• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Travel-Age: Places to go around the world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me start by promoting my own country: Indonesia :D Feel free to contribute any interesting/beautiful places that you know of, GAF!

1zwiu6r.jpg

A short fact about Indonesia: it is the biggest archipelago country in the whole world, with islands amounting up to around 17.000 islands spread throughout east to west. With a total population of around 230 million people, it is the fourth most populated country in the world. Yes, I know there have been a lot of shitty news about my country, but nevertheless Indonesia is a country extremely rich of cultural diversity, natural beauties, and interesting places to explore. Moreover, since our currency (Rupiah) holds practically almost no value internationally especially when compared to currencies like Dollars or Euros, you Americans and Europeans can purchase the shit out of everything in Indonesia with a very cheap price :D, making Indonesia a very viable place to go if you are looking for a vacation where interesting experience goes hand in hand with affordable prices.

54ino5.gif

1. Komodo Islands

Komodo Island and national park reserve offers just about every type of tropical diving imaginable – from calm and colorful shallow reefs alive with hundreds of colorful reef fishes and crammed with invertebrates, to current-swept deep water sea mounts, walls and pinnacles patrolled by sharks, tuna and other big fish. The variety of marine life for scuba diving in Komodo rivals the world’s best dive destinations. This is the world’s epicenter for marine diversity and you’ll see loads of stuff here on a diving cruise that you just won’t see anywhere else in the world – From whale sharks, sunfish, mantas and eagle rays to pygmy seahorses, ornate ghost pipe-fish, clown frogfish, nudibranchs, and blue-ringed octopus – all at home amongst a spectacular range of colorful sponges, sea squirts, tunicates and corals – a macro enthusiast’s heaven. The island is also famous for its Komodo dragon monitor lizard, the largest lizards in the world. An alert and agile predator and scavenger that can reach 2.5 metres in length and 125 kg, they are known locally as ‘Ora’ and now about 1,100 inhabit the island and about half that live on nearby Rinca Island.

2cxb0ph.jpg

205ti4p.jpg

zlst5j.jpg

2i1iebr.jpg

1zfjynr.jpg

2. Bunaken Island National Marine Park

To dive in the deep waters of the Bunaken Island National Marine Park in Manado is to be among some of the highest levels of biodiversity in the world, with outstanding fish variety and world-class wall diving. When you’re scuba diving in Bunaken you can see seven times more genera of coral than Hawaii, 33 species of butterfly fish and over 70% of all fish species known to the Indo-western Pacific. From the smallest commensal shrimp to black tip reef sharks and eagle rays, there is something for everyone in this very special destination. Bunaken diving is very popular with fun divers and marine biologists both of whom can take great pleasure from the diversity of coral and fish found here. You will surely encounter marine life here that you have not come across elsewhere. Various schemes are being undertaken to encourage responsible attitudes towards the reefs, the sea life and with regards to refuse disposal in the area. In Bunaken your few dollars really do make a difference!

mt2wdc.jpg

1zxy2x0.jpg

bds9hu.jpg

2bxz48.jpg

2wqee1k.jpg

3. Raja Ampat

Located off the northwest tip of Bird’s Head Peninsula on the island of New Guinea, Raja Ampat, or the Four Kings, is an archipelago comprising over 1,500 small islands, cays and shoals. Put simply, Raja Ampat diving is the bee’s knees in the world of scuba. If you don’t enjoy your dives here, you may as well sell your dive gear! According to the Conservation International Rapid Assessment Bulletin, the marine life diversity for scuba diving in Irian Jaya is considerably greater than all other areas sampled in the coral triangle of Indonesia, Philippines and Papua New Guinea – the cream of the cream in world diving. Over 1,200 fish species – a world record 284 on one single dive at Kofiau Island, the benchmark figure for an excellent dive site of 200 fish species surpassed on 51% of Raja Ampat dives (another world record), 600 coral species, 699 mollusk species – again another world high. The term “Frontier Diving” seems to have been invented for Raja Ampat in Irian Jaya. To visit these waters is to feel at the edge of the earth. To gaze over crystalline seas at the beehive-shaped, largely uninhabited islands is to be as far away from it all as you can imagine. At night time in Misool you can peer out at the horizon and maybe see one or two distant specks of light.

