• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top PlayStation executive predicts focus will ‘shift from graphics to immersive narratives’

StereoVsn

Can we have some incredible fps with good narratives
We are talking Cinematic here! 24 FPS is best they can do, but it’s going to be the BEST 24FPS you have ever seen!

game-with-incredible-cinematic-elements-enhance-gameplay-imgflipcom-still-focused-on-gameplay-right

For now I have not really seen where the additional power of the PS5 CPU went. Games just look a bit better. Just keep PS4 visuals and put all remaining ressources into game mechanics, physics, animation, that should be more visible than shinier pixels and overblown camera effects.
A living world or whatever Cyberpunk and also other RPGs long before promised is also still nowhere to be seen.
I also hope AI is not trained on the garbage sidequest dialogs we have in games now and they are only allowed to read proper books and main writer stuff. Sidequests sometimes have some funny ideas but they kinda never really fit in the narrative, because they are basically always distractions. No idea how and if AI would circumvent that and get rid of those game breaking open world trash inherent to its design core, which is if not ruining than at least diluting immersive narratives.

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
Asad-Qizilbash-a-768x449.jpg

This clown drank the koolaid. And he wears a kojipro tshirt :messenger_face_screaming:.

She was the typical not fucked for ages moany bitch kinda personality. Thank god in the future, with AI, we could persuade her to swallow our rocco sized megaphallus and immediately see her personality improve after the deepthroat based coitus.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
This clown drank the koolaid. And he wears a kojipro tshirt :messenger_face_screaming:.

She was the typical not fucked for ages kinda personality. Thank god in the future, with AI, we could persuade her to swallow our rocco sized megaphallus and immediately see her personality improve after the deepthroat based coitus.
I don’t know about all that, but wasn’t my screenshot funny?

Sethbacca

I don't think this is as negative a story as everyone is making it out to be. We're hitting diminishing returns on graphics and companies need to market something to sell you new product. I feel like all this is, is an acknowledgement of that fact. This is the same direction the market has always been heading in.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
We “shifted” from graphics to nonsense a long time ago. PS3/360 era was last time I noticed a decent leap graphically. Today’s games are ps4 level graphics with better frames/rez.
And yet in the last 5 years they take longer to make despite the easier to develop hardware and bigger devices teams at home crying that they may have to go into work this week.
The industry needs a big clear out.
There still some decent Devs that ain't pulling this bull shit and Korean Devs are also add to that with stellar results...

Tg89

Focus on gameplay instead. Graphics are already great and we have several mediums already that do narratives well.

shamoomoo

Great... more boring stuff.

I rather prefer art direction.
If something is immersive, doesn't that imply the content grabbed your attention? So how will that occur if not by gameplay,art direction, audio or whatever?

I can understand if you are saying this executive is just using buzzwords for marketing purposes but effort is required to grab and hold a person's attention.

Hudo

Edit: The dude actually said that he wants a more systemic approach to narrative, which I support. But which Sony studio could pull that off?

Last edited:

XXL

People should actually read the article.

It sounds like he is talking about AI integration to make the experience more personalized.

At least that how I interpreted it.

I don’t want games to look better than uncharted 4, the last of us part two, Star Wars battlefront 2015, those look good enough, I just want new and innovative gameplay, smarter AI, environments that feel alive etc.

The PS360 gen was the last gen of true innovation, it’s been downhill since.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I don’t want games to look better than uncharted 4, the last of us part two, Star Wars battlefront 2015, those look good enough, I just want new and innovative gameplay, smarter AI, environments that feel alive etc.
Welcome to Live Service games my friend. The next few years we feast.

proandrad

Hope that means they stop focusing so much on graphics technology that tank a games performance for mid visual upgrades. Ray tracing is a waste of resources atm. Can we get better physics and ai? We haven’t had any meaningful jump in physics simulation since half life 2.

DaGwaphics

M'lord, I see that you're hoarding 58 health potions. Why the fuck?

You joke, but if the tech keeps moving forward I think we could see some clever things in this area.

Imagine walking around and overhearing people discussing your latest heist, getting some things right, other parts becoming tall tales, etc.

Why not both? Hellblade 2 managed it 🤷‍♂️
Which is why its only 5 hours. Creating a big game take a long time and hard work. Somebody has to write the script, draw the concept art, build the map, design the characters, take reference photos, design the fight choreography, record the voice acting, direct the motion capture performance, build the code. If your team isnt big and talented, or you dont have a big enough of a budget to pay all of the people working, you'll only be able to afford them working long enough to make a game like HellBlade.

Hellblade still took 7 years for 5 hours of gameplay, which is why some people believe they will be next to get axed because that development pipeline time frame is unsustainable. Its probably also why Hellbade didnt get any real marketing; they ran through their marketing budget.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

1. He's making a prediction of the general industry, not PlayStation games specifically.
2. His role within the company is turning PS IPs into movies/shows. He has no actual pull when it comes to what games PS Studios make in the future.

semiconscious

Gold Member
warning to industry: the less you focus, first & foremost, on gameplay, the greater the chance that youtube walkthroughs completely satisfy more & more what was once your customer base...

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
People like this confuse games with books and films. Those two are made for narrative storytelling. Video games are not. In fact, games are awful at storytelling.

The reason why is because a video game has to have its narrative broken up by gameplay. Because it's a video game. Also, this is the same reason there is far more gameplay than cutscenes in a video game.

Even when NPCs look more realistic, without decent writing and acting it's all for nothing, and to be honest 90% of games have truly awful writing already.

I do agree with him about AI allowing players to personalise their gaming experience, but I'm not sure how far that will go. Is it just asking AI for help when stuck, or asking AI to create a game from scratch?

bitbydeath

Old GAF: Why don’t games focus on AI, we haven’t seen advancements since *checks notes - FEAR

New GAF: Why are they putting more focus on AI!? Fire that guy!

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

Gold Member
And yet in the last 5 years they take longer to make despite the easier to develop hardware and bigger devices teams at home crying that they may have to go into work this week.
The industry needs a big clear out.
There still some decent Devs that ain't pulling this bull shit and Korean Devs are also add to that with stellar results...
This ain’t political. I never mentioned anything specific. I’m talking almost all series x and ps5 games are last gen looking graphically with better performance and or resolution.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Good.

Tired of cookie cutter stories. Make me feel something. Make me think about your game after I put it down.
Time for this medium to realize its potential
why not play a visual novel instead of looking towards AAA slop for good videogame stories

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The reason why is because a video game has to have its narrative broken up by gameplay.
Gameplay is capable of serving a narrative- it doesn't necessarily have to be that gameplay and narrative are exclusively disconnected. Not to mention that there's an entire genre of games that use the interactivity of the medium to let the player create their own narrative and we just had a critically acclaimed entry in that genre LAST YEAR.

the issue is that these major AAA games will have combat focused or puzzle focused gameplay then proceed to interrupt that with totally unfitting walk and talk sections or unskippable cutscenes. Not to mention that the stories themselves will typically not be the best. But that's not a result of videogames being an awful medium for storytelling, because they're not.

ungalo

Characters acting differently based on how you play is gameplay.
Acting in this case means more or less talking, or acting but again in a narrative context only, otherwise he would not put emphasis on emotions and characters. I guess you can consider that gameplay in a way, if you stretch it. But it's obviously not what most people mean when they say they want AI in games to improve, it's obviously a whole different context.

Top Bottom