• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trip Hawkins: I Almost Got Sega, Philips And Panasonic To Take On Sony

AJUMP23

Gold Member
If Nintendo had stuck with Sony and not gown with Philips the world of gaming looks different. I would like to see that alternate timeline.

Wouldn't have made a difference. None of those companies knew anything about gaming and Ohga was an immovable object when it came to making the PlayStation the best game console on the planet after Nintendo's actions. You can't forget how key many Sony Music figures were in the software and music industry. They had connections that made things happen. Things many would have said impossible a few years prior to launch.

Maybe Nintendo shouldn't have turned down Kutagari.

If Nintendo had stuck with Sony and not gown with Philips the world of gaming looks different. I would like to see that alternate timeline.

Wouldn't have made a difference. None of those companies knew anything about gaming and Ohga was an immovable object when it came to making the PlayStation the best game console on the planet after Nintendo's actions. You can't forget how key many Sony Music figures were in the software and music industry. They had connections that made things happen. Things many would have said impossible a few years prior to launch.

Obligatory "Nintendo backstabbed Sony" posts. Here:

Sony nearly took Nintendo for a ride.

Last edited:

Oof85

This story always makes me laugh, as it kinda handwaves a viciously exploitative contract where Nintendo would essentially be locked out of software profits from their own titles.

Say what you want about Yamauchi era Nintendo and its heavy handedness in regards to cartridge requirements and third party deals but at least they never sought to outright undercut 3P revenue gained from titles sold on their machines.

If the deal went ahead Nintendo would've probably folded twenty years ago and be a shadow of themselves ala Sega.

AJUMP23

Gold Member

I didn’t say backstab. But even the NOA president Howard maybe he was the lawyer was surprised by the announcement.

personally I think it would have been interesting to see to Nintendo PlayStation instead of the Philips cdi. I remember watching those cd I infomercials and wanting one.

Kadve

Sega is gone, Philips has exited consumer electronics. But whatever happened with Panasonic?
They actually made one more console in the mid 2000s

Or could of still been nintendo and Sega in the console business. Nintendo ran and held hands with Phillips amd Sega ran to hold hands with sony.

Last edited:

Scotty W

Gold Member
I always come back to this story from Hideki Sato, the creator of the Saturn.

Once when I was talking with Ken Kutaragi [the creator of the PlayStation], he said “Hideki-chan”—he refers to me using the “chan” diminutive—“Hideki-chan, there’s no way you can beat me. Where are you buying your processors? From Hitachi. From Yamaha. What about your CD-ROM drives? You’re buying everything. By buying from Hitachi, Hitachi is profiting. You can’t make anything yourselves. We can make everything ourselves, including custom parts. We have our own factories.” Near Nakashinden, they had a huge factory where they made audio equipment that they were using for the PlayStation. Their cost structure was completely different.

“‘That’s the way it is, Hideki-chan,’ Kutaragi told me. ‘So quit the hardware business. Why not just do software? We’ll give you favorable treatment.’ He wanted us to go third party. We had been going for so long in the hardware business, for better or worse, and to go third party now? We had been half-heartedly successful in America once, and this made it impossible to quit the hardware business.

https://mdshock.com/2020/06/16/hideki-sato-discussing-the-sega-saturn/

I didn’t say backstab. But even the NOA president Howard maybe he was the lawyer was surprised by the announcement.

personally I think it would have been interesting to see to Nintendo PlayStation instead of the Philips cdi. I remember watching those cd I infomercials and wanting one.

Philips CD-i had already been in the works. Only thing that came of the deal was the Mario/Zelda games.

And the Sony deal would have ended with major drainage on Nintendo's side. Sony basically tried to pull a Daniel Plainview on them.

darrylgorn

Uh Huh Sure GIF

StueyDuck

An interesting article I came across today, via the website: "Time extension" ....it circles back to an interview that Trip did with Edge magazine in 2009...(https://www.timeextension.com/news/...-to-take-on-sony-says-ea-founder-trip-hawkins)

If the team up did happen, we can only imagine what the gaming landscape might have been....as compared to now where Sony are in a one-horse race...
i mean we almost had a Sony/Nintendo Partnership too.

also why does everyone forget nintendo exists. it's definitely not a one horse race at all. Nintendo are doing extremely well

StueyDuck

This story always makes me laugh, as it kinda handwaves a viciously exploitative contract where Nintendo would essentially be locked out of software profits from their own titles.

