• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Keeps Bringing Up Elijah Cummings. Here’s Why. - NYTimes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trump Keeps Bringing Up Elijah Cummings. Here’s Why.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/06/us/politics/elijah-cummings-donald-trump.html?_r=0

07cummings-master768.jpg

Representative Elijah E. Cummings, left, Democrat of Maryland, after a meeting with President Trump at the White House last month.

By KATIE ROGERS
APRIL 6, 2017

WASHINGTON — President Trump has targeted a wide range of Democratic adversaries in interviews, Twitter posts and news conferences, doling out names and insults with an auctioneer’s stamina. But when it comes to Representative Elijah E. Cummings, Democrat of Maryland, Mr. Trump has been slightly less pugilistic.

Mr. Trump seems to view the congressman as something of a frenemy.

“Elijah Cummings was in my office and he said, ‘You will go down as one of the great presidents in the history of our country,’” Mr. Trump said in an interview with The New York Times on Wednesday. But then, Mr. Trump said in the interview, he later watched Mr. Cummings on television — evidently an appearance on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” program, in which Mr. Cummings said he was “very skeptical” of Mr. Trump and his ability to lead a divided nation.

“And I said,” Mr. Trump told The Times, “‘Was that the same man?’”

It was the latest volley in a public back and forth between the two men, which centers on a single meeting between them in the Oval Office on March 8, when Mr. Cummings, according to Mr. Trump, made the comment about Mr. Trump’s greatness.

On Thursday, Mr. Cummings said, as he has before, that Mr. Trump had distorted his remarks.

“During my meeting with the president and on several occasions since then, I have said repeatedly that he could be a great president if — if — he takes steps to truly represent all Americans rather than continuing on the divisive and harmful path he is currently on,” Mr. Cummings said in a statement.

But in an interview on Thursday, Mr. Cummings held out the possibility that Mr. Trump had connected with him in their talk in the Oval Office. His theory, he said, is that Mr. Trump, who is surrounded by aides who work hard to placate him, reacted positively when Mr. Cummings spoke to him frankly and without fear.

“I remember when I talked to him,” Mr. Cummings said. “I said, ‘I bet you nobody has ever told you when you talk about black neighborhoods that it’s insulting.’”

The president, Mr. Cummings said, was not used to directness: “He said, ‘No, nobody’s ever said that to me.’”

Mr. Cummings said on “Morning Joe” that he had enjoyed the conversation with Mr. Trump, but that plans for the sit-down had been fraught from the beginning.

The meeting happened after a news conference in which Mr. Trump accused Mr. Cummings of bowing to pressure from Chuck Schumer, the top Senate Democrat, by backing out of plans for a group of lawmakers to discuss prescription drug prices with the president. Mr. Cummings then issued a statement saying he had “no idea” why Mr. Trump made such a claim.

“Of course, Senator Schumer never told me to skip a meeting with the president,” Mr. Cummings said in the statement.

Mr. Trump then invited Mr. Cummings to the White House. There, drug prices remained on the agenda, but the two veered into other subjects, such as the president’s unsubstantiated claims of mass voter fraud and his demand for an investigation.

Mr. Cummings, the top Democrat on the House Oversight Committee, said he told the president that, along with focusing on making drug costs manageable, “there are other things you need not to do, like the voter fraud investigations.” He suggested that the president take a deeper look into voter suppression efforts instead.

Mr. Cummings, who is in regular contact with Vice President Mike Pence, suggested that the discussion might have left a lasting impression. Mr. Pence called him to follow up the next day.

“I don’t know if you notice,” Mr. Cummings said. “You haven’t heard too much about the voter fraud thing.”
Thought this was an interesting perspective from Trump's new African-American.

guek

Banned
“Elijah Cummings was in my office and he said, ‘You will go down as one of the great presidents in the history of our country,’” Mr. Trump said in an interview with The New York Times on Wednesday.

On Thursday, Mr. Cummings said, as he has before, that Mr. Trump had distorted his remarks.

“During my meeting with the president and on several occasions since then, I have said repeatedly that he could be a great president if — if — he takes steps to truly represent all Americans rather than continuing on the divisive and harmful path he is currently on,” Mr. Cummings said in a statement.

I heard about this on NPR this morning. Oh Trumpy, you and your selective hearing.

Squire

Banned
Cummings is right, too. Trump lies every day about having a historic, record-breaking electoral win (LOL), but there's been a noticeable drop in voter fraud nonsense.

Could just be everything else that's going on though.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
All jokes aside if Cummings can legit talk even a tiny piece of common sense and clear thinking into Trump's head then I'm all for it.

Why would he even say anything like that to Trump to begin with? Cummings has been in this game long enough to know that Trump will A, never stop using divisive rhetoric, and B, will certainly lie about what was said to make himself look better.

Why would he even say anything like that to Trump to begin with? Cummings has been in this game long enough to know that Trump will A, never stop using divisive rhetoric, and B, will certainly lie about what was said to make himself look better.

Yeah I'm not sure why he thinks Trump will or has any capacity to change for the better. It's not even worth the mind power to postulate,

“Elijah Cummings was in my office and he said, ‘You will go down as one of the great presidents in the history of our country,’” Mr. Trump said in an interview with The New York Times on Wednesday.

This is so amazing.

Nista

I wish he was still my representative. Sadly I don't think he's got enough mojo to convince Trump to dump Bannon to the curb and be a rational human being for once in his life.

Poppy

except im pretty sure people have in fact told trump that what he says is insulting before

i know he is surrounded by sycophants and is obviously ignorant about a lot of real world things

but my honest opinion is that trying to reason and enlighten him is a waste of time. he will tell you that it was a good discussion and he learned something out of it then completely abandon that and do the opposite the next day

there is simply nothing there. he is a void, a husk, human in name only. a garbage life that will have granted the earth nothing and simply fade into oblivion.

kirblar

I wish he was still my representative. Sadly I don't think he's got enough mojo to convince Trump to dump Bannon to the curb and be a rational human being for once in his life.
We don't need Cummings for that, Kushner's already pushing him out.

Beartruck

Honestly, I kinda don't want Bannon gone. Bannon kept pushing crazy extremist stuff that was poorly written and doomed to fail. Without him, Trump could get someone competent to help push his evil shit through.

subrock

"You're in the top 45 for sure" Cummings continued.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom