• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump-less debate is second-lowest rated of the primary

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/267497-trump-less-debate-is-second-lowest-rated-of-the-primary

Thursday night's Fox News debate was the second-lowest rated debate of the primary season, according to a CNN report.

Without Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump participating, the debate had an 8.4 rating with 12.5 million viewers, according to Nielsen ratings first reported by CNN.

That's better than the previous debate hosted by Fox Business Network, which got a 7.4 rating. But that was a strong number for Fox Business Network, which is less widely available than Fox News and CNN.
Thursday's rating would be much smaller than the 15.9 rating for the first GOP debate hosted by Fox News in August.

Trump appeared at that debate and clashed memorably with moderator Megyn Kelly when she asked him about his comments regarding women. A record 25 million people tuned in for the debate.

Guess you can't dump the Trump.

RPGCrazied

So. Still had way more than he was predicting. He said probably like 2 million and it would be a disaster. So no, it did better than he thought.

I wasn't gonna watch regardless, but the incentive to even take look in the debate thread never even entered into my mind. So, not shocking that the amount of viewers fell way off.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
huh i read an article that said it was 24 million. just a million short of that first debate.

Revolver

Haven't the ratings been trending downward anyway? I didn't watch the debate or Trump's gathering of the juggalos either. At this point they've lost their entertainment value to me. Though hearing how Kelly shredded the candidates makes me wish I'd watched that.

ctothej

Haven't the ratings been trending downward anyway? I didn't watch the debate or Trump's gathering of the juggalos either. At this point they've lost their entertainment value to me. Though hearing how Kelly shredded the candidates makes me wish I'd watched that.

They've been trending downward, but a debate on Fox should always have a ratings advantage with the GOP.

royalan

Not a big deal. I don't think this is a win for Trump at all.

The ratings for Republican debates have been trending downward anyway because they've had about 5 million of them at this point.

That this debate wasn't THE lowest rated tells me that the public who tunes in to these things largely didn't care about Trump's stunt.

For this to be a win for Trump, the ratings needed to tank, and they didn't.

The ratings for Republican debates have been trending downward anyway because they've had about 5 million of them at this point.

That this debate wasn't THE lowest rated tells me that the public who tunes in to these things largely didn't care about Trump's stunt.

The Trump event was boring and it started late. The pre-show started late and then the actual event also started late. Trump also didn't tweet the Youtube link where you could watch it, I had to get that from the GAF OT.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i think people watched just to see how bad it would be without Trump, but it definitely should have done way more considering it was on Fox News prime.

rjinaz

The damn thing was a red wedding and still was low? Damn

Well I mean, the people at home couldn't have known that. And they likely wouldn't have heard about it to change that channel. Hopefully the word will spread and maybe the next debate will not only use this same process but attract more people.

It was pretty good. Trump really wasn't missed too much this time.

The only reason it wasn't the lowest rated is because the debate with that honor aired on Fox Business Network, a channel most people don't have. That this debate was anywhere close to that one shows Trump's absense had a yuuuuuuge effect.

royalan

The Trump event was boring and it started late. The pre-show started late and then the actual event also started late. Trump also didn't tweet the Youtube link where you could watch it, I had to get that from the GAF OT.

Hopefully the takeaway from Trump's event is that the man is completely vapid when he doesn't have someone in his immediate vicinity to pick on.

He tried to be clean last night and boy was that a mistake.

Having almost half of the rating of the last Fox News debate may not be tanking, but it's definitely a pronounced drop and noteworthy due to Trump's absense. The only reason the Fox Business event rated lower is because it was less available. As Davepoo just said, this is Fox News, and Thursday should have done much better.

Trump took a gamble and walks away from this unscathed and still going strong. The same can't be said for Fox. Seems like a win in my book, however minor.

Edit:

The only reason it wasn't the lowest rated is because the debate with that honor aired on Fox Business Network, a channel most people don't have. That this debate was anywhere close to that one shows Trump's absense had a yuuuuuuge effect.

This.

Tom_Cody

Alternate thread title:
Trumpless Debate Gives Fox News Its Second Highest-Rated Telecast Ever
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/trumpless-debate-gives-fox-news-its-second-highest-rated-telecast-ever/

IMO the news is that the ratings didn't implode.

The Republican debates have been declining in ratings since the first one and this actually did better than the last one. The ratings would have been higher with Trump, but they were still extraordinarily high.

Makai

@realDonaldTrump They say that if I participated in last night’s Fox debate, they would have had 12 million more & would have broken the all time record.

Trump doesn't even have to be right to spin this.

mreddie

@realDonaldTrump They say that if I participated in last night’s Fox debate, they would have had 12 million more & would have broken the all time record.

Trump doesn't even have to be right to spin this.

It's Trump, ratings could have just dropped 5% from the last debates and dude would spin it, out to mention the last debate was on a channel barely anyone had.

Revolver

I know nothing about debates, but I'd imagine this should be one of the higher rated ones since it's the one right before the primary.

I imagine most Iowans have their minds made up and just want this over. The rest of the country have got to be getting fatigued with all these noisy debates featuring a bunch of people that have no realistic chance.

I imagine most Iowans have their minds made up and just want this over. The rest of the country have got to be getting fatigued with all these noisy debates featuring a bunch of people that have no realistic chance.

Hopefully after Iowa some of them drop out, but I doubt it.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Hopefully after Iowa some of them drop out, but I doubt it.

i have doubts that anyone will bother dropping out after they've gotten to this point. they made it this far, and with talks of a brokered convention they could still have a chance of being the nominee despite everything else

numble

Hopefully the takeaway from Trump's event is that the man is completely vapid when he doesn't have someone in his immediate vicinity to pick on.

Actually, for Iowa Republicans tuning in, it appeared like the last two winners of the Iowa caucuses were endorsing Trump, so that was a win for him that he didn't even need to plan himself.

He still picked on them.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

Exact opposite.

Trump had decent ratings for an event that was basically done in a few hours.
He avoid the red wedding Fox planned for his ass.
Last debate before Christmas had something like 12mil to this 8mil.
And he basically gets to look like a Saint by focusing his event on "Vets" and toning himself down for the night.

Hell, he even got a few others to join in. Even if they weren't for him, they were there in front of his name.

Oddish1

It should be noted that Republican debates have been declining in general even with Trump, so it's likely this would have happened even if he was there.

bialik-0128liveblog-2.png

numble

It should be noted that Republican debates have been declining in general even with Trump, so it's likely this would have happened even if he was there.
Take off Fox Business because few have that channel, and the trend is less straightforward. It's not likely that it would be similar to a channel that very few have.

Madness

Trump the god

Jeez this is crazy haha, never thought he'd last this long

With the polls this close to the primaries, looking almost certain he's the Republican candidate for President this year. Just imagine the kind of numbers we're going to see for the first Trump vs. Sanders/Clinton debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom