• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump supports completion of Dakota Access Pipeline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

U.S. President-elect Donald Trump on Thursday said for the first time that he supports the completion of a pipeline project near a North Dakota Indian reservation, which has been the subject of months of protests by tribes and environmentalists.

A communications briefing from Trump's transition team said despite media reports that Trump owns a stake in Energy Transfer Partners, the company building the pipeline, Trump's support of the pipeline "has nothing to do with his personal investments and everything to do with promoting policies that benefit all Americans."

"Those making such a claim are only attempting to distract from the fact that President-elect Trump has put forth serious policy proposals he plans to set in motion on Day One," said the daily briefing note sent to campaign supporters and congressional staff.

Activists have spent months protesting plans to route the $3.8 billion Dakota Access Pipeline beneath a lake near the Standing Rock Sioux reservation, saying the project poses a threat to water resources and sacred Native American sites.

On Thursday, U.S. military veterans were arriving at a camp to join thousands of activists braving snow and freezing temperatures to protest the pipeline.

Republican Trump has been a vocal supporter of another high-profile pipeline project, Transcanada's Keystone XL, which Democratic President Barack Obama denied a permit for last year.

Republican North Dakota Senator John Hoeven said he met with Trump's transition team to discuss the delayed pipeline.

"Today, Mr. Trump expressed his support for the Dakota Access Pipeline, which has met or exceeded all environmental standards set forth by four states and the Army Corps of Engineers," Hoeven said in a statement.

"It is important to know that the new administration will work to help us grow and diversify our energy economy and build the energy infrastructure necessary to move it from where it is produced to where it is needed," he said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...1efe&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

The bolded made me laugh, so basically it 's getting completed no matter what.

A communications briefing from Trump's transition team said despite media reports that Trump owns a stake in Energy Transfer Partners, the company building the pipeline, Trump's support of the pipeline "has nothing to do with his personal investments and everything to do with promoting policies that benefit all Americans."

"Those making such a claim are only attempting to distract from the fact that President-elect Trump has put forth serious policy proposals he plans to set in motion on Day One," said the daily briefing note sent to campaign supporters and congressional staff.

This is so fucking embarrassing. Trump having the status as an outsider should have been treated as a joke by everyone from day one.

Zero315

Banned
Considering he stands to benefit from another pipeline that's planning to be built through native lands, why wouldn't he support this one and want to see it get pushed through?

If this one gets stopped it sets precedent for the one he profits from to be stopped.

The pipeline is complete except for the last mile which is being fought over. That's one mile out of an existing 1,172 mile project.

I don't see it being scrapped any time soon.

Rerouted maybe, though I don't see how they can avoid endangering the river whatever the route.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
To the surprise of no one.

Bullshit. Trump's in this only for himself, and maybe his family.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
There it is. Natives aren't Americans, clearly, since this doesn't benefit them in the least.

Zero315

Banned
This is so fucking embarrassing. Trump having the status as an outsider should have been treated as a joke by everyone from day one.

What's funnier is that I know native people who bought into the whole "both sides are the same!" bullshit during the election. All the while they were shouting and protesting the pipeline.

Jenov

"has nothing to do with his personal investments and everything to do with promoting policies that benefit all Americans." **

** except Native Americans

Meier

Yeah, it was obvious that this would just delay it. But I'm glad that at least Obama's legacy is less tarnished by this shitshow and it won't be him that lets it go forward.

Trump's support of the pipeline "has nothing to do with his personal investments and everything to do with promoting policies that benefit all Americans."
I guess Native Americans aren't Americans to him.

Or black people, or Hispanic people, or LGBTQ people, or Jewish people, or women, or the lower class, or the middle class...

Feep

Banned
I've been a bit ignorant on this issue. Is the concern that private companies don't have the legal right to construct on Native American ground? It is that they do, but people are concerned about possible spillage? Is this pipeline any more likely than another to cause spillage? How often do such leaks occur in America?

Thanks in advance for the info.

Jeffrey

the next few years are gonna shape up to be quite a bit of the people vs the GOP government across tons of topics.

Let's see if this 'democracy' thing works or not.

I've been a bit ignorant on this issue. Is the concern that private companies don't have the legal right to construct on Native American ground? It is that they do, but people are concerned about possible spillage? Is this pipeline any more likely than another to cause spillage? How often do such leaks occur in America?

This is from a month ago, but here's a well-researched article as to what the protest's about.

guek

Banned

The construction is not on Native land but puts Native land directly at risk due to being down river. The pipeline was already moved once to avoid the possible impact on a predominantly white town just North of the current site.

The pipeline is modern, there no particular concerns of spillage outside of typical accidents which are very common despite advancements and most often due yo human error, not pipeline design. There have been over 1300 pipeline spills in America since 2000.

Matty77

What's funnier is that I know native people who bought into the whole "both sides are the same!" bullshit during the election. All the while they were shouting and protesting the pipeline.
To be fair both sides are pretty horrible on native issues including this one, and the only reason it's delayed at all is the thousands of Veterans. I have a feeling no thousands of veterans joining in the protests the story right now would be the same as before the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom