• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers Devastation , we need more of these collaborations

I don't even remember watching these transformers models as a kid I only remember Optimus prime, sure the game might look blocky and the environments might be repetitive but man this game offers great characters and I got this vibe of playing a Saturday morning cartoon (never had this feeling playing a game before) and let's not forget how awesome is the sound track.

Now, I don't know much about platinum and activision collaborations, but we need more of them.

Hasbro made some cool toys right, didn't they made he man or G i joes?

If so I would love a G I joe in this style of art and action game play.

But why stop there, Thunder cats,silver hawks
Maybe a good Voltron game?

I dunno, surprise me.

Now I know we had some bad games I heard
Ninja tutrles, and legend of kora were subpar, but I honestly hope we get more of these titles, at the very least I would like a switch port of TD or a sequel.

Nice job plat, I give this game an 8.5 out 10

I believe Activision killed off its licensed games branch which means no more PG collaborations.
Hope we see anything from PG soon since there's nothing from them slated to come out in the west anytime soon

As for Transformers, it was pretty fun despite not knowing the source material. Sounds like something fans would get a kick from with the faithful art style and voice acting

Kind of surprised PG didn't get offers for anime adaptations. Like Namco for instance

Drayco21

While I'd rather see High Moon get to continue their Transformers games, they're just a support studio now. Devastation was great, and a sequel following up on its ending would be a day one purchase, but I don't even see that happening.

While we're talking Hasbro franchises, a good G I Joe game is long overdue; someone could do some really fun stuff with it. I'd also buy a Platinum Rom: The Spaceknight, but there's only like 10 people who'd play that game, so...

@MUWANdo

Banned
Since I have some fans od TD here,
What did you guys think of legend kora and ninja turtles, are they really that bad?

Korra is bad by Platinum standards but it's not an awful game, just an obviouly low-budget one. It's a typical licensed anime action game, nothing more.

TMNT is essentially a forced co-op game with MMO-lite bosses which lack the usual Platinum flair and I imagine it's borderline impossible to play online nowadays.

Transformers works because it's heavily derivative of existing Platinum action games and they pretty much just did what they usually do without trying to reinvent the wheel. It's not as good as a "real" Platinum game and the production values are obviously lower but it's decent action game junk food.

It is one of Platinum's best games. It honestly would be perfect if the intrusive RPG mechanics were removed and the ranking system was changed.

I have played it quite extensively. Earning the platinum trophy four times and being the world-record holder for the fastest time to platinum (20 hours 19 minutes); that's the time from when you unlocked the first trophy until you unlocked the last one.

Brilliant game.

It is one of Platinum's best games. It honestly would be perfect if the intrusive RPG mechanics were removed and the ranking system was changed.

I have played it quite extensively. Earning the platinum trophy four times and being the world-record holder for the fastest time to platinum (20 hours 19 minutes); that's the time from when you unlocked the first trophy until you unlocked the last one.

Brilliant game.

Nice.

Let me ask you, I find the slow down unnecessary when you are prompt to transform attack, was this really necessary and don't you think it disrupts the flow of the game a bit?

Or once you've master the game, you don't even notice it anymore do to knowing what attacks work best?

Edit:isn't your avatar the director of mgr?

Nice.

Let me ask you, I find the slow down unnecessary when you are prompt to transform attack, was this really necessary and don't you think it disrupts the flow of the game a bit?

Or once you've master the game, you don't even notice it anymore do to knowing what attacks work best?
I am not sure if it was necessary, but I didn't find it to be unwelcoming.

On the penultimate and ultimate difficulties, enemy aggression is insane. Off-screen attacks happen rampantly, telegraphs are much shorter, more blocking, etc. Those slow-downs as well as Witch-Time (or 'Focus', if memory serves) are things to capitalize on.

I personally never minded it at launch and do not notice now as it always seemed natural. I can see how one would view it as inconsistent, though.

