• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trials And Tribble-Actions - Star Trek DS9

jstripes

Banned
I don't like how they didn't completely redesign the sets and costumes of the original NCC-1701 to be more in line with modern standards. Lame!

Remember the outrage when Enterprise looked more advanced than TOS?

The cognitive dissonance was so hard for some people. Did they expect all the sets on Enterprise to be made with primitive toggle switches and paper maché?

Not

Banned
Remember the outrage when Enterprise looked more advanced than TOS?

The cognitive dissonance was so hard for some people. Did they expect all the sets on Enterprise to be made with primitive toggle switches and paper maché?

I always thought it was fascinating how in TNG the touchscreen buttons were only labeled by static numbers and you essentially had to completely memorize patterns and sequences to have any clue what you were doing or what the readouts meant, to the point where an officer's brain was probably trained to read number sequences in the same way as language. Like being bilingual.

All because they still only had stickers instead of dynamic displays.

My favorite Trek episode, so much fun and such a love letter to the entire series.

Always hated how Enterprise ruined the damn joke though, it was funny and perfect just as it was!

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, Enterprise is underrated.

Seasons 1 and 2 are a bit iffy but seasons 3 and 4 are legitimately some of the better Trek seasons out there

I started watching around season 3 and loved it to the series finale, but going back to season 1 and 2 were bad enough to make me retroactively hate the show overall.

So maybe just skip to season 3.

I started watching around season 3 and loved it to the series finale, but going back to season 1 and 2 were bad enough to make me retroactively hate the show overall.

So maybe just skip to season 3.

Watch the few recommended "good" episodes of the first couple seasons to get a feel for the characters and their dynamic and then watch the S2 finale as it sets up S3. But yeah other than that, just skip them they are really bad.

WomIaf4.gif

It's legit one of enterprises best stories. It mostly worked out well.

Also has Brent Spiner in it

My favorite Trek episode, so much fun and such a love letter to the entire series.

Always hated how Enterprise ruined the damn joke though, it was funny and perfect just as it was!
I generally like Season 4 Enterprise, but it kind of devolves into fanwank at times.

Also, Trials and Tribble-ations would probably the hardest episode to attempt to convert to HD. I don't think any of the effects were done in HD.

Teh Lurv

So many cool little mashups, like when Kirk glances at Dax on the bridge.

1trialstribbleations465.jpg

I recall reading some trivia from the making of this scene: IIRC the original draft had Dax speaking a funny line to Kirk after he sat on the Tribble. The scene was changed to Dax making a quick shrug when the writers realized there was no way Kirk wouldn't have tried flirting with the hot, never-seen-before crew-woman if Dax struck up a conversation.

Yeah, DS9 was way ahead of its time in many regards. Maybe we will get another show like it some day.
It's great. I like it as much as tng, and unlike that, it really felt like this show hit the ground running.

Everyone looking at Worf after they saw a TOS era Klingon always gets me. Episode as a whole is really great and well edited. I liked how the even changed the lighting to make sure it matched how TOS was filmed.
Yeah. That joke is fantastic!
Easily the best franchise anniversary thing I can think of.

I still say the best joke would have been to just have Worf look like an old-school Klingon and have nobody talk about it.
This joke would have been as incredible as the one we got. At least. And that one was really good.

I actually just started this show for the first time and am up to episode 3. The first episode got so "deep" so quickly that it really impressed me, but I'll be damned if Sisko isn't weird as fuck.
Haha. Yeah. You warm up to sisko but he is super weird (and intense). I'm also watching for the first time and I find it really good.

I don't want to bump but I've been thinking about.. Well I skimmed cause I didn't want spoilers but if the way Klingons look really has changed as a species, then why does their statues and even the clone of kahless look like a proper Klingon? I assumed it was probably just a part of their population that used to look like that. Like another race or something.

Oh, and is discovery in this universe? Or in the movie universe?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I don't want to bump but I've been thinking about.. Well I skimmed cause I didn't want spoilers but if the way Klingons look really has changed as a species, then why does their statues and even the clone of kahless look like a proper Klingon? I assumed it was probably just a part of their population that used to look like that. Like another race or something.

