• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tron 3 (Tr3n) has begun filming

Doom85

She said this when the sequel was cancelled in 2015:

Ah, didn’t realize they had flat out said a straight follow up to Legacy was done for.

But seriously, this makes the marketing team or whatever for this reboot look so fucking dumb. So it’s not a third movie in the same continuity, so why this title?

And if one of them goes, “well, actually, it’s because in our movie, the number 3 holds significant relevance to-“

Me:

The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air Slap GIF

VulcanRaven

Ah, didn’t realize they had flat out said a straight follow up to Legacy was done for.

But seriously, this makes the marketing team or whatever for this reboot look so fucking dumb. So it’s not a third movie in the same continuity, so why this title?

And if one of them goes, “well, actually, it’s because in our movie, the number 3 holds significant relevance to-“

Me:

It could still be set in the same continuity with mostly if not all new characters.

Doom85

It could still be set in the same continuity with mostly if not all new characters.

Apparently Leto’s character would have been present in the original plans for a sequel, but now it’s a reboot as far as we know and they’re just retaining his character.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Oof. Horrible idea for a reboot imho.

The original was truly a thing of its time, pre-internet and now are completely different cultural landscapes and the core concept is as relevant as using a giant cannon to land on the moon.

Changing it up from its original naive premise and its just boilerplate cyberpunk by numbers.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I do gotta say, if they really pushed into lightcycles, disc throwing action, a few new vehicles and enemy types, could make for a nice action fantasy film. Legacy leaned into the moody, atmospherics a bit much, but imagine a good stunt team with those visuals.....

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I do gotta say, if they really pushed into lightcycles, disc throwing action, a few new vehicles and enemy types, could make for a nice action fantasy film. Legacy leaned into the moody, atmospherics a bit much, but imagine a good stunt team with those visuals.....

The point is that the light cycles and disc throwing were reflective of gaming at the time Tron was written because they were visualizations of snake and pong.
Outside that context its just random!

The point is that the light cycles and disc throwing were reflective of gaming at the time Tron was written because they were visualizations of snake and pong.

I somehow never made this connection, cheers dude, or maybe I'm just really stupid.

I somehow never made this connection, cheers dude, or maybe I'm just really stupid.

Nah, just really old games 😂

Weren’t the battle tanks in the movie, based on the game ‘battle zone’ ?

I used to play that in the arcades. With the periscope viewer and always thought that this so like tron with the wire frame graphics and destroyed tanks breaking up into angular shards 😎

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

I used to play that in the arcades. With the periscope viewer and always thought that this so like tron with the wire frame graphics and destroyed tanks breaking up into angular shards 😎

Nah, Battlezone was too modern, it was far more likely inspired by this:

jason10mm

Gold Member
True, and wreck it Ralph did the same thing for pretty much all modern games.

Stull, loves me some light cycles :p

Hudo

Me:

They could literally call it "Tron: Reboot" and it would fit the style and everything. They're going with "3", so I expect that it continues some form or parts of the storyline from the last two movies. I mean, Legacy ended with that dude and Olivia Wilde riding on a Ducati Sport 1000 Biposto (in black, if I remember correctly) in "real life".

But I dunno what they can do if neither Wilde nor the actor who played the guy in Legacy resume their roles.

Fuck, man. I really want to be excited but I have a feeling that I'm gonna be disappointed...

Last edited:

dan76

I hope they go back to the original in terms of look. The second film was so visually boring compared to the first. Not much hope for the story, modern Disney etc... Wendy Carlos is still alive, just sayin.

I think the tank portion is based off the 1977 Atari 2600 game Combat.

jason10mm

Gold Member
You didn't see the end of Legacy did you?
I am kinda curious if he will just be a normal organic person, which is what you'd expect if the "laser scanner digital translator" could somehow work in reverse. Though I guess Flynn did have some low level "superpowers" in Tron world(explained, IIRC, as hom being a superuser) so I fully expect Leto to have all sorts of electronic manipulation powers and probably able to shoot lightning bolts from his arse.

freefornow

Gold Member
You didn't see the end of Legacy did you?
Sure did. Quorra and Sam enter the portal and she becomes human in the real world. Ending was fine and i dont need to explore that further.
The articles descriptor made it sound like it would be focussing on a program who had crossed over and was in the real world (how i read it).

The IMDb description is somwhat better: "Showcases Ares, Leto's computer program, on a journey from the digital world to the human one."
If it is about a program trying to escape the game grid and make it out to the real world (the journey), then there is potential.
With both Steven Lisberger and Bonnie MacBird on board as seasoned Tron writers, I'm holding out hope that this is good.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Remember when studios put numbers in place of letters in an IP's name in spots where the transposed number resembles the letter it's replacing?

N4ither d8 9hey.

They could literally call it "Tron: Reboot" and it would fit the style and everything. They're going with "3", so I expect that it continues some form or parts of the storyline from the last two movies. I mean, Legacy ended with that dude and Olivia Wilde riding on a Ducati Sport 1000 Biposto (in black, if I remember correctly) in "real life".
I think he took a pendrive, the whole her within the real world I took it to be his imagination. Though the bad guy wanted to take an army to the real world, so not sure how that'd've worked.

Top Bottom