• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 10 Movies, 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it's been nearly a year, I think, since we had one of these threads. We've had an influx of juniors since the last one, so it seems time for another.

The concern was raised in the film thread that these sorts of threads almost inevitably end up turning into a "list your favorite films" thread, rather than an attempt to comment on artistic greatness divorced from personal aesthetics/biases. I doubt that most make that distinction, but if you do, you're free to include two lists: one of the ones you think are the best and the ones that you, personally, enjoy watching the most.

Away we go!

Note: for my own personal list, I've instituted a "one film per director" rule, but nobody else need feel bound by that constraint.

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey (Stanley Kubrick, 1968)
2. Taxi Driver (Martin Scorsese, 1976)
3. Ikiru (Akira Kurosawa, 1952)
4. Tokyo Story (Yasujiro Ozu, 1953)
5. The Thin Red Line (Terrence Malick, 1998)
6. Aguirre: The Wrath of God (Werner Herzog, 1972)
7. The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (John Cassavetes, 1976)
8. The Godfather, Part 1 (Francis Ford Coppola, 1972)
9. Crimes and Misdemeanors (Woody Allen, 1989)
10. The Third Man (Carol Reed, 1949)

Edit: and I also think that it's totally fair game to call out what you see as questionable choices on the lists of others or to call attention to particularly good selections. This thread would be boring if it were just a bunch of lists; the discussion is what kicks it up a notch!

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
So it's been nearly a year, I think, since we had one of these threads. We've had an influx of juniors since the last one, so it seems time for another.

The concern was raised in the film thread that these sorts of threads almost inevitably end up turning into a "list your favorite films" thread, rather than an attempt to comment on artistic greatness divorced from personal aesthetics/biases. I doubt that most make that distinction, but if you do, you're free to include two lists: one of the ones you think are the best and the ones that you, personally, enjoy watching the most.

Away we go!

Note: for my own personal list, I've instituted a "one film per director" rule, but nobody else need feel bound by that constraint.

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey (Stanley Kubrick, 1968)
2. Taxi Driver (Martin Scorsese, 1976)
3. Ikiru (Akira Kurosawa, 1952)
4. Tokyo Story (Yasujiro Ozu, 1953)
5. The Thin Red Line (Terrence Malick, 1998)
6. Aguirre: The Wrath of God (Werner Herzog, 1972)
7. The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (John Cassavetes, 1976)
8. The Godfather, Part 1 (Francis Ford Coppola, 1972)
9. Crimes and Misdemeanors (Woody Allen, 1989)
10. The Third Man (Carol Reed, 1949)
I like this rule, I'll think of a list later. :)

1. In The Mood For Love (Wong Kar-Wai)
2. Rashomon (Akira Kurosawa)
3. Vertigo (Alfred Hitchcock)
4. Casablanca (Michael Curtiz)
5. Breathless (Jean-Luc Godard)
6. Yi Yi (Edward Yang)
7. The Bridge on the River Kwai (David Lean)
8. Paths of Glory (Stanley Kubrick)
9. On The Waterfront (Elia Kazan)
10. The Wizard of Oz (Victor Fleming)

This was way harder than it was supposed to be and I'm missing a bunch. :(

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Blah

Shawshank
Se7en
The Jerk
Field of Dreams
Fletch
Batman Begins
The Verdict
Once Upon a Time in the West
The Trial
Blade Runner

Nothing pretentious about my list...

EliCash

Damn you with your sensible one film per director rule! I now need to think about this. I'll check my criticker and see what that throws up.

JaseMath

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark
2. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
3. The Shawshank Redemption
Fight Club
The Empire Strikes Back
Terminator 2: Judgement Day
Rushmore
The Dark Knight
Die Hard
North by Northwest

I always wrestle with the order of the bottom 7, but the top three remain.