Without going into "spoilers", basically the "proper" Klingons are how they usually look, and there's a specific in-fiction reason that the ones in the original series looked more human. It was a wide-reaching but ultimately temporary situation.

If you want more than that just read the posts above. It's a spoiler for about 4 or 5 episodes of the fourth season of Enterprise.

Without going into "spoilers", basically the "proper" Klingons are how they usually look, and there's a specific in-fiction reason that the ones in the original series looked more human. It was a wide-reaching but ultimately temporary situation.

If you want more than that just read the posts above. It's a spoiler for about 4 or 5 episodes of the fourth season of Enterprise.
Ah ok. So there is meaning to the madness. I'm going to leave the above alone and wait till I get around to the show. It's a shame that from all I've heard, voyager and enterprise don't live up to the other shows. Ds9 and tng are both great.

One of my favorite episodes of DS9 (I'm rather partial to many of their standalone episodes as well as the arching episodes) and it was really a great anniversary episode to boot.

Just the little details were fun and you could tell everyone got a kick out of doing it. One of my favorite jokes from the episode oddly enough was when Bashir realized that he was potentially flirting with a (possible) distant relative and that it'd have caused him to be his own (distant) grandfather had they gotten together.

Not

Banned
Can't wait to see what happens over the next ten years after Discovery to make them instate the "skirts for female officers" policy.

Maybe Neo-Trump gets appointed head of the Federation.

Teh Lurv

Everything but season 3 is not as bad as people say it is.

Yes it is. Except for a few good stand alone episodes like Silent Enemy and Regeneration, the first three seasons are forgettable at best. For Enterprise viewing, skip right to Season 4, Episode 3.

AntChum

Probably my favourite episode, second only to 'The Magnificent Ferengi'. It's actually funny to think that one of the best episodes of Star Trek is immediately followed by one of the worst — the godawful 'Let He Who Is Without Sin'.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I remember everyone being in awe when it first aired. My friends (even the non Trek ones) couldn't stop talking about it back then.

EDIT: Also, it's good to see Scotty give the Klingon a [Discovery spoiler]
Vulcan hello
in that scene. ;)

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Just saw the TOS tribble episode and DS9 ep from the op back to back. That was pretty good.

Probably my favourite episode, second only to 'The Magnificent Ferengi'. It's actually funny to think that one of the best episodes of Star Trek is immediately followed by one of the worst — the godawful 'Let He Who Is Without Sin'.
Lol. Yeah. The one that comes after is pretty bad. And makes little sense.
and worf feels a little out of character honestly.
This and the two TNG anniversary threads are going to get me to do a rewatch of both. Again.
Do eet! They are great!

It's not the kind of show you see often anymore. Ensemble cast of good characters in a Sci fi with a big open universe.

jstripes

Banned
I always thought it was fascinating how in TNG the touchscreen buttons were only labeled by static numbers and you essentially had to completely memorize patterns and sequences to have any clue what you were doing or what the readouts meant, to the point where an officer's brain was probably trained to read number sequences in the same way as language. Like being bilingual.

All because they still only had stickers instead of dynamic displays.

LCARS was really an abstract concept of what future computer systems would look like. It wasn't really designed to be functional, but to look "futuristic" and visually pleasing on an old school TV screen.

Remember, at the time most people were still rocking the command line.

I still find it hilarious when some turbo nerd tried to make an LCARS shell for a modern OS. It wasn't designed to be useful, so it's always a flaming disaster.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah the editing they did in this episode is really seamless.

That explanation always bugged me.

because it establishes the Klingons have the technology for casual genetic engineering, but it never occurred to a warrior race before to try engineering super-soldiers? And for some reason they needed augmented human DNA for reasons?

Enterprise took DS9's perfect explanation and ruined it:

Worf: We don't talk about it with outsiders

Go blame TNG's flanderization of the Klingons for that. I think they mellowed out later on. In the movies they weren't all WE ARE SPACE VIKINGS, and even in TOS they weren't full on warrior mode.

Top Bottom