• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trials And Tribble-Actions - Star Trek DS9

This episode is amazing ! The work they did with a mid 90's tv show episode is astonishing !

Star trek Deep Space Nine composited characters from Deep Space Nine, into an old episode of the original Star Trek and wrapped that episode in a new storyline that explains what the characters are doing there. You see a lot of interaction, as well as some background mulling but it's very cool and seemlessly integrated. I'm seriously impressed considering when this episode is from

Here's a sequence from the episode where they get into a bar fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6KGOkzbf_c

Now it's not the most composit heavy scene, but theres some stuff right at the beginning, and a lot at the end. The video also shows the cool way they integrated their own episode on the old one.

Been watching through some of these star trek shows (started with TNG, now i'm at this point in DS9) but I haven't seen most of the original series. I just wanted to make a post abut this because it's super cool.

Amazingly fun episode. Love it. COmments about all the mismatches in trek lore + time period differences whilst also being visually splendid. Love it.

Sephzilla

Everyone looking at Worf after they saw a TOS era Klingon always gets me. Episode as a whole is really great and well edited. I liked how the even changed the lighting to make sure it matched how TOS was filmed.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Easily the best franchise anniversary thing I can think of.

I still say the best joke would have been to just have Worf look like an old-school Klingon and have nobody talk about it.

Everyone looking at Worf after they saw a TOS era Klingon always gets me. Episode as a whole is really great and well edited. I liked how the even changed the lighting to make sure it matched how TOS was filmed.

I always found it amusing (as someone who got into Trek after Enterprise had finished) how both O'Brien and Bashir were technically correct. Sorta.

But yes, the episode is a phenomenal showcase of what feels like a rarely used technique, to be honest. Then again, few works have a (then) thirty year long history to draw on in terms of footage to work with.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Great episode. Some genuinely seamless editing and special effects work.

I was just about to comment on this joke, haha!

Do they ever really reveal what the hell happened to the Klingons to warrant the physical change between OS and Next Gen?

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I actually just started this show for the first time and am up to episode 3. The first episode got so "deep" so quickly that it really impressed me, but I'll be damned if Sisko isn't weird as fuck.

Do they ever really reveal what the hell happened to the Klingons to warrant the physical change between OS and Next Gen?

Enterprise tackled it, in an admittedly odd way.

Basically,
Klingon scientists trying to create Klingon Augments (ie, supermen like Khan) unwittingly altered a strain of flu that risked infecting and basically wiping out the empire. Phlox managed to create a cute/vaccine, but wasn't able to stop the part of the virus that wound up removing the Klingon ridges

Seriously.

Htown

Enterprise has a two-parter about it.

During season 4, a couple of Earth's genetically enhanced supermen (like Khan Noonien Singh) surface, beating the hell out of some Klingons and almost killing a bunch more on a colony somewhere. The Klingons think, "well shit we need our own supersoldiers" and try some experiments with the augmented DNA.

Unknown to them, one of the test subjects had an airborne space virus, and blah blah blah mutation DNA magic and now they have a deadly genetic plague on their hands. Phlox finds a cure, but some of the DNA changes (which remove forehead ridges and make the Klingons look/act a bit more human) are permanent, and therefore are passed down through the generations.

So some Klingons look basically like humans and it's suggested that "cranial reconstructive surgery" is also a potential thing for Klingons that want to look like Klingons again.

Enterprise tries to put in a reason. Some augmented humans (similar to Khan) attack and kill the crew of a Klingon ship, I think was just 1 or 2 augments.

So the Klingons try augment themselves, but human DNA from it cause the Klingon features to vanish, it spreads like a virus but would only affect a few generations, including TOS era.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Fun episode. I think I've only seen it twice - when it aired and as a rerun years ago. Time to watch again.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Enterprise tackled it, in an admittedly odd way.

Basically,
Klingon scientists trying to create Klingon Augments (ie, supermen like Khan) unwittingly altered a strain of flu that risked infecting and basically wiping out the empire. Phlox managed to create a cute/vaccine, but wasn't able to stop the part of the virus that wound up removing the Klingon ridges

Seriously.

During season 4, a couple of Earth's genetically enhanced supermen (like Khan Noonien Singh) surface, beating the hell out of some Klingons and almost killing a bunch more on a colony somewhere. The Klingons think, "well shit we need our own supersoldiers" and try some experiments with the augmented DNA.

Unknown to them, one of the test subjects had an airborne space virus, and blah blah blah mutation DNA magic and now they have a deadly genetic plague on their hands. Phlox finds a cure, but some of the DNA changes (which remove forehead ridges and make the Klingons look/act a bit more human) are permanent, and therefore are passed down through the generations.

So some Klingons look basically like humans and it's suggested that "cranial reconstructive surgery" is also a potential thing for Klingons that want to look like Klingons again.

WomIaf4.gif

On enterprise it was a virus created by klingons who were trying to make genetically enhanced klingons. Virus went out of control and affected the majority of the klingon empire causeing them to look like that for generations.

Teh Lurv

That explanation always bugged me.

because it establishes the Klingons have the technology for casual genetic engineering, but it never occurred to a warrior race before to try engineering super-soldiers? And for some reason they needed augmented human DNA for reasons?

Enterprise took DS9's perfect explanation and ruined it:

Worf: We don't talk about it with outsiders

SpaceWolf

Banned

because it establishes the Klingons have the technology for casual genetic engineering, but it never occurred to a warrior race before to try engineering super-soldiers? And for some reason they needed augmented human DNA for reasons?

The concept of a Klingon scientist weirds me out in general.

In all the Star Trek stories I've encountered, they're mostly portrayed as a simplistic, warrior race that mostly snarl at each other like wild animals whilst beating the shit out of each other.