Melchiah

The Evil Dead
Fight Club
Triumph des Willens
Rosemary's Baby
[REC]
Jacob's Ladder
Session 9
The Shining
Conspiracy
The Exorcism of Emily Rose

Divius

Also using the one film per director-rule:

10. Brazil (Terry Gilliam, 1985)
09. Aliens (James Cameron, 1986)
08. Blade Runner (Ridley Scott, 1982)
07. Yôjinbô (Akiro Kurosawa, 1961)
06. Seppuku (Masaki Kobayashi, 1962)
05. The Third Man (Carol Reed, 1949)
04. Chinatown (Roman Polanski, 1974)
03. Vertigo (Alfred Hitchcock, 1958)
02. The Godfather (Francis Ford Coppola, 1979)
01. 2001: A Space Odyssey (Stanley Kubrick, 1968)

I hate doing my top 10, it doesn't reflect how many good movies I've seen. When I lay it down, it looks like I've never seen a movie made before 1990, but I've watched the entire filmography of some of the best directors ever. (Fellini, Bergman, Hitchcock, Howard Hawks, Scorsese, Kubrick, Wilder, etc.) so don't judge me.

01. The Godfather (Francis Ford Coppola)
02. Sawshank Redemption (Frank Darabont)
03. Forrest Gump (Robert Zemeckis)
04. The Good, The Bad & The Ugly (Sergio Leone)
05. Pulp Fiction (Quentin Tarantino)
06. Fight Club (David Fincher)
07. Children of Men (Alfonso Cuaron)
08. Casablanca (Michael Curtiz)
09. There Will Be Blood (Paul Thomas Anderson)
10. Taxi Driver (Martin Scorsese)

Looks like the top 10 movies in the IMDB Top 250 lol

Robot 492

Banned
updated list:

1. The Godfather (Francis Ford Coppola, 1972)
2. Annie Hall (Woody Allen, 1977)
3. Pulp Fiction (Quentin Tarantino, 1994)
4. Taxi Driver (Martin Scorsese, 1976)
5. The Shawshank Redemption (Frank Darabont, 1994)
6. Casablanca (Michael Curtiz, 1942)
7. Crimes and Misdemeanors (Woody Allen, 1989)
8. Psycho (Alfred Hitchcock, 1960)
9. M (Fritz Lang, 1931)
10. Detour (Edgar G. Ulmer, 1945)

nskinnear said:
2. 12 Angry Men (Martin Scorsese, 1976)
3. Casablanca (Michael Curtiz, 1942)
4. Vertigo (Alfred Hitchcock, 1958)
5. 2001: A Space Odyssey (Stanley Kubrick, 1968)
6. The Seven Samurai (Akira Kurosawa, 1954)
7. Taxi Driver (Martin Scorsese, 1976)
8. A Clockwork Orange (Stanley Kubrick, 1971)
9. North by Northwest (Alfred Hitchcock, 1959)
10. Pulp Fiction (Quentin Tarantino, 1994)

Shawshank would be number 11, since I think it deserves a mention (one of my all-time favorites).
Can we be friends?

I enjoyed every movie you listed and they probably all are in my top 50. (aside from Vertigo)

If we weren't going by the one film per director rule, this list would be primarily Coen Brothers. And I'll admit that this list is mostly personal. A list of my favorites, as opposed to the most skilled, and well-made movies.

1. O Brother Where Art Thou? (Coen Brothers)*
2. Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (Stanley Kubrick)
3. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (Terry Gilliam)
4. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (Wes Anderson)
5. The Blues Brothers (John Landis)
6. Jaws (Steven Spielberg)
7. Blazing Saddles (Mel Brooks)
8. Back to the Future (Robert Zemeckis)
9. The Iron Giant (Brad Bird)
10. The Shawshank Redemption (Frank Darabont)

*I would like to kind of explain this one, because I'm guessing it seems like an unusual choice. I absolutely love the Coen Brothers, and I'm sure most people would expect me to pick The Big Lebowski or Fargo or something. But this is my favorite movie of all time, and the reason why... It's perfect. I mean... I can't think of any moment of this movie, any FRAME of this movie, that I don't enjoy. It's not really deep. It's not something you can think about or debate with friends, but I don't need that when every moment is just so enjoyable. Every time I see it, I'm happy. I'm at peace, and I'm always excited to see it again.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I love top 10 movie lists because they are invariably filled with art-house indie or "classic"ly unwatchable tripe.

Fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.

blade runner
once upon a time in the west
the new world
heat
fellowship of the ring
raiders of the lost ark
the thing
chinatown
hard boiled
godfather pt.1

uh don't really want to rank. oh wtf I thought this was a personal top 10 thread...my bad. I'm sticking with it being that.

So to clarify, we're supposed to list the top 10 best movies we've ever seen and our personal tastes don't enter into it at all?

Ok.

1.) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
2.) Children of Men
3.) Pulp Fiction
4.) The Godfather
5.) LA Confidential
6.) Heat
7.) City of God
8.) Fargo
9.) Head-On (Gegen die Wand)
10.) Fight Club

Lionel Mandrake said:
1. O Brother Where Art Thou? (Coen Brothers)

I don't think it's even in the Coen's top 3, honestly. Great movie, though.

The rest of the list has some seriously interesting choices, props for that.

nskinnear said:
2. 12 Angry Men (Sidney Lumet, 1957)
3. Casablanca (Michael Curtiz, 1942)
4. Vertigo (Alfred Hitchcock, 1958)
5. 2001: A Space Odyssey (Stanley Kubrick, 1968)
6. The Seven Samurai (Akira Kurosawa, 1954)
7. Taxi Driver (Martin Scorsese, 1976)
8. A Clockwork Orange (Stanley Kubrick, 1971)
9. North by Northwest (Alfred Hitchcock, 1959)
10. Pulp Fiction (Quentin Tarantino, 1994)

Shawshank would be number 11, since I think it deserves a mention (one of my all-time favorites).

This is a real film geek's list. I mean that as a compliment.

Melchiah

AlteredBeast said:
I love top 10 movie lists because they are invariably filled with art-house indie or "classic"ly unwatchable tripe.

That's often true, but speaking for myself, I only listed movies I've watched several times.

sans_pants

avec_pénis
Melchiah said:
That's often true, but speaking for myself, I only listed movies I've watched several times.

not trying to be a dick but i dont understand how you could have session 9 in your top 10 list

Stuck to the one director rule and listed them chronologically. Having to rank them would've killed me, it was hard enough getting it down to 10 :'(

Citizen Kane (1941, Welles)
The Big Sleep (1946, Hawks)
Tokyo Story (1953, Ozu)
On The Waterfront (1954, Kazan)
The Seven Samurai (1954, Kurosawa)
Vertigo (1958, Hitchcock)
Vivre Sa Vie (1962, Godard)
Faces (1968, Cassavetes)
The Godfather (1972, Coppola)
My Neighbour Totoro (1988, Miyazaki)

Worth noting that although it's not amongst the best films I've seen, The Matrix was the film that inspired me to attempt to become a director, so that film will always hold a special place within my life

Melchiah

sans_pants said:
not trying to be a dick but i dont understand how you could have session 9 in your top 10 list

Different strokes for different folks. I love psychological horror films, and I consider that as one of the best in the genre. I would have listed Jaume Balaguero's The Nameless as well, but the rule was one film per director.

Mister Wilhelm said:
He also has The Exorcism of Emily Rose but not The Exorcist.

Yep.

Maybe because I like it more? And I prefer Emily Rose's take on the subject; possession/psychological disorder.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Mister Wilhelm said:
He also has The Exorcism of Emily Rose but not The Exorcist.

Yep.

Yes, he enjoys movies he enjoys. Unpretentiously. Amazing, isn't it?

We should all be so lucky to enjoy things without being cynical to their consensus rating or listing on top 10 lists...

AlteredBeast said:

We should all be so lucky to enjoy things without being cynical to their consensus rating or listing on top 10 lists...

From what I understand this thread is not about what we "enjoy". My list would include shitfests like 3000 Miles to Graceland and less critically popular movies like The Fifth Element if that was the case.

Besides, The Exorcism of Emily Rose has some good scenes but it is blatant religious propaganda.

Robot 492

Banned
Max Armstrong said:
Can we be friends?

I enjoyed every movie you listed and they probably all are in my top 50. (aside from Vertigo)
Heh, funny you say that, because I had the same reaction to your list. I love all of the films you mentioned (maybe with the exception of Forrest Gump, which I think is good but a bit overrated).

Mister Wilhelm said:
From what I understand this thread is not about what we "enjoy". My list would include shitfests like 3000 Miles to Graceland and less critically popular movies like The Fifth Element if that was the case.

so basically it's about lame posturing?

lemme make sure to get a director from each region of the world

sans_pants

avec_pénis
AlteredBeast said:

his list impresses me more than the film 101 lists in this thread, but hes got some odd choices imo

brianjones said:

It's about objectively assessing the movies we have seen without personal bias.

I don't see how you could look at most of these lists, including mine, and chalk them up to "lame posturing". That's just being entirely negative.

AlteredBeast said:

Fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.

Awwwww look, he's feeling insecure because he doesn't understand great cinema. If your username is anything to go by, you enjoy shit games too. But don't worry, who gives a fuck about Godard when we have Michael Bay blowing shit up, in 3D!

Manus

In no order.

Pulp Fiction
The Shining
The Thing
Rear Window
Heat
No Country For Old Men
Dazed and Confused
Toy Story
Children of Men
Dawn of the Dead (Remake)

EliCash

Melchiah said:
The Evil Dead
Fight Club
Triumph des Willens
Rosemary's Baby
[REC]
Jacob's Ladder
Session 9
The Shining
Conspiracy
The Exorcism of Emily Rose

Have you ever seen Angel Heart? The films I've put in bold are the only one's I've seen from your list, and I hold 3 as great films 1 as good, if you haven't I have a feeling you'd enjoy it and that it would maybe make your list.

Melchiah

Mister Wilhelm said:

Besides, The Exorcism of Emily Rose has some good scenes but it is blatant religious propaganda.

What makes film top 10 quality for me, is that it bears multiple viewings, and that it has made an impact on me.

Funny you say that, as The Exorcist was far worse. At least Emily Rose left something open for debate.

EliCash said:
Have you ever seen Angel Heart? The films I've put in bold are the only one's I've seen from your list, and I hold 3 as great films 1 as good, if you haven't I have a feeling you'd enjoy it and it would maybe make your list.

Yes, I have. One of my favorite films. =)

Qwomo

I_Titus.jpg
fdBA6.jpg

dB5ZJ.jpg
PorcoRossoOST.jpg

clintgoodbad.jpg
Nick-Frost.jpg

37und.jpg
qnQRD.jpg

oh4zm.jpg
RjH2r.jpg

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Predator
Star Wars
Hot Fuzz
The Lords of the Ring
Apocalypse Now
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Patch Adams
Jurassic Park
Boyz n the Hood
One Flew Over a Cuckoo's Nest

brianjones said:

lemme make sure to get a director from each region of the world

lmao. Yeah I'm just posting a personal top 10 list. (which is what many are doing here)

Melchiah said:
Funny you say that, as The Exorcist was far worse. At least Emily Rose left something open for debate.

I'm not sure what the film leaves "open for debate". All it does is try to make you consider becoming a follower of Jesus Christ under the thinly veiled disguise of "possibilities". It throws this agenda in your face to the point that when the big, bad, evil lawyer trying to get a priest thrown in prison brings up that religion has no place in a courtroom, HE is made to be in the wrong.

The movie is ridiculous. The Exorcist is a masterpiece of horror that pushed the boundaries of the genre more than 99% of the movies that exist today do, and it did so DECADES ago.

