• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 10 Controversial Cartoon Episodes

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Shiv47 said:
Song of the South has been bootlegged so thoroughly over the years, thanks to the Japanese laserdisc release, that Disney should just release it in a Treasures format. Get some notable black actor/actress to shoot a sensitivity piece to put in front of it, and add some vaguely scholarly extras material, and bam, money in the bank. I do vaguely remember seeing it in the theaters the last time it got released, back in the early 70s.

WB actually did a screening of some of the Censored 11 last week.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censored_Eleven#Public_Awareness_in_the_21st_Century

http://www.tcm.com/festival/#/films/cartoons

People think they are testing the waters for a possible DVD release.

Shiv47 said:
Song of the South has been bootlegged so thoroughly over the years, thanks to the Japanese laserdisc release, that Disney should just release it in a Treasures format. Get some notable black actor/actress to shoot a sensitivity piece to put in front of it, and add some vaguely scholarly extras material, and bam, money in the bank. I do vaguely remember seeing it in the theaters the last time it got released, back in the early 70s.

You know, I'm pretty sure it was released in the 80's, sometime. I know I definitely saw it in theaters sometime around 1986. Or maybe it wasn't an authorized release? That's possible, I suppose.

Shiv47

SonicMegaDrive said:
You know, I'm pretty sure it was released in the 80's, sometime. I know I definitely saw it in theaters sometime around 1986. Or maybe it wasn't an authorized release? That's possible, I suppose.

Yeah, you're right. Looks like it was re-released in 1973, 1980 and 1986, then locked in the vault. I must have seen it in 1980 then, I was only 2 in '73.

Birbo

A long time ago (about 20 years or so) I went to a little theater in Chicago with some buddies called The Music Box for a Bugs Bunny film festival. During an episode with Yosemite San, there was a good few seconds with Bugs in blackface saying "Please master, don't whip me!" The whole theater got quiet before a rough cut in the film jumped over the scene.

On a funny side note, the festival was called "La Cage Aux Bugs." At some point in every episode, Bugs would come out dressed in drag and the whole theater would erupt in laughter and applause. I thought it was cool that the whole place loved the cartoons as much as I did. After it happened half a dozen times, I started thinking it was a bit much. That's when a buddy turned to me and said "You realize the crowd is gay, right?"

Shiv47 said:
Yeah, you're right. Looks like it was re-released in 1973, 1980 and 1986, then locked in the vault. I must have seen it in 1980 then, I was only 2 in '73.

Ah, okay. That's interesting.

It's actually surprising it didn't get locked away in the vault much, much sooner than that, given the company's current stance on the film.

JGS

Banned
Shiv47 said:

They shouldn't even have to do that. As a black dude, it annoys me that anyone should have to edit past works as if that works to erase racism of that day.

For the record, I never had a problem with Uncle Tom's Cabin or Song of the South to begin with. I would be more offended by Twain or Faulkner than Song of the South.

They should just mark it uncensored or something.

Birbo said:
A long time ago (about 20 years or so) I went to a little theater in Chicago with some buddies called The Music Box for a Bugs Bunny film festival. During an episode with Yosemite San, there was a good few seconds with Bugs in blackface saying "Please master, don't whip me!" The whole theater got quiet before a rough cut in the film jumped over the scene.
I saw that episode on tv when I was a kid. Bugs says in dialect, "Don't beat me, massa, don't beat me!" and scrabbles around on the ground. He might even have on slave clothes and I'm sure his lips change. I laughed until I thought I might pee my pants.

My daughter went through a Tom and Jerry phase. I bought one of the DVD collections and when it got to an episode where Mammy was chasing Tom with a broom, I was cringing, hoping my daughter wouldn't imitate the cartoon like she often does.

Shiv47

JGS said:
They shouldn't even have to do that. As a black dude, it annoys me that anyone should have to edit past works as if that works to erase racism of that day.

For the record, I never had a problem with Uncle Tom's Cabin or Song of the South to begin with. I would be more offended by Twain or Faulkner than Song of the South.

They should just mark it uncensored or something.

Yeah, that's what Disney did with some of the other Treasures stuff, having Leonard Maltin mention how these films "come from a different time" and all that shit. Kinda stupid, but it makes them look sensitive, instead of just cashing in.

JGS

Banned
SonicMegaDrive said:

You are correct. I remember seeing as a kid at our theater.

evil solrac v3.0 said:
fuck that, i don't consider any of these racist. they are what you want them to be.

Saying that these don't personally offend you is one thing.

Saying that you don't consider any of them racist means that you are operating with extreme blinders on.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I've never seen Song of the South but I'm sure I remember a trailer for it on my old Robin Hood video. I certainly remember an old black man singing zipedee do dah. Did it get a UK video release in the 80s?

Jedeye Sniv said:
I've never seen Song of the South but I'm sure I remember a trailer for it on my old Robin Hood video. I certainly remember an old black man singing zipedee do dah. Did it get a UK video release in the 80s?

yeah it did, I still own it on legit VHS. I didn't even know it was rarely reissued although i remember fuck all about it, i used to watch it all the time as a kid.

