• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trials Evolution |OT| ROCK'N'ROLL TRIALS STYLE BABY

Fjordson

This game is amazing.

The Trials disease has already started to spread. I spent a good 40 minutes on the sunset stripped track trying to shave half a second off my time for the gold medal. Finally got it!

Brakara

I just removed the account from my friends list cause I'm not interested in MP very much. See if you can join now.

There seems to be some confusion here. The Neogaf Trials gamertag is for leaderboards competition, although if people want to use it for mp too I guess that's fine (just understand that is not why it was created). Maybe someone should create a Neogaf MP Trials gamertag instead?

Made my first track, 'The Old Rail Trail'. It's pretty basic in both complexity and difficulty; I was mostly just messing around trying to figure out how to do certain things. Then I got bored and ended it with a bit of (slow down-inducing) mayhem.

I managed to get triggers to set off explosives, smash a fence, destroy a giant ramp, make a sound and end the level, but I can't get it to make a rock roll down a hill for some reason. I set a physics event to turn some boulders physics to 'ON' so they should roll down a hillside when the bike hits an area trigger, but it just isn't doing anything. I don't think the logic is broke because even just having the boulders physics turned on by default has them doing nothing. Turning physics on in the editor allows them to fall as I'd expect. In game, the only thing that is getting them to fall is when my physics bubble gets close enough.

Feeling really stupid about this. When you race a ghost (friend, leaderboard person, whoever) in singleplayer, are you supposed to see their actual ghost? All I get is the floating dot/gamertag.

mtosh

Banned
Feeling really stupid about this. When you race a ghost (friend, leaderboard person, whoever) in singleplayer, are you supposed to see their actual ghost? All I get is the floating dot/gamertag.

Nah that is all you get, is a dot.

I feel like ghosts would have been cool looking, but it would have probably been extremely distracting.

Also anyone can feel free to add me, I need some more people to play with.

GT: ritehandkid

MMaRsu

Banned
Someone beat your time, and no, unfortunately it wasn't me (I'm currently #5, 0.166 seconds behind MMaRsu).

A couple of friendly pointers to MMARsu (for when he makes new tracks):

- Be more liberal with checkpoints, as it's always annoying to redo large parts of the track again (especially true when you are learning the track)
- Some of the obstacles towards the end are more difficult than the Easy difficulty you gave the track. The track difficulty should reflect the most difficult obstacles in the track. Basically, going for an "Easy" track? Don't make any obstacles that are harder than "Easy" then.

That out of the way, keep'em coming. :)
Thx for the tips but i didnt want to give it a medium difficulty because of the pretty easy first part..but i know what you mean and ill certainly be more lenient with checkpoints in the future! Im already working on a new map hope to have that done tomorrow. Thx for the good advice!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So just started up the demo... how the hell do you play this game? Can someone give me a summary of tips on how to land jumps, which way I should be leaning to go faster, etc?

aku:jiki

The community found a squirrel and secret room you're all going to want to see, even if you don't care about squirrels or achievements or whatever. Here's why:
there's a rad mural of an 8-bit Trials Guy and a Portal room that has the Konami code in it. It's like a gamer wet dream of a secret!

The level is Lab Rat and here's what you do:
Go through the level until you reach the very end. Right before the finish line there's a gap in the conveyor belts. Fall down there into a pool of water and you'll notice that you suddenly have a propeller or something and can move around in water. Go right and upwards and after some messing around (it's a little glitchy) you'll end up in a Portal room with a code in it. Write it down and hit back to restart.

From the start, go to the pool of water you eventually pass through (it's pretty early on). Stand in the middle of it and enter the code. You'll hear sounds if you do it right and you'll be sucked down a classic Mario pipe.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
fuck i was having such a bitch getting to 135 medals to unlock the last events... then i realized there was the tournaments! =)

game is great, a definite step up in pace and level design then the first, not to mention the live components and awesome graphics. i've yet to actually play online though, as it just seems to hang when searching for other players.

Nah that is all you get, is a dot.

I feel like ghosts would have been cool looking, but it would have probably been extremely distracting.

Damn, that's too bad. It'd definitely be distracting to a degree, but it'd be awesome to see how the other player is leaning as you play along. This way the only usefulness racing a ghost has is seeing who finishes first.

Some great GAF races tonight, can't believe on the last one 3 of us got joint last to toythatkills huge 1st place.

Yep, a three-way tie for last place.

In case you were still wondering how I got past that joke track that we were butting our heads against:
I realized there was no way the bike could get over that box, so I bailed out and crossed the finish line with just the rider.
Good times.

Sectus

Whooo, I made and uploaded a custom track! It's a beginner trial called "Downhill Madness". It's a pretty tricky to finish. Feel try to check out my leaderboard replay if it ends up being too hard!
Heeheeheeheeeheeeheeeheeeheeeheeehee.

As a side note, the level editor is pretty nifty. I really really like all the freedom you have if you decide to mess with all the event triggers and such.

ksdixon

Is it just me or do the bikes feel a lot more ''floaty'' than in Trials HD?

In Trials HD I felt I had precise control of the bike when shifting the rider's weight forward and backwards using the Left Stick. Now it feels as though any slight nudge forward or backwards equates to this long, slow arch in the bike's movement.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Is it just me or do the bikes feel a lot more ''floaty'' than in Trials HD?

In Trials HD I felt I had precise control of the bike when shifting the rider's weight forward and backwards using the Left Stick. Now it feels as though any slight nudge forward or backwards equates to this long, slow arch in the bike's movement.

I've noticed this as well (played the shit out of Trials HD and have all the DLC) but I've just played a bit and have yet to unlock the decent bikes, so maybe that's why.
It's definitelt different imo, but maybe they've just upped how much of an influence each bike's weight has?

Oh my....

Just spent a good 20-30 mins trying to beat my own ghost on 'Falling Down' in order to get a Gold.

That frustration....but I stuck with it :D

And this game has done really well I think, the leaderboards are now saying 160k instead of 90k this afternoon - really hope it continues to sell as this is probably the best XBLA title I've bought.

Oreoleo

I've noticed this as well (played the shit out of Trials HD and have all the DLC) but I've just played a bit and have yet to unlock the decent bikes, so maybe that's why.
It's definitelt different imo, but maybe they've just upped how much of an influence each bike's weight has?

The first two bikes are trash. The physics might be slightly different but once you unlock the next two bikes it feels like good ol' Trials to me. But maybe I'm less sensitive to it. I did play the shit out of the first game though.

Top Bottom