• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump credits his Twitter wrath for Kaepernick's unemployment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing a Trump rally would like more than knowing the President would prevent a black man speaking his mind from getting a job.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Not entirely. Like I mentioned before, the skillset is questionable. Many teams now are moving away from signing aging free agents and looking to develop their own talent. Romo still doesn't even have a team right now.

If the Jets didn't look like fools last season signing Fitzmagic they would have already jumped.

Which is kinda why I think Kaep hasn't picked up a backup spot yet since that's usually where you keep your young developmental guys so a relatively known quantity like Kaep would only have value in specific circumstances where maybe the team prefers a veteran backup because they're starting a first or second year player. Unfortunately Kaep tends to thrive in a dual threat offense which still isn't too widespread in the NFL and having him for gimmick plays probably isn't a great idea either.

A backup position is also a spot where much of the value of the position is based on the health of your starting quarterback. If your starter goes down for the season, the backup usually doesn't matter because you aren't expecting much. If the starter goes down for a few games then the backup is extremely valuable until the starter returns.

I guess if you had told me that after 2015 (and before the whole taking a knee thing) when he was losing the locker room with his headphone shenanigans and making noise about wanting to be traded to Denver but wasn't - that he'd be potentially out of the league in 2017, that wouldn't have shocked me too much.

Kap will want to start. Sammy is the starter. Really don't need a qb battle going into the season.

Ancient football proverb - "if you're having a competition for a starting quarterback, you don't really have a starting quarterback"

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Ancient football proverb - "if you're having a competition for a starting quarterback, you don't really have a starting quarterback"

Sammy Sleeves gonna bring us to the promise land. Which is probably no where but he is better then Teddy.

Jazzem

I don't know why I keep getting surprised at the horrendous lows he steeps to, but he somehow keeps finding new ways to be utterly deplorable :|

Crosseyes

Banned
Speaking out in general is frowned upon. Remember NFL GAF legend Chris Kluwe. As soon as his production dropped a little, he got the pink slip.
Kluwe was the god damn greatest.

That he's gone and Priefer stayed after his language endorsing a gay genocide is still a disgrace.

Sanjuro

To be fair the cowboys haven't released romo since jj is delusional to think someone will trade for him

Yeah. Normally he would have had a team jump with some kind of value. Even the teams interested in Romo are treating him like damaged goods, which is a little tad away from the norm.

zethren

Banned
I don't care for football so I can't comment on his football ability. But I respect what he stood for in his protesting.

Also fuck Trump, Kaep is a charitable man who has worked to help aid troubled communities. He's instantly a better person than you, orange dirtbag.

Even if that's true, what kind of fucking child is this guy? I legitimately can't believe he's the leader of a country, let alone supposedly the 'best' one.

effzee

Jay Cutler is also unsigned I guess he's being blacklisted too :p

I'm not denying the fact Kaep's protest is part of the reason he isn't employed, but if he was balling like he did back when Harbaugh was there someone would take the pr hit and sign him. The fact he's been bad on the field, undersized compared to where he was when he was good, and injury prone why would anyone pay what Kaep is likely asking.

Kaep opting out was stupid he's going to lose money whenever he does get signed to be someone's back up.

LOL comparing him to Cutler. In his short career, Kaep has done more than Cutler. Kaep might be "distraction" to racist people who can't stand that he sits out the anthem but Cutler is known asshole who has had trouble with his coaches and teammates wherever he has gone.

And that is the point - most of these QBs get many many chances. Kaep, if he doesn't get picked up, is simply going to be out of a job because of his political view.

Kap will want to start. Sammy is the starter. Really don't need a qb battle going into the season.

I would think all backup QBs want to start. They just accept their current fate and position as the backup. Why wouldn't you want a QB who wants to start?

LOL comparing him to Cutler. In his short career, Kaep has done more than Cutler. Kaep might be "distraction" to racist people who can't stand that he sits out the anthem but Cutler is known asshole who has had trouble with his coaches and teammates wherever he has gone.