2dm9sh.jpg

6tfs7s.jpg

293iold.jpg

dxbwx3.jpg

34hcks6.jpg

4. Bali Island

One of the most beautiful islands in the world, Bali is Indonesia’s most popular dive holiday destination. Many visitors find the attraction of good shore-based diving set against a stunning back drop of huge, magnificent volcanoes and picturesque rice paddy terraces, simply irresistible. The greatest feature of scuba diving in Bali is the rich and varied sites – deep drop-offs and steep banks, coral ridges and bommies, one of the most famous wrecks in the world, volcanic outcrops and sea-grass beds. With the colorful and diverse marine life, there’s enough here to keep you coming back for more. If you wanted to record all the animals you can see here, you’d need to bring along a mini-library of marine guide books. From hairy frogfish, cockatoo leaf fish and pygmy seahorses in Secret Bay and Menjangan on the north west tip of the island, to bump-head parrotfish and reef sharks in the north and east at Tulamben and Candi Dasa, to the sunfish and trevallies of nearby Nusa Penida and Lembongan islands, the Bali sights are truly fascinating. Allow yourself to be surprised for you really never know just what you might see in this ever-changing underwater jewel.

9ggbqu.jpg

2zyzri8.jpg

suzpc5.jpg

x3fyaw.jpg

33blr9g.jpg

5. Flores & Sumbawa Islands

Diving in Flores gives you the perfect chance to add new, small fish and aquatic animals to your knowledge base since it is known for its endemic species. Although the combined effects of dynamite fishing and the earthquake and tsunami of 1992 caused damage to certain areas including Maumere, the regeneration of the reefs here is cause for celebration. Space was cleared by these natural phenomena, which has allowed new corals to flourish and bring an even greater diversity to the sites. These sheltered and varied havens offer crystal-clear waters, deep and vibrant walls, steaming underwater volcanic vents, fertile breeding grounds and conditions that are perfect for some fantastic macro diving opportunities. Sumbawa scuba diving has its own vast schools of countless triggerfish and butterfly fish, macro sightings of blue-ringed octopus, clown frog-fish and nudibranchs, numerous reef sharks and tunas in the deep walled sections. Allied to this are the topside visual attractions of volcanoes and bat colonies, and you’ll soon have enough reasons to plunge deep and explore the underwater tapestry of Sumbawa.

104mhxv.jpg

ayu8m.jpg

2cegdom.jpg

246qknc.jpg

11v5zko.jpg

Once again, feel free to contribute any beautiful/interesting places to go to!

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Thread subscribed.

I LOVE the island theme. Galapagos, Easter, and Madagascar are the three islands I have on my travel list.

cvxfreak

I spent half a day in Bintan Island last August. But that doesn't really count. :lol

Felt more like a colony of Singapore. But hey, the massages were still cheap. :D

Gallbaro

Banned
I have a 36' sailboat, with a winged keel that has been in dry dock for 5 years.

One day...

Also, DisneySea, really freaking want to go there.

54ino5.jpg
PART TWO

6. Lombok

Lombok diving offers a spectacular diving destination with untouched coral reefs, pinnacles, and home of “Hammerhead” sharks and other giant creatures. For divers who would like to enjoy some pristine dive sites, this site offers a 100% intact coral with a unique variety of species. “…It’s an Eldora do for underwater photographers.” Lombok is the perfect place when you want to escape from it all. The peaceful Lombok atmosphere is the best place for holiday with white sand beach and under water panoramas. The many drop-offs, plateaus and slopes around the Lombok’s reflect a good cross-section of what Indonesia has to offer. Dive in and be fascinated by a variety of turtles, White-tip Reef Sharks, Cuttlefish, Moray Eels, Angel Fish, Ghost Pipefish, Snappers, Mantas, Eagle rays and more. This is always a very popular dive site which will offer you a large diversity and abundance in marine on a single dive. The sea mounds and canyon walls differ in size and offer you an interesting collection of overhangs and outcrops, all covered in a variety of hard and soft corals. Huge sea fans and other interesting coral formations will fascinate you from start to finish.

