• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump says Apple Has Promised to Build Three Manufacturing Plants in U.S.

ggx2ac

(In an interview with the Wall Street Journal.)
More at the link: https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-...-three-manufacturing-plants-in-u-s-1501012372

Apparently the three plants will be beautiful. Although Trump doesn't know when and where they'll be built.

Mr. Trump, in a 45-minute interview with The Wall Street Journal, said Mr. Cook promised him Apple would build “three big plants, beautiful plants.” Mr. Trump didn’t elaborate on where those plants would be located or when they would be built.

Trump like big objects and is under the illusion that he has put pressure on Apple CEO Tim Cook.

“I spoke to [Mr. Cook], he’s promised me three big plants—big, big, big,” Mr. Trump said as part of a discussion about business-tax reform and business investment. “I said you know, Tim, unless you start building your plants in this country, I won’t consider my administration an economic success. He called me, and he said they are going forward.”

Apple declined to comment.

____

Apple currently employs 80,000 people in the U.S.

Apple has said it supports about two million jobs in the U.S., including its own employees and those of suppliers, app developers and entrepreneurs who offer products across its devices. The company directly employs 80,000 people in the U.S.

Trump making more assumptions about manufacturing jobs being created that people in New York will move to Iowa.

Mr. Trump also said Tuesday that Foxconn plans to build a big plant in the U.S. and is strongly considering putting it in Wisconsin.

In an emailed statement earlier this week, Foxconn said it was reviewing “potential locations for establishing manufacturing facilities in the U.S.” but declined to name them.

In Tuesday’s interview, Mr. Trump said people in New York and other states without jobs will have to move to states like Wisconsin, Iowa and Colorado that are adding manufacturing.

“You’re going to need people to work in these massive plants,” Mr. Trump said. “…I’m going to start explaining to people: When you have an area that just isn’t working like upper New York state, where people are getting very badly hurt, and then you’ll have another area 500 miles away where you can’t get people, I’m going to explain, you can leave. It’s OK. Don’t worry about your house.”

Here's what one professor had to say with regards to Apple moving manufacturing to the US. Hint: Higher costs and losing ground to competition.

Jason Dedrick, a professor focusing on the globalization of information technology at Syracuse University, said in December that forcing Apple to shift manufacturing to the U.S. could put it at a competitive disadvantage to rivals like Samsung Electronics Co. He estimated that assembling iPhones in the U.S. would add $30 to $40 in production costs to each device. He would raise that total to $80 an iPhone if components like the processor, memory and display were also made in the U.S.

Mr. Dedrick said that if Apple lost competitive ground to rivals, it could put some of Apple’s high-paying U.S. jobs in marketing and engineering at risk. “You have to ask: Do you want to put well-paid engineers out of work because you created policies to create assembly jobs?” Mr. Dedrick said.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
He's probably getting this confused with 3 new Apple orchards that are being planted.

Dyle

The only reason Foxconn is looking at Wisconsin is because they're worried that Trump will go crazy and put an import tax on everything they make. They're hedging their bets and will look elsewhere if they don't get big corporate tax breaks or if Trump is removed from office.

Timbuktu

They didn't say it would be for iPhones though... And what qualifies as big? The Mac Pro was made in the USA and then it didn't get an update for years until Apple admitted the last design was a mistake.

robotuw

Three apple plants?

7N58zjj.jpg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Big plants making Apple device accessories using robots.

I'm kind of struck in awe and amazed by him to be perfectly honest just like Obama(for different reasons lol) we will never have a president like this ....we are literally living in history lol he's just something else

Dierce

Why don't his rural bigot supporters not go to 'libural' colleges and study a STEM career to land a high paying job at Apple instead of working at a fucking factory.

We wouldn't have a company like Apple and other high tech businesses if not for liberals. Are they so insecure of their own beliefs that they know that going to college will likely make them challenge their own ignorance.

ggx2ac

They didn't say it would be for iPhones though... And what qualifies as big? The Mac Pro was made in the USA and then it didn't get an update for years until Apple admitted the last design was a mistake.

You are correct, we wouldn't know what they're manufacturing and it mentions in the article how a small share of US companies contracted by Apple make Macs however it mentions the only(?) Apple owned manufacturing plant is in Ireland which has been in operation since the 1980s because of the low taxes on overseas profits that it makes.

So the article mentions how unprecedented it would be to have Apple own another three manufacturing plants especially in the US.

Top Bottom