• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers: The Last Knight |SPOILER THREAD| The worst movie about cars this year

Link1110

Watching it now. I heard this is really bad even among these movies so I was expecting the room 2 or something.

Seriously, transformers wildlife sanctuary (that's what it seems like)? Robot God? This may actually BE as stupid as the room, workout being as entertaining mind you.

Watching it in China is fun, they replaced some of the product placement, a guy use Kugou for music, and they go on a Chinese site to look at cars. I was shocked they didn't replace the bud light with tsing Tao

And THAT was all out took to get rid of the brain washing? At least furious 8 kept vin diesel being evil going for a while. Here it lasted what? 5 minutes?

And now mecha king Ghidorah is back. Have they made that Godzilla movie yet? Cause they skills

caliph95

I had to go see this last night (No pun intended) and it was an absolute fucking mess of a movie. It was like the first, second and third acts were literally the first, second and third acts from three different movies stuck together.

Anthony Hopkins was a riot though, fantastic dialogue I refuse to believe could have been written by anyone involved in writing the rest of this mess. Worth sitting through the movie for him alone... almost.

Also... what was the point of the little girl? She seemed to have no purpose at all.
I think it was an attempt for the female audience after the popularity of Force awakens

Lothars

This movie was significantly better than the trailers with that being said it was ok at best. I'm surprised that I enjoyed it but I've liked most of the transformers movies. It really did seem like a movie that I'm not sure why they made it.

Dominator

It seems this series will continue the trend of the odd numbered titles being the best. 2 and 4 are absolute shit, but I enjoyed 1 and 3 quite a bit and I liked this one. Its by no means amazing, but I had fun with it and I really enjoyed the third act the most.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
I have to start by disclosing that I have left the movie with about 50 minutes until the end. I didn't had to pee, or grab a drink (a double whiskey would come handy). I just had to leave. Permanent cringe wrinkles were starting to form in my face and neurons were beginning to correlate beautiful imax imagery with what I was actually seeing.

Movies can still be somewhat decent enough even if written by 10 year old's. The issue with this one is the editing and the love affair between the director and every single shot he made, that had to make it into the final cut.

So we have a movie written by a prepubescent mind, edited by a teenage hitting his Dragon Ball Z AMV hormonal phase, directed by a man in love with everything that comes out of his body.

But a movie should be evaluated according to what it tries to achieve, so 10/10.

Daffy Duck

The one thing that got me riled up was the continuous onslaught of "I AM OPRIMUS PRIME!!!!!!!"

I thought Epps was supposed to be in this as well? I didn't notice him.

Also the talk of this being the last one, is that concrete? The reason I ask is I saw a Facebook post on the transformers page saying it was the last one, I understand it's Bay's last one (chuckle, we'll see) and Marky Mark is done, but I thought they were setting it up for sequels and the ending is certainly set up for another film.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/t...ht-box-office-international-china-1202477913/

The latest “Transformers” movie is seeing the lowest domestic opening in franchise history, but overseas numbers tell a different story.

“Transformers: The Last Knight” from Paramount and Hasbro is projected to earn $196.2 million by Sunday from 41 international markets. That, combined with the domestic take of $69.1 million, would put the film’s global opening at $265.3 million.

China is responsible for the bulk of the movie’s earnings.
From 7,200 locations, “The Last Knight” should earn $123.4 million this weekend in the Middle Kingdom — the largest opening for a “Transformers” movie.

well then. Its not a bomb and there'll be sequels!

Snaku

Banned
It seems this series will continue the trend of the odd numbered titles being the best. 2 and 4 are absolute shit, but I enjoyed 1 and 3 quite a bit and I liked this one. Its by no means amazing, but I had fun with it and I really enjoyed the third act the most.

Pretty much how I feel.

Timu

This movie was a piece of fucking shit...

The worst of the franchise which is shocking. Pretty much everything besides the action(some of it), visuals and music is done poorly. Story, editing, pacing, humor, dialog, hell even various characters, it's just so bad. The 1st hour was bad, the 2nd hour was boring(and still bad), and the last 30 minutes is, well...just there. When they got to the mansion I was seriously considering walking out to stop watching the movie, and I usually don't walk out on movies.

This movie is such a complete mess that it's hard to be entertained by it. I just couldn't believe how bad the humor is and why there was so much of it, like, Micheal Bay has to force a joke in every so often to make you laugh but they all pretty much fall flat and it's annoying as fuck. Micheal Bay should stop doing forced humor, it does not work.

The editing is atrocious, like I couldn't believe how he even shot a lot of these scenes together. It felt rushed in many areas and it seems like he had a 3 hour movie but had to cut it down to 2 hours and 30 minutes, which is why it doesn't flow well at times along with the horrible pacing. And the story, well, Micheal Bay didn't even try with this one, it's just all over the place. Why is it so fucking hard to make everything coherent like the 1st one(mostly), it's like he's making it bad on purpose, I mean, who seriously thought it was a good idea? Did anyone read the script? This was terrible!