Htown

well, to be fair, it was casual genetic engineering on kind of a low budget, and it DID nearly set loose a plague that ended their species. And they needed the augmented DNA because they knew it "worked" and since science funding isn't exactly their strong suit, they weren't going to start from scratch.

It all felt very much like some shady shit happening behind the scenes that just got swept under the rug later.

Enterprise took DS9's perfect explanation and ruined it:

Klingons think they are perfect as is, the one wanting augments was not like others.

They went from no research into it to him wanting it right away, hence trying to piggyback off the human augment genes.

Klingons naturally don't wanna talk about one feeling not good enough in combat and having human DNA forced into them as a result.

In all the Star Trek stories I've encountered, they're mostly portrayed as a simplistic, warrior race that mostly snarl at each other like wild animals whilst beating the shit out of each other.

In fairness, Enterprise also addressed that, in one of the more subtle but actually kind of neat retcons of the series. An old, Klingon lawyer laments how his people have slid into idolising the warrior class and want 'honour' purely from combat, even if it's crushing the helpless - heck, his mother was a biologist, to provide an example of a Klingon scientist.

Back on topic though, another detail I do appreciate with this episode is how its concept of an anniversary and tribute is, in effect, not bringing back or revamping characters and ideas from the Original Series (I mean, it does do that with Darvin, but my meaning is hopefully understandable), but to showcase the experience that was the Original Series.

Lord Fagan

Isn't this the episode where Dax more or less confirms that Dr. McCoy was one of the better lovers she knew across the centuries?

I always kind of liked the idea that while Kirk was known as the poon hound of the NCC 1701, when it came to actual performance, Bones was the real operator.

Sephzilla

Isn't this the episode where Dax more or less confirms that Dr. McCoy was one of the better lovers she knew across the centuries?

I always kind of liked the idea that while Kirk was known as the poon hound of the NCC 1701, when it came to actual performance, Bones was the real operator.

The best lover on the Enterprise is nicknamed Bones?

BjkwMtm.gif

SpaceWolf

Banned
In fairness, Enterprise also addressed that, in one of the more subtle but actually kind of neat retcons of the series. An old, Klingon lawyer laments how his people have slid into idolising the warrior class and want 'honour' purely from combat, even if it's crushing the helpless - heck, his mother was a biologist, to provide an example of a Klingon scientist.

I should probably just watch Enterprise, shouldn't I?

I should probably just watch Enterprise, shouldn't I?

Should is a bit strong a word, but it does have some saving graces to it. Season 4 in particular (though admittedly the scene with the lawyer I bring up is from season 2's 'Judgement') is noted for doing a lot more work than the rest of the show for trying to build up to later Trek continuity, including rectifying some of its own ideas from earlier seasons. The final episode lands with an utter thud, but prior to that is a real showcase for what the show could and should have been. Otherwise, well, it does at least provide a broad outline for what the 'early' Trek universe was like, including just how the Federation came to be.

Htown

Yes, Enterprise is underrated.

Seasons 1 and 2 are a bit iffy but seasons 3 and 4 are legitimately some of the better Trek seasons out there

I really like Enterprise, but even I'd say that like the first half of season 2 is garbage. After the episode with the repair station, it's like ten straight episodes of trash

Sephzilla

I really like Enterprise, but even I'd say that like the first half of season 2 is garbage. After the episode with the repair station, it's like ten straight episodes of trash

i really cant blame anyone for not liking season 1 or 2 of enterprise.

But season 3 is basically the best season of Star Trek Voyager and season 4 is like a solid season of TNG

SpaceWolf

Banned
Should is a bit strong a word, but it does have some saving graces to it. Season 4 in particular (though admittedly the scene with the lawyer I bring up is from season 2's 'Judgement') is noted for doing a lot more work than the rest of the show for trying to build up to later Trek continuity, including rectifying some of its own ideas from earlier seasons. The final episode lands with an utter thud, but prior to that is a real showcase for what the show could and should have been. Otherwise, well, it does at least provide a broad outline for what the 'early' Trek universe was like, including just how the Federation came to be.

Interesting, thank you for the response. I'll think I'll add the show to my Netflix queue and check out the show if just out of curiousity once I get the chance.

jstripes

Banned

It could be there were Klingon scientists at one point, how else did they get so technologically advanced, but then someone invented Klingon Twitter.

Not

Banned
I don't like how they didn't completely redesign the sets and costumes of the original NCC-1701 to be more in line with modern standards. Lame!

BTW, my favorite scene:

"AND WOMEN... WORE LESS"

*Dax is wearing a fucking 60's miniskirt*

*24th-century men ogle*

brian577

Banned
It could be there were Klingon scientists at one point, how else did they get so technologically advanced, but then someone invented Klingon Twitter.

I think I remember it being established that the Klingons were at one point a slave race and that's where they got warp drive.

BoGvjep.jpg

I think I remember it being established that the Klingons were at one point a slave race and that's where they got warp drive.

Not quite true

According to the manual for Star Trek: Klingon Academy, the Klingons acquired warp drive from the Hur'q, by capturing and reverse-engineering some of their ships when they resisted their incursions. This explained how the Klingons, despite not being focused on technological research, managed to make the societal jump to interstellar travel.

Doubt it's hard-canon, but it's probably as close to what we'll get. They weren't a slave race, they were invaded. Hur'q is a Klingon word for outsider - these were the first aliens they met in 1400AD

SeanC

Seriously, that's all that was needed.

Trying to walk it back and explain everything is what can ruin something great that's great in the first place because we don't have all the answers (see also: The Force)

Top Bottom