2clxr9.jpg

20znset.jpg

xonk2u.jpg

wbuxia.jpg

2m63ar5.jpg

7. Islands of Bangka & Belitung

The islands of Bangka and Belitung, with its rolling hills of green fields and forests, and the nearby islands of Gangga and Talise offer over 25 dive sites with fringing reef slopes and pinnacles carpeted in soft corals. The row of underwater boulder pinnacles that just break the surface here form giant steps underwater. This is a drift dive that requires a negatively buoyant entry, as waves can be present at the surface at drop off and pick up points. As you descend down the pinnacles you will marvel at the proliferation of green and golden brown soft corals, huge elephant ear sponges, dense thickets of branching green cup coral and table corals. There are carpets of frilled leather corals and pink, brown, cream and lilac soft coral trees swaying in the shallow surge. “Breathtaking” and “awesome” are oft-used words on the boat after this Bangka & Belitung dive.

2s9q8g1.jpg

2rrw7dl.jpg

206kghu.jpg

287lqg6.jpg

2elci13.jpg

8. Banda Island

Seemingly insignificant islands in the middle of nowhere in the Banda Sea, in fact the Banda Islands are steeped in history and blessed with some of the finest diving in the country. Central to the spice trade of old, and former home to exiled freedom fighters, the islands are now enjoying a growing reputation for what goes on below the surface. The remoteness of the islands in the wide open Banda Sea, and the low levels of human population, have meant less fishing pressures, and a vibrant, natural and healthy reef system. The results of this are fishes in incredible numbers, huge sea-fans and sponges, and some monumental hard corals. At most sites you’ll see enormous schools of fusiliers and thousands of red-tooth tiger-fish. One certainty is that you will see plenty of big stuff as well as no shortage of colorful reef life. Topside, these islands boast climbable volcanic mountains which are covered in lush green vegetation. For a taste of historic atmosphere going ashore in Banda Neira is a must for its remnants from the old spice trade of colonial times.

2ih9q9e.jpg

2gws21c.jpg

4nzuu.jpg

29mni9v.jpg

f59f0z.jpg

9. Wakatobi Islands

Rising from the depths of the Banda Sea, the main islands of Wangi, Kaledupa, Tomea, Binongki – WaKaToBi – dish up large portions of all the world’s reef types – fringing, atoll and barrier – and are served with lashings of healthy corals and dense schools of fish. Being a national park, fishing is strictly limited and the reefs are protected, meaning plenty of action for you the diver. Local fishing communities obtain a fair share of the income generated by dive tourism in exchange for adopting more sustainable practices, such as leaving large stretches of reef completely untouched. Other contributions go towards education and strengthening local support for the marine park. Word is beginning to spread about Wakatobi but it is still relatively new. Indeed there are even new sites out there waiting to be discovered, particularly in the outer atolls which are virtually untouched. Dive in and discover the animal attractions here in the Banda Sea.

11ljz3m.jpg

j5ko02.jpg

14s909.jpg

2qcm89z.jpg

2ldjd07.jpg

10. Sangihe Archipelago

The Sangihe Archipelago is a chain of volcanic islands off the north east peninsula of North Sulawesi. Consisting of about forty volcanic islands some of which are over 1,500 meters high, the archipelago’s waters are some of deepest in the world and deep-water currents bring plankton and nutrients from the deep. Be the man from Atlantis by diving what was once a thriving village. Feeling like an archeologist you cruise around through the numerous black corals and investigate the tunnels and doorways. Diving here amongst topography carved out by man’s own hand stands in stark contrast to the norm of diving among nature’s splendor and is definitely one you won’t forget. Diving just off the dormant volcano of Ruang Island always gets the thumbs up from those who have been here. It is as if the Creator has put every shape, size and color of sponge and crinoids here in this one spot. This provides a magnificent backdrop against which you can spot some of the many sharks, dog-tooth tuna and extraordinarily large schools of barracudas that call this place home.

dgtlpi.jpg

11jt8gw.jpg

ek57oh.jpg

apoxe.jpg

24oxges.gif

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
South America: I hear that's where the pretty girls hangout.
California: That's where cool people like me spend their days.