EDIT: Yes, my avatar is Kenji Saito. He also directed Transformers: Devastation and is my favourite director at PlatinumGames. He currently is the game designer for GRANBLUE FANTASY - Project RE: Link, which is why I am anticipating it greatly.

What did you guys think of legend kora and ninja turtles, are they really that bad?

I think Korra is perfectly fine for a budget downloadable game. It's basically just a corridor you run down fighting guys, but the combat system is fun with some decent depth and there's a great boss at the end. I had fun playing it through a few times and getting all the Trophies.

TMNT is the only Platinum game I think is genuinely bad. Like, bad in ways that you can't blame on the budget or the development time; the basic design of the game is crap. Every mission is just a sandbox level where you have to perform a certain number of randomly-generated tasks until the game allows you to fight the boss. These are all tedious busywork like hacking computers (hold the Circle button while dudes spawn), carrying gold bricks (walk slowly while dudes spawn), or just plain old fighting dudes. The combat isn't fun, and the three AI companions on screen at all times make for a terrible mess. Bossfights are like grindy MMO raids, where all you can really do to deal damage is to use all your special moves, switch to another turtle, use all his special moves, and repeat until your cooldown timers finish.

Oh, and if you die to the boss three times you have to start the whole level all over again. I finished the game in just over three hours and honestly I wanted it to end sooner.

Transformers Devastation is far and away the best of Platinum's Activision games. It's like Bayonetta on a budget, with all the best gameplay mechanics pinched from Platinum's other games and combined to form a truly sublime combat system. Saito da gawd.

pity we'll never get another. it was one of the biggest gaming collab surprises for me. got the plat pretty swiftly. also planning to get another on ps3. game is pure fun.

Jintor

It is a really good game. I want to break down the combat system even more at some point. Saur already did a lot of that though

This is a damn good game. I love it, especially since I grew up on Transformers G1 cartoons. I was hoping for a co-op sequel for it, but too bad the division's been closed down.

Transformers Devastation is great fun. The collaboration I'd like PG to do most is with Sega on a Golden Axe or Streets of Rage game.

but if you're only referring to licensed cartoon properties a Mighty Max or Sky Surfer Strike Force game would be pretty neat too.

KiNolin

They did more and it was bad. It's sad, because I would have much prefered a good Turtles game over a good Transformers game.

The ending was pure sequel bait. I was hoping we'd see something by now.

I think they cancelled any plans that they had initially.

jdstorm

Banned

Korra was a bit grindy but overall it was good especially when you had everything levelled up. You felt like the Avatar which was cool. Needing to flawlessly pass some endless runner sections to beat ledgendary though. GTFO

Overall i liked it more then Transformers Devestation but that was partly due to having a greater fondness for the source material.

c0Zm1c

Devastation felt like the Transformers game I'd been waiting most of my life for. The fast and intense fighting isn't exactly in keeping with the lumbering animations of the 1980's cartoon series I remember from my youth but it's never less than immense fun, and for years I've felt that a cel shaded Transformers game could look great, and here, it really does! It's wonderfully authentic. I was overjoyed when the first screenshots of the game appeared!

I do wish Platinum Games had been given the go ahead, with more money and time, to make a much bigger game with a much longer campaign, more varied levels and more playable Transformers, but they did a fantastic job with what they had - there's quite a bit of replay value, and the challenges add a big chunk to the game. It's a shame that a sequel isn't likely to materialise, but I'm glad we at the very least got this game. I don't think we'll ever see a better Transformers game by another studio.

PSqueak

Banned
Now I know we had some bad games I heard
Ninja tutrles, and legend of kora were subpar, but I honestly hope we get more of these titles, at the very least I would like a switch port of TD or a sequel.

Activision axed Highmoon after Deadpool flopped, even tho the studio had under their belt the amazing War for Cybertron and Fall of Cybertron, they axed the studio for ONE bad game.

What makes you think they'd give platinum another go after their record was 1 successful game, 2 flop games?

Top Bottom