• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Touch Arcade vs. NeoGAF

I have my own reservations about the kickstarter business model, but this guy is really coming off like a gigantic douche. And I feel bad for Ryan Payton. He's just trying to get his project off the ground, he certainly didn't ask or deserve any of this guy's vitriol.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Aye. He could have just posted a well reasoned paragraph, and that would have inspired far less bile, but what we got was a meandering trail of sometimes juvenile nonsense. I mean, shitfarter. Really.

Maybe it's just my upbringing, but I don't see the point of being so juvenile about expressing your opinion.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
To draw a comparison, look at Minecraft. One might say that people who invested in Minecraft got "something" immediately, but it wasn't a lot.

To be honest, if all I got out of Minecraft was what was given when I first bought the "alpha" version I would have been fine.

I think most of the people who bought into Minecraft was for what it was when they bought it, not the promise of what the future held. To be honest, when it finally exited Beta mode I didn't care.. Minecraft was a complete game/plaything long before it's "official" release.

Grisby

Twitter has been a goldmine for this type of shit lately.

Guy sounds like a real asshole. The tweets to site's readers are very immature.

mhayze

Everyday I read GAF, I find a new person to be disappointed in, it seems. I liked TouchArcade, although honestly their reviews are a little off sometimes, but still, good site. I can't believe a person with the temperament and judgement of Eli was able to create TouchArcade and become an editor on the other sites he mentions. It's like kickstarter killed his dog or something.

Anteater

937159-ON74898.png
That's a lie! I don't even have a decent pc!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Guy's being a jackass about this, but reading what he wrote, I think you're kidding yourself if you think he's having 'meltdowns' or losing any sleep over this.

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
Fucking Christ. Hodapp just doesn't know when to shut up. What is the point of his anti kick starter crusade? Give if you want , don't give if you don't want to. Kicking up a shitstorm is absurd. Way to shit where you eat, Eli.

El Sloth

Banned
I don't understand why everything onto the net has to devolve into a fight with insults being thrown everywhere. Why can't we have a conversation like regular damn people?

Vamphuntr

I don't understand why everything onto the net has to devolved into a fight with insults being thrown everywhere. Why can't we have a conversation like regular damn people?

People have insulted each others in the thread already so the answer is obviously no.

zroid

Banned
The Jim Sterling "comparison" was ONE throwaway comment by one person as far as I saw, so I'm not sure why that person generalizes it as "they."

Haven't you heard? NeoGAF is a collective hivemind of "casual" haters who don't actually buy games.

What's sad is how this guy is ruining his reputation for any future positions he may apply for. Eventually he's going to want to move on from working for a website (at least I would hope so) and move into PR/Consulting/etc. With the industry being what it is, many people could look at his recent comments as a direct attack against Ryan Payton, someone who is very respected in both the game development and games media community.

I'm sure he hasn't thought things through from a perspective that relates to his career because I can't imagine someone continuing to dig themselves a hole when it directly affects their livelihood.

mavs

What's sad is how this guy is ruining his reputation for any future positions he may apply for. Eventually he's going to want to move on from working for a website (at least I would hope so) and move into PR/Consulting/etc. With the industry being what it is, many people could look at his recent comments as a direct attack against Ryan Payton, someone who is very respected in both the game development and games media community.

I'm sure he hasn't thought things through from a perspective that relates to his career because I can't imagine someone continuing to dig themselves a hole when it directly affects their livelihood.

I think running the #1 website in his sector outweighs dumb twitter comments and neogaf hate. This isn't an Ocean marketing situation.

I think running the #1 website in his sector outweighs dumb twitter comments and neogaf hate. This isn't an Ocean marketing situation.

Does he own TouchArcade or is he just employed as the EIC? If he's the owner and actually profits from it, then yes, his comments won't really affect him. If he's just the EIC then I don't see why he wouldn't want to eventually move on from it. There's a pretty distinct line between making enough money to get by and making enough money to buy a house, raise a family, and ensure a stable future.

I work in the oil sector and have witnessed similar situations where someone burned a bridge they shouldn't have and went from making hundreds of thousands a year to no one giving them the time of day. You have to think about your future.

Personally, I don't really care what the guy says. He's entitled to say what he wants and everyone else is entitled to react in whatever way they want.

Does he own TouchArcade or is he just employed as the EIC? If he's the owner and actually profits from it, then yes, his comments won't really affect him. If he's just the EIC then I don't see why he wouldn't want to eventually move on from it. There's a pretty distinct line between making enough money to get by and making enough money to buy a house, raise a family, and ensure a stable future.

I work in the oil sector and have witnessed similar situations where someone burned a bridge they shouldn't have and went from making hundreds of thousands a year to no one giving them the time of day. You have to think about your future.