Meadows

Banned
Places you should go to in Britain:

Edinburgh - Wonderful, cultural city. Great food and drink too.

York - You want history? Come to York. You want "Olde English"? come to York. You want to meet me? Come to York.

Manchester - Awesome cosmopolitan city. Generally stay in the center if possible and go to the wonderfully modern Spinningfields district.

Liverpool - The Beatles, Albert Docks, Liverpool FC. This city has a rough exterior, but it has a lot of culture and the locals are great.

London - Well you weren't exactly not going to go where you? Highlight is the awesome museums and the classic architecture.

Cornwall - Pasties (soo good), Surfing, accents, fish, ice cream, Eden Project. It's a pain to get to here due to bad road links, but still worth it.

Porthmadog - Typical small Welsh town, great welcome and great beer. Also near Snowdonia national park; which is worth a visit.

Great first posts!

Brings back memories - I used to be able to speak Indonesian quite well. I got to the point where I could give whole speeches in it to a Year 7 school standard, I guess.

But when I went to highschool, they didn't offer Indonesian and I quickly forgot it :(. I wonder if it'd be easier for me to pick it back up again...

pubba

Nice pictures of Indonesia.

Avoid Bali - it's full of poor white trash Australians on either family holidays (with 3 screaming children) or 'hens holidays' (sunburnt, drunk, ugly Australian women in feral packs).

I went to Jakarta to check out a business opportunity and had an awful time. It was just after terrorists blew up the Australian embassy which may have been a big part of my unease, but many places that I went made me feel very unwelcome.

I'll go again and go straight to the islands next time. Thanks for the heads up, activatethesmile.

I'm living in Thailand now but haven't been down South to any of the beautiful islands yet. My city is 6 hours North of Bangkok and is visually unattractive apart from some of the temples. Heading to Laos next week so will take some photos on the way.

Taiwan is a bit of hidden gem on the world holiday stage. Once you get outside the cities (which are awful) there is some incredible scenery and sights. Will make a post on Taiwan later today to share my experiences/photos.

But when I went to highschool, they didn't offer Indonesian and I quickly forgot it :(. I wonder if it'd be easier for me to pick it back up again...

I'll be more than happy to give you (or anyone else for that matter) a quick refresher course if you want :D

Avoid Bali - it's full of poor white trash Australians on either family holidays (with 3 screaming children) or 'hens holidays' (sunburnt, drunk, ugly Australian women in feral packs).

Hahaha, well, yes. But there are still lots of places in Bali where you can avoid such things, if you know where to look, that is ;)

Meadows said:
Places you should go to in Britain:

1. Edinburg

5vp4r8.jpg

2. York

95t1j5.jpg

3. Manchester

s5v85i.jpg

4. Liverpool

9h6dyv.jpg

5. London

11bogn8.jpg

6. Cornwall

10pmzhi.jpg

7. Porthmadog

2psj69c.jpg

Sorry, couldn't help it. Of all the European countries, Great Britain is the one that I feel most excited about :D

My favorite place in the world is Rome. I haven't traveled much outside the US, but when I was in Italy I forewent traveling to Capri just so I could stay a few extra days in Rome. Absolutely beautiful and full of life.

Some photos from my trip:

2s81nxc.jpg

dzdx55.jpg

2i7yg5x.jpg

vfe2o2.jpg

zn5tdv.jpg

97ma20.jpg

10f1c74.jpg

2qx591x.jpg

29mp1zm.jpg

1. Mentawai Island

The Mentawai Island is one of the most consistent surf destinations in the world. It is regarded as having some of the most consistent surf breaks in the world and home to some surf breaks that will blow your mind! With the discovery of the incredible surf of the Mentawai Islands of West Sumatra, the search for surfing perfection was over-here it lived in staggering abundance. Islet after islet, flawless reef after flawless reef; sun and blue water, offshore winds and spitting tubes.

2l8ci6b.jpg

2yn4fv7.jpg

bf2ubt.jpg

72t7br.jpg

28gysty.jpg

2. Panaitan Island

Situated just off the coast of West Java, Panaitan Island hosts 7 excellent surf spots including the legendary One Palm Point and Apocalypse. Panaitan is rich of wildlife and now you can surf its world class waves in warm, clear blue water away from crowds. Panaitan is part of Ujung Kulon national park, which is a United Nations World Heritage site. One of the world’s longest (up to 800 yards), most perfect, most dangerous shallow left-hand barrelsreels across a reef point.

2mfk6qe.jpg

208vbk7.jpg

oac407.jpg

20qkow9.jpg

9j3h4l.jpg

3. Bali Island

Bali is paradise island in the world and immaculate it could almost be a painted backdrop. For those who have always wanted to surfing, Bali has very consistent surf and great warm weather. Bali Island, the perfect holiday destination for all ages offers something for everyone. This tropical paradise has a unique blend of modern tourist facilities combined with wonderful shopping and a rich past and heritage. Some of the best surfing beaches in the world can be found on the western side of the island. Bali gets the full force of southern ocean swells direct from the antarctic with its south-west and south-east coasts being littered with surf spots.

xlxxg8.jpg

2nhkkl5.jpg

sxdswg.jpg

259ftj5.jpg

2u4qzxx.jpg

4. Lombok Island

Lombok is also known for its best secret surf point, The Desert Point. A long walled and incredibly hollow left hander that on its day can break up to 300 meters, growing in size from takeoff to end. Best between 3-8 ft. You may need to hire boat from locals to take you to some of the wave’s point. If you stay in Kuta Beach Lombok, ask around, many locals surfer will guide you to find the waves. Kuta Lombok is “surfers’ paradise”. Waves are excellent and many good surf points, such as Mawi, Mawun and etc include “Point X”, along South coast of Lombok.

1zf050p.jpg

29njgav.jpg

2yzlde9.jpg

11r8zft.jpg

vdpi79.jpg

5. Sumbawa Island

The islands of Sumbawa are located to the east of Bali. The region for this surf adventure boasts a range of world class waves that work on varied conditions maximizing the potential for good surf. Sumbawa offers some classic tropical surfing with two main surfing areas: West Sumbawa and the Lakai area. This area has many steep cliffs that offer scenic backdrops to the epic surf. The coast of West Sumbawa is dotted with a series of quality breaks. The three main and most famous spots surfed on the west coast of Sumbawa are Scar Reef, Super Suck, and Yo-Yo’s.

wa5xeg.jpg

nqy1xd.jpg

2hycwg8.jpg

2d8i5op.jpg

5s6j4.jpg

29mp1zm.jpg
PART TWO

6. Nias Island

Nias Island is the site of some really fantastic surfing. Nias is famous for the perfect waves breaking off Lagundri Bay. The Nias wave operates perfectly from 2 to 15 feet. Access is easy thanks to a break in the reef called “The Keyhole” that will spare you getting over the sand bar no matter how big this obstacle is. The reef itself is not dangerous compared to other surfing spots in Indonesia. The corals are abundant but not aggressive. Because of the geographical position of the archipelago, this cluster of islands is one of the most interesting areas in the world.

312ekqt.jpg

4gntjd.jpg

69ksua.jpg

33x7p1y.jpg

2enwci1.jpg

7. Grajagan Island (G-Land)

G-Land is a magical place and one of the surfing world’s most incredible surfing destinations. For many surfers, it’s been a very special surfing site of primitive beauty and perfect waves. Like the primitive magical sound of its name, the mentions of Grajagan is an Indonesia incantation that causes surfers everywhere gaze longingly at the horizon.The long lines are unmistakable perfect and the discovery that followed is now regarded as arguably the world’s best left-hander ever. Known for its consistent off-shore trade winds during the sessions. G-Land is a Mecca for traveling surfers and the global pilgrimage to G-Land occurs all year around as surfers travel to Java to sample G-Land jewels.

30bi4ow.jpg

29dbyae.jpg

2zptx0n.jpg

fxgx81.jpg

2lmx88z.jpg

8. Sumba Islands

Close to Bali, Sumba provides some excellent waves in beautiful surroundings. With an exciting local culture and a relatively small population, Sumba is one of the more pristine, unspoiled, undeveloped, and least crowded regions of Indonesia. There are good waves all over the island providing options for surfers of all levels – from beginners right through to advanced surfers. On top of perfect tropical surf, the island is also great for fishing, snorkeling, bird watching, beach combing and relaxing. Uncrowded waves, laid-back living, and spectacular sights – Sumba is the spirit of surf travel.

