• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toshiba Satellite default bios password

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petrie

Banned
A friend of mine recently installed a new hard drive on her Satellite A215-S5818 and in attempting to reinstall Windows the system is prompting for a Bios password she doesn't have. Does Toshiba possibly have one universal bios password for this model by default? Google searching has turned up nothing on the subject, and an email to Toshiba has thus far gone unanswered.

Thanks!

Jayge

If Toshiba's website doesn't have a PDF of the manual (or nowhere else has that information) I'll eat an extra waffle for breakfast today.

Kraftwerk

Petrie said:
Sadly she no longer has the manual.
Well the only option left is to reset it from the motherboard or remove the bios battery or something if i remember correctly.Will need professional help with that unless you have tech savvy friends.

loosus

Banned
Most motherboards (even laptops) have a jumpers that will clear the password.

Removing the CMOS battery for a while may or may not work. Some motherboards store the password in CMOS RAM, while others have gotten smart and store the password in a separate, non-volatile region of the motherboard -- so even a dead battery wouldn't kill the password.

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
I don't remember there being a default password on any Toshiba Laptops

hmm... if someone has set a password, that would be considered as an Out Of Warranty repair (possibly even a system board replacement, honestly), although Toshiba do have a challenge/response system on some of their laptops, I don't think it is on the Satellite

^ there are no jumpers on Toshiba 'built' laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom