• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump administration requiring Puerto Rico evacuees to pay transportation costs

Tovarisc

Edit:
For what it's worth, Snopes has fact checked this and is pushing back on it.

http://www.snopes.com/is-the-trump-administration-puerto-rico-evacuees/
-------------------------------------

People evacuated by the U.S. from hurricane-ravaged Puerto Rico must sign promissory notes ensuring they fully repay transportation costs to the Defense Department, according to the State Department.

Evacuees from Dominica and other countries hit by the hurricanes also must sign the promissory notes, though their repayments would go through the State Department.

The notes fall under a longstanding but discretionary policy meant to ensure that evacuees pay transportation costs, which are based on ”the price of the last commercial one-way, full-fare (not discounted) economy ticket prior to the crisis."

Marketwatch first reported that the evacuees from Puerto Rico were required to put up the promissory notes.

It is unclear how many people have been evacuated on military flights from Puerto Rico, which has been hit by Hurricanes Irma and Maria in the last three weeks.
According to the State Department's website, the policy applies to all evacuees who boarded U.S. government aircraft or other vehicles to evacuate.

It's possible that promissory notes could be waived.

Some promissory notes for people evacuated from Dominica were waived due to medical emergencies, for example, a State Department spokesman said.

It's not clear if any waivers have been issued for evacuees from Puerto Rico, who would be overseen by the Department of Defense.

People who sign the promissory notes are effectively taking out a loan from the U.S. government. The loans, according to State's website, are managed "by the Comptroller and Global Financial Services office in Charleston, South Carolina."
Limits are placed on the passports of evacuees who sign the notes, the State Department's website says.

”Upon evacuation, a Department of State official must limit an evacuee's passport. In order to obtain a new passport, an evacuee must arrange payment as agreed upon via the promissory note," the website reads.
Trump hgas vowed that his administration would receive high marks for Hurricane Maria relief efforts.

”We've gotten A-pluses on Texas and in Florida, and we will also on Puerto Rico," Trump said Tuesday. ”But the difference is this is an island sitting in the middle of an ocean. It's a big ocean, it's a very big ocean. And we're doing a really good job."

Trump on Thursday lifted shipping restrictions on relief efforts to Puerto Rico, allowing non-U.S. owned and crewed ships to deliver aid to the island.
http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...ation-forcing-puerto-rico-evacuees-to-pay-for

Lunar15

It's a big ocean guys.

That he frames everything with his "ranking" is disgusting. It's not a ratings thing, buddy: it's people's lives.

LifEndz

You’ve just listen everything, but I’ma need you to put something on the gas money

Fucking disgraceful.

Sad part is a lot of people are eating this shit up. Out of sight out of mind. If this shit was pulled on mainland people would have the torches and pitchforks out.

Protein

Banned
These freeloadin' Browns aren't gonna get a free ride on ma tax dollars. Sure they got hit, but what about our veterans and actual 'murican citizens?

This guy.

Everything he says and does about Puerto Rico really feels like he doesn't realize they are Americans.

Can you imagine if this was done in terms of Texas or Florida? We really need to get Puerto Rico as our 51st state, otherwise, they really don't give a damn.

shira

Mnuchin please
article-linton2-0822.jpg

I don't know if you guys know this but there is a big thing called the Ocean which is making it very, very hard to get these people out of there.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS?

I never thought I'd say this, but guys, I think I miss George W. Bush.

Hell, I'd take Reagan right now. Everyday it is something else that you just can't believe. This racist, petty, cruel asshole is the president. There are people are happy he is president. Fuck him, his supporters, and anyone else down with him.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'll wait until this info is verified.

Anyone know of the best charity to help those in Puerto Rico?

Democrats should be funding gofundmes for those that want to relocate from PR then send them to states like PA, MI, OH and others. Low cost of living and all....

_Ryo_

Fuck everything. Fuck you too you cheapsteak piece of shit.

Just saw the snopes thing. I hope theyre right and this is not true.

Trump is still a massive cunt, regardless.

Top Bottom