Glad you liked Angel Heart, though.

Discotheque said:
lmao. Yeah I'm just posting a personal top 10 list. (which is what many are doing here)

I'd say half of your list could still be debatable as top 10 anyways.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
My Top 10 favorites in no order (well DOH is #1 but the rest i dunno) decided this on films i could not imagine living without.

Star wars : the empire strikes back
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind
Days of heaven
2001 space odyssey
Only yesterday
The Thin red line
Tokyo story
Millennium actress
The Double Life of Véronique
Chungking express

Almost wanted to enforce a 1 film per director rule, but i made one small exception.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
It would have to go something like . .

1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

(no real order)
Pulp Fiction
The Iron Giant
Children of Men
There Will Be Blood
Jack Ass 2
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Shaun of the Dead
Dark Knight

Timber

AlteredBeast said:
AlteredBeast said:
Yes, he enjoys movies he enjoys. We should all be so lucky to enjoy things without being cynical
Good stuff man.

Melchiah

Mister Wilhelm said:
I'm not sure what the film leaves "open for debate". All it does is try to make you consider becoming a follower of Jesus Christ under the thinly veiled disguise of "possibilities". It throws this agenda in your face to the point that when the big, bad, evil lawyer trying to get a priest thrown in prison brings up that religion has no place in a courtroom, HE is made to be in the wrong.

The movie is ridiculous. The Exorcist is a masterpiece of horror that pushed the boundaries of the genre more than 99% of the movies that exist today do, and it did so DECADES ago.

Glad you liked Angel Heart, though.

As I took it, it was left relatively open whether the girl was possessed, or whether there was something else going on.

I think Rosemary's Baby, which offered a more unconventional viewpoint, was far more meaningful and boundary-pushing horror film of the 60ies.

1. Before Sunrise
2. Chungking Express
3. Pulp Fiction
4. Blade Runner
5. Lost In Translation
6. Magnolia
7. Vertigo
8. Mulholland Drive
9. Fargo
10. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Not necessarily in that order. I think the list would change weekly if I had to make a weekly list, so I can't say for certain "this is my third favourite film", for example. But this is what immediately comes to mind (keeping to the rules). There is still a lot of classic cinema I have yet to explore though .

no particular order, but Raiders is my favorite.

1. Raiders of the lost Ark
2. Jurassic park
3. Empire strikes back
4. Back to the future
5. Aladdin
6. Casablanca
7. Die Hard
8. Mission impossible
9. Terminator 2
10. Aliens

there's so many more i could list.
-saving private Ryan
-the dark knight
-the last crusade
-toy story
-finding nemo
-12 angry men
-Schindler's list.
-lord of the rings
-goldeneye 007
-Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
- Forrest Gump
-Jaws

Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:
Awwwww look, he's feeling insecure because he doesn't understand great cinema. If your username is anything to go by, you enjoy shit games too. But don't worry, who gives a fuck about Godard when we have Michael Bay blowing shit up, in 3D!

Agreed with most of your post RIGHT up until you used Godard as your example. I'd have to concur with anybody who claimed Godard as overrated.

And for the record, I wasn't saying anything about a top 10 list devoid of your personal taste. I said that either was acceptable but that a person was free to make the differentiation if they so chose. Something like The Third Man is something, for example, that would inarguably fall into either list, as is Taxi Driver.

icarus: I as much as said in the first post that I personally like when other people call out things on the lists of others, so I suppose I 'started' it if anybody did.

Edit: What interests me about my list is the lack of Ingmar Bergman. I'd easily rank him as one of the great writer-directors of all time, but I think I enjoy his films more on an intellectual level than on a visceral or personal one. Wild Strawberries is probably an easy 11, though, and would likely break through into the top 10 on a different day.

