• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trolling: Is it a artform?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izick

tF3kd.gif

That gif with three frames makes it look like he's saying "WHOOPIE."

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
IMO and old-man experience, trolling went off the rails after a few years when sites like Something Awful got really huge, and naturally the lowest common denominator wanted in on something 'cool' that they mangled badly. Trolling morphed into"let me spew sewage at a random website / forum / blog to insult as many people as possible, directly, and then run back to my friends and claim I won the internet."

Like anything, 'trolling' can be used as performance art, but personally I tend to think it only really has legitimacy like that when it's for a noble goal, ironically. For example, while the real-life behavior of a lot of 4chan's scientology trolls turned stupid real fast, stuff like the Anonymous "we run this" videos taunting Scientology were artful and genuinely amusing.

In my mind, that is this 'artform' trolling.

Most of the time, aside from just throwing insults at people to get a reaction, people today troll by pure disruption - i.e. that guy who comes into a forum thread to take a shit on what he sees as the popular opinion in a passive aggressive manner, intended to insult everyone there.

Increasingly though, aside from a few very high minded and carefully constructed pranks / campaigns, it appears that enough people are on the Internet today that trolling in general just comes off as childish. A lot of trolling, even by its original definition, was predicated on the notion that the Internet was just bunch of stupid, one big video game that only dumb people invested anything in. That was when the Internet was still a toy, and people could rationalize that most of real life (and thus 'serious business') had no intersection with the net. You still see a lot of people with that attitude today, but I think they're behind the curve. The net is maturing fast, has become an extension of real life, and thus taking a random shit on it is becoming like walking up to someone in real life and taking a random shit on the sidewalk in front of them. It's ridiculous.

One might argue that places like the chans are greasetraps for people who still want to use the internet as a solipsistic playground for a sort of simulated sociopathy.

Grinchy

Banned
I know that we have different time zones because it takes longer for time to reach europe than it does the US but it's still stupid. Why can't europeans just learn to associate 3PM as being dark outside. Why do they have to confuse the whole world. Let's just have one time zone.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
IMO and old-man experience, trolling went off the rails after a few years when sites like Something Awful got really huge, and naturally the lowest common denominator wanted in on something 'cool' that they mangled badly. Trolling morphed into"let me spew sewage at a random website / forum / blog to insult as many people as possible, directly, and then run back to my friends and claim I won the internet."

Like anything, 'trolling' can be used as performance art, but personally I tend to think it only really has legitimacy like that when it's for a noble goal, ironically. For example, while the real-life behavior of a lot of 4chan's scientology trolls turned stupid real fast, stuff like the Anonymous "we run this" videos taunting Scientology were artful and genuinely amusing.

In my mind, that is this 'artform' trolling.

Most of the time, aside from just throwing insults at people to get a reaction, people today troll by pure disruption - i.e. that guy who comes into a forum thread to take a shit on what he sees as the popular opinion in a passive aggressive manner, intended to insult everyone there.

Increasingly though, aside from a few very high minded and carefully constructed pranks / campaigns, it appears that enough people are on the Internet today that trolling in general just comes off as childish. A lot of trolling, even by its original definition, was predicated on the notion that the Internet was just bunch of stupid, one big video game that only dumb people invested anything in. That was when the Internet was still a toy, and people could rationalize that most of real life (and thus 'serious business') had no intersection with the net. You still see a lot of people with that attitude today, but I think they're behind the curve. The net is maturing fast, has become an extension of real life, and thus taking a random shit on it is becoming like walking up to someone in real life and taking a random shit on the sidewalk in front of them. It's ridiculous.

One might argue that places like the chans are greasetraps for people who still want to use the internet as a solipsistic playground for a sort of simulated sociopathy.

Get this serious post out of here!!!
quincy-acy-volleyball-spike.gif

GrizzNKev

Banned
The best trolls are those who are spouting something completely absurd and ridiculous, but are so convincing that you're unsure whether they actually are spouting bullshit or not.

Very, very few trolls can pull this off convincingly.

That's the only thing trolling actually is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom