• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TPC: Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are 3DS exclusives, not due for Switch

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Could make sense that they're saving the Switch game reveal for E3, and they're just getting the 3DS ones out of the way?

I still think Stars (only on Switch) with more features, is incoming, in 2018, possibly Spring. Ultra Moon and Ultra Sun are the games will they will make the most bank due to the install base.

Stars will act as another incentive to buy a Switch, while offering more features, while Ultra Moon & Sun are there to avoid losing out on profits that the 3DS can bring in from users who don't want to buy another system just yet.
Okay... But why did Eurogamer get the release date wrong? They said Stars is coming in 2017, not next year. And how did their source just happen to know about Stars, which is not coming out in 2017 like they said it would, but later, but yet not know about the games that are actually releasing this year at all (Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon)? That's just really stretching it.

At this point, it's pretty safe to say that at the very least, Eurogamer got the release date for "Stars" wrong. And they're presenting no evidence to keep believing any of the rest, with the existence of Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon know and "Stars" nowhere to be seen. If the source is truly credible, why would they get the release date wrong and know about "Stars" but not these games? That just doesn't really add up.

It's dead.

ChrisD

And what about the people who sold their 3ds when buying a Switch?

Switch ain't a dedicated handheld or console, and we had no idea what kind of games it will get aside from what was at the big January presentation. So I'd say the people who sold their 3DS jumped the gun. Shoot, I'd say most people who sell any older system before the newest one has been out for a while fall into the group of jumping the gun.

Don't sell old systems unless you're fine losing out on the ability to play its titles.

Yukinari

This is like if Sony released the PS4, then announced uncharted 4 as a PS3 exclusive.

The frame rate was already horrible on sun and moon, not to mention 240p. I'm just so ready to move on already. 😢

Thats the best part, i dont expect the performance to get better.

Not saying Sun/Moon was Hyrule Warriors Legends tier but its unacceptable.

TI82

Banned
Thats the best part, i dont expect the performance to get better.

Not saying Sun/Moon was Hyrule Warriors Legends tier but its unacceptable.

It's so bad and didn't even have support for new 3ds enhancements. Like what is the point of being partially owned by Nintendo if you don't maximize on the hardware !?

So is there still a possibility of Stars for E3 or is that dead?

Could make sense that they're saving the Switch game reveal for E3, and they're just getting the 3DS ones out of the way?
Pokemon games don't get announced at E3. They do their own separate thing. That's the whole reason that the Pokemon Nintendo Direct exists in the first place. 0% chance anything will be announced at E3 that aren't these games.

MattAces

Pokemon games don't get announced at E3. They do their own separate thing. That's the whole reason that the Pokemon Nintendo Direct exists in the first place. 0% chance anything will be announced at E3 that aren't these games.

Until they throw a curveball this year and BAM!!!!!
I'm just doing this to myself am I :(

Okay... But why did Eurogamer get the release date wrong? They said Stars is coming in 2017, not next year. And how did their source just happen to know about Stars, which is not coming out in 2017 like they said it would, but later, but yet not know about the games that are actually releasing this year at all (Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon)? That's just really stretching it.

At this point, it's pretty safe to say that at the very least, Eurogamer got the release date for "Stars" wrong. And they're presenting no evidence to keep believing any of the rest, with the existence of Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon know and "Stars" nowhere to be seen. If the source is truly credible, why would they get the release date wrong and know about "Stars" but not these games? That just doesn't really add up.

It's dead.

Well, Stars wouldn't be the first game to be delayed because of whatever reasons. I think that's the smallest problem. Not mentioning Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon may also have some reasons. Maybe the source really didn't know about it or maybe the source wasn't really hyped about it and only talked about Stars. Just because Nintendo didn't announce Stars today doesn't mean that Eurogamer lied to us or that they were fooled.

Switch ain't a dedicated handheld or console, and we had no idea what kind of games it will get aside from what was at the big January presentation. So I'd say the people who sold their 3DS jumped the gun. Shoot, I'd say most people who sell any older system before the newest one has been out for a while fall into the group of jumping the gun.