And that is the point - most of these QBs get many many chances. Kaep, if he doesn't get picked up, is simply going to be out of a job because of his political view.

I would think all backup QBs want to start. They just accept their current fate and position as the backup. Why wouldn't you want a QB who wants to start?

Kaep had a higher peak, but for average cutler has been consistently mediocre compared to kaep who's been legit bad as of late.

effzee

Kaep had a higher peak, but for average cutler has been consistently mediocre compared to kaep who's been legit bad as of late.

yeah and there are tons of worse QBs who hold clipboards. if Cutler doesn't get YET ANOTHER chance, it is because people are fed up with him and his locker room antics.

Kaep's case is completely different.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.

The league is changing now with QB's. Brock fucked up the whole market for QB's last year. Now everyone is taking the small deals and the what if guys. Look at like Glennon on the Bears. For all we know Kap is asking for the same contract he was had with the 49ers.

Time for the Browns to save America by signing Kaepernick!

Browns won't touch him. They are going for a QB in the draft and have a shit load of picks the next two years.

Sanjuro

yeah and there are tons of worse QBs who hold clipboards. if Cutler doesn't get YET ANOTHER chance, it is because people are fed up with him and his locker room antics.

Kaep's case is completely different.

Cutler has a lot of miles on him now. I don't think universally locker rooms are fed up with him, just most really don't need him unless he is willing to come in and compete.

see5harp

Kaep sucks. Why would any team give him a shot unless you are some team like the Browns? He is capable of a few breathtaking scrambles a few times a game but has shown to be incapable of actually running a working offense over and over and over.

Kite

Kaep was great until people figured him out, just like most mobile QBs not named A. Rogers. Kaep sucks was a pocket passer. Honestly if my Texans miss out on Romo going for Cutler might be a backup plan, we just need someone semi competent. We don't need a leader, already got one in Watt. I don't think Kaep would work for us.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I doubt Kaep will get picked up.

He has sucked for almost 3 seasons now but he proved enough in his first 2-3 seasons to at least have teams give him a shot to start or be a quality backup.

But he won't get picked up cause NFL Owners would rather risk PR nightmares on players who do drugs, punch women, or get caught in other criminal activities than pick up a QB who took a social stance.

I have my own issues with Kaep and his "stance" cause at the end he didn't vote, claimed Hillary and Trump are equals, thus equally bad, and now he has said he won't continue to boycott the anthem by sitting.

With all that said, he did put his money to work by donating and working to help the issues he is concerned about. He isn't a locker room distraction and his team voted him as captain last season. He surely deserves to be in the NFL especially considering the bottom of the barrel QBs getting 2nd, 3rd, and 4th chances to be QBs.

This. Kaep and Trump both turned out to be empty suits. However at least the thing Kaep stood for initially, was a good and noble cause. Just turned out he was a mere performance artist and it stopped when the whistle blew.

Couldn't possibly be because Kaepernick is a terrible quarterback, huh, Mr. President?

Nope.

Everything is always about the sagging orange whale penis in the White House.

Colin Kaepernick has dark-tan skin, usually wears a 'Fro and kneels during the national anthem.

That's a triple-threat to racists. So naturally, Trump plays it up to keep his base focused on their irrational hatred for non-white people.

It's the best way to distract people from stuff like stealing their healthcare, making rich people richer, killing Federal departments and safety regulations and colluding with Russia to weaken National Security in favor of big oil/business deals.

effzee

This. Kaep and Trump both turned out to be empty suits. However at least the thing Kaep stood for initially, was a good and noble cause. Just turned out he was a mere performance artist and it stopped when the whistle blew.

Well as others have pointed out, at least Kaep has donated and is still doing so to help causes he championed.

Frankly, I'm ashamed more of the prominent black QBs and stars in the NFL don't speak up.

