• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trapped in the Metaverse: Here’s What 24 Hours in VR Feels Like | WSJ ( A brief introduction of metaverse)

kingfey

Banned
I love Joanna

24 hours is the VR equivalent to Supersize me though lol
I am now more interested in knowing more about these.

When I used VR for the 1st time, a new world opened through my eyes. Later that month, I bought mini mobile VR. It made everything so realistic. I had skydiving with someone, while sleeping on my bed. It felt like real experience.

I guess this stuff shows promise but none of the actual demonstrations so far look impressive. These apps look like they were made by a cheap, dirty-port mobile company.

Ironically stuff like PS Now destroys the current Metaverse stuff despite being a lot older, because you can tell an actual game developer put some real production budgets into the application.

Facebook and these other companies better look out because Microsoft and even Sony will absolutely decimate them in the whole Metaverse thing because they have the resources to pull it off. And, most importantly: real AAA developers, tech, and IP.

That stuff will be critical to this whole "metaverse" or "new internet" (maybe the current internet can go back to being pre-corporate) era.

kingfey

Banned
I guess this stuff shows promise but none of the actual demonstrations so far look impressive. These apps look like they were made by a cheap, dirty-port mobile company.

Ironically stuff like PS Now destroys the current Metaverse stuff despite being a lot older, because you can tell an actual game developer put some real production budgets into the application.

Facebook and these other companies better look out because Microsoft and even Sony will absolutely decimate them in the whole Metaverse thing because they have the resources to pull it off. And, most importantly: real AAA developers, tech, and IP.

That stuff will be critical to this whole "metaverse" or "new internet" (maybe the current internet can go back to being pre-corporate) era.
think of it like early consoles. Those were dirty games. But now consoles can make solid games.

Valve has a chance. Bethesda has a chance. Capcom has a chance, since they arent competing with other companies. They can dedicate some of their sources in to making VR exclusive contents.

But the bigger task, is implementing stable content, at userbase level. contents such social interaction, and things you can do at your pc, but on VR. That needs tons of resources, which is why big techs pour billions of money in to that tech.

think of it like early consoles. Those were dirty games. But now consoles can make solid games.

Valve has a chance. Bethesda has a chance. Capcom has a chance, since they arent competing with other companies. They can dedicate some of their sources in to making VR exclusive contents.

But the bigger task, is implementing stable content, at userbase level. contents such social interaction, and things you can do at your pc, but on VR. That needs tons of resources, which is why big techs pour billions of money in to that tech.
Oh, I wasn't talking about VR specifically, just the Metaverse side of things. VR-wise, just talking pure VR gaming sans any Metaverse stuff, there's a decent number of companies actually putting out great content; still would like Xbox to support a VR headset in some capacity still and am glad Sony are pushing forward with PSVR2.

It's just the Metaverse-type stuff I've seen so far looks very cookie-cutter. But maybe I've only seen bad examples (I haven't necessarily gone of my way to look for a ton of Metaverse footage or programs). There's one for a Walmart experience for example that looked like way more of chore to use versus going to the store in-person and picking things up, or going to the official website and ordering it. Like I said there is a lot of potential with the concept (and hopefully, some self-control to come with it), but there's nothing specifically Metaverse-geared I've seen so far that's been nearly as impressive as even older virtual-world programs like PlayStation Home or Second Life.

That's a reason I feel gaming companies in particular are most likely to actually make it work, because you need the kind of "fun" experience, interactivity, and overall polish in physics/graphics/controls etc. that a lot of good games tend to have. But out of the traditional gaming companies most of them don't seem too interested to pursue Metaverse-like things ATM, might be due to lack of resources or just lack of cooperation (if it's supposed to replace the internet it needs a universal framework and no one's established one yet).

That's why I think Microsoft are in the best position to actually make it take off. Their acquisitions have probably been done with it at least being part of the reason for them, they have a gaming platform and standardized SDK & APIs for interactive programs, Azure cloud, lots of money/resources and AAA talent. They're way ahead of companies like Facebook in terms of the whole picture. Sony is too, IMO, that is if they're interested in pursuing this in some way. Which maybe they are, and maybe the cloud partnership they have with Microsoft is part of that, as well.

kingfey

Banned
It's just the Metaverse-type stuff I've seen so far looks very cookie-cutter. But maybe I've only seen bad examples (I haven't necessarily gone of my way to look for a ton of Metaverse footage or programs). There's one for a Walmart experience for example that looked like way more of chore to use versus going to the store in-person and picking things up, or going to the official website and ordering it. Like I said there is a lot of potential with the concept (and hopefully, some self-control to come with it), but there's nothing specifically Metaverse-geared I've seen so far that's been nearly as impressive as even older virtual-world programs like PlayStation Home or Second Life.
You have to experience it first, to know the value. From outside perspective, it looks shit. But once you get in to the world, you will get new fresh experience.