Don't sell old systems unless you're fine losing out on the ability to play its titles.

Some people live on a budget.

I would wish upon a star
But that star, it doesn't shine
So read my book, with a boring ending
A short story of a lonely guy
Who fell behind

Wildo09

This is like if Sony released the PS4, then announced uncharted 4 as a PS3 exclusive.

The frame rate was already horrible on sun and moon, not to mention 240p. I'm just so ready to move on already. 😢

Isn't this what happened with Gran Turismo 6?

Oersted

I know you are trolling, so sorry for replying, but this is like Uncharted 3 getting a release for PS3, with DLC included.

TI82

Banned
I know you are trolling, so sorry for replying, but this is like Uncharted 3 getting a release for PS3, with DLC included.

Wtf? I'm not trolling, I love Pokemon and stopped playing sun and moon when stars was rumored. People being annoyed at Nintendo is not trolling.

sirap

Glad I kept my modded n3DS around. Ain't no way I'm playing another 3D Pokemon game without the speed boost..

Gravidee

Wasn't GameFreak supposed to be working on a Pokemon Switch title of some sort mentioned in interviews? I guess we now know it's not Ultra Sun/Moon, but if that's the case then what is it?

MattAces

Wasn't GameFreak supposed to be working on a Pokemon Switch title of some sort mentioned in interviews? I guess we now know it's not Ultra Sun/Moon, but if that's the case then what is it?

Pokemon Rumble Switch let's do this. It's the only series that appears in every home console for the past gens

Oersted

Wtf? I'm not trolling, I love Pokemon and stopped playing sun and moon when stars was rumored. People being annoyed at Nintendo is not trolling.

I did not say people in general are trolling. I said you are, sorry for the missunderstanding.

Also, care to explain why you imagined this is like Uncharted 4 getting released for PS3?

Well, Stars wouldn't be the first game to be delayed because of whatever reasons. I think that's the smallest problem. Not mentioning Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon may also have some reasons. Maybe the source really didn't know about it or maybe the source wasn't really hyped about it and only talked about Stars. Just because Nintendo didn't announce Stars today doesn't mean that Eurogamer lied to us or that they were fooled.

Like I said above, I really don't envy leakers. Get one thing wrong, even if your information was 100% correct at the time you reported it, and the entire Internet will accuse you of lying or being duped by fake sources, without any way you can prove otherwise.

Eurogamer is credible enough that I have very little doubt that their information was correct as of last November, when they reported it, but six and a half months is enough time for plans to change. But people will believe what they want to believe about them.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I still think Stars (only on Switch) is incoming, in 2018, possibly Spring. Ultra Moon and Ultra Sun are the games will they will make the most bank due to the install base.

Stars will act as another incentive to buy a Switch, looking better & offering more features, while Ultra Moon & Sun are there to avoid losing out on profits that the 3DS can bring in from users who don't want to buy another system just yet.

You would be setting yourself up for a disappointment as Ultra Sun and Moon is "Pokémon Star" and is signaling the end of a generation as there is no more new undiscovered secret left to discover in Alola or in gen 7 as the final event Pokémon, Marshadow as been announced and will appear in the movie this year, Necrozma was announced when Sun and Moon launched and is shown to be the key of unlocking a new form for Solgaleo and Lunala thus being the final nail in the coffin of "Pokémon Star" releasing on the Switch.

The Eurogamer rumour is wrong and the fanbase should have not blindly let themselves into believing that it was true.

Would it have been so hard to make it crossgen? Lost a sale from me, not going to play another Pokemon game on 3DS.

Sun and Moon was the fastest selling Pokémon game, so Ultra Sun and Moon will do just fine in sales even if you don't buy a copy.

"Pokémon Stars" never existed in the first place, it was a codename that the fanbase gave for a potential third game for gen 7.

Ultra Sun and Moon is what we are getting and if the fanbase really want to see a main series Pokémon game on the Switch then they are gonna have to wait for generation 8 which could either release in 2018 or 2019.

Fbh

Well one more reason to wait before I get a switch.