1) High Noon (Fred Zinnemann, 1952)
2) Fight Club (David Fincher, 1999)
3) Maltese Falcon (John Huston, 19 41)
4) Anand (Hrishikesh Mukherjee, 1971)
5) Yojimbo (Akira Kurosawa, 1961)
6) Bringing Up Baby (Howard Hawks, 1938)
7) Rear Window (Alfred Hitchcock, 1954)
8) Cool Hand Luke (Stuart Rosenberg, 1967)
9) Amores Perros (Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2000)
10) The Man WHo Shot Liberty Valance (John Ford, 1962)

ZZMitch

1. Shawshank Redempton
2. Back to the Future
3. Star Wars: Episode V
4. Dances with Wolves
5. Toy Story 3
6. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
7. Thirteen Days
8. Letters from Iwo Jima
9. Fight Club
10. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

Also, can't really leave these out so I will list them as well.
- Patton
- Forrest Gump
- Rudy
- October Sky
- Parenthood
- Ratatouille
- Aladdin
- Gettysburg
- Catch Me if You Can

edit- crap, forgot about Indiana Jones... oh well

Mr. Sam

One film per director it is, though it meant I had to exclude some great films. The order, obviously, isn't particularly strict:

1. Jaws (Steven Spielberg)
  2. Pulp Fiction (Quentin Tarantino)
  3. No Country For Old Men (The Coens)
  4. Leon (Luc Besson)
  5. Blade Runner (Ridley Scott)
  6. Fight Club (David Fincher)
  7. The Matrix (The Wachowskis)
  8. The Godfather: Part 2 (Francis Ford Coppola)
  9. Dr. Strangelove (Stanley Kubrick)
  10. The Incredibles (Brad Bird)

Many just missed out. Eternal Sunshine, Aliens, Die Hard, Lethal Weapon 2 (yes, really), Back to the Future. Many more were just disqualified because of the director - Fargo, Inglorious Bastards, Jurassic Park, Alien, Zodiac, Apocalypse Now, 2001, Speed Racer (no, not really). And yeah, I'm shocked how high I rate The Incredibles as well.

Trainspotting (Danny Boyle, 1996)
The Godfather: Part II (Francis Ford Coppola, 1974)
Taxi Driver (Martin Scorsese, 1976)
Fight Club (David Fincher, 1999)
City of God (Fernando Meirelles/Kátia Lund, 2002)
The Pianist (Roman Polanski, 2002)
Children of Men (Alfonso Cuarón, 2006)
Run Lola Run (Tom Tykwer, 1998)
Before Sunrise (Richard Linklater, 1995)
Pulp Fiction (Quentin Tarantino, 1994)

Timber

If your first language isn't English, are you still a snob for watching many foreign language movies?

RIDDLE ME THAT

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Its just comical to me that someone can say that

"Awwwww look, he's feeling insecure because he doesn't understand great cinema. If your username is anything to go by, you enjoy shit games too. But don't worry, who gives a fuck about Godard when we have Michael Bay blowing shit up, in 3D!"

Who here has anything resembling a Michael Bay Explosion porn?

Then you have sentences like "It's about objectively assessing the movies we have seen without personal bias."

what the hell is that? What is it to be a critic but to assess personal bias?

"Man, I sure hated the horrible pacing of The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, but I can see how someone, some where could enjoy it. Two Thumbs Up!"

No, Ebert, Roeper, Travers, Shalit, Maltin, etc. Rate movies that they enjoy on how they enjoy them.

Look at Roger Ebert's top movies of the 80's list:

Best films of the 1980s
-----------------------
1. "Raging Bull"
2. "The Right Stuff"
3. "E.T. -- The Extra-Terrestrial"
4. "Do the Right Thing"
5. "My Dinner with Andre"
6. "Raiders of the Lost Ark"
7. "Ran"
8. "Mississippi Burning"
9. "Platoon"
10. "House of Games"

Man, he must be pretty stupid, where are all of his French and Japanese movies? he must have forgotten to look up Best Of lists when he composed his list... (and yes, I know Ran is by Kurosawa, but you get my point)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom