• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump backs off vow that private sector should help pay for infrastructure package

KSweeley

WaPo is reporting that Trump has informed lawmakers that he now does NOT want the private sector to help pay for his infrastructure package and now wants to force states and localities to foot most of the bill: https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...isrc=al_alert-COMBO-politics%2Beconomy&wpmk=1

President Trump told lawmakers Tuesday that he was abandoning a key element of his planned $1 trillion infrastructure package, complaining that certain partnerships between the private sector and federal government simply don’t work.

Trump’s comments, described by a House Democrat who met with Trump and confirmed by a White House official, reveal an infrastructure plan that appears to be up in the air as White House officials have struggled to decide how to finance many of the projects they envision to rebuild America’s roads, bridges and tunnels.

Now the administration wants to force states and localities to foot most of the bill. The previous strategy — a push that has taken a back seat to other Republican priorities in Washington — was aimed at luring private investors with promises of federal backing. Some of that thinking appears to be changing.

The president acknowledged the new approach during a Tuesday meeting with Democrats from the House Ways and Means Committee, who came to the White House to discuss the administration’s tax code rewrite set to be unveiled Wednesday,

During the meeting, Trump “emphatically rejected what everybody assumed was his position relative to financing infrastructure,” said Rep. Brian Higgins (D-N.Y.), who attended and asked Trump about the proposal. “He dismissed it categorically and said it doesn’t work.”

A White House official said there are “legitimate questions” about a public-private approach to revamping the nation’s infrastructure. The official said that although the administration has researched such approaches, “they are certainly not the silver bullet for all of our nation’s infrastructure problems and we will continue to consider all viable options

Trump campaigned on a pledge to lead a massive rebuilding effort that would rely on private-sector funding to overhaul the nation’s crumbling infrastructure. His administration talked up the concept — in which private investors would underwrite projects in exchange for a share in future profits — in the budget it rolled out in May. “Working with states, local governments and private industry, we will ensure that these new federal funds are matched by significant additional dollars for maximum efficiency and accountability,” he said in a June speech on infrastructure.

tenor.gif

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So he'll be telling everyone at his rallies they will be responsible for this financing effort right?

Piecake

Unless Trump forgot to mention that he is in favor of public funding it and the private sector profiting from it, then I am in favor of this.

I mean, what private sector business is going to fund sewage pipes?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
He's not used to ever paying the bill for anything so it's no surprise he doesn't want his buddies to have to either.

This is probably good though. Last thing I want is to have e to drive on a road brought to me by Crest Toothpaste and have to pay a toll every 500 yards.

Better than toll roads and bridges

Unless Trump forgot to mention that he is in favor of public funding it and the private sector profiting from it, then I am in favor of this.

I mean, what private sector business is going to fund sewage pipes?

Nestle is actively rooting for pipes to never be fixed

Hoo boy.
If he thinks states are going to be able to afford infrastructure projects with reduced or without federal assistance... this on top of trying to ensure far less tax revenue.
Just...
Hoo boy...

slit

It's such a shame a really good idea like that has an idiot for its champion. A major infrastructure spending plan/bill would do wonders for the country.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
the guy wanted to privatize our roads and bridges. That's an automatic shit list check mark. To begin with, we know that government workers and contractors are the best way to boost the economy in regards to infrastructure projects

Well public-private partnerships don't have the best track record. In the worst case the public ends up paying more while the private firms take all the profits

But Trump being Trump this probably means there'll be no infrastructure inveatments at all in the end

Top Bottom