Everytime I see it (briefly) available in a local store I think about getting one and every time I'm reminded about the fact that Zelda is literally the only game on it that interests me (not saying there aren't other good games, they just arent interesting to me).

As with my 3DS and wiiU, getting a cheap bundle 2 years after release is the way to go.

farisr

It's dead.
So a summary of your post is "why did they get the release date wrong" over and over again and why didn't they mention 3DS versions in the leak?

Games get delayed and plans change all the time. Very possible. It could be for business reasons, it could be for development reasons. And I can see both happening for a potential Switch title. Nintendo and TPC love to milk their fans. They wouldn't get as many sales if both a switch title and 3ds titles come out at the same time. That could be a reason. Or, the Switch version simply was taking longer than expected to develop (or heck could even be announced for Nov 2017 release still at their E3 direct for all we know)

As for the 3DS versions, perhaps Eurogamer only heard of the Switch version from certain sources and only asked specifically about that "is a pokemon sun/moon sequel coming to the switch?" and were getting direct answers rather than further elaborations.

We already see a post in this thread of a 4chan post from April talking about three new versions of Pokemon Sun/Moon stuff in the works, with two of them being for 3DS and the third being for the Switch and they got the titling for Ultra Moon and Ultra Sun in there as well.

So not dead just yet.

Tall4Life

Like I said above, I really don't envy leakers. Get one thing wrong, even if your information was 100% correct at the time you reported it, and the entire Internet will accuse you of lying or being duped by fake sources, without any way you can prove otherwise.

Eurogamer is credible enough that I have very little doubt that their information was correct as of last November, when they reported it, but six and a half months is enough time for plans to change. But people will believe what they want to believe about them.
It's kind of hard to believe that they would cancel a game like that

0.00000001% chance.

I'd love to say that I think Nintendo is massively trolling us but honestly its a very Nintendo thing to do. They never give us what we want.

This direct reminded me so much of that FF7 port announcement at PSX a few years ago. The SE exec. comes out, talks about how great FF7 is then announces they are putting the game on PS4 and the crowd is losing it only to find out what they meant was that they were doing a freaking port for PS4, same engine, same graphics. Now of course later we did get the FF7 remake is happening at e3 but compare how that went with this direct.

He immediately starts talking about Switch and all of us are losing our damn minds with excitement, then he says the 'first' game for the Switch will be Pokken so you get a bit disappointed but yeah he said 'first' theres gotta be something more right!?

Oh then wait there is Sun and Moon locations OH THIS MUST BE IT!!! Oh... wait... those are 3DS graphics... Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon...? *sees 3DS system only listed* ... Really!?

So at this point most of us are pretty disappointed, but then sudden GOLD AND SILVER VC! AWESOME Okay thats pretty great but wait... where is Crystal? What!? JUST Gold and Silver?

Oh its over. So all we know is Pokken is getting a port to Switch with the DLC the Wii U version should have already gotten, Ultra Sun/Moon aren't even sequels 'alternate stories' whatever the hell that ends up meaning (it sounds extremely underwhelming without more information a sequel could be really interesting but its not even that) and are exclusive to 3DS (for some stupid ass reason they can't even port this shit to Switch so at least Switch owners can at least play the games on there) and then to top it off the easiest part putting G/S/C on 3DS VC they can't even do right since they are only doing G/S.

This direct sucked, Ultra Sun/Moon might have been interesting but even the way they were revealed was stupid. It's in the middle of the freaking Pokken trailer, no fanfare or anything as if its not important for the games to have their own trailer just throw it in suddenly right as the Pokken trailer is ending. Oh yeah and of course don't bother to even give the slightest of details on what an 'alternate story' might actually be.

I don't know how you watched this Direct and weren't disappointed and it certainly scares me for next week and the e3 direct.

Oersted

Developer Game Freak will bring Pokémon to the platform, while Nintendo’s first party titles include the previously announced Zelda game – Breath of the Wild – and
a new Mario game. All three products are scheduled to appear within the first six months of the machine’s life.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/pok-mon-mario-and-zelda-headline-nx-dream-line-up/0170678

The Pokemon Company boss Tsunekazu Ishihara has confirmed the company will develop games for Nintendo's next console, codenamed NX.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/09/20/pokemon-company-ceo-confirms-support-for-nintendo-nx

Indeed, Switch will be the first Nintendo "home" console to receive a main Pokémon adventure. It only took 20 years.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-18-nintendo-switch-will-get-pokemon-sun-and-moon-version

Game Freak is recruiting for a new console development project and they’re in need of 3D CG designers with experience on Wii U and PS Vita level character models using animation and modeling software Maya.

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/03/2...orizon-game-freak-recruiting-console-project/

Pokemon Stars (or Eclipse) on Switch during its first holiday would certainly be much bigger news than anything else shown in that Direct. Oh god, I'm so sorry for feeding into this speculation.

Hypothetically, if CNN and the NYT, WSJ are saying Xbox has Scorpio, PS4 has all these games like Spiderman for Xmas, but Nintendo has Fire Emblem, Mario, Pokemon, Skyrim, Fifa, NBA, and COD. Again, all this is Hypothetical, but that is a STRONG counter for Nintendo, and will gather alot of attention in the minds of the casuals.

Wildo09

0.00000001% chance.

I'd love to say that I think Nintendo is massively trolling us but honestly its a very Nintendo thing to do. They never give us what we want.

This direct reminded me so much of that FF7 port announcement at PSX a few years ago. The SE exec. comes out, talks about how great FF7 is then announces they are putting the game on PS4 and the crowd is losing it only to find out what they meant was that they were doing a freaking port for PS4, same engine, same graphics. Now of course later we did get the FF7 remake is happening at e3 but compare how that went with this direct.

He immediately starts talking about Switch and all of us are losing our damn minds with excitement, then he says the 'first' game for the Switch will be Pokken so you get a bit disappointed but yeah he said 'first' theres gotta be something more right!?

Oh then wait there is Sun and Moon locations OH THIS MUST BE IT!!! Oh... wait... those are 3DS graphics... Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon...? *sees 3DS system only listed* ... Really!?

So at this point most of us are pretty disappointed, but then sudden GOLD AND SILVER VC! AWESOME Okay thats pretty great but wait... where is Crystal? What!? JUST Gold and Silver?

Oh its over. So all we know is Pokken is getting a port to Switch with the DLC the Wii U version should have already gotten, Ultra Sun/Moon aren't even sequels 'alternate stories' whatever the hell that ends up meaning (it sounds extremely underwhelming without more information a sequel could be really interesting but its not even that) and are exclusive to 3DS (for some stupid ass reason they can't even port this shit to Switch so at least Switch owners can at least play the games on there) and then to top it off the easiest part putting G/S/C on 3DS VC they can't even do right since they are only doing G/S.

This direct sucked, Ultra Sun/Moon might have been interesting but even the way they were revealed was stupid. It's in the middle of the freaking Pokken trailer, no fanfare or anything as if its not important for the games to have their own trailer just throw it in suddenly right as the Pokken trailer is ending. Oh yeah and of course don't bother to even give the slightest of details on what an 'alternate story' might actually be.

I don't know how you watched this Direct and weren't disappointed and it certainly scares me for next week and the e3 direct.

Man, some of you are really losing your minds lol.

Edit: I seem to remember a similar reaction when Black 2 and White 2 were announced. Everyone wanted them on 3DS.

Cartho

It just seems a little bizarre really. I'm over the initial foaming rage and now that I've killed a few kittens I am back to my zen like state.

1) The argument that "Oh they were NEVER going to release it on Switch LOL don't be an idiot they will go for the install base" falls flat on its arse in my opinion - they could have released it on both. Numerous developers have spoken at length about how easy it is to port to Switch. Capcom managed it with Monster Hunter and, not only that, also managed to get online cross play working. It WOULD have been possible to have a Switch version which could online crossplay / trade with 3DS and locally battle / trade with other switches.

