• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 |OT| free with selected cereal boxes

So does anyone else thing the PRO Missions are hard as hell? I'm a pretty competent player and have gotten the Sick rating on almost all of the missions but I have yet to beat one Pro Mission.

I used to be great at Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, and can still beat the original in two hours or less while getting everything. I was able to get some pretty good combos in three and four, as well.

But this one's tougher. The controls aren't as tight and I don't feel as in control. The time limits for some of the missions are pretty nuts, too, so I'm finding it harder than the other games in the series.

Dueck

Banned
It hadn't uploaded yet, so no.

Ouch! Thanks to your warning I'll make sure I do that after I'm done anything brutal.

I only got the game because I received a $40 gift card and have a 10-day satisfaction guarantee. At worst it's a free rental and I get a different game and at best I somehow love it.

So I know no one is playing this, with good reason, but I just felt compelled to point out something strange that I think further proves the rushed development. I've played a bit (mostly out of a sense of curiosity) and noticed that while there are 8 levels, it really seems like the eighth level (Mountain) was added extremely late because from what I can tell:

1. There are trophies/achievements for unlocking levels 2-7, but not one for unlocking 8 (Mountain)
2. There are trophies/achievements for getting sick scores on all missions in level 1-7, but not level 8 (Mountain).

This is super strange to me, and leads me to believe that they may have just put that Mountain level in at the last second and not even had time/bothered to update trophies/achievements. On top of that Asteroid Belt seems like the kind of level that would end a game (and the horrific framerate in that level is certainly a perfect capper), and then from there you go to a more pedestrian Mountain stage, which seems off. Just a weird note on a very weird game.

Plankfan

Silly question here...

I'm trying to unlock School III and need fifteen mission stars. Is there a way to replay the missions in the previous level? I can't seem to find a way to get back into them after getting a star rating.

FrsDvl

I'm having some fun with this, its by no means good, but its fun enough for a while.

Anyone know how to unlock characters? Or did no one bother to play for that long.

While Activision has been busy "working on" "fixing" the PS4/XB1 versions of the game, this has led to the PS3/360 versions of the game being delayed into 2016.

The PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 have been delayed, Activision has confirmed to Eurogamer.

The publisher has yet to say when the last-gen versions will be released, but Eurogamer understands they won't make 2015. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 had been due out on PS3 and Xbox 360 on 13th November.

Activision is currently working to repair the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions, which launched to a critical mauling earlier this month.

Here's Activision's statement:

We are working closely with our developers to address the issues identified by our community. Our development resources are fully focused on fixes and content updates for PS4 and Xbox One, so we have decided to delay the release of THPS5 on PS3 and X360. We will update the community when we have more specific information about a release date for PS3 and Xbox 360.

Translation: Our statement that the PS3/360 versions of the game have been cancelled has been delayed into 2016.

Bumping this topic as it's now been roughly three weeks after Activision originally said they've been working on a patch for the current-gen versions and the previous-gen versions were delayed out of 2015.

To THPS5 owners who haven't chucked the game to the wayside already or succeeded in getting a refund, did we ever get that followup concerning the patches?

SFenton

So I bought this game post patch because I heard it eliminated most of the glitchiness. And, to be fair, it did! And I'm having a pretty good time with the title (actually, I'm enjoying it more than Black Ops 3!). It's a good throwback to THPS3/4, even if the skating feels just a tad looser. Framerate seems pretty solid in the in-game levels, a bit more (okay... more than I'd like) variable in the user created levels. Some of the challenges are pretty damn difficult (not even the Pro challenges, which are goddamn infuriating- need to stat up Hawkman some more). Level design is sufficient, I guess.

Overall, I actually like the game. :) Wish it had splitscreen and some of the loading is a little annoying but I think post-patch it's far from a dumpster fire, even enjoyable. (And I hated THPSHD.)

360 version stealth launched this morning on the Xbox marketplace! (UK here)

It's £24.99, I'm almost tempted...could the last gen version be even worse?

antitrop

This game cant be fixed.
The worst levels to ever grace a Tony Hawk game cannot be merely patched.

It's not a decent game that was just a little buggy at launch or anything, it's a piece of shit game. A top to bottom disaster that sits (un)comfortably as one of the 10 worst games I've ever played, certainly the very worst game I've played in the last five years.

It was worth the $5 at Redbox to just to see how bad it really was, like rubbernecking a car crash.

I went into it knowing it was going to be a technical disaster, but what really surprised me was how the level design goes from the first level or two being kind of okay to the levels towards the end of the game just being about the worst they possibly could have come up with. I never expected them to be that bad.

Who would think a level that takes place entirely on the rooftops with fucking awful gap, pipe, and rail placement would be a good idea? Apparently Robomodo thought it would be a fine idea. I couldn't get a decent combo going on that level to save my life. Absolute unsalvageable disaster.

It made THPSHD look like a masterpiece, because at least those levels were the Neversoft ones that Robomodo couldn't fuck up.

wipeout364

The worst levels to ever grace a Tony Hawk game cannot be merely patched.

It's not a decent game that was just a little buggy at launch or anything, it's a piece of shit game. A top to bottom disaster that sits (un)comfortably as one of the 10 worst games I've ever played, certainly the very worst game I've played in the last five years.

It was worth the $5 at Redbox to just to see how bad it really was, like rubbernecking a car crash.

I went into it knowing it was going to be a technical disaster, but what really surprised me was how the level design goes from the first level or two being kind of okay to the levels towards the end of the game just being about the worst they possibly could have come up with. I never expected them to be that bad.

Who would think a level that takes place entirely on the rooftops with fucking awful gap, pipe, and rail placement would be a good idea? Apparently Robomodo thought it would be a fine idea. I couldn't get a decent combo going on that level to save my life. Absolute unsalvageable disaster.

It made THPSHD look like a masterpiece, because at least those levels were the Neversoft ones that Robomodo couldn't fuck up.

So are you trying to say buy with caution? Or just trying to keep expectations low?
This is on sale this week in Canada for 32 dollars (10 dollars American) is it worth it? Have they released the fun patch yet?

antitrop

So are you trying to say buy with caution? Or just trying to keep expectations low?
This is on sale this week in Canada for 32 dollars (10 dollars American) is it worth it? Have they released the fun patch yet?
It's not worth your time, outside of morbid curiosity.

The good Tony Hawk games still run great on PC emulators, like PCSX2.

Top Bottom