• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Touch Arcade vs. NeoGAF

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
937695-MCPFR3D.png

Eli Hodapp hasn't heard of me. That apparently means my opinion doesn't matter. Good to know. Thanks, Eli.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I am going to start incorporating "silly billy" into my everyday conversation.

The fact that you haven't already shows what a silly billy you are.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I love Kickstarter!

I love PC games!

I love iOS games!

TouchArcade is a great site with reviews I almost always agree with, despite its misguided EIC!

Am I allowed in this thread?

Hell, if anything, we're the ones being sensible and accepting of others here :p

Pyccko

To be fair what is he supposed to say? He has every right to not believe in kickstarter, and he doesn't have to grovel to people to appease them.

It's not really a matter of groveling or appeasement, it's about not acting like a 13 year old when you're supposed to be the editor in chief of a respected(?) website. Be my guest to put down your opinions on Kickstarter or Ryan Payton or whatever, but don't just blow off your jilted readership when they voice their own like you're the fucking king of France.

The fact that you haven't already shows what a silly billy you are.

KEEP THE LOVE ALIVE

thetrin

This and a few other threads does remind me that if I ever reach a position of importance, I should delete my twitter account D:

Unless you're naturally an awful person, you should be fine. Ed Boon's twitter is a laugh a minute. He posts nothing but cool shit and awesome replies to fans all day.

Kai

This guy better watch himself - he is starting to piss some people off that actually post here & enjoy NeoGaf whom are a part of the development community - myself included.

That is not a professional way to demonstrate your thoughts on a project and dismiss readers publicly on twitter of the website. Might want to watch out for some people here that know who really control Touch Arcade's fate and advertising revenue....

I like how, at first, there seems to be some microscopic grain of coherent half-thought behind his ranting (meaning, "Kickstarter is just great for a generation of lazy children with a sense of entitlement about everything. They don't even have to earn their start-up cash!"), but then it all goes to shit and the dude is just trashing Kickstarter, and Republique for no reason at all.

It's like he had an irrational outburst, realized he fucked up since he's somewhat in the public eye (apparently, never heard of the guy or his site), then decided he would take it all the way to save face.

Eli Hodapp hasn't heard of me. That apparently means my opinion doesn't matter. Good to know. Thanks, Eli.

Who is Eli Hodapp? Some random guy whose opinion means nothing, I guess.

pakkit

Banned
This is some reddit level drama baiting.

Why even blow this thing up? We should be above that.

I agree with this man. There was plenty of irrational hate being thrown at Republique since it's reveal as an iOS game. @hodapp is obviously just basking in his 15 minutes of notoriety (see tweet: LAATTIG). I support Republique, however, so more coverage is better, no matter how petty.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Just so we know, what's a good Toucharcade alternative site to get ios gaming news and reviews?

To be completely honest, every iOS website I've been to is absolute dogshit. They praise anything that lands on the platform.

EDGE magazine has been covering iOS games, and their reviews are miles ahead of the rest.

lednerg

So is this his way of trying to impress his inclusive group of super-cool iOS dev buddies or something? "Hey, look at me talking shit to gaffers on Twitter. Aren't I clever? This can't possibly backfire."

remnant

Banned
I'm pretty sure there is some semblance of legal liability that a kickstarter project is subject to in the event that they do not follow through and run off to Mexico with our dollars and cents. I don't know for sure, but I have heard that the approval process is rather rigorous.

Although, now that I've mentioned it, I can't help but think about Fargo and Schafer rubbing each other down with my Benjamins. They're obviously clothed, but it's a shocking image all the same.

The approval process rigorous? For what, starting a kickstarter project? LOL. The app store is more diffucult.

There really isn't much you can do legally if someone runs witht he cash. Maybe a class-action lawsuit if you feel really cheated, and with some of the more expensive promises people are giving on kickstarter i wouldn't be surprised if we hear about one a year or two from now.

thetrin

The approval process rigorous? For what, starting a kickstarter project? LOL. The app store is more diffucult.

There really isn't much you can do legally if someone runs witht he cash. Maybe a class-action lawsuit if you feel really cheated, and with some of the more expensive promises people are giving on kickstarter i wouldn't be surprised if we hear about one a year or two from now.

I DID say I don't know. Anyone with better knowledge is welcome to correct me.

As Charlequin said, though, if someone runs away with the cash, that's not a problem with the kickstarter model. That's a problem with video games. Kickstarter has been healthy and productive for three years now without incident.

remnant

Banned
He doesn't have to be a complete and utter turd about it in a public forum, either.
"HAHAHAHA Peace out Bro" Wow what a monster.

....wait this isn't turning into one of those witch hunt threads where people blow everything out of proportion, is it?

remnant

Banned
I DID say I don't know. Anyone with better knowledge is welcome to correct me.

As Charlequin said, though, if someone runs away with the cash, that's not a problem with the kickstarter model. That's a problem with video games. Kickstarter has been healthy and productive for three years now without incident.

None of these problems are unique to kickstarter. Really kickstarter doesn't change anything but increase the pool of initial investors. We've already seen games that use Kickstarter capital along with publisher investments anyway (Takedown)

If you have a problem with KS, you should really have a problem with venture capital and investment in general.

thetrin

"HAHAHAHA Peace out Bro" Wow what a monster.

....wait this isn't turning into one of those witch hunt threads where people blow everything out of proportion, is it?

You're right, because there's nothing in between being a complete jerk and being a paragon of virtue.

There's nothing stopping him from simply saying "I'm sorry you feel that way. I don't really like what Kickstarter does, but you're welcome to believe what you want." (except maybe the Twitter character limit).

He doesn't have to act like a child to get his point across. This thread probably wouldn't even exist if he had diffused the whole debate quickly like an adult instead of throwing the internet equivalent of a tantrum the minute he realized other people might not agree with him.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I wish there was some way to bait this guy and Paul Christoforos to tweet each other and get them both stuck in a recursive insult loop.

remnant

Banned
Go read the OP, smart guy.

I'm not responding to what he said earlier.

You're right, because there's nothing in between being a complete jerk and being a paragon of virtue.

There's nothing stopping him from simply saying "I'm sorry you feel that way. I don't really like what Kickstarter does, but you're welcome to believe what you want." (except maybe the Twitter character limit).

He doesn't have to act like a child to get his point across.
maybe i'm reading this wrong but "bro" jump on his twitter to tell him off, not the other way around. "Peace out, Bro" is not a huge insult and shouldn't be treated as such.

He could have more tact and people could decide they have better things to do with their time than run to his twitter and tell him they are done visiting his site.
becuase that isn't immature at all
It's not like he wouldn't notice when the hits start going down.

thetrin

I'm not responding to what he said earlier.

maybe i'm reading this wrong but "bro" jump on his twitter to tell him off, not the other way around. "Peace out, Bro" is not a huge insult and shouldn't be treated as such.

He could have more tact and people could decide they have better things to do with their time than run to his twitter and tell him they are done visiting his site.
becuase that isn't immature at all
It's not like he wouldn't notice when the hits start going down.

There's nothing immature about a customer verbalizing to the service provider that they're dissatisfied with the content provided to them for X reason.

And I was talking more about what he said to me, which was essentially "I don't know who you are, so I don't give a shit what you think". I don't know how NOT to be insulted by his response. I thought I was rather fair in my post.

A simple "I'm sorry you feel that way" would have gone a long long way. Being a cock to me solved nothing.

So is this his way of trying to impress his inclusive group of super-cool iOS dev buddies or something? "Hey, look at me talking shit to gaffers on Twitter. Aren't I clever? This can't possibly backfire."

Who is the secret Cabal of iOS devs? Are they so super cool and secret that gamers don't know what they do or make?

I can't fathom why this is a big deal, or why this deserves a thread. Is it because Payton posts here and he's garnered a vehement defence force?

lednerg

Who is the secret Cabal of iOS devs? Are they so super cool and secret that gamers don't know what they do or make?

He's pretty much a James Bond villain, except instead of existing in a man-made volcano, he's got a game review website. He can say or do whatever he feels with impunity because he knows his sycophantic henchmen have his back. I mean, that's the only thing that makes logical sense here.

BigDug13

I'm pretty sure that if a thing like kickstarted existed back in the day, then someone wanting to make a game would have gone that route instead of borrowing money from family and friends.

People are just using the technology of the day to do more. It's not about entitlement.

Though the parallels between kickstarter and superpacs is funny. Pay a superpac hoping the backed politician makes decisions you like. Pay kickstarter hoping the backed developer makes the game you like.

thetrin

I can't fathom why this is a big deal, or why this deserves a thread. Is it because Payton posts here and he's garnered a vehement defence force?

Maybe because he's a hardworking dev that liquidated his life savings to make what he calls his dream game, and doesn't deserve to be needlessly lambasted for using a website for its intended purpose?

Though the parallels between kickstarter and superpacs is funny. Pay a superpac hoping the backed politician makes decisions you like. Pay kickstarter hoping the backed developer makes the game you like.

That's really not the same. A Superpac isn't allowed direct contact with the politician it represents. On the other hand, every kickstarter pledge has unprecedented access to the development team, either through Kickstarter itself, or through the dev's own website.

soultron

Banned
So aside from Hodapp's written refusal to give KS projects light on TA, did he publicly bash Republique by using TA as a soapbox and Ryan Peyton as an example? I see the vague rant where he doesn't specifically mention Republique.

Although he's being a bit embarrassing, it's his personal twitter account, and unless it's linked to the site/most of his readership follows him on twitter, I don't see what the problem is about expressing his opinion there, removed from TA itself.

I'm someone who's totally down for Republique and think RP is a swell guy, but why not just let Hodapp do his thing? It's his own opinion however embarrassing it is.

Although he's being a bit embarrassing, it's his personal twitter account, and unless it's linked to the site/most of his readership follows him on twitter, I don't see what the problem is about expressing his opinion there, removed from TA itself.

Of course he's allowed to do it. It's just that he's being a cunt, and there's apparently no rational explanation or reasoning for his behavior. It's flat-out odd and fascinating to watch, like a train wreck.

So aside from Hodapp's written refusal to give KS projects light on TA, did he publicly bash Republique by using TA as a soapbox and Ryan Peyton as an example? I see the vague rant where he doesn't specifically mention Republique.

I'm someone who's totally down for Republique and think RP is a swell guy, but why not just let Hodapp do his thing? It's his own opinion however embarrassing it is.
There's no problem in anyone else expressing their opinion of not wanting anything to do with TouchArcade anymore either.

thetrin

If you go to Arne Meyer's web page, he expressly writes that his opinions are his own and do not represent the opinions of his coworkers or the company he works for.

On the other hand, when people suggested that Hodapp should write up SOMETHING about Republique (negative or positive, just for exposure), he refused. That's refusing on a journalistic level, not on a personal level.

I agree that this thread is all super dramatic and such, but all the same, I just wanted to answer your question.

(also, he's being a huge cunt about the whole thing. To what end is a mystery)

Top Bottom