All of the local sports stations (Detroit area) today are discussing this. The calls I'm hearing are doing everything short of using the n word in talking about kaep and why he's a terrible person and a traitor.

Jay Cutler doesn't have a job either.

Most of the QB's are waiting for the draft to fall to see where they can beat have a chance to start.

Trump is fucking dumb.

Sephzilla

Kaepernick's a free agent because he's not a good quarterback.

He'll probably land a backup job somewhere after the draft, though.

I don't like this performance artist talk for a dude that gave away the first million of his salary and bought a Bronx school backpacks. These aren't selfish acts, they're evidence of someone with a deep investment in justice.

I think it could be you don't fully understand where he's coming from. You're not reading the same material he reads. Activists and revolutionaries always get misrepresented here because the main frame of reference GAF has is binary party system politics within colonialism and capitalism.

Paskil

The thing that really bothers me about Kaepernick is that after all of his protesting, he came out and admitted that he didn't vote. Yes, his vote technically doesn't matter as much in California since everything goes blue (I assume) where he would vote, but because of the specificity of his stand (or kneel for that matter) he should be voting for marijuana legalization which was on the ballot in November.

Fuck Trump, etc, but I think Kaepernick is a moron. Kudos to him for using his platform for good, but his reasons for not voting are flimsy and ridiculous, imo.

Just something that has been bothering me for a while.

but his reasons for not voting are flimsy and ridiculous, imo.
I don't think we know his reasons, though.

Edit: Oh, we do:

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/11/14/sport/49ers-qb-colin-kaepernick-explains-why-he-didnt-vote/

"You know, I think it would be hypocritical of me to vote," Kaepernick told reporters. "I said from the beginning I was against oppression, I was against the system of oppression. I'm not going to show support for that system. And to me, the oppressor isn't going to allow you to vote your way out of your oppression."
Makes sense to me.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/colin-kaepernick-didnt-vote_us_5823a553e4b0e80b02ceb707

“To me, it didn’t really matter who went in there,” Kaepernick told reporters Wednesday. “The system still remains intact that oppresses people of color.”

Kaepernick has been staging protests during the national anthem since the NFL preseason, sitting or kneeling while it is played before games, an act that he has said is an attempt to raise awareness about police killings of African-Americans.

“I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color,” Kaepernick told NFL.com in August. “To me, this is bigger than football, and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street, and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.”

Stinkles

I don't like this performance artist talk for a dude that gave away the first million of his salary and bought a Bronx school backpacks. These aren't selfish acts, they're evidence of someone with a deep investment in justice.

I think it could be you don't fully understand where he's coming from. You're not reading the same material he reads. Activists and revolutionaries always get misrepresented here because the main frame of reference GAF has is binary party system politics within colonialism and capitalism.

Dude wallowed in whataboutism and botthesameism - and I absolutely do not discount the good he did. But he could have done exponentially more good by encouraging voting and not making loudly broadcast false equivalencies.

I'm not reading about him in a bubble btw and I think those criticisms of kaep are valid.

This election really amplified that fact. What's unfortunate is that even the good he did was reformatted as meat for racists.

Stinkles

If he's still going out with the activist girlfriend, I doubt he regrets anything, or at least admit to it.

If Kaep has half a brain, of course he regrets it. I think he was serious about his protest. But hindisght makes it highly evident that his "didn't vote because it wouldn't change anything" was a) a bad look and b) the exact opposite of protesting in the first place.

His protests then ended up in a ridiculous "AHA! TOLD YOU!" Moment for the right wing, and the left got stained by that too.

I doubt anyone would argue that had Kaep voted, and had he bitten his tongue on the "both the same" garbage (and it IS garbage, just ask an Iranian with a green card, or a meals on wheels recipient, or a woman or etc etc) he'd be in a much better position to fight for the things he does care about. He'd at least appear consistent.

Trump can just STFU though. All he ever did was stoke racism with dog whistles and regular old human hearing whistles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom