• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toxic Fandom, Online Outrage and The Beautiful Game. Why YOU have more power than you think.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
After 3 years of demands from the snydercut movement labeled toxic by the media, WB gave Zack Snyder $70 million to finish up the movie.
After just a couple of weeks of online outrage labeled as whining and bitching by some gaffers, Jim Ryan agreed to leave the PS3 and Vita stores open.
After just a day of online outrage, Man City and Chelsea are reportedly out of this ridiculous Super League that threatened an entire sport.

There is always this tendency in the media to label everything as toxic while the fanboys tend to dismiss everything as useless whining and that we should love it or leave it. A lot of that went on here recently as Sony fans got outraged by studio and store closures. We were just told to accept it because no one gives a fuck about a bunch of nerds on gaf and reddit.

Well, let this be proof that your voice does matter. Complaining isnt bitching. And fandom isn't toxic. Literally every fanbase on the internet will go out and send out death threats. I once heard that an Elevator fan community was harrassing each other. The media labeling the Snydercut movement as toxic was extremely disingenuous, and we cannot fall into the same trap.

Fans have a lot more clout than we think. We killed Kinect and MS's always online DRM plans. These football fans are about to kill a $4.2 billion league. We may not get everything, but that's just life. Dont stop fighting. Dont become cynical. Nothing embarrassing about being passionate about dumb shit like football, movies and video games. These corporations feed off of your apathy.

#RestoreTheShawnLaydenVerse

Last edited:

Soodanim

I think the problem is when every little thing inspires some lonely little piss ants to whine about it in a "There's dozens of us!"-adjacent display on their social media of choice, it dilutes the whole concept of the people speaking up. It's only the bigger things that are really worth kicking up a fuss about, and they're usually not about drumming up support because people are innately against it.

The Snyder Cut is the most unlikely of the three examples, and I think that was partially because of the elements involved in the story like Snyder's personal problems. He was both the underdog and the potential hero of what was deemed a failure, and eventually it gained enough ground.

The others were much more immediate responses from people en masse because their respective scenarios was people pushing too far. Sony was a couple weeks and I didn't even know it happened until this thread so I am a little surprised, but the reasoning behind it all is sound. Super League was only a couple days (damn near straight away) from fans, along with backing from ex players both independently and within current media. Such a money hungry move in an already tainted sport was never going to be well received and all backlash is deserved.

ScarceUnluckyHoopoe-size_restricted.gif

yurinka

Well, I think it's ok to mention you dislike certain things and to mention you'd prefer it in another way while explaining your reasoning and being civil. That's fine, it's fan feedback, positive and constructive, and can be passionate. Something that it's effective when massive.

Corporations mostly consider the 'wallet votes', but also check out customer feedback and from time to time listen to it, specially when it aligns with their strategy, goals and fits in their available budgets and resources.

A different story are death threats, insults and random threats. That's toxic and we should avoid that because it only gets you banned and ignored, and maybe only makes some CM (or random person if receives them on a personal account) to have a bad day.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I think the problem is when every little thing inspires some lonely little piss ants to whine about it in a "There's dozens of us!"-adjacent display on their social media of choice, it dilutes the whole concept of the people speaking up. It's only the bigger things that are really worth kicking up a fuss about, and they're usually not about drumming up support because people are innately against it.

The Snyder Cut is the most unlikely of the three examples, and I think that was partially because of the elements involved in the story like Snyder's personal problems. He was both the underdog and the potential hero of what was deemed a failure, and eventually it gained enough ground.

The others were much more immediate responses from people en masse because their respective scenarios was people pushing too far. Sony was a couple weeks and I didn't even know it happened until this thread so I am a little surprised, but the reasoning behind it all is sound. Super League was only a couple days (damn near straight away) from fans, along with backing from ex players both independently and within current media. Such a money hungry move in an already tainted sport was never going to be well received and all backlash is deserved.
Yeah, people tend to bitch and moan about everything online, but there is typically a difference between those professionally outraged folks over at era and twitter, and stuff like this. TBH, I dont even want Days Gone 2 anymore. if Sony makes it great, but if they dont, thats ok. The studio is alive and isnt doing support work. That's good enough for me. At the end of the day, it's a business decision, but I will never shit on fans signing petitions for it either.

I dont think Microsoft goes out and buys all those studios if they arent pushed by criticism of their first party output in the Xbox one days. I agree that there is a fine line between whining and entitlement, but as long as people arent cunts about it, it's never a bad thing to make your opinions known.

Top Bottom