So, we know it is easy to port games to Switch. As GF have chosen not to do it (at least as far as we know) there are, to me, two possibilities:

A) They couldn't port it because they simply didn't have the technical skill to accomplish it in over a year. Don't forget if they were going to port it they could have been working on the port since a good few months before Sun and Moon were launched - they would have probably had seriously early access to devkits as they're one of Nintendo's main "2nd party" developers. This seems unlikely.

B) They deliberately made the choice not to port them because.... They couldn't be arsed? This strikes me as much more of a possibility. They are going to join the "HD generation", years after it even became a thing incidentally, but they're going to need to be dragged, kicking and screaming, into it. They've always gone for the comfortable, easy option.

2) Where did EG's initial rumour even come from? Not only that, where did the MCV rumour about it come from? EG have been extremely successful with their Switch rumours which suggests that they must have some decent sources. I could understand it if they got most of the details right but were off in certain areas, like Pokemon Stars was announced etc but for Switch and 3DS rather than just Switch. However it's totally wrong - pretty much everything they said hasn't actually happened. So either their sources were having them on or some pretty major changes took place in development.

Given that EG would almost certainly have coroborated their info, they even said in their piece that they had it on good authority from "multiple sources", it is puzzling that they could have been this "wrong".

3) All of the cryptic hints about "looking to the stars" are strange. We've had these hints even from people at GF and there was all of that merch that was unveiled which, I'm pretty sure, had the caption "Look upon the stars" or something similar. Were they just trolling? Or is there something else planned? Could Stars actually be the codename for the proper next gen Pokemon, but that we won't see it till Winter 2018?

4) This direct was odd. Not only did they have a headline announcement of Pokken, a fighting game, just as they're trying to heavily promote ARMS, another fighting game which is coming out soon, they also then had a very uninspired announcement for some 3DS games which don't really seem all that different to the last ones. I mean there didn't seem to be any really groundbreaking stuff with Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.

At the Fire Emblem direct they just had a tiny little teaser ending with "Fire Emblem Switch, coming 2018". TPC COULD have done that, however they didn't. We got absolutely no word at all from them about Pokemon on Switch, which strikes me as odd. Even a teaser, a little confirmation that it's in the works - "Pokemon is coming to Switch, Holiday 2018 / Spring 2019", would have got people hyped.

Were they concerned that, given how similar to Sun and Moon US/M are, ANY mention of Pokemon on Switch would totally dominate all conversation?

Oersted

Maximum expectations is a new Pokemon game for switch

Least was the standard combo Green, Crystal, Emerald, Plat etc. - Stars

instead we are getting the same game...but Ultra. So yeah below least of my expectations.

Just for clarification, Im not saying expecting a Pokemon game by Game Freak for Nintendo Switch is wrong.

I'm saying expecting it so early is absurd.

Plasmid

Just for clarification, Im not saying expecting a Pokemon game by Game Freak for Nintendo Switch is wrong.

I'm saying expecting it so early is absurd.

Is it though? Nintendo had the opportunity to make the switch blow up in its first year and they gave us Pokkén lol. Getting those wii U vibes.

Oersted

But not talking about it is really weird. They announced Zelda, SMT X FE, Xenoblade X and even the new SMT so early in development.

Zelda got delays. And everyone bitched about it.

SMT x FE and Xenoblade X were part of the panic Direct when the Wii U momentum was dead.

SMT is not Nintendo in anyway.

Is it though? Nintendo had the opportunity to make the switch blow up in its first year and they gave us Pokkén lol. Getting those wii U vibes.

You will get Zelda, Mario Kart, Arms, Splatoon, 3 Mario and Pokken. And you will like it.

Games need time.

But not talking about it is really weird. They announced Zelda, SMT X FE, Xenoblade X and even the new SMT so early in development.

That January 2013 Direct was pretty transparently Nintendo panicking in response to underwhelming Wii U launch sales, and was deliberately timed for a week or so before they had to report those sales to their shareholders. I can all but guarantee you that it wasn't part of the PR strategy they had planned out before launch.

Nintendo isn't currently under the same pressures with Switch, which is why they've been clear that the E3 presentation will focus mainly (perhaps solely, though I sure hope not) on the current calendar year.

Top Bottom