• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump dramatically SHRINKS Bears Ears National Monument and slashes another by half.

Dev1lXYZ

[[url]http://www.*****************/news/article-5144171/Trump-virtually-abolish-Bears-Ears-National-Monument.html/url]

President Donald Trump unveiled a plan Monday in Utah to dramatically scale back two national monuments – calling it an important move for 'states' rights.'
'Some people think that the natural resources of Utah should be controlled by a small handful of very distant bureaucrats located in Washington. And guess what? They're wrong,' he said in the cavernous Utah Capitol Rotunda in Salt Lake City.
'The families and communities of Utah know and love this land the best. And you know the best how to take care of your land. You know how to protect it, and you know best how to conserve this land for many, many generations to come,' he said.
'Your timeless bond with the outdoors should not be replaced with the whims of regulators thousands and thousands of miles away. They don't know your land, and truly they don't care for your land like you do.'
The Bears Ears and the Grand-Staircase Escalante national monuments span millions of acres in Utah and are among 27 national monuments that Trump ordered his Interior Secretary to review earlier this year.
The result, he said, is that 'public lands will once again be for public use.'

Please feel free to share any thoughts about this matter.

robosllim

The result, he said, is that 'public lands will once again be for public use.'
Er, does he think "public" and "not owned by the government" are the same thing? Because they're not. Those lands will be privatized as soon as possible.

Dev1lXYZ

Er, does he think "public" and "not owned by the government" are the same thing? Because they're not. Those lands will be privatized as soon as possible.

If it is privatized, won’t that mean that the owner(s) will have to pay taxes to the state of Utah though? They can use that tax money to enrich their state.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
A dumbshit talking point for dumb shits. It's completely nonsensical but it plays into the mindless "anything the government does is bad" attitude of his base.

It's literally Orwellian doublespeak.

*repeals law making land public*

"We're making the land public!"

i-Lo

A dumbshit talking point for dumb shits. It's completely nonsensical but it plays into the mindless "anything the government does is bad" attitude of his base.

Btw, doesn't this mean that the Federal protection owed to these lands from exploitation for resources will be repealed?

After what the residents of Flint suffered due waste processes of fracking without avail for a long time, I see this having far reaching implication through a long period of time.

robosllim

It's literally Orwellian doublespeak.

*repeals law making land public*

"We're making the land public!"
Yeah, that's pretty clear. I'm just trying to see how the words can be twisted to make a sort of sense to said dumb shits.

If it is privatized, won’t that mean that the owner(s) will have to pay taxes to the state of Utah though? They can use that tax money to enrich their state.
I'd have to see numbers before being able to say anything for sure, but I can't imagine that Utah has all that much it needs to spend its money on or that this tax revenue would make that much of a difference. Additionally, parks do employ a certain number of people, so shrinking them would likely lead to job loss.

What I can say is that a lot of those national monuments are absolutely beautiful to see close up, and reducing their size to make room for oil derricks and pipelines and mining operations is a travesty. That's not even getting into the damage it might cause to locationsimportant to the native peoples.

Top Bottom