• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Took a dive into Video Editing today

I’ve casually had a YouTube channel for years that is mostly just to host whatever sorts of things gaming wise I wanted to share with friends etc. I very casually made a family vacation video once of NY to the Jay Z NY state of mind music video and it was alright but it was mostly pics.

I have to do a video for Corp Leadership and this presented me an opportunity to learn something newish.

I decided to sit down and get a little more in depth with it using that Video Pro X 11 software that is up on Humble Bundle. Turns out it’s pretty intuitive and I was able to slap together some videos. I dug into my COD MW clips just to fill it with something since I’m not doing this with any other purpose but to learn until I get what I need from work. Obviously these aren’t going on YouTube with Music I have no rights to but it’s way more fun to see people eating it on COD to music.

Outside of the hectic cuts, weird audio levels at times (side effect of Shadow Play af times), let me know what you all think and any ideas you would recommend me learning to do with the software next

The music is going to be very subjective, especially the Folk Metal lol. I just discovered that last week, don’t judge.

I created this edit

Just two weeks ago, before that I made these (you can see the improvement with each edit)

And before that my first real edit with memes!

Very nice! So question, which software are you using? I was trying to figure out how to slow down just a certain part of a clip very much in the same way your first video is doing it. I didn’t put too much time into looking for it but all I found was to lower the speed of the whole clip.

but pretty much what you did is what I’m going for, I like some of the timing to the music also.

cormack12

Gold Member
Ditch the slow fade transitions, cleana nd snappy is much better for frag videos
Delete the song
Read about syncing song over video, I think you've just overlayed a fave music track whereas the better videos have ups and downs that rise and fall with the action on the screen

When I was messing round, this is one I made for the order, and by far the biggest issue was lining up scene with the music, that's when I realised ho nuch time was spent on these (like the scene change at 1:55ish) or getting down from the bus at 1:40ish. Then again with the soft moment cut at 3mins

I'm not an expert by any means or professional but I think that stuck out for me

Ditch the slow fade transitions, cleana nd snappy is much better for frag videos
Delete the song
Read about syncing song over video, I think you've just overlayed a fave music track whereas the better videos have ups and downs that rise and fall with the action on the screen

When I was messing round, this is one I made for the order, and by far the biggest issue was lining up scene with the music, that's when I realised ho nuch time was spent on these (like the scene change at 1:55ish) or getting down from the bus at 1:40ish. Then again with the soft moment cut at 3mins

I'm not an expert by any means or professional but I think that stuck out for me

Yeah I was up in the air on the crossfades and transitions. I had more variety in the one with the Metallica song but I didn’t feel most of them fit so I stuck with basic fades on the second one. You’re right tho, in a way it let me get away without clipping down to the exact moment and the fade kinda covered it up I guess.

And yeah the song was just because I had them and figured why not.

And I love the Order so I dug your video. The music fits with the theme for sure.

cormack12

Gold Member
Yeah I was up in the air on the crossfades and transitions. I had more variety in the one with the Metallica song but I didn’t feel most of them fit so I stuck with basic fades on the second one. You’re right tho, in a way it let me get away without clipping down to the exact moment and the fade kinda covered it up I guess.

And yeah the song was just because I had them and figured why not.

And I love the Order so I dug your video. The music fits with the theme for sure.

(y)

Stuff like this is like playing an instrument, you only get beter by doing it. I just ain't got the time for that though I'd love to do game content. No patience etc. lol. Thing is the learning curve is quite shallow for awesome results. So you get to actually see things get better on a week by week basis. Hard thign is sticking with it. I didn't.

MMaRsu

Banned
Very nice! So question, which software are you using? I was trying to figure out how to slow down just a certain part of a clip very much in the same way your first video is doing it. I didn’t put too much time into looking for it but all I found was to lower the speed of the whole clip.

but pretty much what you did is what I’m going for, I like some of the timing to the music also.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I only just started like two months or so ago, maybe a bit longer.

I started with Adobe Premiere but its not good enough to do what I wanted to do with it.. I made those first two montages with Premiere.

I then switched to After Effects after I found out you should use that to sync clips to the beats. Look on Youtube for time warping velocity tutorials, they really helped me.

I qm already working on a new montage, and in hindsight even the 6 hour drive one seems.. simple 😅

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I only just started like two months or so ago, maybe a bit longer.

I started with Adobe Premiere but its not good enough to do what I wanted to do with it.. I made those first two montages with Premiere.

I then switched to After Effects after I found out you should use that to sync clips to the beats. Look on Youtube for time warping velocity tutorials, they really helped me.

I qm already working on a new montage, and in hindsight even the 6 hour drive one seems.. simple 😅

I need to see if I can do that with the two pieces of software I am using. I'm gonna load up the current project files and see if I can get some effects added to it. I had a Premiere sub two years ago but it was too expensive considering I was never using it. If I keep going with this ill have to get it again.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

please don't tell me you're using after effects only to make videos. you can create the video in after effects and import it into premiere -- it is a lot easier to assemble video in premiere than after effects.

please don't tell me you're using after effects only to make videos. you can create the video in after effects and import it into premiere -- it is a lot easier to assemble video in premiere than after effects.

Is it Premiere > After Effects? Or opposite?

So in the Software I am using it seems it's Video Pro X 11 > Movie Studio for effects, could be wrong tho.

davepoobond

So in the Software I am using it seems it's Video Pro X 11 > Movie Studio for effects, could be wrong tho.

i don't know the other programs, but basically you use Premiere to assemble the video / do light effect work in it. If you are doing crazy stuff you can "create" or modify the video in After Effects, then re-import and/or replace items in the premiere timeline.