There's not as much Autobot action compared to previous movies which is surprising, even though that's one of the main reasons we come to see these movies. Most of it is at the end at least, and even then it's not close to what we got with previous movies. I'm not saying it should be mostly Autobot action, just a decent amount of it, and he kinda dropped the ball there.

Overall, this movie felt like wasted potential! In terms of how I rate the movies:

1>3>4=2>5.

As much as I've torn this thing to shreds, I still don't feel as though I have been able to properly quantify how I actually feel about it. Hell, I'm not convinced that it's even possible.

Timu

As much as I've torn this thing to shreds, I still don't feel as though I have been able to properly quantify how I actually feel about it. Hell, I'm not convinced that it's even possible.
Ha, ha, I see what you mean, the movie is just that shitty, lol.

jrush64

Banned
I thought this was better than age of Extinction but it was definitely not a good movie. Even in the first 15 minutes you could tell it wasn't going to be a good movie. It had its moments that I liked though, for example the Optimus and Bumblebee scene I liked that scene very much.

The guy next to me absolutely dozed off like an hour in.

I thought this was better than age of Extinction but it was definitely not a good movie. Even in the first 15 minutes you could tell it wasn't going to be a good movie. It had its moments that I liked though, for example the Optimus and Bumblebee scene I liked that scene very much.

The guy next to me absolutely dozed off like an hour in.

Agreed. Also, Age of Extinction was just far too long. It felt like it could've been split into two movies (God forbid). I'm glad this was "shorter", as long as it was. It was a few minutes longer than the original (up until this one, each one was longer than the previous one).

Freiya

I enjoyed it and I think all the hate is hilarious. Its giant robots blowing shit up why take it so seriously ffs.

Timu

Age of Extinction had far better action, more Optimus Prime and less annoying humor and characters than The Last Knight. It was longer, yes, but The Last Knight felt longer due to how boring as shit the 2nd hour was.

One of the worst movies ever and definitely the worst Transformers movie.
The pacing, character development was abysmal. I never thought a movie will nauseate me with too much action but this movie did it!!! The last 30 minutes or so were such a drag. I actually wanted to walk out. The 3D was good though, but I saw in Imax 3D.

Thank God for T-Mobile $4 offer else I would have been legit pissed had I spent more than $5 on this crapfest.

I did warn you :(

Can I ask what 'dailies' actually are? I mean, from what I understand as an amateur, it should be the raw footage as shot on set, possibly already having the cut signals in it for the eventual editing process.

So, considering that understanding, how do you know from looking at that what the quality of the movie might be?

sphagnum

Banned
I finally got to see this today and I'm more convinced than ever that the Decepticons are the relative good guys in these films.

The Decepticons simply want to save their homeworld, and if the humans were in the same situation you can be sure they wouldn't mind exterminating the Transformers to save Earth. You can be sure of that because it keeps happening. Meanwhile, the Decepticons are literally trying to keep their species from dying and are trying to prevent the resurrection of a dark god. They even follow the legal process! And when the government says Berserker can't be released, Megatron just goes with it! Nemesis Prime doesn't even do anything bad, he just tries to get that staff.

I also thought it was hilarious/great that the only country that treats Transformers like they have personal worth is Cuba.

I also thought it was hilarious/great that the only country that treats Transformers like they have personal worth is Cuba.

That could have been the setup for so many great/hilarious moments but like everything else in the film its goes nowhere save for one or two attempts at humor on Bay's end.

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
Can I ask what 'dailies' actually are? I mean, from what I understand as an amateur, it should be the raw footage as shot on set, possibly already having the cut signals in it for the eventual editing process.

So, considering that understanding, how do you know from looking at that what the quality of the movie might be?

You're bascially right, raw footage is without anything finalize but I tend to use it for having a very rough edit with no audio before it's locked down.

it's more of a vibe I get from the edit and that comes with experience. In the case of this movie it was easy to tell nothing was working as a lot of the shots lack a certain rhythms in action or seeing this young girl in the beginning is clearly doing nothing of note in the last third of the movie.

man this was something else. I have no idea what I just watched. I was kinda buzzed watching this film but honestly what other way is there to see this piece of shit. I laughed at pretty much all the dialogue. Absolute cringe fest. Literally, the first half of the film felt like I was watching the intros to a call of duty 4 mission.

Shambala

Lol just watched it n I enjoyed it for what it was. I don't go looking for a story with these movies. Just straight crazy action. N it's good just for that

An absolute mess. As transformer films go its actually surprisingly complicated, but that's because It's like 5 different films combined into one. I was generally able to follow the mess of a plot until the final act when it truly gets confusing. An absolute, unmitigated disaster of useless elements, extra plots, cool ideas, poor follow through and supposed set up that may or may not be built upon for future films.

Loved it. When can I have more?

In movie 4, they retconned Megatron's death to be not-all-the-way-dead and he was able to leak his own specs to the tech company making nano-machine transformers so they could build him a new body with the name Galvatron.

And... he decided to be Megatron again because.

Right but that version, Galvatron, was transformium or some shit right? In this one it's just megatron, looking completely different and doesn't appear to have transformium going on at all... how did this happen?

Right but that version, Galvatron, was transformium or some shit right? In this one it's just megatron, looking completely different and doesn't appear to have transformium going on at all... how did this happen?

Transformers 4.5: Megatron's Side Story: Or How I Learned to Stop Transformiuming and Love Myself.

Didn't he also transform into into a tank in the other movie?

He also didn't have that red streak on his face.

Eh, it's like trying to explain why there are baby Transformers running around. Bay throws in shit he thinks is cool or to hit his racial stereotype quota.

Snaku

Banned

He was under the influence of Quintessa, he clearly had her red mark on his face. She more than likely gave him his new body in a deleted scene, like Unicron did in the animated film.

He was under the influence of Quintessa, he clearly had her red mark on his face. She more than likely gave him his new body in a deleted scene, like Unicron did in the animated film.

That implies she can teleport to earth at will, which raises the question why didn't she just show up and grab the staff herself instead of sending Prime.

She's a bit dim to keep trusting her creations when they've shown a willingness to betray her.

Snaku

Banned
That implies she can teleport to earth at will, which raises the question why didn't she just show up and grab the staff herself instead of sending Prime

In the opening narration, Hopkins said that both Prime and Megatron had disappeared, leaving the Autobots and Decepticons to fight without leaders. Megatron probably returned to Cybertron as well.

In the opening narration, Hopkins said that both Prime and Megatron had disappeared, leaving the Autobots and Decepticons to fight without leaders. Megatron probably returned to Cybertron as well.

I took that to mean Megatron was in hiding, and it doesn't really seem possible he flew to Cybertron and back before Prime.

MechaX

That would mean that Megatron managed to not only get an entirely new body, but got to Cybertron and back well before Prime did. And even then, it still wouldn't have made sense that Quintessa would send him back with zero resources that she was shown to have later in the movie (with the decepticons getting ships and shit out of nowhere) forcing Megatron to hang out with Barricade in abandoned parking garages and negotiate with with real lawyers for unhinged decepticons.

That's really something they should have included. Bay really doesn't give a shit. Say what you want about the quality of the films he makes, but at least each one of them has some crazy spectacle. This one felt entirely phoned in.

And why did Optimus act all shocked at what happened to Cybertron? When they tried to bring Cybertron back to earth, didn't he say some shit like "Cybertron had it's chance!" and shot cybertron through space as a dead husk of a world? Then in 4 he's like "TIME TO GO FIND MY MAKER!!111"

I swear, every sequel in this franchise is basically a reboot because there's no cohesion at all.

tookhster

I never thought we'd see a Transformers movie worse than RotF, but it fucking happened. Holy shit.

I actually enjoyed Age of Extinction despite it being way too long, but this movie was just insane. And as a Transformers fan, I usually enjoy these for what they are.

-The editing was all over the place (switching from IMAX ratio to another ratio in between shots)
-The whole Suicide Squad decepticon intros. And they get slaughtered like 10 mins later.
-Speaking of that, they brought back ghetto bots again (Mohawk). Really, Bay? You didn't learn from RotF?
-WTF at Anthony Hopkins giving the finger to a driver.
-WTF at Anthony Hopkins's character in general.
-The whole Cade is a knight thing...ugh.
-"I AM OPTIMUSHHH PRIME"

Fuck this movie. I hope Bay and his team are gone for good and this is coming from someone who somewhat enjoyed the past movies.

Vanille

Better than AoE, at least. Stanley Tucci as Merlin is the best performance I've seen this year.

Why are the evil robot gods always so damn weak though? The Fallen and Quintessa both went out like punks.

Remember when the TRF were the bad guys? And then they were the good guys? And then they were the bad guys? And then they were good guys? lol

J_Viper

I was listening to the /Filmcast review of this, and I had to stop halfway because the more they talked about it, the more I wanted to see it lol. That scene with Megatron speaking to lawyers sounds particularly incredible.

I'll have to wait to it hits blu-ray

The entire second half of the movie the TRF guys are just chasing Marky Mark and Bumblebee for no reason. Like originally they want to kill them because they want to kill transformers and that's their thing. But then Cybertron shows up about to destroy the planet and they they decide to just keep following Marky Mark to the bottom of the ocean because reasons.

There's so much potential in these movies that's spoiled because Bay is a manchild. Like the opening is cheesy, but at least it starts to get kind of cool and build up some emotion and then, HUR DUR I'M A DRUNK HAHA DRAGON PLS.

Shirke

The action in this film was really boring, Optimus Prime versus Bumblebee was only minutes long and I couldn't tell what the Autobots were shooting at in the last battle, plus the Decepticons were total chumps. Cogman was pretty fun even though he didn't do anything Headmaster related as his toy would imply. There are worst ways to spend 2 hours and 30 minutes though, but don't watch this.

Top Bottom