Personally, I don't really care what the guy says. He's entitled to say what he wants and everyone else is entitled to react in whatever way they want.
I don't think anyone would hire him elsewhere anyway. He has no editorial/writing skills to speak of. I swear half his posts are like "There's always room for another motorcycle game on my phone. Motorcycles are so cool!" He honestly has the mind of a 14 year old who thought he could write about iPhone games because he had "app" in his name, and just happened to get in on Toucharcade before it became a thing.

wondermega

1st of all, TA is an amazing site/powerful community and it's integral to the support and promotion of many tiny devs who are trying to get a leg up. For crying out loud, it's more dev-friendly than gaf in some very important ways. I don't always agree with their actual journalism, their snarky attitudes, and a lot of the sloppiness over there in general (what site doesn't have such issues?) but I do appreciate their existence and what they have done for not only the indie DIY community, as well as the gamers who want to know more about & be able to directly support that side of things.

As for this guy in particular, I'll agree with the poster who says "his twitter comments/stance is his own and should be taken as such." I don't agree with them either, or his dismissive attitude, but it important to appreciate the value that his site has, in spite of it. It is definitely unfortunate when you see someone in such a prominent position displaying such a disrespectful attitude in a public fashion, I guess the world is full of very rich people who can do and say whatever the hell they feel like with little to no retribution, this is not news :/

Kickstarter, I've had my eye on this for a couple of years and as a developer I've strongly considered using it as well. I've seen lots of impressive hits and misses, overall I appreciate what the concept means and I think it can be an extremely useful tool for a small developer, if they know what they are in for (see the "backfiring" of the Star Command story, for starters). Personally, I'd shy away from using it considering the inherent politics which have kinda blown up following the Double Fine thing, but there's still a lot of worth in such a thing.. we'll see. You can count me as one who's definitely tired of hearing it spouted as a buzzword all over the place, that's for sure - and I absolutely predict of failed Kickstarters/butthurt communities all over the place once this first big wave comes crashing down. There's your michaeljacksonpopcorn.gif

Republique, I've heard of the KS for some time, never heard of the developer/his/story until now, and I've just watched the trailer a moment ago. It looks pretty rad, and I appreciate what he is trying to do! Very impressive, world-changing stuff honestly. But the reason even I was dismissive of the project was the same reason that many people expect it might fail - enormous price tag, unknown guy, that was honestly enough to keep me from even looking at his trailer until this thread prompted me to. I wish Ryan & his team the best, and it would be great if this game came out, but I really think this particular campaign is doomed. It's just asking way too much.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
In this we are comrades. Stay vigilant, tovarisch!

Editor's Note: Tovarisch means silly billy.

That's a lie! I don't even have a decent pc!

I think the real gold is that we don't buy games. Nope. I don't buy games. I definitely don't buy 800 games over 25 years. Nope. Not me. I definitely don't import lesser known Japanese RPGs and then create a thread on GAF to host my impressions.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Dev friendly? That doesn't count if it's only to people they decide to like out of nowhere (weird as it is when they don't really know the people behind the games either way) considering this one clearly decided against doing that for Republique's devs, as willing as they were to work with him despite the abuse. If it worked out for you and others, cool, but it's still sad one has to rely on selfish children with petty motives to get some promotion in the touch gaming community. Even if it works out more often than not.

I don't think the price tag is enormous either... Noone is asked to pay $500k out of their pocket for it... That's just the sum total...

Of course it's more expensive than the average iOS game but, well, if you want higher production values (or otherwise something not many games offer, like say, the depth in Spiderweb CRPGs), you can't make do with a buck. That world changing stuff you mentioned doesn't come for free. I doubt they expect it to become an Angry Birds phenomenon, just to carve a decent niche for themselves. Which doesn't seem to be working out but oh well. If it fails they can always make a flash game next. Sadly.

I didn't expect to see a developer with that attitude either. Potential buyers, sure, but it's one thing to not be interested enough to back it or even buy it upon release and a whole other thing to refuse to even look at any of it because you think they ask for too much money based on something as superficial as the intended platform and before seeing what they're asking it for.

Just saying I found this weird, not judging.

Also, I'm pretty sure the initial bullshit were on the TA site, not just this douche's twitter.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
It's always weird that when people are called out on being jerks, instead of realizing or showing some kind of remorse, they lash out as even bigger cunts. It doesn't make sense at all. People can't be that stupid.

The ego defending itself.

I just looked up Republique and I don't understand the "it's so unoriginal it's just like Metal Gear Solid" argument that Coal is making. It's a stealth game where you control electronics and security systems, not the character. Other than like, Lifeline, I can't think of that many other "second-person" action games, though I'm sure there are other examples.