It just depends on your project and work flow, but your final product should be assembled in Premiere. After Effects is a "support" program, similar to what photoshop would be for video work.

Reactions: 888

MMaRsu

Banned

What exactly do you mean? I used to basically only use premiere.. now Im putting effects, custom transitions and time warp syncing in AE, you cant really do that much in Premiere..

After Im done with all that I might export to Premiere for the finishing touches such as the intro etc..

But for now its working as a charm.

I timewarp sync the music to the music in AE then delete the song and export it without that so I just have the gamesound. Then I use Premiere to finetune audio and the intro, then put the song back in Premiere and export the video from there (for my newest edit anyway)

Last edited:

davepoobond

What exactly do you mean? I used to basically only use premiere.. now Im putting effects, custom transitions and time warp syncing in AE, you cant really do that much in Premiere..

After Im done with all that I might export to Premiere for the finishing touches such as the intro etc..

But for now its working as a charm.

yes, if you are doing all of that stuff, sure, use After Effects. But your final product shouldn't be getting spit out of After Effects if you're making something with multiple scenes/videos/elements.

MMaRsu

Banned
I need to see if I can do that with the two pieces of software I am using. I'm gonna load up the current project files and see if I can get some effects added to it. I had a Premiere sub two years ago but it was too expensive considering I was never using it. If I keep going with this ill have to get it again.

Honestly just dl it man

keraj37

Okay so AE is not video editing soft in its core, premiere is.

AE is compositing tool but in its nature can serve as editing tool, but it is not the goal.

J-Roderton

Is having only a Chromebook even viable for doing some light editing? I post gameplays on my channel for fun but I need a way to just make a couple cuts here and there, maybe some text.

Anyone have any recommendations? I’m quite new to video editing as well.

davepoobond

Is having only a Chromebook even viable for doing some light editing? I post gameplays on my channel for fun but I need a way to just make a couple cuts here and there, maybe some text.

Anyone have any recommendations? I’m quite new to video editing as well.

what programs do you have access to?

it likely is fine but you're not going to get a great experience.

davepoobond

None at the moment. What’s good to try? Anything on the android store?

well, there's Premiere Rush and that's free i believe. i have no experience with it, but it can't possibly be worse than anything else out there.

i messed around with it on my iphone a bit. its pretty competent, i'd say, has a lot of the features i'd consider important for a good editing platform. not sure I can deal with it on a small screen, though. ipad might be less cumbersome. just have to get used to it, i think.

Last edited:

J-Roderton

well, there's Premiere Rush and that's free i believe. i have no experience with it, but it can't possibly be worse than anything else out there.

i messed around with it on my iphone a bit. its pretty competent, i'd say, has a lot of the features i'd consider important for a good editing platform. not sure I can deal with it on a small screen, though. ipad might be less cumbersome. just have to get used to it, i think.

Cool. I’ll check that out. I’m really only after some basic stuff so it may just work. Thanks

Last edited:

Mistake

I use PicsArt on my phone for simple photo edits, or Gimp, photopea (online) on my PC. I recently started using Reaper for editing music, and it’s very easy for simple stuff so far. I need to learn more functions to make remixes like I want, but I’ve been having a lot of fun with it

MMaRsu

Banned

yes, if you are doing all of that stuff, sure, use After Effects. But your final product shouldn't be getting spit out of After Effects if you're making something with multiple scenes/videos/elements.

Okay well I just finished my new artpiece haha

I first recorded the matches, then used premiere to cut some sweet clips out of that footage. I then imported the clips in After Effects and got to work. Put effects into it and used the 3d camera tracked text at the beginning.

I also synced the clips to the song as much as I could, using the time warp function. Then I deleted the song and exported the video to Premiere as a whole video, then deleted and lowered some ingame audio and added the outro.

Could still be a lot better but this one is imo still better than my last one.

davepoobond

Okay well I just finished my new artpiece haha

I first recorded the matches, then used premiere to cut some sweet clips out of that footage. I then imported the clips in After Effects and got to work. Put effects into it and used the 3d camera tracked text at the beginning.

I also synced the clips to the song as much as I could, using the time warp function. Then I deleted the song and exported the video to Premiere as a whole video, then deleted and lowered some ingame audio and added the outro.

Could still be a lot better but this one is imo still better than my last one.

its pretty cool -- my only advice is "less is more." You have a ton of cool effects, but i can hardly tell what's happening when you kill people half of the time, so its disorienting.

i personally don't do that much effect work, so I don't know how you did the effects personally. i'm sure i could figure it out if i were tinkering with it or had the same plugins if you're using any

MMaRsu

Banned
its pretty cool -- my only advice is "less is more." You have a ton of cool effects, but i can hardly tell what's happening when you kill people half of the time, so its disorienting.

i personally don't do that much effect work, so I don't know how you did the effects personally. i'm sure i could figure it out if i were tinkering with it or had the same plugins if you're using any

Thanks man :). Yeah less is indeed more but it seemed kinda boring without some of those effects, but after I was done I did notice some kills were tough to see.. A point for my next montage ;)

I also quickly put this together, nothing serious

teezzy

Banned
I'm a dirty Vegas fanboy. Haven't played around since Sony sold off the IP though. I prefer the Vegs workflow to everything else I've tried

Top Bottom