That's a reason I feel gaming companies in particular are most likely to actually make it work, because you need the kind of "fun" experience, interactivity, and overall polish in physics/graphics/controls etc. that a lot of good games tend to have. But out of the traditional gaming companies most of them don't seem too interested to pursue Metaverse-like things ATM, might be due to lack of resources or just lack of cooperation (if it's supposed to replace the internet it needs a universal framework and no one's established one yet).
Different field. You need other companies like Yoga companies, meditation, art industry. Gaming companies represent small section of the metaverse. They might improve on graphics wise, but you still techs like google earth, documentaries to bring life to that world.
That is why this metaverse is tough to crack. It needs everybody cooperation to achieve the acceptable level.

That's why I think Microsoft are in the best position to actually make it take off. Their acquisitions have probably been done with it at least being part of the reason for them, they have a gaming platform and standardized SDK & APIs for interactive programs, Azure cloud, lots of money/resources and AAA talent. They're way ahead of companies like Facebook in terms of the whole picture. Sony is too, IMO, that is if they're interested in pursuing this in some way. Which maybe they are, and maybe the cloud partnership they have with Microsoft is part of that, as well.
Most of MS acquisition have been that way. Bethesda with Orion tech, which reduce latency, and now Activision with metaverse. Still they arent a head of facebook. Facebook is dominating that field now. The longer MS waiting to release their VR systems, the more facebook would have a head start.

Sony doesnt have the funding sadly. Too many project in their plate. They have movie industry, and gaming industry. They cant recklessly spend money, without having stable income 1st.

Catphish

I feel like the metaverse is an unavoidable certainty. The only thing that might undermine its arrival and existence would be some kind of global catastrophe.

With the amount of time that modern humans voluntarily spend holding a screen in their hand, it doesn't take much of a leap to consider the mass transition to lightweight, wireless, high-definition headsets/glasses, be it for AR, VR, or both. This migration to AR/VR will, in my opinion, be the start of the next evolutionary chapter for humans, for better or worse.

The culmination will be akin to Ready Player One, I think. A massive multiverse of human creation, from productivity to entertainment, to education, to play, and everywhere in between.

And from there, the progression from externally-applied gear, like headsets/glasses, to direct brain augmentation/manipulation. Maybe something on your head, maybe something in your head. After all, why bother with clunky haptic gloves and bodysuits, when you can interface directly with the brain?

I doubt I'll live long enough to see it all become the stuff of my imagination, but I'm hoping it at least gets a solid foundation down before I'm too old to enjoy it.

Regardless, the metaverse is coming. And with it, a fundamental shift in how humanity lives. Like with all things, there will be good and bad. But be, they will.

You have to experience it first, to know the value. From outside perspective, it looks shit. But once you get in to the world, you will get new fresh experience.

Yeah, I suppose that is true. Firsthand experience is always important. But just going from what I've seen like the Walmart one for example, doesn't look like it would be very pleasant to engage with versus just going to the website normally.

Different field. You need other companies like Yoga companies, meditation, art industry. Gaming companies represent small section of the metaverse. They might improve on graphics wise, but you still techs like google earth, documentaries to bring life to that world.
That is why this metaverse is tough to crack. It needs everybody cooperation to achieve the acceptable level.

True that it appears you do need a wide array of companies pooling things together, which isn't exactly easy to do given the competitive nature of many companies (though if most of them have the same owners or investors, that gets a lot easier). But I was just speaking of gaming in terms of the overall integration of polish, UI, controls, physics systems, interactivity for the user etc. those sort of developers can bring to the concept. Not necessarily that you only need game developers to make it work.

Most of MS acquisition have been that way. Bethesda with Orion tech, which reduce latency, and now Activision with metaverse. Still they arent a head of facebook. Facebook is dominating that field now. The longer MS waiting to release their VR systems, the more facebook would have a head start.