If anything, I'm reminded of Heavy Rain.

and some of the comments still being made in this thread are just sad, man. The ultimate "haters gonna hate" thread.

I'm trying to decide which thread has brought out the worst in GAFers most: Vita thread or Republique thread?

The ego defending itself.
Id and Ego defending Super Ego.

The Jim Sterling "comparison" was ONE throwaway comment by one person as far as I saw, so I'm not sure why that person generalizes it as "they."
keepin' it classy.

My vote goes to any thread having to do with iOS. It's like reading a topic on GameFAQs at times.
I will accept this amendment.

If anything, I'm reminded of Heavy Rain.

and some of the comments still being made in this thread are just sad, man. The ultimate "haters gonna hate" thread.

I'm trying to decide which thread has brought out the worst in GAFers most: Vita thread or Republique thread?

Id and Ego defending Super Ego.

My vote goes to any thread having to do with iOS. It's like reading a topic on GameFAQs at times.

wondermega

Dev friendly? That doesn't count if it's only to people they decide to like out of nowhere (weird as it is when they don't really know the people behind the games either way) considering this one clearly decided against doing that for Republique's devs, as willing as they were to work with him despite the abuse. If it worked out for you and others, cool, but it's still sad one has to rely on selfish children with petty motives to get some promotion in the touch gaming community. Even if it works out more often than not.
Yeah it is very friendly in general, I mean anyone can easily sign up for a membership and begin posting/promoting their stuff over their forums immediately with no restrictions (the results that might - or might not - happen due to how one does that is a different matter, of course, but that is dependent on the ability & knowhow of the dev). As for getting editorial coverage, that's certainly a different story. I've met Eli and several other web journalists, and I have my opinions on them which range across the spectrum - I'll just say that some of them are particularly friendly and helpful, while others are kinda too cool for school, and that's not gonna be limited to games journalism anyway.

I don't think the price tag is enormous either... Noone is asked to pay $500k out of their pocket for it... That's just the sum total...

Of course it's more expensive than the average iOS game but, well, if you want higher production values (or otherwise something not many games offer, like say, the depth in Spiderweb CRPGs), you can't make do with a buck. That world changing stuff you mentioned doesn't come for free. I doubt they expect it to become an Angry Birds phenomenon, just to carve a decent niche for themselves. Which doesn't seem to be working out but oh well. If it fails they can always make a flash game next. Sadly.

I agree, the price isn't expensive considering what they want to make (hell, it's not really as much as they'd likely need by a longshot!) But given the context of what they are being compared to - lots of iOS games seek funding in the tens of thousands, not the hundreds of thousands. Again, I was judging a book by it's cover (why wouldn't I) so I thought it was a tall order for them to have such an expectation, with this combo of a name I hadn't heard of/unproven team with no release history/iOS game.

I didn't expect to see a developer with that attitude either. Potential buyers, sure, but it's one thing to not be interested enough to back it or even buy it upon release and a whole other thing to refuse to even look at a video because you think they ask for too much money based on something as superficial as the intended platform and before seeing what they're asking it for.

I didn't go out of my way to refuse to look at the video out of spite or something - I hopped over to the page once or twice and wasn't compelled to click on it based on what I was already looking at. This is the big problem with promoting anything these days, there's so much noise and not enough signal if you get my drift. All the time I talk with lots of other developers about things that I think are pretty well-known projects and they have no idea what I am talking about.. there's simply not enough time in the day for everyone to keep on top of everything (and maintain productivity on top of it)!

Just saying I found this weird, not judging.

Also, I'm pretty sure the initial bullshit were on the TA site, not just this douche's twitter.

Agreed, from the looks of things the TA guy is just fed up with the politics and lashing out, not fair to the Republique team but hopefully it will turn around and ironically get more press and therefore more funding for this game. Hey, it got me to watch the vid :)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It's always weird that when people are called out on being jerks, instead of realizing or showing some kind of remorse, they lash out as even bigger cunts. It doesn't make sense at all. People can't be that stupid.
Yeah, I've never understood it either. But I usually don't mix with fundamentally douchey people, so that might be it.

Roto13

I think it's hilarious that the EIC of an iPhone gaming site is accusing GAF of being too hardcore to buy games. Both because that makes no sense and because there's a massive chunk of iPhone gamers who think anything more than a dollar or two for any app/game is a ripoff.

I've probably spent more on Ace Attorney games than the average Touch Arcade user has spent on iOS games.

Zia

Since when is Touch Arcade a "good" site? Poor writing, over enthusiastic coverage, garish design and though they have pretty broad coverage it's because it's all regurgitated PR. "The number one iOS gaming site." Number one in numbers? Good, he might be able to get a job at IGN in the future. But even they're hiring talented people like Justin Davis for their iOS coverage now.

Top Bottom