Say what you want about Yamauchi era Nintendo and its heavy handedness in regards to cartridge requirements and third party deals but at least they never sought to outright undercut 3P revenue gained from titles sold on their machines.

If the deal went ahead Nintendo would've probably folded twenty years ago and be a shadow of themselves ala Sega.
it's a kotaku article, if theres an agenda you can trust loltaku to be on it.

the fact is the gaming industry then was far less regulated and not at all what it is today and people seem to think it was all "backstabbing" and "cheating".

It was mostly just these companies flying by the seat of their pants. Everyone was out for numero uno, these were the days you could say Sega does what nintendont and blatantly shit on your competition. Nothing then was black and white.

cireza

I always come back to this story from Hideki Sato, the creator of the Saturn.

Once when I was talking with Ken Kutaragi [the creator of the PlayStation], he said “Hideki-chan”—he refers to me using the “chan” diminutive—“Hideki-chan, there’s no way you can beat me. Where are you buying your processors? From Hitachi. From Yamaha. What about your CD-ROM drives? You’re buying everything. By buying from Hitachi, Hitachi is profiting. You can’t make anything yourselves. We can make everything ourselves, including custom parts. We have our own factories.” Near Nakashinden, they had a huge factory where they made audio equipment that they were using for the PlayStation. Their cost structure was completely different.

“‘That’s the way it is, Hideki-chan,’ Kutaragi told me. ‘So quit the hardware business. Why not just do software? We’ll give you favorable treatment.’ He wanted us to go third party. We had been going for so long in the hardware business, for better or worse, and to go third party now? We had been half-heartedly successful in America once, and this made it impossible to quit the hardware business.

https://mdshock.com/2020/06/16/hideki-sato-discussing-the-sega-saturn/
The power of infinite money.

the fact is the gaming industry then was far less regulated and not at all what it is today and people seem to think it was all "backstabbing" and "cheating".

It was mostly just these companies flying by the seat of their pants. Everyone was out for numero uno, these were the days you could say Sega does what nintendont and blatantly shit on your competition. Nothing then was black and white.

From what I read PlayStation itself was a private project of a few Sony executives. Gaming wasn't a hundred billion dollar industry yet.

StueyDuck

From what I read PlayStation itself was a private project of a few Sony executives. Gaming wasn't a hundred billion dollar industry yet.
i think you are right, it was a small team originally. Similarly to how Xbox also began in the industry as well, originally at MS it was just a small team trying something new.

ManaByte

Gold Member

"Nobody fucks Mr. Yamauchi except Mrs. Yamauchi."

This is so old news. What next Atari could have had the Mega Drive, SEGA The Lynx and N64 and Nintendo the Playstation.
I liked the 3DO mind but the needing to make a profit on each console sold was sheer madness

An interesting article I came across today, via the website: "Time extension" ....it circles back to an interview that Trip did with Edge magazine in 2009...(https://www.timeextension.com/news/...-to-take-on-sony-says-ea-founder-trip-hawkins)

If the team up did happen, we can only imagine what the gaming landscape might have been....as compared to now where Sony are in a one-horse race...
You forgot PC there buddy. AND the Switch.

Sony isn't the only one. Fanboy.

Hudo

I think the only way the landscape would have changed was if the Nintendo 64 was a CD system and was easier to develop for. It would have kept the japanese developers who went to Sony
It was not only the cartridge-based nature of the N64 that made many Japanese devs move to Playstation. Sony was doing a lot of backdoor deals and lobby work to get third-parties to Playstation (and forgo other platforms, which hit Sega even harder than Nintendo).

Last edited:

Drew1440

Sega is gone, Philips has exited consumer electronics. But whatever happened with Panasonic?
Panasonic still do consumer electronics like TV's and audio, though they have outsourced the manufacturing. They still make good microwave ovens and Eneloop rechargeable battery's. Philips is mostly in the healthcare/appliance sector but still name brand on their consumer stuff like their Ambilight TV's and monitors.

Funnily enough the "VHS for video games" ended up being the PC, but still has yet to happen on the console market, unless you count the Steam Machines.

It's a Chris Kohler article though. Say whatever you will about Kotaku (and I'll agree the whole way), but Chris knows his shit. He's been in the game for decades, dating back to Wired in the '00s.

Top Bottom