There is this one movie, its like a black version of who framed roger rabbit... it was pretty crazy, covered the ghetto, HIV, Gangs, corrupt cops, prostitutes... and it was like made in the 80s I think... alots of cartoon sex too omg... :lol

Dont remeber the name, had this one chick who represented all of america, this blond lady who was like a huge whore.

squicken

Dreams-Visions said:
LOL.

see, this is what becomes of you when you grow up with no perspective on the last 50-70 years of American history or the black experience therein. it wasn't that long ago that these things effectively encouraged and helped to sustain a culture of inequality and inequity towards people of color. it wasn't that long ago that these things had so much effect that people of color sought out hair-straightening chemicals and skin bleaching cream in an effort to be more culturally acceptable. it wasn't that long ago that these kinds of cartoons were used to justify your stereotypes and provide context to hate.

in fact, most of those things are still happening/available today. then again, most of my white brothers and sisters don't understand the cultural privileged that they inherited and almost never think about it. such is the convenience. the drawback is a lack of perspective and ability to empathize.

oh well.

so . . . you think all those films and shorts should stay in the vault? no one would ever see them? or there content altered so as not to offend anyone? what about content that isn't offensive to black people? is that okay?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
God, the article reads like some overly paternal, PC liberal ninny nonsense.

Look at how the writer pretends that they're SO offended by the material. Really now? Sigh.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
TheVampire said:
What about that episode of Spongebob Squarepants?

"Rock-A-Bye Bivalve" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season three, which is highly controversial due to allegedly portraying Spongebob and Patrick as a gay couple.

This episode is the most controversial of the series. Spongebob and Patrick's relationship in this episode is comparable to that of a gay couple. Sexual jokes include:

-When SpongeBob and Patrick are playing with the scallop in a musical montage, they are seen bicycling with the scallop past two fish, a male and a female. The male fish appears to be very confused and is shown with a thought bubble over his head, containing the equation "Sponge + Starfish = Scallop?"

-When it's time for bed, the camera angles suggest that SpongeBob and Patrick are getting into the same bed and are talking about the baby scallop, but then the camera pulls away to reveal that the two are, in fact, sleeping on different layers of the same bed and not on the same mattress.

-At the end of the episode, when the scallop flies away and SpongeBob and Patrick are reminiscing about the fun times they had with the scallop, Patrick suggests "Let's have another", and SpongeBob seems to be in shock. Then the screen cuts to black and the episode ends. In a few arings, that quote was censored out.

I think people look too much into it. Seems pretty innocent to me.

EDIT: I retract my statement. I just remembered even as a kid I thought the episode was implying they were gay.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
SnakeSlashRO said:
There is this one movie, its like a black version of who framed roger rabbit... it was pretty crazy, covered the ghetto, HIV, Gangs, corrupt cops, prostitutes... and it was like made in the 80s I think... alots of cartoon sex too omg... :lol

Dont remeber the name, had this one chick who represented all of america, this blond lady who was like a huge whore.
Coonskin? or Cool World?

cory

Banned
What about the Beauty & the Beast recolor issue, her hair is brown, dammit!

I'm not sure if they're going to continue with the Treasures format with Roy Disney gone, he was the major force behind them and its last release had only 2 sets.

Ifrit

Rewrite said:
Wow, that was an interesting read. I also managed to see all the videos posted in this thread and I also find it very intriguing due to all the controversy of it. They're a part of our history and it's interesting to see how during those times (like the Bugs Bunny cartoon), how these cartoons were handled.

Since someone mentioned Tom & Jerry, I will always remember this episode where it's like in the medieval times or something and Tom is given the task to protect something or keep quiet for the king (forgot which). If he fails to do so, they would chop his head off. As it turns out, at the end of the episode, Tom gets busted and the scene moves on with Jerry and the gray mouse walking in the streets and you see this guillotine with it's blade coming down and it basically implies Tom getting beheaded. Then the gray mouse that's accompanying Jerry says, "Poor pussycat" and shrug it off and continue happily marching in the streets like nothing happened.

Yeah I remember that one, I found it pretty disturbing when I watched that episode as a kid, they were musketeers IIRC

cory said:
What about the Beauty & the Beast recolor issue, her hair is brown, dammit!

I'm not sure if they're going to continue with the Treasures format with Roy Disney gone, he was the major force behind them and its last release had only 2 sets.

Leonard Maltin confirmed that they aren't doing any new ones this year. So, in all likelihood, the 'Treasures' are done with.

Dai101

Banned
malingenie said:
The spanish voiceover for MASSA from Tom & Jerry was awesome: "Tomas, gato del demonio!" or something like that.

Very accurate, also she speaks with some caribean (cuban that is) accent.

Rewrite said:
Since someone mentioned Tom & Jerry, I will always remember this episode where it's like in the medieval times or something and Tom is given the task to protect something or keep quiet for the king (forgot which). If he fails to do so, they would chop his head off. As it turns out, at the end of the episode, Tom gets busted and the scene moves on with Jerry and the gray mouse walking in the streets and you see this guillotine with it's blade coming down and it basically implies Tom getting beheaded. Then the gray mouse that's accompanying Jerry says, "Poor pussycat" and shrug it off and continue happily marching in the streets like nothing happened.

Remember that too. It was likely a parody of the 3 musketeers, and yes, the ending is so harsh, poor Tom, i really hate that fuking mouse.

birbo said:

That too, i have luck to have watched most of this now censored cartoons, except for Coal Black and Tin Pan Alley Cats that never get aired here.

DrForester said:
WB actually did a screening of some of the Censored 11 last week.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censore...e_21st_Century

http://www.tcm.com/festival/#/films/cartoons

People think they are testing the waters for a possible DVD release.

DAMN!!! That would be awesome, restored versions of this shorts and no bad quality recorded from who knows where. A dream. I'll buy it at a high price.

Mudkips

Banned
Blader5489 said:
Censored 11 is number two?
Because this "article" is pure "how can we get more ad revenue out of that soutjpark / muhammed thing?".

goldlion054 said:
cartoons be the subject son.

Married with Children is a live action cartoon, and one of the best shows to ever air.

Dai101

Banned
B.K. said:

HOLY MOTHER OF THE MOTHERFUCKING SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

I CAN'T CONTAIN IT!!!!!!!!!! FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom