air turning with the thumbstick and D-Pad, you auto-manual after a revert, you auto-ollie out of quarterpipes, and you control your speed with the triggers. These aren't features that can be explained to come from ignorance or time constraints, these are deliberate design decisions that they made for no reason other than to make the game easier. So much for making the game play like the classics (which were in no way too hard or beginner-unfriendly).

In fairness - they didn't have the same game engine as before, so everything was a change.

Yeah, those changes were weird and unnecessary. I noticed I couldn't bail off of a grind and was wondering why.

They did this, yet made some rather crazy time limits for missions.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Yes, you're good.

I wasn't able to beat Dark Souls, because I ran into a glitch where my character would perpetually fall through the world and die at the last bonfire before the final boss. So I just say I beat it, because fuck going through a 60 hour game again just to beat it, lol.

A second playthrough wouldn't even come close to 60 hours now that you know what to do and have the skill to beat the enemies/bosses up to that point.

You really should give it another go. Strange glitch, btw. Don't think I've heard of that happening to anyone else.

Damn it, I wish this wasn't a cash in. We'll probably won't have a good skateboarding game for a while. Thing is, I want this arcade style of skating. I want underground 3. I want cool crazy stuff like playing as ben franklin. Put obama in there, that'd be hilarious, with the objective being to destroy trump tower.

I wanted a new skating game to be good so bad.

But I think the genre is just dead now, nobody seems to care enough to put out a decent game, maybe Tony can license the franchise to someone like 2K but I doubt it.

Am I crazy or does THPS HD actually look better?

5 has a few things going for it but over all I think levels in HD are more detailed looking

Top Bottom