Sony doesnt have the funding sadly. Too many project in their plate. They have movie industry, and gaming industry. They cant recklessly spend money, without having stable income 1st.

I mean, are Facebook really "dominating" it? Doesn't seem like they are, considering the recent drop in their stock prices and statements they're going to "focus on video" now. They may have a lot of the tech (including an in-house VR solution for the consumer market, something admittedly Microsoft doesn't have yet) and valuable user data, but I don't think they have enough of the other important resources to make it actually work.

That's part of the reason I feel companies like Microsoft can destroy them in the space if and when they actually get fully going with their own push for it. Sony technically has the resources and talent obviously, tho they do lack comparative money. But that's where I think strategic partnerships come into play, I'd even say one with Microsoft would be their first go-to depending on timing.

I feel like the metaverse is an unavoidable certainty. The only thing that might undermine its arrival and existence would be some kind of global catastrophe.

With the amount of time that modern humans voluntarily spend holding a screen in their hand, it doesn't take much of a leap to consider the mass transition to lightweight, wireless, high-definition headsets/glasses, be it for AR, VR, or both. This migration to AR/VR will, in my opinion, be the start of the next evolutionary chapter for humans, for better or worse.

The culmination will be akin to Ready Player One, I think. A massive multiverse of human creation, from productivity to entertainment, to education, to play, and everywhere in between.

And from there, the progression from externally-applied gear, like headsets/glasses, to direct brain augmentation/manipulation. Maybe something on your head, maybe something in your head. After all, why bother with clunky haptic gloves and bodysuits, when you can interface directly with the brain?

I doubt I'll live long enough to see it all become the stuff of my imagination, but I'm hoping it at least gets a solid foundation down before I'm too old to enjoy it.

Regardless, the metaverse is coming. And with it, a fundamental shift in how humanity lives. Like with all things, there will be good and bad. But be, they will.

I'll be honest, as intriguing as this sounds on the flipside it also sounds like a dystopian nightmare. Centralized flow of information, microchips, gene-altering (most likely) nanomachines in the bloodstream, etc.

Gonna probably start building that offline grid in the future just in case.

Avoid the cities

kingfey

Banned
Yeah, I suppose that is true. Firsthand experience is always important. But just going from what I've seen like the Walmart one for example, doesn't look like it would be very pleasant to engage with versus just going to the website normally.
It does have yoga, relaxing scenery, boxing, group chat, movie time. Those activities, which you do outside world.

True that it appears you do need a wide array of companies pooling things together, which isn't exactly easy to do given the competitive nature of many companies (though if most of them have the same owners or investors, that gets a lot easier). But I was just speaking of gaming in terms of the overall integration of polish, UI, controls, physics systems, interactivity for the user etc. those sort of developers can bring to the concept. Not necessarily that you only need game developers to make it work.
They can help in those areas. They are integral part to this technology.

I mean, are Facebook really "dominating" it? Doesn't seem like they are, considering the recent drop in their stock prices and statements they're going to "focus on video" now. They may have a lot of the tech (including an in-house VR solution for the consumer market, something admittedly Microsoft doesn't have yet) and valuable user data, but I don't think they have enough of the other important resources to make it actually work.
Stock prices is just reactionary effect. Mass hysteria causes people to sell their stock. It has nothing to do with the production. The team has long term plan, and they laid down those plans. They cant do all the work by themselves though. Its why other big players are important in to that sector. MS. google, amazon, sony, nintendo, activision can bring ideas to the table. And these ideas helps everyone.
Think of it like Xbox. It brought Xbox live. Ps3 brought free games subscription. X360 brought kinetic and wii had the same function. Ps3/ps4 brought cloud gaming (buying gaikai) to the consoles. X1/xsx/s improved that service, and took it to browser, phones, and built in windows.

That is how you improve tools.

That's part of the reason I feel companies like Microsoft can destroy them in the space if and when they actually get fully going with their own push for it. Sony technically has the resources and talent obviously, tho they do lack comparative money. But that's where I think strategic partnerships come into play, I'd even say one with Microsoft would be their first go-to depending on timing.
MS doesnt have data like facebook. that is the most important about this metaverse. Facebook gets too much data from quest 2 users. Without those data, MS cant surpass Facebook easily.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
So basically....
PrK5RVT.jpg

yflxWcD.jpg

Top Bottom