2ynh5d4.jpg

2mfzo5.jpg

5tx9pk.jpg

14iik5d.jpg

28bzpyw.jpg

9. Timor Islands

The West Timor islands have some of the best uncrowded waves in Indonesia. The islands of West Timor and Roti have some well-known, little surfed breaks (like T-Lands) as well as quite a few secret spots. T-Land is the ultimate fun wave, a lefthander where you can smack reo after reo, ride the nose forever or just cruise your way through section after section. Roti Island is the furthest southern point of Indonesia, with beautiful unspoiled beaches combining amazing surf-breaks, pockets of lush tropical rain-forests, savannas, and rolling hills ending in sheer cliff.

73m68l.jpg

mljiw1.jpg

2nkmko8.jpg

25spnuq.jpg

16it6yc.jpg

10. Nusa Penida & Nusa Lembongan Islands

Nusa Penida region is consisted of 3 isles: Nusa Penida, Nusa Lembongan, and Nusa Ceningan. These isles are located on the east-west side of Bali. Another secret place for some private time on beautiful white, sandy beaches, and obviously a great spot to surf as well. Usually, the Nusa Penida region is visited by fanatic surfers seeking hideouts to surf. Explore the crystal clear, warm waves of the island of Nusa Lembongan. From the gentle fun waves of playgrounds to the hollow perfection of lacerations, Nusa Lembongan has a surf break for all levels.

59r8j.jpg

5bprir.jpg

8yrr0n.jpg

fm599y.jpg

2aiobd0.jpg

atxDUTCH

Neo Member
Hey GAF. My friend and I are graduating high school and this summer we are cycle touring from Holland to France, about 450 miles, seeing some of my family along the way.

I've built my google map. Any suggestions would be killer.

[url]HERE'S MY MAP[/URL]

I'm also looking for another place to post this, in search of support from experienced tour-ers.

THAANKS.:D

French%20Countryside.jpg

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
^your map is broke.

Friend of mine biked from Groningen to copenhagen once. took him 2 weeks around 100km per day, he had a blast.

North side of the Garda lake in Italy. It's like a norwegian fjord but with awesome weather and all the other good sides of Italy:

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_756046.jpg

Riva_del_Garda.jpg

lake_garda__malcesine__italy1.jpg

garda_lake2.jpg

woodchuck

atxDUTCH said:
Hey GAF. My friend and I are graduating high school and this summer we are cycle touring from Holland to France, about 450 miles, seeing some of my family along the way.

I've built my google map. Any suggestions would be killer.

[url]HERE'S MY MAP[/URL]

I'm also looking for another place to post this, in search of support from experienced tour-ers.

THAANKS.:D

French%20Countryside.jpg

I went bicycle touring around Holland last year. It was amazing.

I used this book for a couple of scenic routes that take you through cool little towns along rivers and stuff:

51RX2CZB4KL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Or when you get to Amsterdam, you can buy pretty detailed Bicycle maps and plan your own routes. The best part of Holland is that the bicycle path network is really organized and easy to follow.

Also, if you're looking for places to stay along the way...you can either check out couchsurfing.org or Vrienden op de Fiets. Vrienden op de Fiets is basically a listing of a bunch of cheap (10 - 15 euros a night?) bed and breakfasts that cater towards cyclists.

woodchuck

Steppenwolf said:
North side of the Garda lake in Italy. It's like a norwegian fjord but with awesome weather and all the other good sides of Italy:

I know where I'm going on my honeymoon...

slider

Vox-Pop said:
South America: I hear that's where the pretty girls hangout.

Yep, the certainly do. In Colombia they're certainly very "sexual". But then you have Brazil, Argentina and Venezuela too. Aside from those I've been to Peru, Ecuador, Chile, Bolivia and... gah, edit incoming.

The first 4 stood out as chick hi-lights.

On topic, I'd always wanted to see a travel thread. I'd prefer Gaffer's own pics though - rather than pics/material you can find elsewhere online. I'm just blabbing, no comment on OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom